Lawson slimmed down

Wow he looks 20+ pounds lighter in this pic.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/07/29/slimmed-shaq-lawson-wreaking-havoc-early-training-camp-bills/

Says he is weighing 268 and played last year at 275. He looked closer to 295 last year. This is great news. He looked more like a DT last year than an OLB. He should be a terror at DE.

Our entire DL should bounce back in a big way from the Ryan disaster.

Cheers....

PITTSFORD -- Maybe Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley just thought they were smarter than everyone else.

What other explanation could there be for why the Buffalo Bills' former head coach and general manager invested a first-round draft pick in Shaq Lawson last year only to change his position?

"Yeah, that was kind of odd," Lawson said after the Bills wrapped up their third practice of training camp at St. John Fisher College. "It really was. I knew I wasn't a fit for that defense. They thought I was. I just tried it out. I wasn't very comfortable."

Interesting... hopefully we see a totally different Shaq this season. Freaking Rex. Forced a very good, simple 4-3 defense to play a waaayyyyy over-complicated 3-4 defense that didn't really fit many of the defensive players. Then when they get a chance to draft a guy in the 1st, they pick another player who doesn't fit their scheme...

PITTSFORD -- Maybe Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley just thought they were smarter than everyone else.

What other explanation could there be for why the Buffalo Bills' former head coach and general manager invested a first-round draft pick in Shaq Lawson last year only to change his position?

"Yeah, that was kind of odd," Lawson said after the Bills wrapped up their third practice of training camp at St. John Fisher College. "It really was. I knew I wasn't a fit for that defense. They thought I was. I just tried it out. I wasn't very comfortable."

Interesting... hopefully we see a totally different Shaq this season. Freaking Rex. Forced a very good, simple 4-3 defense to play a waaayyyyy over-complicated 3-4 defense that didn't really fit many of the defensive players. Then when they get a chance to draft a guy in the 1st, they pick another player who doesn't fit their scheme...

Had he kept Schwartz, Rex and that 4-3 wide 9 defense would have easily made the playoffs. Mario probably is still on the team and playing well. No less than 3 high draft picks could have been used on safeties, QB's, and TE's.

And Rex would almost assuredly still be the HC. He was never that bad with clock management. He made some bad decision before the half and attempting some FG's that were not likely to be made. But all in all had the defense been maintained, Rex is still here. All that fat bastard had to do was add in a few exotic blitz packages to run 3-5 times per game. But no he has to switch everything and make our elite DL look and play horrible.

Hmmm... A tad more nimble too, I'd say... Be dangerous if he got a little bit more technique... Can't wait 'til we have Dareus next to Da'Ron Payne, plus a veteran, well-oiled, Lawson collapsing the edge.... Ugh! -Gonna be so sweet!

isnt it better to draft bpa than for need or position? Its the coaches fault for not using his players right

I'd agree with you. The good coaches adjust their scheme to suit the players they have. Rex Ryan does the opposite

"I knew I wasn't a fit for that defense"

I don't like hearing him say that. Just take responsibility for your play last year. I find it unprofessional to blame the guy(s) who left...just my opinion.

You dont even know the context of how that was asked Freddie?

Reporter "do you feel that last year was not a good scheme fit for you"

Player "responds to question"

That could have been the way it went down correct? Its not like he was complaning last year while the season was going on correct?

What if he is just telling the truth in response to a media question?

That could have been the way it went down correct? Its not like he was complaning last year while the season was going on correct?

Agreed. I like it when athletes are honest. He has a body frame perfect for a 4-3 DE. He never played OLB in college.

Still he was fat and slow last year. He had shoulder surgery not knee surgery. He could have shown up in shape and 20 or more pounds lighter than he did even with the shoulder injury.

But past is past. They need this kid to be a star. Play fast and get to the QB just like Mario said.

Agreed. I like it when athletes are honest. He has a body frame perfect for a 4-3 DE. He never played OLB in college.

Still he was fat and slow last year. He had shoulder surgery not knee surgery. He could have shown up in shape and 20 or more pounds lighter than he did even with the shoulder injury.

But past is past. They need this kid to be a star. Play fast and get to the QB just like Mario said.

He was a rookie learning a new position, coming off shoulder surgery and who missed all of training camp and half the season. He deserved some slack.

He would've been more honest by saying that he just sucked last year. Period.

Had he kept Schwartz, Rex and that 4-3 wide 9 defense would have easily made the playoffs. Mario probably is still on the team and playing well. No less than 3 high draft picks could have been used on safeties, QB's, and TE's.

And Rex would almost assuredly still be the HC. He was never that bad with clock management. He made some bad decision before the half and attempting some FG's that were not likely to be made. But all in all had the defense been maintained, Rex is still here. All that fat bastard had to do was add in a few exotic blitz packages to run 3-5 times per game. But no he has to switch everything and make our elite DL look and play horrible.

Except everyone was out of shape, undisciplined, and unprepared.

It's hard to know what to make of reports that Lawson is beating Dawkins and Mills in the pass rush because Mills is a relatively weak pass protector and Dawkins is a rookie. It could be that Lawson is a better pass rusher than people thought or it could be that the tackles are worse than people thought. Hopefully it's the former but we won't know until they line up against some other teams.

Edited by vincec

To be fair, "I felt uncomfortable" and "if I was healthy and went all in on the change I still couldn't have excelled in the role" are not the same thing.

As a college kid coming to the NFL and playing a new position--- it would be strange if he didn't have comfort issues.

That said, I'm happy he's back in a 43 even if I don't think it's a magic fix all forvthe defense where we shoot right into the top 5 for sure

I wouldn't be surprised if Rex wasn't calling for both Lawson and Ragland. Maybe Whaley agreed or maybe he didn't but no doubt Rex had a big influence over that draft.

It was totally Rex call. Whaley did his job as a GM and got the players his coaches wanted. We had a dysfunctional organization. Whaley didn't even get to pick his own head coach. He should have realized Rex was a clown and picked his own guys.

It was totally Rex call. Whaley did his job as a GM and got the players his coaches wanted. We had a dysfunctional organization. Whaley didn't even get to pick his own head coach. He should have realized Rex was a clown and picked his own guys.

That actually is not the job of a GM, and that's why Whaley is no longer a GM.

Really liked this pick when they made it. Shaq appears to have the talent AND the intangibles. Strong work ethic. High motor on game day. Tremendous passion for the game. I think he gets to ten plus sacks this year. Hes my kind of player.

Mcdermott kinda guy, before we had Mcdermott.

That actually is not the job of a GM, and that's why Whaley is no longer a GM.

You should just be... scouting and getting good players.

It's hard to know what to make of reports that Lawson is beating Dawkins and Mills in the pass rush because Mills is a relatively weak pass protector and Dawkins is a rookie. It could be that Lawson is a better pass rusher than people thought or it could be that the tackles are worse than people thought. Hopefully it's the former but we won't know until they line up against some other teams.

It's his first camp too. You work on technique and fundamentals in camp. He came mid-season into practices and was probably at least somewhat focused on where he needed to be.