National Anthem (Cameron Jefferson)

bmur66

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/31/cameron-jefferson-heckled-bills-fan-fist-roster-spot-remain-air/

It's the National Anthem. Stand and show your respect. It's not a time to call attention to yourself or whatever your individual cause is. This is probably the only time you will hear that guys name other than on the cut list. If you don't know what to do during the National Anthem look at Eric Wood in the photo.

I swear if any Bills player doesn't stand for the National Anthem and the team does nothing about it I will not support this team any longer.

Who is with me?

I'm with you. An NBA player did something similar in the past, was fined by the NBA and his team if I recall correctly. If you want "Unity," there is nothing more unifying that everyone from different backgrounds, with different views, etc. standing for the Country that permits such differences. It's ironic when certain people refuse to stand for the Anthem, and then say the Country needs to be more unified.

Also, Jim Brown is with you.

Edited by RyanC883

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell my kids to and others around me do as a result.. but its an example I set for me.

If my kids didn't take their hats off or acted in any manner I felt was disrespectful - they would get a slap in the head and be made to do it - the boys anyway - at least until they are 40 years old or older - at that point I give up.

Congrats to you for being a lover of positive tradition.

If my kids didn't take their hats off or acted in any manner I felt was disrespectful - they would get a slap in the head and be made to do it - the boys anyway - at least until they are 40 years old or older - at that point I give up.

Positive tradition, I like that... not required but positive...

The respectful Jim Brown who beat multiple women. What lovely company.

As TYTT pointed out upthread - would you care to compile a list of sins that preclude you from having meaningful opinions on one topic or another?

As TYTT pointed out upthread - would you care to compile a list of sins that preclude you from having meaningful opinions on one topic or another?

I think the point is that people are willing to side with woman beaters but not people that raise their fist for the anthem. Which is pretty messed up, you have to admit. Richie Incognito has done worse things than anything Can Jefferson did yesterday and I'm not even talking about the Dolphins locker room crap.

It doesn't preclude Jim Brown from having an opinion. I never intimated that he should be quiet on the subject.

Just pointing out that on moral issues, aligning yourself with him might be deemed as sub-optimal.

Because slapping kids, oh wait, just the boys, is a positive tradition...ironic

It doesn't preclude Jim Brown from having an opinion. I never intimated that he should be quiet on the subject.

Just pointing out that on moral issues, aligning yourself with him might be deemed as sub-optimal.

I'll task you with explaining what Jim Brown's past transgressions have to do with his morality as relates to his stance on this issue?

He also dedicates his life these days to helping inner city youth escape the gang lifestyle. By your logic, wouldn't that automatically lend moral weight to his position?

Or perhaps people should stop engaging in logical fallacies, attempting to marginalize Brown's stance by bringing up completely unrelated issues.

I could probably hunt down some murderer that agrees with you on a bunch of things. Does that make your alignment with that issue morally sub-optimal?

People want to say protesting the National Anthem is disrespectful and not the right place or time - But a big part of our Constitution is about freedom of speech and other Bill of RIghts protections for things just like this.

People want to say you are offending the military and their sacrifice - Really? That's offensive? How about the atrocity that is the VA, the number of homeless vets, the mental conditions that go untreated, the minimal pay they receive unless they rise in the ranks? People care about the military when others are watching, but don't give a crap about what actually matters, making sure they are taken care of in their everyday lives.

People say they want to create attention for themselves - Yeah, how is that working out for Kaep? These guys are knowingly putting their livelihoods on the line for something they believe in, when is the last time you did that?

Would I protest it, no. But am I going to chastise someone who does, nope.

Edited by Mark80

We didn't always play the national anthem before sporting events. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/30/a-brief-history-of-the-star-spangled-banner-being-played-at-games-and-getting-no-respect/?utm_term=.6afef360c876 And I'm not really sure why we do it now. I spent a fair amount of time in Britain in my earlier days, and people told me that God Save the Queen was played before the movie started in movie theaters up until some time in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Why did it stop? Why did we never have that in the United States? It seems rather arbitrary, and I'd be for abolishing it except on special days (Memorial Day, 4th of July). Think about Bills fans, many of whom have been getting their drunk on since 8:00 am. Not the most respectful atmosphere for playing our anthem at 1:00 before kickoff, is it?

Having said that, when it is played I stop what I'm doing, take off my cap, and try to stand respectfully facing the flag (or the scoreboard image of the flag), and here in Colorado, I'm pleased to say that the very clear majority of fans do likewise. And I like to see that from the players, coaches, refs, etc. too, but I'm not going to hate on anyone for not doing so.

There is nothing more American than having the ability to stand up for what you believe in.

Thank you! He's allowed to protest in any non-violent way he chooses.... its called being American. OP, take your support to the Patriots....

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/31/cameron-jefferson-heckled-bills-fan-fist-roster-spot-remain-air/

It's the National Anthem. Stand and show your respect. It's not a time to call attention to yourself or whatever your individual cause is. This is probably the only time you will hear that guys name other than on the cut list. If you don't know what to do during the National Anthem look at Eric Wood in the photo.

I swear if any Bills player doesn't stand for the National Anthem and the team does nothing about it I will not support this team any longer.

Who is with me?

Why should patriotism be mandatory in a free country? Why do you assume it's about drawing attention to yourself and not drawing attention to injustice? Why is it never a good time to bring these things up?

Thank you! He's allowed to protest in any non-violent way he chooses.... its called being American. OP, take your support to the Patriots....

He's does not have the right to use his employment as a platform to do so, only the privilege, assuming his employer grants it. If he does so against his employers wishes, his employer has a right to deny him that platform, because the employer owns the platform, and he does not.