Character & Jordan Matthews

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you think that work ethic and character might go hand in hand?

Being a goody two shoes and working hard do not go together. Who is the current champ champ in the UFC and undefeated 49-0 boxer? Who is the best player on our team? Didn't he try to have a females only party a couple years ago?

Being a goody two shoes and working hard do not go together. Who is the current champ champ in the UFC and undefeated 49-0 boxer? Who is the best player on our team? Didn't he try to have a females only party a couple years ago?

I only throw all female parties...

Helps weed out the **** blockers :P

I liked Sammy and wish him the best. But I like this trade for a host of reasons - I know there is a thread on that.

What I would like to note in this thread is that with Matthews we get a player of exceptional character and intelligence. A team leader. Google it - I was going to paste in an article on this point, but there are SO many I did not.

He is disciplined, he is an incredibly hard worker, he gives back to the community. He is a chiseled, bulldog of a receiver - I can't remember us ever having one quite like him from a physicality standpoint (Moulds maybe, but he was almost more like Sammy with his downfield ability that I don't think Matthews can match). He is a great teammate- check it, article after article says he was one of the most respected men in the Eagles locker room. He is compared to Jordy Nelson, which I would take in a heartbeat. His story is similar to that of Zay Jones, he worked extraordinarily hard to become what he is and I think he reflects what the new administration wants on the field - and in the locker room and off the field. We should welcome him with open arms. A Buffalo kind of guy. Lunch bucket.

Go Bills!

Nice post, Marlin. I admit I was so concerned about what we lost that I didn't examine what we gained.

As far as I knew, the new guys were jags. Maybe not.

CHARACTER wins you zero games, work ethic and talent wins you Superbowls.

When Marv, for example, used to talk about "character," he specifically meant "football character."

Marv's ideal player wasn't necessarily a choir boy. But he practiced hard, played hard, studied film, studied the playbook, knew his assignments, showed up on time, and committed himself to not letting his teammates down.

Those kind of players do win games. And Matthews seems like that kind of guy.

Nice post, Marlin. I admit I was so concerned about what we lost that I didn't examine what we gained.

As far as I knew, the new guys were jags. Maybe not.

When Marv, for example, used to talk about "character," he specifically meant "football character."

Marv's ideal player wasn't necessarily a choir boy. But he practiced hard, played hard, studied film, studied the playbook, knew his assignments, showed up on time, and committed himself to not letting his teammates down.

Those kind of players do win games. And Matthews seems like that kind of guy.

He sure helped the Eagles.

And he must have meant alot to be dealt with a third rounder for an average DB.

I liked Matthews in the draft. He is a solid type of player. I thought he had a good rookie year. But he was bad last year. The Eagles and their fans couldn't wait to upgrade at receiver. He is a #2 at best.

Just curious. With 73 receptions, more than Sammy has ever had. 804 yards in only 14 games played. Bye, the only 2 games he's missed in his career.

If that's bad, I guess Sammy is bad too.

Yes that one. Before everyone attacks me, let me make things clear. Matthews is obviously not pleased to be leaving Philly. Some of our greatest players weren't initially pleased about coming to Buffalo. Matthews might become a fine player who grows fond of our city and fans. I was just entertained by him acting like a moody child after all this high character talk.

liking what Im reading so far on Mathews. Of course he is upset, as any of you would be if you were unexpectedly fired.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2017/08/12/wentz-tells-roseman-not-happy-matthews-trade/562138001/

Sammy didn't look very upset. There is also a HUGE difference between being traded and fired. With that said, maybe it shows character that Mathews actually cared about his team in Philly. Sammy looked quite happy on the NFL Network last night. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Wasn't Jauron/Levy preaching the same thing?

How'd that work out?

Oh, so the problem they had was the messaging rather than their coaching? Got it.

I swear, the idiotic things that I read here is even worse than ppp

Yes that one. Before everyone attacks me, let me make things clear. Matthews is obviously not pleased to be leaving Philly. Some of our greatest players weren't initially pleased about coming to Buffalo. Matthews might become a fine player who grows fond of our city and fans. I was just entertained by him acting like a moody child after all this high character talk.

