Sour Sal Maiorana Strikes Again...

An article published in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle yesterday had me fed up with one aspect of the Bills-bashing culture in our regional media outlets. Give this a quick read:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/07/23/buffalo-bills-tyrod-taylor-franchise-quarterback/490092001/

What I have an issue with is HOW nearly all of the media outlets have chosen to paint Tyrod's benching in the final game against the Jets as, and I quote Sal here, "the team essentially tipped its hand regarding Taylor’s future with the team." He also led with the absolutely inflammatory line: "New Years’ Day, MetLife Stadium in the swamps of New Jersey, and Tyrod Taylor’s career with the Buffalo Bills seemed as deceased as Jimmy Hoffa," concerning Taylor's benching.

We all know how things turned out: we kept Taylor; however, at that time--and we continue to hear the regional media barking about this, non-stop, nearly half a year later--nobody seemed to actually know what the benching meant. Here are Tyrod's words on the subject (Sal actually included the quote in his article, but ONLY looked at it from a negative standpoint):

"The next day, after cleaning out his locker, Taylor acknowledged that his time in Buffalo was probably over after two flashy but ultimately uninspiring seasons. “I mean that’s fair to say,” Taylor said. “That’s what it showed. That’s what I think it showed. But at the same time, the conversation wasn’t detailed enough to know if that was the case or not.”

What I have issue with is that our regional media--in general here--tends to ALWAYS pick the negative side of the issue. Tyrod himself wasn't sure whether the benching meant his time was up in Buffalo, or that it meant something else. I'll be the first to conceed that it was handled poorly by the Bills brass (it's probably Whaley's fault... Whaley's gone rogue! Fire him! Oh... wait... nvm...). BUT why can't our writers EVER even entertain a potentially positive spin?

I look at Taylor's benching as one last opportunity for the team to see if E.J. Manuel was worth re-signing as our backup QB, and a chance to look at Cardale Jones (albiet, an abbreviated one; I believe they should have given him the entire second half, but that's another matter). My point is that our regional media consistently chooses to paint most Buffalo Bills' moves in a negative light (in Sal's case here, he even turns the dagger with the Hoffa quote). Why don't we ever see a hint of positivity, when there clearly could be more than one side to the story? Does anyone else agree with me?

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever

Step 1: Make inflammatory hateful Bills article.

Step 2: Wait for it to be shared on social media / message boards

Step 3: Wait for the clicks

I don't even pay attention to them anymore. I don't click on their links or visit the web pages. That's the only way.

Here is the positive spin. If you look at the results of losing that last game it was a brilliant move by Whaley. If we win that game we are in a log jam draft position wise with a bunch of other teams. By losing we secured the #10 pick which we parlayed into an additional first rounder next season by trading back.

It is doubtful that Mahommes would have been available later in the draft for us to trade out of our pick had we won that final game.

I am not a fan of tanking or losing games on purpose but in hindsight it meant nothing with the eventual house cleaning.

It will all come down to who we select next year with the KC pick but right now losing that game looks brilliant.

Here is the positive spin. If you look at the results of losing that last game it was a brilliant move by Whaley. If we win that game we are in a log jam draft position wise with a bunch of other teams. By losing we secured the #10 pick which we parlayed into an additional first rounder next season by trading back.

It is doubtful that Mahommes would have been available later in the draft for us to trade out of our pick had we won that final game.

I am not a fan of tanking or losing games on purpose but in hindsight it meant nothing with the eventual house cleaning.

It will all come down to who we select next year with the KC pick but right now losing that game looks brilliant.

buffalostu2 - There you go: another positive that came out of the situation. Again: I just get tired of all the negativity the media directs at the Bills' every move. Thanks for being posi! Go Bills!

I had no issue with that article. I think it was pretty accurate, and didn't seem overly negative to me (and I'm usually one that hates all the negative Buffalo media articles etc).

