Anyone else impressed with EJ Gaines last night?

He made some great tackles as well. Not sure if any were in the open field, but I did see him fly in and tackle without fear. Plus, I think he had a few pass break ups as well.

Another thing CBs have to do in a Zone scheme tackle because they have run responsibilities

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing CBs have to do in a Zone scheme tackle because they have run responsibilities

Exactly! He showed no fear running in to make a play. Was kind of refreshing to see that after watching Gilmore whif on just about every tackle attempt.

He was solid like I expected.

There is nothing comparable between zone schemes and man schemes and zone corners and man corners so comparing him to Darby is worthless

He drops well in zone and can read the QBs eyes like a zone corner must

And he brings the wood in the run game with no fear.

Hopefully he keeps climbing the Depth chart

Happy Birthday....can you play Right Tackle?

Haha, that's funny.

In his first action as a Bills player, Gaines collected an interception, but was also credited with a team-high two passes defended and had three tackles to go along with that.

If anything it just showed how much the other players don't know what the heck they are doing in a zone scheme. I think Gaines will end up starting as a result. Seymour is supposed to have contain and he looked lost

Seconded. Gaines looked capable in a scheme that's supposed to be his strength, but he didn't reach "impressive" to me.

It looks like he is injury free. I didn't realize how big he was. I think he will have a great year in this defense with all the pressure from our Dline. Really looking forward to seeing him play this year.

He played behind a great D line in LA....Aaron Donald et al.

Seconded. Gaines looked capable in a scheme that's supposed to be his strength, but he didn't reach "impressive" to me.

Lets settle for capable at this point....as the Bills struggle to put 4 db's on the field who can play.

It's becoming clear from the moves that scheme fit it's very important to Brand and McDermott. Matthews was a signing in that vein too.

As I said last night, imagine what the reaction here would have been if he had dropped that easy interception. :death:

Probably as ridiculous as the reaction was to Darby getting a really easy one.