Or it was just a late flight (evidenced by security being closed) and he was keeping a low profile.

Regardless, I'm sure he's "disappointed" to be leaving the Eagles and his friends, but I haven't seen any evidence that he's not going to embrace his opportunity here. He's an NFL player, I'm sure knows that it's all a biz and when one door closes, another opens...

We shall see, but even the post with that video says he's a high character guy! :beer:

Or it was just a late flight (evidenced by security being closed) and he was keeping a low profile.

Regardless, I'm sure he's "disappointed" to be leaving the Eagles and his friends, but I haven't seen any evidence that he's not going to embrace his opportunity here. He's an NFL player, I'm sure knows that it's all a biz and when one door closes, another opens...

We shall see, but even the post with that video says he's a high character guy! :beer:

Good post. I couldn't help but notice the contrast between Matthews and Sammy's demeanor after being traded.

He is there all by himself, uprooted to a new city. For cripes sake have you ever had any stress in your life? It doesn't look anything like he is unhappy. It looks like he is a bit nervous.

How could anyone blame him for that?

Well, of course you could. Questioning his character from a few seconds of video.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

I live in Philly but really don't pay attention to the eagles. I did see on the news today, Carson Wentz' reaction, he was very upset, allegedly Matthews was his "best friend", Wentz even drove Matthews to the airport, not if that talks to his character, but when there is that kind of bond between QB and WR, there has to be something there

I liked Sammy and wish him the best. But I like this trade for a host of reasons - I know there is a thread on that.

What I would like to note in this thread is that with Matthews we get a player of exceptional character and intelligence. A team leader. Google it - I was going to paste in an article on this point, but there are SO many I did not.

He is disciplined, he is an incredibly hard worker, he gives back to the community. He is a chiseled, bulldog of a receiver - I can't remember us ever having one quite like him from a physicality standpoint (Moulds maybe, but he was almost more like Sammy with his downfield ability that I don't think Matthews can match). He is a great teammate- check it, article after article says he was one of the most respected men in the Eagles locker room. He is compared to Jordy Nelson, which I would take in a heartbeat. His story is similar to that of Zay Jones, he worked extraordinarily hard to become what he is and I think he reflects what the new administration wants on the field - and in the locker room and off the field. We should welcome him with open arms. A Buffalo kind of guy. Lunch bucket.

Go Bills!

What exactly did you want?

OJ jumping over chairs with a smile?

He is there all by himself, uprooted to a new city. For cripes sake have you ever had any stress in your life? It doesn't look anything like he is unhappy. It looks like he is a bit nervous.

How could anyone blame him for that?

Well, of course you could. Questioning his character from a few seconds of video.

I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning his character. I just find it comical how many of you would be all over that video if he was deemed a "low character" guy.

What exactly did you want?

OJ jumping over chairs with a smile?

Nope, just see my response above. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Good post. I couldn't help but notice the contrast between Matthews and Sammy's demeanor after being traded.

I hear ya - Sammy's stoked, probably thinking "PAY DAY and a fanbase that'll really appreciate me!", whereas Matthews has to face a fanbase that just lost a "star" that he's expected to replace!

From what I've read Matthews sounds a bit like the glue that helped hold it all together in Philly (something not to be ignored in that character / talent debate). I'll be interesting to see what he does here...

Go Bills!

So here is my question: What is wrong with Jordan Matthews that the Eagles would not only trade him for a DB coming off a bad year, but also give away a 3rd round pick?

Eagles have a young QB who needs weapons. Jordan is young.

Whats wrong with him then? Why are the Eagles so eager to get rid of him if he is such a well liked and talented WR? My Eagle fan friends don't share the same affection for Jordan as many here seem to. I mean the Eagles brought in one of the most fragile WR's in the NFL in Alshon to take the #1 job over.

Think about it...not only did they trade him for Darby, a young DB who is hard to know how good he is given he's had a good and a bad year. But they also gave up a 3rd rounder in the process, further showing how little they valued Jordan.

