Ralph set this team back with his trust issues

Why keep going over stuff from what Clinton was still finishing his presidency?

Ralph kept the team here, made sure to sell to someone who would not move the team, and then basically donated almost all the proceeds to Detroit and Buffalo. Al Davis screwed up too in his old age.

As much as I hate Jerry Jones, at least he was smart enough to turn over a ton of control to Steven, his son, which has improved the team. Don't get me wrong I HATE Dallas, Jimmy Johnson, and want them to never win another SB. I'm hoping the GB of the world keep killings them in the playoffs. The only reason I don't hate the Giants is they beat the Pats twice in the SB.

Revisionist history here. Knox was competent but so painfully conservative his teams could never win a championship, before, during, or after his Bills tenure. Never made the Super Bowl in 22 years of head coaching and had a 7-11 post season record.

Solid guy but after 5 seasons it was time to move on. (Of course it did get worse until Marv came onboard).

I'm not rewriting history. It was horrible after Knox left, probably the worst era of Bills football in my lifetime and possibly in franchise history.

I'm not rewriting history. It was horrible after Knox left, probably the worst era of Bills football in my lifetime and possibly in franchise history.

....but the Knox era is known as " ground Chuck" or "run run pass punt" for a reason.....like watchin' Benjamin Moore dry............

....but the Knox era is known as " ground Chuck" or "run run pass punt" for a reason.....like watchin' Benjamin Moore dry............

We made the playoffs- great defense , strong running game.... Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis a great WR tandem.

All the crap we deal with over the years and we have people criticizing Knox. Come on.

Lee couldn't win on the road. 0-2, with Antietam, Md., and a crushing defeat at Gettysburg.

But he only lost Antietam because McClellan stole his play book.

*sigh* If only Belicheck had the "competence" of Little Mac.

Yeah, that Dolphins home opener put us all to sleep, 4-0 start pretty boring. Be serious.

LOL @ the turds bashing the Pegula's.

But the completely unironic "Pegula's a horrible owner because he's a fan like us! Here's what I think he should do..." are absolutely priceless. :lol:

Considering that I've spent the past few years of Sundays painting rather than watching football, your statement seems to me much more complimentary than I think you intended it...

You didn't watch Ferguson throwing to Cribbs, Butler, Brammer and Lewis? We had good offenses with Knox. He was a great coach

Edited by nucci

We made the playoffs- great defense , strong running game.... Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis a great WR tandem.

All the crap we deal with over the years and we have people criticizing Knox. Come on.

....probably the style that makes it a diminished era irrespective of results..like watchin Benjamin Moore can dry on your porch....

You don't want to bash Ralph Wilson? Okay I will do it for you. Long before Tom Donahue or GM Levy, good old Ralph was running this franchise into the ground. He is the only owner in NFL history to lose the number one pick in the NFL draft to the CFL, for christsakes. Ralph owned the team for 20+ years by the time he drafted Jim Kelly; at which point Kelly saw what a mess this franchise was and jumped to USFL. Read Kelly's autobiography. They had to sneak the hiring of Bill Polian past Ralph, who opposed it. After hall of famer Polian constructed the best teams Buffalo ever had, Ralph fired him. He paid $25,000 for this franchise, which appreciated in value to over 1 billion dollars, and that wasn't enough for Mr Wilson. After realizing a significant profit every year, in addition to his billion dollar + windfall, he decided he needed an extra 10 million so he gives up competitive advantage by moving games to Toronto. The players hated it. John Murphy railed against it. For most of the years he owned this team, their win/loss record has been horrendous. The notion that most Bills fans have,m that is that Ralph deserves hero worship because he kept the team in Buffalo, ignores the huge financial award he received for keeping the team here. And conviently ignores the fact that good old Ralph, in the early 70s, threatened to move the franchise to Seattle, unless the taxpayers of Erie County built him a stadium. For which he paid nothing for. And named it after himself, despite the fact he contributed zero to it, and despite the fact that for all his whining about lack of revenue, he was willing to give up the 5 million plus per year in naming rights to have the stadium named after him, that stadium everybody here but him paid for. The great Ralph Wilson indeed.

+1

+ another 1. I could go on and on on this , but looks like the basic truths have already been posted.

I won't be watching anything live this year. they look to be bottoming out this year. i know they are just trying out guys and patterns last night, so who cares about scores and points, but the talent doesn't look to be there.

win 3 or 4 games, hang onto the top 12 talents on the team, then go get a QB and some other high draft choices. McBeanes will get it turned around. Not that difficult

Edited by jmcraig44

You don't want to bash Ralph Wilson? Okay I will do it for you. Long before Tom Donahue or GM Levy, good old Ralph was running this franchise into the ground. He is the only owner in NFL history to lose the number one pick in the NFL draft to the CFL, for christsakes. Ralph owned the team for 20+ years by the time he drafted Jim Kelly; at which point Kelly saw what a mess this franchise was and jumped to USFL. Read Kelly's autobiography. They had to sneak the hiring of Bill Polian past Ralph, who opposed it. After hall of famer Polian constructed the best teams Buffalo ever had, Ralph fired him. He paid $25,000 for this franchise, which appreciated in value to over 1 billion dollars, and that wasn't enough for Mr Wilson. After realizing a significant profit every year, in addition to his billion dollar + windfall, he decided he needed an extra 10 million so he gives up competitive advantage by moving games to Toronto. The players hated it. John Murphy railed against it. For most of the years he owned this team, their win/loss record has been horrendous. The notion that most Bills fans have,m that is that Ralph deserves hero worship because he kept the team in Buffalo, ignores the huge financial award he received for keeping the team here. And conviently ignores the fact that good old Ralph, in the early 70s, threatened to move the franchise to Seattle, unless the taxpayers of Erie County built him a stadium. For which he paid nothing for. And named it after himself, despite the fact he contributed zero to it, and despite the fact that for all his whining about lack of revenue, he was willing to give up the 5 million plus per year in naming rights to have the stadium named after him, that stadium everybody here but him paid for. The great Ralph Wilson indeed.

I agree he was a poor owner. But what's the sense in going through this again? Let's see if the Pegula's could ever figure this thing out. Not off to a good start, but the preseason is hardly the time to critique the franchise.

AliveSoftAztecant.gif

Nice post. :)

This is a good post

This is a good post

Except for the fact that he could have moved the team many times over and profited far more greatly, or sold it to someone who wanted to move the team. He also didn't name the stadium after himself, others suggested that name when he said he didn't want to sell the naming rights. Finally he donated the majority of his fortune including proceeds from the sale of the team after his death to charities including causes in Buffalo. Other than that, a tremendous post.

Pretty much dead on. He was always a bad football man and mercurial owner but when he got into his late 70's his bad reputation, failing mind and severely compromised commitment to winning(balancing the desire to win WITH stashing $20M-$30M per year for his heirs to pay inheritance tax with) really had Bills fans held hostage.

Bills fans and Sabres fans are currently dealing with Terry Pegula toying with franchises in two sports that he knows nothing about so for the most part it's still a hostage situation. Get a football Czar Pegs.

Pretty much dead on. He was always a bad football man and mercurial owner but when he got into his late 70's his bad reputation, failing mind and severely compromised commitment to winning(balancing the desire to win WITH stashing $20M-$30M per year for his heirs to pay inheritance tax with) really had Bills fans held hostage.

Bills fans and Sabres fans are currently dealing with Terry Pegula toying with franchises in two sports that he knows nothing about so for the most part it's still a hostage situation. Get a football Czar Pegs.

I agree he was a bad football man. I think if he would have left the on-field/personnel decisions to those he hired (GM/HC), he would of had better results.