If Whaley had stayed, and hired Lynn like the rumors said, I do think it was likely that Tyrod's time in Buffalo could have been done. IMO he did seem ready to move on, and that's what most of the leaks seemed to be saying too (whether they were accurate or not I don't know, sometimes they were and other times they weren't).

I absolutely HATED that benching at the time. Tyrod was coming off his best game as a Bill, and I just felt that was not the way you treat your starting QB. Plus I hated that Whaley once again seemed to be pushing EJ Manuel into the starting role (against the coaching staff's wishes) and I was scared to death that if EJ had a good game Whaley would try and push him into the starting role for next season. I had very little faith left in Doug Whaley to find another starting QB as well, which added to my fears of losing Tyrod.

It all worked out for the best though. We got a much higher draft pick, that was turned into an extra 1st plus what looks to be a very good starting CB and a good RT or WR (can't remember which trade we gave up the extra 3rd in). We kept Tyrod and we got him cheaper for this year (although if he breaks out and becomes our true starting QB of the present/future, it may look like a mistake changing that contract).

buffalostu2 - There you go: another positive that came out of the situation. Again: I just get tired of all the negativity the media directs at the Bills' every move. Thanks for being posi! Go Bills!

Well, I hate to say it, but they have earned it. Your starting QB has the best game of his career and is benched by the GM because he still wants to push EJ, who everyone knew was terrible.Not getting any deal done today with Boldin, today just pushes the fact more that OBD deserves the criticism they get most of the time.

Tyrod has to take a huge step forward or buh bye.

The defense has to make bigger strides than Taylor. As poor as Oakland's defense was, they got 30 turnovers in 2016, the Bills just 18. The offense rarely turned the ball over.

The defense has to make bigger strides than Taylor. As poor as Oakland's defense was, they got 30 turnovers in 2016, the Bills just 18. The offense rarely turned the ball over.

Again Big Strides needed or Buh Bye

And we dont turn the Ball over because of the ultra conservative design and play of the QB.

Edited by MAJBobby

That didn't take long before EJ is mentioned and blamed for something.

TT isn't worth the $27 mil figure he would get if he got injured. He was already dealing with a groin injury that needed surgery.

What FO would take that risk

None.

Exactly. The mistake was not telling TT "You are injured and OL is banged up. It is more important that you get the surgery done as soon as possible."

Again Big Strides needed or Buh Bye

And we dont turn the Ball over because of the ultra conservative design and play of the QB.

Defense did not get the ball back near enough. Giddiness over hoping Taylor fails. weak.

Well, I hate to say it, but they have earned it. Your starting QB has the best game of his career and is benched by the GM because he still wants to push EJ, who everyone knew was terrible.Not getting any deal done today with Boldin, today just pushes the fact more that OBD deserves the criticism they get most of the time.

Yeah, they should have just went all out and broke the bank for a guy who turns 37 in October. I mean, we should clearly sign every single free agent we bring in for a visit, otherwise what are these jokers in the front office doing, right?

And If the guy doesn't want to sign here, we should just hold him hostage or kidnap his family and force him to! I mean, WTF is wrong with OBD? Not willing to go the extra mile....

Seriously though, this new front office had absolutely nothing to do with the whole Tyrod/EJ thing. They have literally all been fired. So how exactly does it push the fact more that they deserve the criticism they get? Seems like you are kind of blaming the new front office for something the old front office did, and holding previous losing seasons against a brand new front office staff.

You are going overboard with this Boldin stuff man. You know zero details of what happened, yet you are laying all the blame on the front office and saying how you're unimpressed and that they deserve all the criticism they get.

Again, what if it was Boldin who didn't want to sign here? That doesn't matter? It's still all Beane's fault? What if we still end up signing him? Does the front office still suck then? Or what if they sign someone better who gets released between now and the start of the season?

Don't you think that it makes sense to maybe wait and see what our new GM does with the next couple drafts and off-season before you decide they suck because they didn't sign one or two free agents that you, personally, wanted them to sign?

