If Saquan Barkley really is a better NFL prospect than Zeke.

YoloinOhio

He had 230 and 2 TDs against Alabama. Their front 7 had NFL players everywhere.

Fair enough! He may have had a better OLine, but I’m not arguing his greatness. Personally, I’d LOVE either one, but at what cost? I’m glad we have a lot of picks, because we’re going to need them all!

Barkley has been "contained" in 3 games.

21 carries 44 yards v OSU

20 carries 56 yards v Indiana

16 carries 75 yards v Northwestern

Based on those he is out of Heisman contention IMO. Is this a reflection of Barkely as a runner or Franklin (et al) as a coach?

well they use him a ton in the passing game and on KOR. So all purpose yards is more of a reflection of him as a Heisman candidate. For example I think it was vs Northwestern or Iowa they devoted their D to stopping him in the run game, and he had 12 catches. The one thing I will bring up as it relates to his game on Sat. Night is that when his team really needed him to come through at the end, when all the pressure was on - his heisman moment, if you will - he didnt.

well they use him a ton in the passing game and on KOR. So all purpose yards is more of a reflection of him as a Heisman candidate. For example I think it was vs Northwestern or Iowa they devoted their D to stopping him in the run game, and he had 12 catches. The one thing I will bring up as it relates to his game on Sat. Night is that when his team really needed him to come through at the end, when all the pressure was on - his heisman moment, if you will - he didnt.

He almost spun into huge scoring play, but Baker made one of the tackles of the season just before Barkley took off.

Worse. I just went and looked and found that I thinking of Fuller's tackle on McSorley on the drive that ended in a field goal in the 4th quarter [shrugging emoji]. I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. When was Booker's tackle? I'm watching here https://youtu.be/dminKvaMy8M

EDIT: I see the Booker tackle (not in the above highlight video) with about 13:10 left in the 4th.

Speaking of the unusual effort shown by the DL, here is Sam Hubbard tackling the QB and RB at the same time:

samhubbard-pennstate2017.JPG

Edited by Willyville Guy

Worse. I just went and looked and found that I thinking of Fuller's tackle on McSorley on the drive that ended in a field goal in the 4th quarter [shrugging emoji]. I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. When was Booker's tackle? I'm watching here https://youtu.be/dminKvaMy8M

EDIT: I see the Booker tackle (not in the above highlight video) with about 13:10 left in the 4th.

Speaking of the unusual effort shown by the DL, here is Sam Hubbard tackling the QB and RB at the same time:

samhubbard-pennstate2017.JPG

Hubbards Joey Bosa moment circa 2014

Btw Urb said Nick Bosa had 7 QB pressures 👀

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 1 month later...

Circling back to the title of this thread, despite not being invited to the Heisman vote, I think he’s still being considered a better prospect than Zeke based on some of the stuff I’ve seen from the draft guys 

. He is much cleaner off the field. But, I’m not sure he’s as good of a pure RB. We shall see. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I could totally see the Giants being the type of team to take him at #2 and forego a QB because they think Webb might be the guy and Eli has juice left. Just seems like something they’d do. But who knows with whoever takes over the team. 

I could see that. Same with Colts. They haven’t had the star RB to take pressure off of Luck. If Luck is definitely back, I think they could take Barkley. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 11:40 PM, Dkollidas said:

I could totally see the Giants being the type of team to take him at #2 and forego a QB because they think Webb might be the guy and Eli has juice left. Just seems like something they’d do. But who knows with whoever takes over the team. 

Giants?  They are not often that stupid.   I don't see any way they don't draft a QB.   It's the perfect time for them.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They could be correct.  But this is also lying season too, with some nuggets of truth sprinkled in.  I don't doubt he's talked with teams that don't have him in the top 7.  He doesn't indicate how many teams he's talked to.  But that's beside the point.  No team will give you their position on the QB's at this point either.  They'll indicate that they like a certain guy, but they are not going to say I have Darnold at 1, Mayfield at 2 so on and so forth.

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting.  I have him 6th on my board at the moment but have lots more potential first rounders to fix a grade on.  I know I have said it a few times this past couple of days but I feel like this is a kinda 'meh' draft class beyond obviously a deep QB group.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting.  I have him 6th on my board at the moment but have lots more potential first rounders to fix a grade on.  I know I have said it a few times this past couple of days but I feel like this is a kinda 'meh' draft class beyond obviously a deep QB group.  

I agree with your assessment on this class. QB, RB and LB are the strengths of the class. I think that the OL is pretty good. In general though this class isn’t very deep. You know my perspective on drafting to the strength of the draft. I believe that you get better value that way. 

Additionally in a “lean” draft I wouldn’t hesitate to package picks to move up to a get a specific player if I liked them. This Bills team has a lot of holes but at the same time I would rather get 1 good player than 2 guys overdrafted out of need. As a small example I’d be fine taking the 2 2nds and moving to the back of the 1st to get Sony Michel. While, on paper, it may seem smarter to stand pat and get Royce Freeman and Frank Ragnow I’d rather take the guy that I think can be a star. In strong drafts the quality of players in the mid to late 50’s is equivalent to the top 30 in a lean draft. The guys that will go mid to late 50’s this year might have been a full rounder lower a year ago.

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with your assessment on this class. QB, RB and LB are the strengths of the class. I think that the OL is pretty good. In general though this class isn’t very deep. You know my perspective on drafting to the strength of the draft. I believe that you get better value that way. 

Additionally in a “lean” draft I wouldn’t hesitate to package picks to move up to a get a specific player if I liked them. This Bills team has a lot of holes but at the same time I would rather get 1 good player than 2 guys overdrafted out of need. As a small example I’d be fine taking the 2 2nds and moving to the back of the 1st to get Sony Michel. While, on paper, it may seem smarter to stand pat and get Royce Freeman and Frank Ragnow I’d rather take the guy that I think can be a star. In strong drafts the quality of players in the mid to late 50’s is equivalent to the top 30 in a lean draft. The guys that will go mid to late 50’s this year might have been a full rounder lower a year ago.

Yea the OL at the top end is better than last year but I am not sure the depth is great there to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea the OL at the top end is better than last year but I am not sure the depth is great there to be honest. 

Agreed, but there are some guys that could be perennial pro bowlers (Price, Nelson) and some guys with huge ceilings (Connor Williams). There are starting caliber players there through about round 3 IMO. You are rolling the dice some once you get past there.

Also, out of curiosity how would you have ranked the following players coming out: Barkley, Zeke, Fournette, Gurley?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agreed, but there are some guys that could be perennial pro bowlers (Price, Nelson) and some guys with huge ceilings (Connor Williams). There are starting caliber players there through about round 3 IMO. You are rolling the dice some once you get past there.

Also, out of curiosity how would you have ranked the following players coming out: Barkley, Zeke, Fournette, Gurley?

Zeke would be first I was very high on him. I would have to go back and check my final grade on Fournette last year but he and Barkley pretty close.... all top 10 grades. Gurley I had a mid 1st on. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.