What's the stupidest thing you ever bought?

Royale with Cheese

dude, i'm right there with you. in 2010, i bought a brand new bmw convertible. i always wanted one so i figured !@#$ it. now that i'm married and have a kid, i never drive it. it has a total of 13,000 miles on it, and has been in two massive accidents. it wasn't a stupid purchase i guess, just more pointless.

anyone want to buy a !@#$ed up bmw with very few miles on it?

Ha, my stupidity extended even further. Long story, but essentially got in an accident a bit later, and had no insurance, and the accident was my fault.

Was driving around in a 2 year old BMW , with a smashed in driver door and no window drivers side, for 6 months till i could afford the repairs.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bought, but I asked for seats from Rich Stadium when they did the renovations back in 1997, for Christmas. They are still in the same box I got them in, 20 years later, because I haven't lived anywhere that I felt I had somewhere to put them up.

You just made me sad as I have two orange seats from the Aud, sitting in the house I don't live in anymore, and have owned since 2010 with nowhere to put them.

A family friend fell on hard times a number of years ago and started selling everything they had, which included a pool table for $1500. It was a beautiful table, and we wanted to help them out. We had plans to turn our living room into a game room, so we bought it, only to learn two lessons pretty quickly: (1) you don't just buy a pool table and throw it in the back of your truck and (2) I really suck at playing pool.

It looks nice, though. So I have that going for me. Which is nice.

Edited by LABillzFan

A family friend fell on hard times a number of years ago and started selling everything they had, which included a pool table for $1500. It was a beautiful table, and we wanted to help them out. We had plans to turn our living room into a game room, so we bought it, only to learn two lessons pretty quickly: (1) you don't just buy a pool table and throw it in the back of your truck and (2) I really suck at playing pool.

many a piano has been purchased on craigslist based on this same logic.

That purchase doesn't seem pointless, that would be a great car to have around if you aren't making any more payments on it (i'm sure from 2010). What was stupid was two major accidents to ruin it.

very true, but i just don't use it. i take my daughter to daycare all week, and we can't put a child seat in it, so there's no week day driving. maybe a tiny bit on the weekends, but it's just a space consumer in my garage. the accidents were pretty bad. on was my fault and i destroyed the front end. the other was someone else's fault, and i watched a kid who was texting slam into the back of my car while i was at a red light. good times.

Ha, my stupidity extended even further. Long story, but essentially got in an accident a bit later, and had no insurance, and the accident was my fault.

Was driving around in a 2 year old BMW , with a smashed in driver door and no window drivers side, for 6 months till i could afford the repairs.

this is awesome. those damn things are so expensive to fix, not to mention waiting weeks for parts.

a Hutzler banana slicer

https://smile.amazon.com/Hutzler-571-Banana-Slicer/dp/B0047E0EII?sa-no-redirect=1

(read the reviews for a good laugh)

the first few reviews along are gold.

dude, i'm right there with you. in 2010, i bought a brand new bmw convertible. i always wanted one so i figured !@#$ it. now that i'm married and have a kid, i never drive it. it has a total of 13,000 miles on it, and has been in two massive accidents. it wasn't a stupid purchase i guess, just more pointless.

Yeah... I will take it off your hands for 1500 bucks Do you PayPal. I can pick it up next Tuesday.

See, your life just got easier.

I'll give you $2,000 for it.

That purchase doesn't seem pointless, that would be a great car to have around if you aren't making any more payments on it (i'm sure from 2010). What was stupid was two major accidents to ruin it.

No. It was stupid! Totally stupid. And I will go a little higher teef... I will take it off your hands for 1550.

Deal? Even all busted up.

How much you want for them? I have a friend that collects vintage consoles and games

I still have an old Sears Version of the Atari 2600 with about 20 games... Still working... Joysticks and paddles a little shakey. Playing BreakAway (Sears clone version of BreakOut) gets shakey w/paddles... Have to use "Kentucky windage" and compensate a bit by anticipating the worn out spots.

I still have an old Sears Version of the Atari 2600 with about 20 games... Still working... Joysticks and paddles a little shakey. Playing BreakAway (Sears clone version of BreakOut) gets shakey w/paddles... Have to use "Kentucky windage" and compensate a bit by anticipating the worn out spots.

Used Atari 2600 aren't worth much, too common. Dreamcasts and Jaguars are worth more because relatively few were made

Used Atari 2600 aren't worth much, too common. Dreamcasts and Jaguars are worth more because relatively few were made

Oh. Cool anyway, still fire it up from time to time. Amazing, still got "Adventure"'memorized in my 49 year old noggin and can still find the "Easter Egg" in that game... Had to be first Easter Egg ever executed?

*Slay all dragons in same room and put tools (keys and sword), chalices behind lower right power wall... You will get the credits to the game.

I had a beautiful Brunswick table in Florida, but the corporate relo package would not move it to Atlanta. I paid about $2,500 for it and used it often. I was perfect in the living room with the big screen and ample seating. My "happy place". I was offered $700 for it, but knew it was worth more. The place I bought it from took it back on consignment, then went out of business. I got zip. Nada. Lesson learned, but I loved it while it lasted. I regret moving from Sarasota, but have no qualms over the money lost on the table.

Please tell me that is included in the $1500.

If it was, I would not be in this thread.

I loved it while it lasted.

Mine's a Brunswick, too, and I genuinely enjoy playing pool. I just inherently suck at it. This is an obscure reference, but every time I take a shot, I can see what I want to do...and I know what I want to do...but I ultimately look like Navin R. Johnson trying to keep the beat with the blues.

Mine's a Brunswick, too, and I genuinely enjoy playing pool. I just inherently suck at it. This is an obscure reference, but every time I take a shot, I can see what I want to do...and I know what I want to do...but I ultimately look like Navin R. Johnson trying to keep the beat with the blues.

My father was really good (straight pool was his thing) and we had a table in the basement for most of my misspent youth. During high school I had a buddy a year or two older who I'd meet after he got of his job as head waiter at some nice joint in Clarence. He made big bucks every night and would buy me beer for hours, so it was all good. This went on for a year or two before I learned he was actually betting on me on the pool table. He wasn't buying me beer - I was buying HIS beer!

If I picked up a cue today I'd suck big time. It took quite a while to get close to having my touch back. I was never great, but I could beat your average drunk most of the time.

Funny story, in my banking days I had a straight laced CPA client who was also on my Advisory Board. We went to a nice dinner one night with the wives then stopped at another clients bar/pool hall on the way home. I was shocked that they had brought their own cues in cases. We walked in and found about 25 tables all full, so we needed to put down quarters and win a table. I scouted around and found a couple half-toothless rednecks slapping balls all over, so I put quarters there.

Well, little did I know they were playing that you have to sink the 8 ball in the pocket you dropped your last ball. That explained a lot! I got a lot of crap for using our friends personal cue-in-a-case, but won the table. They were so pissed they offered to spot me a ball and play for $20, which rose to 5 balls for $100. "No thanks, I'm just here to play with my friends". We had the bar owner make sure we got safely to our car that night.

If it was, I would not be in this thread.

I was born, a poor black child.