The Dennison Run Attack

As an ex army officer, I love tactics. But I've never had the time to learn the intricacies of NFL offenses. Even with my average-ish understanding, though, the run game has me worried after the Panthers game.

I was in awe of the Roman-designed rushing attack. Sometimes you'd see plays where none of the offensive linemen had to overwhelm their guy. They just had to be in the right place on the right time. Roman's attack was often predicated upon discipline, timing, athleticism and precision. It didn't always require the OL to be maulers. And yet they gave Shady and MB plenty of space to run.

Rico said he spent a lot of time watching the 2016 Bills rushing attack to see what works. And yet Rico's zone-blocking scheme doesn't bear any resemblance - in my eyes - to Roman's scheme. Our OL weren't winning the one-on-one battles against the Panthers that they had to win and the holes weren't there.

I noticed the difference in the blocking/running scheme during the Jets game but we were so productive that game, who cared? But now I'm worried that Rico didn't borrow enough from Roman. Given who we have at QB and WR, we need our rushing attack to be highly productive. Sunday, it wasn't.

I'd love to hear some observations and insights from guys who are better at Xs and Os than I am.

As an ex army officer, I love tactics. But I've never had the time to learn the intricacies of NFL offenses. Even with my average-ish understanding, though, the run game has me worried after the Panthers game.

I was in awe of the Roman-designed rushing attack. Sometimes you'd see plays where none of the offensive linemen had to overwhelm their guy. They just had to be in the right place on the right time. Roman's attack was often predicated upon discipline, timing, athleticism and precision. It didn't always require the OL to be maulers. And yet they gave Shady and MB plenty of space to run.

Rico said he spent a lot of time watching the 2016 Bills rushing attack to see what works. And yet Rico's zone-blocking scheme doesn't bear any resemblance - in my eyes - to Roman's scheme. Our OL weren't winning the one-on-one battles against the Panthers that they had to win and the holes weren't there.

I noticed the difference in the blocking/running scheme during the Jets game but we were so productive that game, who cared? But now I'm worried that Rico didn't borrow enough from Roman. Given who we have at QB and WR, we need our rushing attack to be highly productive. Sunday, it wasn't.

I'd love to hear some observations and insights from guys who are better at Xs and Os than I am.

I've thought over the first 2 games the run game was extremely vanilla. even vs the jets I thought it was predictable..... I think his run philosophy is based off having an offense that can threaten through the air to loosen up the ground game.

...... and its pretty evident this pass offense isn't gonna loosen anything up for anyone.

the entire offense is conservative and pedestrian, at best. I don't understand the drop off. I mean, one can only attribute it to the OC. the cornerstones of the run game are still there (25 and 5).

Dennison's offense lacks explosiveness, and I'm not willing to peg that on the players. the plays themselves leave much to be desired.

Here is a good explanation of inside vs outside zone blocking.

Inside = more often last year

Outside = more often this year

http://youtu.be/8YvJeDA8jlU

1200px-Standard_hole_and_gap_number_for_

Inside Zone runner targets A and B gaps

Outside Zone runner targets B and C gaps or even D

Outside zone runner tends to stretch plays wider towards sideline

Inside zone runner is more north and south

Edited by PolishDave

From what I understand the technique is designed to create gaps when a D lineman over pursues or fails to remain in the proper gap. This is a similar case with last years O line. I think the problems are the vanilla game plan. Last year they ran a lot of read options with Tyrod and Shady to give defenses more to worry about. Also understand the Bills just faced two very formidable D lines. I'm concerned about they next two games if Dennison doesn't get more creative.

I don't recall Buffalo running many (QB keeper) zone reads under Dennison yet either (maybe they ran some - I don't recall them though), whereas Roman liked to use Tryod as a second running back by calling those plays. And they were extremely effective the last 2 years. And they force defenses to pay more attention to the QB in other plays - which can open things up even more for the primary running back (McCoy).

Those zone reads were part of the reason why Buffalo was harder to defend against the run. The defenses had to respect the fact that the QB could very likely end up being the runner - not just the half back. That is where most of the argument comes from when someone suggests that Tyrod adds to the run game in more ways than people realize. He absolutely does - if they use him that way. Defenses can be forced to respect him as an elite runner because he could take one to the house just like a starting running back or shifty receiver can. If the Bills run them, they force the next opponent to game plan for it. That forces defenders to think more after the snap instead of just react. That can slow their reaction time down resulting in a bigger play for our runner. (More yards before contact - as witnessed last year) Some would argue that is part of the reason why the Bills running game was extra - effective the last two years. Defense is more uncertain who is going to be running the ball.