So again, all this talk about how good he is and how good his character is doesn't add up to what just transpired. They packaged all that "talent and character" WITH a 3rd round pick, to get a DB coming off a bad year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Except for when he outperforms him

Which he has never done in any category ever. I love how you like to add in time off the field due to injury as part of the "performance" category. Seriously, do even believe half the stuff you write?

There isn't a single category, skill, talent, etc that Jordan is better than Sammy in outside the argument he has missed less games. And again, the foot issue is a non issue and rarely ever reoccurs. So keep holding on to your false belief that somehow means Sammy wont be able to stay healthy.

I make anyone a friendly wager that Watkins with Goff will out perform Jordan this year. I wont even put an injury disclaimer...flat out, end of year stats wont be close.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Except for when he outperforms him

I seriously question if you honestly believe this. I feel like you are blindly looking at stats to make this point. I watched the Eagles on a semi- regular basis. He started out good and hit a wall. He had huge drops and was completely miscast as a #1 wr. The Eagles and their fans couldn't wait to replace him. He was their number 3 this year.

I'll bet you Sammy has a better year than Jordan Matthews. Name your price.

So here is my question: What is wrong with Jordan Matthews that the Eagles would not only trade him for a DB coming off a bad year, but also give away a 3rd round pick?

Eagles have a young QB who needs weapons. Jordan is young.

Whats wrong with him then? Why are the Eagles so eager to get rid of him if he is such a well liked and talented WR? My Eagle fan friends don't share the same affection for Jordan as many here seem to. I mean the Eagles brought in one of the most fragile WR's in the NFL in Alshon to take the #1 job over.

Think about it...not only did they trade him for Darby, a young DB who is hard to know how good he is given he's had a good and a bad year. But they also gave up a 3rd rounder in the process, further showing how little they valued Jordan.

So again, all this talk about how good he is and how good his character is doesn't add up to what just transpired. They packaged all that "talent and character" WITH a 3rd round pick, to get a DB coming off a bad year.

As a Philly resident who keeps a beat on the team...my view on it is that they didn't see him as an impact guy. He dropped alot of catchable balls, and couldn't handle being the number one receiving option. There were also rumors of a knee injury in the offseason as well as talk of holding out in camp, but he denied both on the first day.

The bottom line is Schwartz wanted Darby for his system, and the Eagles didn't value Matthews. The fact that they also tossed in a third tells me that.

Good guy and hard worker, but not anything special as a player. Probably not worth what he will be looking for in free agency IMO.

I hear ya - Sammy's stoked, probably thinking "PAY DAY and a fanbase that'll really appreciate me!", whereas Matthews has to face a fanbase that just lost a "star" that he's expected to replace!

From what I've read Matthews sounds a bit like the glue that helped hold it all together in Philly (something not to be ignored in that character / talent debate). I'll be interesting to see what he does here...

What exactly did he hold together?

The Eagles went and added Alston Jeffrey and Torrey Smith as well as another receiver in the draft. What does that tell you? And when you get dealt along with a third rounder for an average DB who had a bad year last season, what does that tell you?

This Matthews was the glue...just as productive nonsense is just that.

I will take high character players every time. I believe it is an essential of a winning formula. Because Dick Jauron failed you doubt that? Players that have low work ethic become out of shape and get hurt. Players with low character get suspended. Seems we have a D tackle that would have taught you that.

"Dareus"

I seriously question if you honestly believe this. I feel like you are blindly looking at stats to make this point. I watched the Eagles on a semi- regular basis. He started out good and hit a wall. He had huge drops and was completely miscast as a #1 wr. The Eagles and their fans couldn't wait to replace him. He was their number 3 this year.

I'll bet you Sammy has a better year than Jordan Matthews. Name your price.

To me, I'm a follower of the golic philosophy. Availability is the best ability.

Yes, well the fans have bigger jobs in LA.

Great point. I got a good laugh out of that. I think LA might be "good enough" for him. I wonder how his ego will take it when he discovers LA people only care about the Kardashians and Christano Ronaldo. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

quite honestly i dont expect Mathews to replace Watkins.....I think that is gonna be Zay Jones Job...that is going to leave Mathews the flexibility to just come in here and make plays (like bolden)

We dont have a bonofied elite WR anymore.....we have a group of pretty good ones