Winners and losers from Bills, Rams, Eagles mega trades.

JM2009

"The Bills

As frustrating as this must be for Buffalo's fans, who are stuck undergoing yet another rebuild, the Bills are making the right sort of moves as they try to build a team to (eventually) make noise in the postseason. It's clear that the organization had soured on Watkins and had serious concerns about his ability to stay healthy; otherwise, they wouldn't have passed up the wideout's fifth-year option. And if the Bills don't have a lot of faith in Watkins staying healthy enough to pass a physical in 2018, it's difficult to imagine that they would see signing Watkins as a wise decision in the long term, either.

If you're going to move on from Watkins, then, this is a reasonable haul. You might argue that the Bills make a slight downgrade at cornerback by swapping Darby for Gaines, who has struggled with his own foot injuries. It's pretty clear Watkins has a higher upside than Matthews, although the higher floor for Matthews might offer some level of certainty the Bills prefer if they're handing out a long-term deal.

What's really crucial, though, are those extra draft picks. As projected by FPI and using Stuart's chart, the Bills trading their sixth-round pick for Los Angeles' second-rounder and Philadelphia's third-round pick to trade Rams pick (37, fifth-lowest FPI projection) and Eagles pick (80, 16th-lowest FPI projection) for pick 190 (the Bills have the sixth-lowest projection and that was the sixth-lowest pick of the sixth round, obviously the exact pick will pend specific compensatory selections) is roughly the equivalent of acquiring the 16th overall pick in a typical draft (17.1 points, closest to value of 16th pick, 16.9 points).

That gives the Bills what essentially amounts to three first-round picks in the 2018 draft, given that they'll have their own pick and Kansas City's selection from the Patrick Mahomes II trade. They can add a third-round compensatory pick for Stephon Gilmore if they cut three players from the group of DiMarco, Vladimir Ducasse, Ryan Harris, Andre Holmes and Steven Hauschka before Week 10, a move I would strongly encourage. Draft picks alone aren't a solution, but the best way to build a sustainably effective team isn't to trade up for a stud wide receiver or an inside linebacker, as the Bills did by sending multiple picks to acquire Reggie Ragland last season. It's to acquire draft picks and build a core of cheap, effective talent. As the Bills try to chase the juggernaut Patriots, they're wisely taking a page out of Bill Belichick's book."

Comments

The #Bills literally just sent away Doug Whaley's prized draft jewel. My next question is, now what about Ragland?

A Plan.

It's actually happened. I've seen a plan from a Bills front office. It's as if Jesus has come down from the clouds and kicked tom brady in the nuts.

So it appears, from the journo's that cover the Bills that I respect and some well-reasoned arguments from a couple people from National publications, that the Bills were the projected winners of this trade. On the other side, you have some very emotional fans who apparently seemed content with the direction this Franchise had been moving over the past few years (Not surprisingly, most of these very same fans were Whaley supporters). Oh and Rodak seemed to not like the move.

Taking a quick break from updating the trade story to say I'm not sure this qualifies as "tanking." Matthews and Gaines can play. #Bills

Exactly, its not tanking, but doing what many here have been crying for them to do every year, acquire more picks

They got decent players back and some good picks to add to what they already have for next year.

Watkins was never what he was hyped to be when he was picked and he always was off injured or playing hurt.

in the end they replace him with someone who should atleast be able to replace the production they have gotten from sammy to this point but may have a lower overall ceiling compared to what sammy could potentially have

I don't see it as a tank either.

I just think the return for Sammy is underwhelming.

it is based off of the hype of what sammy should have been, but for what he has actually done on the field, it doesnt seem bad. outside of buffalo, i dont think sammy has been viewed as highly as here.

So it appears, from the journo's that cover the Bills that I respect and some well-reasoned arguments from a couple people from National publications, that the Bills were the projected winners of this trade. On the other side, you have some very emotional fans who apparently seemed content with the direction this Franchise had been moving over the past few years (Not surprisingly, most of these very same fans were Whaley supporters). Oh and Rodak seemed to not like the move.

Nice post, pretty much says it all.

Onward and upward!

Jay SkurskiVerified account @JaySkurski 2h2 hours ago

More

Taking a quick break from updating the trade story to say I'm not sure this qualifies as "tanking." Matthews and Gaines can play. #Bills

It looks that way

They talk about floor of these new guys. I rather have 14-16 solid starts from a WR than paragraphs about potential while he nursed his injury of the month.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

LA is taking a chance that Sammy will want to stay there with a bust QB at the helm. Giving up a second and a player is a big risk on their part. I don't think either side "won"

As for Darby, he didn't fit the scheme. It is what it is. When you change coaches and schemes every 2 years that's what happens

Jeeze

You don't preach a playoff mentality by quitting!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry jm2009 that your primary excuse Sammy was traded.