If the Bills don't run and execute those plays enough this year - the defenses don't have to game plan against them and the defenders can key in on McCoy instead of waiting to see which guy is actually running with the ball. The end result is less yards before contact, less yards per play, less chain moving, fewer big running plays, less scoring, etc...

I've thought over the first 2 games the run game was extremely vanilla. even vs the jets I thought it was predictable..... I think his run philosophy is based off having an offense that can threaten through the air to loosen up the ground game.

...... and its pretty evident this pass offense isn't gonna loosen anything up for anyone.

stanky, but true

Duh.

They should've retained every offensive coach they could from Rexs staff.

But Dennison needed "his guys" here.

I got bashed here for saying I wasn't that impressed with the rushing attack against the Jets.

Like I said before the season, expect a significant drop in the rushing attack/offense this year.

new coach came in and said we want to lead the league in rushing. fire all of these offensive coaches that led the league in rushing so that we can get some real coaches in here!

I hate the run game this year. The one thing we had last year was an amazing run game. Use Tyrod in a read option type of approach where a defender has to account for him, and spread the defence out. I had an argument with a few posters last year saying if the bills ran a tradional run game approach, that it wouldn't work, but they disagreed. So far it has been uninspiring, and i think it is terrible that they don't make defences account for taylor's legs on run plays

Duh.

They should've retained every offensive coach they could from Rexs staff.

But Dennison needed "his guys" here.

You know that's how it works though. A new coordinator isn't going to come in and keep most of the existing staff, especially not the guys closest to him. They almost always want their guys. Bills would have needed to keep Lynn as offensive coordinator and they couldn't even if they wanted to as he left to be a head coach.

new coach came in and said we want to lead the league in rushing. fire all of these offensive coaches that led the league in rushing so that we can get some real coaches in here!

lol

I hate the run game this year. The one thing we had last year was an amazing run game. Use Tyrod in a read option type of approach where a defender has to account for him, and spread the defence out. I had an argument with a few posters last year saying if the bills ran a tradional run game approach, that it wouldn't work, but they disagreed. So far it has been uninspiring, and i think it is terrible that they don't make defences account for taylor's legs on run plays

So many people (fans) think it is all because of McCoy's inherent talent. It's not. He is a more talented runner than most, but it was a combination of many things that allowed them to excel - and could allow him to excel here still. (my opinion)

Until the Bills at least start attempting to beat defenses deep in the passing game, the Bills running game is probably going to get a notch uglier yet.

That's all pretty accurate. So is the fact that the Bills were tops in a number of categories in rushing over the past couple of seasons. So why not continue this??

Because it resulted in 8-8 and 7-9. This is a passing league. When you start pulling linemen, you're telling your opponent you're running. It's an instant key. The Bills were still capable of pulling it off but alas it's still .500 ball.

If Tyrod Taylor was capable of a 3-step drop and IMMEDIATE throw (there were guys open) then Carolina would have been forced to respect the tight end and slot receiver. Then your run lanes open up.

I don't believe the Bills hired an entirely new coaching staff just to do the same thing as their predecessors. Sean McDermott cannot bench Taylor immediately and hope to keep the team focused. But at some point, we will see Nathan Peterman behind center. He may not be a 22 yo version of Tom Brady (and then again, he might be), but he demonstrated the ability to make immediate throws. Yeah yeah I know it was preseason. But the fact is that a proper quick NFL throw can be carried out regardless of the competition.

Rick Dennison is charged with creating an NFL offense. It requires an NFL quarterback.

My question is - can our current O Line create the holes needed for an effective running attack? Opponents have figured out Tyrod so they load the box, right? ... thus making it more difficult to run successfully (without threat of passing game). I don't understand scheme like most of you, but when the opponent has 8 or 9 in the box, and they have an above average secondary, it's kind of hard to run successfully, right? Not sure of our O line is winning at line of scrimmage.

