Sammy Watkins:"I love Buffalo.My job is to stay here forever

@jonahjavad

#Bills WR Sammy Watkins on team declining to pick up 5th-year option: "It's my job to go out there and earn it and stay healthy." @WGRZ

#Bills WR Sammy Watkins: "I love Buffalo. My job is to stay here forever." @WGRZ

Watkins says he's self-motivated this year (staying healthy, winning games, playoffs) & the contract/money are not part of it. #Bills @WGRZ

@joebuscaglia

Sammy Watkins says there isn't any lingering thought about the team declining his fifth-year option . #Bills

#Bills WR Sammy Watkins said the foot stopped hurting him right after he had surgery, because, well, he blocked out the pain.

Sammy Watkins: "The foot is fine. I'm healed. Just trying to get back on the same page as Tyrod."

This is a good attitude to have. I'm pulling for him, never thought he was or is a bust.

I can look past his "go back to your little jobs" comment since I know what twitter trolls have to offer.

He posts on FB and IG too which can be even worse with the stupid comments

My thoughts remain that he's well intentioned but immature when it comes to a corporate all eyes on him role. I don't think he's a bad guy just one with a lot of learning to do. Hopefully he does it quickly and with us.

Be interesting to see what we can do with a healthy and motivated Watkins and Dareus this season. Staying healthy is the absolute key. I feel like the players have bought into what McDermott is selling, the motivation seems to be here this year.

It's easy to say before camp even starts - but fingers crossed

They are two impact players that if we get 16 weeks of their best, they can carry this team to the playoffs

Edited by NoSaint

It's easy to say before camp even starts - but fingers crossed

They are two impact players that if we get 16 weeks of their best, they can carry this team to the playoffs

Yeah they def have to prove it on the field and for an entire season no doubt, but I guess my point was that those are two premier players at their position in this league and we haven't gotten a chance to see them play up to their true potential at the same time(ok I will throw McCoy in here as well). If all 3 of those guys can have career years and Tyrod can at least play at a decent level then maybe we are talking about a 9-7, 10-6 team after all. This team does have talent but under Rex he was just never able to get these guys at their full potential.

This is a good attitude to have. I'm pulling for him, never thought he was or is a bust.

I can look past his "go back to your little jobs" comment since I know what twitter trolls have to offer.

The only reason Sammy can be considered a bust is the cost to get him, the ability to stay healthy or production.

The guy sure is talented but questions certainly surround him.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

The only reason Sammy can be considered a bust is the cost to get him, the ability to stay healthy or production.

The guy sure is talented but questions certainly surround him.

That is why the trade was ridiculous. It put the guy in an impossible spot. Anything short of being league MVP and Super Bowl champion will always be a bust to some.

I am just gonna root for the kid to shine this year

Word. I never understood rooting against players on your team jus cuz they rubbed you the wrong way. Thats so negative. Thats why I stay off twitter and instagram. Too many negative people wit comments because they aren't happy with their own lives.

I really hope he has his best year yet in a Bills uniform. If he stays healthy, I think he will. This offense could be a great fit for him. The last offense was not good for YAC, and that's what Sammy excelled at in college. I'm hopeful that this offense will be much better for getting players YAC.

He seems to be putting in the time with Tyrod too, and I think that's very important. The more trust Tyrod has in him, the more he is likely to get the ball. Tyrod being as cautious as he is at times, I think trusting his WR's is very important to him, and with Sammy missing so much time I think it's been hard to really build that relationship.

I feel like Sammy has just scratched the surface of what he's capable of, and I'd love if he's able to stick around and realize all that potential as a Buffalo Bill. It's nice heading that he seems to feel the same way and wants to stick around here.

He's such a young kid. I don't hold that against him either. I think about some of the stuff I did and said at his age... yikes. lol

Plus, like you said those twitter trolls are brutal. I'm sure they've said a lot worse to him. I cam only imagine reading all those nasty comments constantly. We are only human. Sometimes it's hard to bite your tongue every single time.

Sounds to me like Sammy doesn't "need" Anquan Boldin to teach him how to be a pro.

Remember, Sammy grew up a Bills fan -- I think he means it when he says he wants to stay here.

Word. I never understood rooting against players on your team jus cuz they rubbed you the wrong way. Thats so negative. Thats why I stay off twitter and instagram. Too many negative people wit comments because they aren't happy with their own lives.

Wisdom beyond your years Marty !

:thumbsup:

Sounds to me like Sammy doesn't "need" Anquan Boldin to teach him how to be a pro.