Now is the time for all Bills fans to fully grasp what is.

Time to live up to your claim of being a TT fan.

Stop the excuses and rally behind him.

No more whining all he has is Sammy

Go Bills

In the Ginger Hammer 🔨 I trust!!!!

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

A Plan.

It's actually happened. I've seen a plan from a Bills front office. It's as if Jesus has come down from the clouds and kicked tom brady in the nuts.

This might be my favorite reaction so far.

After mulling it all afternoon, I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Just hope and pray these guys know what they're doing.

Well considering that he was injury prone, in his last contracted year and that he expected to be paid like a top 3 WR, I think that the return on the trade was better than it appears on the surface.

LA is taking a chance that Sammy will want to stay there with a bust QB at the helm. Giving up a second and a player is a big risk on their part. I don't think either side "won"

As for Darby, he didn't fit the scheme. It is what it is. When you change coaches and schemes every 2 years that's what happens

If Sammy can stay healthy and helps make Goff look a NFL qb, they murdered us.

The Darby one is more understandable even if we did just get a #2 wr on his best day.

The only thing that will make these into a bad deal for the Bills is IF Sammy stays healthy and shows the hype/potential we all kept hearing about him this year for the Rams

But thats all we have heard for the last few years about him, he has huge potential, if he stays healthy he will be a game changer, and yet every year he keeps having these nagging injuries that either keep him out or have him playing hurt. He has already come out saying he wants huge money, and would everyone be happy of the Bills gave it to him after maybe 1 year of him being healthy (if he could stay healthy this year)?

ame="Call_Of_Ktulu" post="4462978" timestamp="1502484878"]

You just put that together?

TT has played much better than Geoff in his first season as a starter. And yes , he only has two years as an actual starting NFL QB.

Winner ... Rams

Even ....... Eagles

Loser ..... Bills

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

SNAFU 17

Hope not.

Big loser: Doug Whaley.

TT has played much better than Geoff in his first season as a starter. And yes , he only has two years as an actual starting NFL QB.

Hope not.

Big loser: Doug Whaley.

Whaley became a winner because of how bad these trades are. His McCoy trades laughs at you and Beane.

I love the trade. We got a starter at DB plus a 2nd round pick for a guy who rarely played, and complained about how many passes were thrown his way. Never liked him.

Matthews is a really good receiver, and we picked up a 3rd. For Darby.

The key to pass defense is the pass rush. If we get that in order, our defense will be great.

it is based off of the hype of what sammy should have been, but for what he has actually done on the field, it doesnt seem bad. outside of buffalo, i dont think sammy has been viewed as highly as here.

That may be true.

Let me just say that I was a fan of Sammy when he was at Clemson, and I wanted the Bills to draft him, even though it seemed unlikely.

The trade up did not bother me, because I believed that Sammy could be a star in this league. Unfortunately Sammy got hit with injuries, and nobody can predict injuries.

If Beane & McDermott feel that it is not in their best interest to keep Sammy, so be it.

I'm so-so on the trade. I'm glad we have an extra 2nd round pick, but I don't really know what to expect from Gaines.

As much as I like Jordan Matthews, the Bills are now left with a bunch of possession type of receivers. Sammy was our only real speed threat. So I am puzzled as to what to expect from our WR corps this year.

Ain't that the truth! We have seen that first hand.

That's why I want this new GM and coach here for at least their current contracts - 5 years. I want to see what happens when you actually have the same people in place and take the time to build old a team that fits them (and give them the chance to improve that team once it's built). Bad teams stay bad by constantly changing coaches, that's something I really believe as I have witnessed it with my own eyes over these last 15+ years with the Bills. I'm sick of the constant turnover. You can never build a true vision and it's extremely hard to develop your draft picks constantly changing scheme. You end up letting a lot of good players go, like we have.

This isn't going to be some quick 2 year fix either. It has been decades of ineptitude. That's not a quick fix. The rebuild could hit another gear next year, too, depending on how this year goes.

It's probably about time for a new approach. I'm not saying I'm excited that Sammy got traded away, but when's the last time the Bills have actually built through the draft? It's been a while. Seemed to work for Polian and the '90's Bills. They had multiple early draft picks in '85, '86 and '87 IIRC.

Maybe so, maybe not.

Beane said he had been receiving calls about Watkins since June. I imagine he didn't take the low bid.