That's all pretty accurate. So is the fact that the Bills were tops in a number of categories in rushing over the past couple of seasons. So why not continue this??

Because it resulted in 8-8 and 7-9. This is a passing league. When you start pulling linemen, you're telling your opponent you're running. It's an instant key. The Bills were still capable of pulling it off but alas it's still .500 ball.

If Tyrod Taylor was capable of a 3-step drop and IMMEDIATE throw (there were guys open) then Carolina would have been forced to respect the tight end and slot receiver. Then your run lanes open up.

I don't believe the Bills hired an entirely new coaching staff just to do the same thing as their predecessors. Sean McDermott cannot bench Taylor immediately and hope to keep the team focused. But at some point, we will see Nathan Peterman behind center. He may not be a 22 yo version of Tom Brady (and then again, he might be), but he demonstrated the ability to make immediate throws. Yeah yeah I know it was preseason. But the fact is that a proper quick NFL throw can be carried out regardless of the competition.

Rick Dennison is charged with creating an NFL offense. It requires an NFL quarterback.

The Bills weren't 8-8 or 7-9 last year because they ran the ball well and didn't pass enough. Their defense wasn't any good. Now the defense looks improved, but they have tinkered most with an offense that was working at scoring points.

The Bills weren't 8-8 or 7-9 last year because they ran the ball well and didn't pass enough. Their defense wasn't any good. Now the defense looks improved, but they have tinkered most with an offense that was working at scoring points.

Again, throughout the entire drought, both units.. O and D are never in sync the same year. It's frustrating. Just run the same offense as last year and they are most likely 2-0 right now. The D is 100% better than last year. The O is way worse.

100% agree. It's been said over and over, in the new age of the nfl if you don't have a franchise passer your treading water. Dennison is expected to make magic against defenses that have no fear of a pass threat in buffalo. Yes we had a great rushing attack last year, but as a team we were mediocre at best cuz teams like the steelers last year stack the box and challenge tyrod to throw and it turned into one of the most embarrassing blowouts of the entire nfl season. I'm not a Peterman band Wagoner by any means but I think people will be surprised by how much shady can capitalize on some running lanes from lbs forced to respect even the smallest dink and dunk passes that I think Peterman can make.

You know that's how it works though. A new coordinator isn't going to come in and keep most of the existing staff, especially not the guys closest to him. They almost always want their guys. Bills would have needed to keep Lynn as offensive coordinator and they couldn't even if they wanted to as he left to be a head coach.

lol

So many people (fans) think it is all because of McCoy's inherent talent. It's not. He is a more talented runner than most, but it was a combination of many things that allowed them to excel - and could allow him to excel here still. (my opinion)

Until the Bills at least start attempting to beat defenses deep in the passing game, the Bills running game is probably going to get a notch uglier yet.

.100 percent agree with you

Bills easily could have won 10 games last year if their defence did not sh** the bed and gave up 400 yards plus every game. Rick Dennison is a joke of a coordinator. As soon as he leaves Denver, siemian looks like an absolute stud

I am VERY concerned about Dennissons run attack. One, it was not very creative at all and second, it was highly predictable. And this love affair he has with Tolbert is maddening. McCoy was on the sideline with only 3 carries while Tolber was getting draws up the middle on first down. McCoy needs to be on the field and getting carries unless he needs a break or there is Tolbert type play needed.

In fact, I hated the play calling. I havent been that upset at an OC since that hack Hackett was here running the worst O I have ever seen. I mean as soon as he "had" to turn TT and the offense loose late in the game we started moving the ball. But for 58 minutes its like he was playing to protect a lead not score points. It was maddening and reminded me of the Juaron days.

Hopefully they figure out before next week cuz the Broncos D isn't gonna be much easier.

Bills easily could have won 10 games last year if their defence did not sh** the bed and gave up 400 yards plus every game. Rick Dennison is a joke of a coordinator. As soon as he leaves Denver, siemian looks like an absolute stud

Gotta see more games first.

If the Bills offense goes down the drain - running and passing - and Denver goes to a national championship game or even the Bowl - you bet Dennison is going to look incompetent. And both of those could happen. Doh!

There was something about the way A. Lynn called the games last year that seemed very unpredictable. I know it wasn't a perfect offense but last season I said "wow, great play call" aloud more than any in recent memory.