Remember, Sammy grew up a Bills fan -- I think he means it when he says he wants to stay here.

I am serious here.

He likely is relieved a New Coaching staff is here, a new GM and different way of doing business.

I can imagine the few players we have left from the previous years feel more focused and driven.

Go Bills !

Sounds like someone is in a contract year. Please note that this isn't snark, it's just how business is done in the NFL. Sammy's agent is doing his job by telling Sammy that this year will be the most important of his career from a career earnings standpoint and that he needs to be completely focused on his performance. His standard talking points are: you're focused on having a great season, you're healthy, you love it where you are and you're not worried about anything contract-related, you're letting that all work itself out.

There's nothing wrong with any of that and it just might get us a great season from Sammy. Just don't read more into it than that.

Edited by BarleyNY

I think everyone here wants to see Sammy have a great season and get a big extension. I am glad to see Sammy wants that too. Hopefully things go as planned

He is just saying what he knows ppl want to hear...

He will go to the team that offers the most money, it's that damn simple.

However, first he has to play all 16 games and have over 100 catches & at least 12 TD's. He should be having Larry Fitzgerald numbers this season, if not, he's not worth what the Bills already paid for him in terms of draft currency.

Edited by T-Bomb

He is just saying what he knows ppl want to hear...

He will go to the team that offers the most money, it's that damn simple.

However, first he has to play all 16 games and have over 100 catches & at least 12 TD's. He should be having Larry Fitzgerald numbers this season, if not, he's not worth what the Bills already paid for him in terms of draft currency.

He can always be extended before the FA period starts....it's that damn simple.

I think everyone here wants to see Sammy have a great season and get a big extension. I am glad to see Sammy wants that too. Hopefully things go as planned

Willing to bet any amount of money there are people who will say he only did good in a contract year. That you can't go by this season and will no want to give him a big payday.

That being said, I think if Sammy blows the top off and has a monster year, you work on a higher paying deal with incentives and some term... if not franchise tag him and make him do it again for a second year.

Love

Me

Some

Sammy

F#####g

Watkins

That being said, if he stays healthy, I think we franchise him next year and make sure he stays reasonably healthy the following year as well. Could put us in a bad spot at that point, but we'll have the cap space at that point so we can eat another franchise tag at +20% if a deal can't be struck not ideal, but these guys seem to really availability. Might be worth a second franchise tag to see how he does in 2018 as well.

Still my favorite player and praying he's a Bill for his career

After listening to that media session, I came away thinking that Sammy did an excellent job with his answers. The Buffalo media was desperately trying to goad him into giving them some sort of sound bite that they could run with. They tried over and over to get him to say he was frustrated about his contract or not having the option. He handled it well as they kept beating the dead horse. Ask the question once and move on, please.

Love

Me

Some

Sammy

F#####g

Watkins

That being said, if he stays healthy, I think we franchise him next year and make sure he stays reasonably healthy the following year as well. Could put us in a bad spot at that point, but we'll have the cap space at that point so we can eat another franchise tag at +20% if a deal can't be struck not ideal, but these guys seem to really availability. Might be worth a second franchise tag to see how he does in 2018 as well.

Still my favorite player and praying he's a Bill for his career

All of this. I'd like to see another 10 years of #14

He can always be extended before the FA period starts....it's that damn simple.

Not if he wants the largest contract he can get, which hitting the open market will absolutely guarantee if he has a great season.

Contract extensions are for top talent players on winning programs, not loser programs.

Edited by T-Bomb

Willing to bet any amount of money there are people who will say he only did good in a contract year. That you can't go by this season and will no want to give him a big payday.

That being said, I think if Sammy blows the top off and has a monster year, you work on a higher paying deal with incentives and some term... if not franchise tag him and make him do it again for a second year.

That's exactly what I'd do too. No way do I give him the contract and guarantees he's going to demand if he has a monster year - at least not until I see that it wasn't a fluke.

Not if he wants the largest contract he can get, which hitting the open market will absolutely guarantee if he has a great season.

Contract extensions are for top talent players on winning programs, not loser programs.

This is a pretty odd statement and completely false. But I'm not surprised.

What about:

Joe Thomas and the Browns?

Joe Haden and the Browns?

Matt Stafford and the Lions?

Muhammed Wilkerson and the Jets?

Robert Quinn and the Rams?

Gerald McCoy and the Bucs?

Derrick Carr and the Raiders? Yes they were good last year but from 2003 until last year....Raiders were a "loser program".