I understand that Rico has been around a while and knows more about football than any of us ever will. I just think these guys get blinded by their schemes. It's very odd. This years offense has been brutally predictable.

Gotta see more games first.

If the Bills offense goes down the drain - running and passing - and Denver goes to a national championship game or even the Bowl - you bet Dennison is going to look incompetent. And both of those could happen. Doh

Agreed that it is early for Siemian without Rico. And for Rico just starting in buffalo. But just not a good look so far

The Offense and the running game didn't make the Bills 7-9, 8-8. It was a terrible Defensive Scheme that couldn't stop teams that should shoulder most of that blame. Now they've addressed the D, and the O takes a major step back, because the Bills can't put a complete competent staff or personnel together at the same time. This Offense hasn't changed except at the WR position - but I would argue that Woods and Matthews are a push with Matthews probably being a tad better receiver, a tad worse blocker. Sammy wasn't suiting up half the time anyhow. The Offense could move the ball and was effective the past two years - the difference this year - the OC. Trying to recreate an offense to emulate some ideal Offensive style without the personnel to run it seems like an exercise in futility and wastes what looks like a pretty good D IMO.

The cat is officially out of the bag. The entire NFL knows how to stop TT. Simply put 11 in the box to wall out Shady and force TT and this mediocre wr unit to beat you. Ballgame!

It won't matter one lick what elaborate state of the art blocking scheme we use.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

It's been pointed out in this forum several times in the past that the Bills ran zone blocking schemes half the time last season so I don't think our OL is a stranger to much of what Dennison has designed. Sometimes, you have to credit the other team and Carolina's front seven did a masterful job maintaining gap discipline and taking away room. I will say Dennison (read Tyrod) has to take advantage of what defenses are giving him when they commit so much to stopping the run, especially in early downs.

It's been pointed out in this forum several times in the past that the Bills ran zone blocking schemes half the time last season so I don't think our OL is a stranger to much of what Dennison has designed. Sometimes, you have to credit the other team and Carolina's front seven did a masterful job maintaining gap discipline and taking away room. I will say Dennison (read Tyrod) has to take advantage of what defenses are giving him when they commit so much to stopping the run, especially in early downs.

Right--nearly every team in the NFL struggles to get a hat onto Kuechly and Davis, and that's a direct result of Short and Star being able to cause problems themselves.

lol

That's how it works on the Bills, but Denver has an entirely new coaching staff, and a DC who's always been a 4-3 guy. Guess what, the Broncos are still running a 3-4 D that fits their personnel. Maybe the Bills FO should try having a long term plan for building a winning football team and hire coaches who buy into that plan instead of giving every single has-been, neophyte, and expensive buffoon head coach they bring in carte blanche to tear down the entire team to fit his whims ... or the whims of his pals. :thumbdown:

McDermott and his boys will be gone in a couple of seasons or less, and the Bills will once again start from scratch. It's been the story of the last eighteen years, and it's not likely to change unless the team sees ticket sales plummet.

Edited by SoTier

I guess you meant Greg.

I was thinking "Roman" like Publius Cornelius Scipio at Zama.

:lol:

They were 8-8 or 7-9 because the defense sucks. Passing has become the standard but if you're successful running the ball you are keeping the other teams O off the field.

no. silly post.

My criticism of the scheme so far is it is too predictable. It is ALL stretch zone. Roman's scheme had everything. Inside zone, outside zone, power, traps, counters etc... you name it it was there. Its brilliance was in its variety and when the play calling was simplified by A Lynn it was almost unstoppable no matter how many resources teams dedicated to stopping it.

My criticism of the scheme so far is it is too predictable. It is ALL stretch zone. Roman's scheme had everything. Inside zone, outside zone, power, traps, counters etc... you name it it was there. Its brilliance was in its variety and when the play calling was simplified by A Lynn it was almost unstoppable no matter how many resources teams dedicated to stopping it.

It is almost unthinkable that the Bills aren't running more of the north south plays that were proven successful again and again and again over the last 2 years.

Why in the world, as a new (to this team) offensive coordinator, wouldn't you use the simplest most successful running plays that your team executed at a high level the last 2 years?

Only explanation I have is that Dennison must think he is smarter/wiser than Greg Roman and that his way is the RIGHT way and ONLY way.

Edited by PolishDave