Anywa, don't you think it's better that they're actually bringing guys like Maclin and Boldin in for visits? They could just as easily not attempt to bring in any quality free agents and go with what they have. At least they're trying to find good fits for the team. I don't see it as a bad thing that they're not willing to get a deal done at all costs. If the player and money are a fit, great. If not you move on and continue looking for that right fit instead of forcing something. That's how good front office staff's operate IMO.

When mired in a 17 year span of futility, with coaches on the cusp of success (ie- malarkey and Maloney) leaving the team on their own, it is understandable that the press would be negative.I believe this team has possibilities, but the coaching staff will need to bring it out.

Defense did not get the ball back near enough. Giddiness over hoping Taylor fails. weak.

You get all bent out of shape on anyone who even remotely criticizes Tyrod whether the criticism is deserved or not, yet you have no issues criticizing a brand new front office staff for stuff that may not even be their fault?

Do you not see the irony in that?

'Taylor is 15-14 as the Bills’ starter, as mundane as it gets, though he’s actually done better than most Bills quarterbacks throughout their history. However, he still makes more plays with his legs than he does his arm which is not what you want from your quarterback.

Some may not like to read that and call thw writer a hack, but sometimes the truth hurts.

Persecution complex much?

Sorry, but that was a pretty accurate and down the middle assessment of the Taylor situation. The management isnt sold on him and if they were they wouldnt have avoided being on the hook for the 30 mill and wouldnt have reworked his contract. Plain and simple.

Frankly they are right to have doubts. He hasnt shown any consistently good/playoff caliber play as a starter and is in a prove it or get out year. At some point you have to admit he is what he is and move on

It is obvious that any new HC would want some say over the QB position. Benching TT for the last game and telling him nothing about his future is 100% compatible with giving the soon to be hired HC a chance to form his own opinion. That chance to weigh in was likely a critical part of the HC recruiting process. I do not see the need to read any more into than that.

I liked the move TT was beat up and they had a big decision to make regarding EJ and the game was meaningless.

Done and done they found out both EJ and CJ do not have what it takes to play QB in the NFL.

Seems pretty obvious to me that Sal was probably right.

You're right too that it also was a chance to check out the backups in game action. But it almost certainly never would have happened if not for the injury clause in Tyrod's contract. They simply didn't want to take the risk of further injury when that would have meant that they would have been required to keep Tyrod - and at the old and very expensive contract value. It would have meant activating that $30.5 million that was guaranteed to him under the old contact if he was on the roster in March, and he would have been on the roster in March.

It's been pretty clear that Whaley simply did not want to do that.

And that Tyrod is here now for two reasons, first because he was willing to lower his contract and second because McDermott took over the reins of power. He appears to value Tyrod - at least with the new contract - far more than Whaley did.

'Taylor is 15-14 as the Bills starter, as mundane as it gets, though hes actually done better than most Bills quarterbacks throughout their history. However, he still makes more plays with his legs than he does his arm which is not what you want from your quarterback.

Some may not like to read that and call thw writer a hack, but sometimes the truth hurts.

You can statistically prove Taylor makes way more plays throwing than running. But that ruins the narrative. Hack.

Where is giddiness hoping he fails.

I jst said he needs to make big strides or gone. Which is all true.

2009 is on my ignore list for that reason. he's imagines things then he won't let go of his Alternate Truth,

It's been such a pleasure not having to read his lies.

Plus his theory is the correct one. A final chance for EJ? :sick:

to show OTHER teams

some people imagine what they wish to read.

You can statistically prove Taylor makes way more plays throwing than running. But that ruins the narrative. Hack.

hack? Me or the writer? That was taken off the front page of TwoBillsDrive linking a story from the D&C.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

You can kindly disagree what with me, but as I sometimes the truth hurts.

We need a passing QB that can scramble and avoids sacks much more than we need a scrambling QB that avoids sacks and hardly passes.

I am often very openly critical of Buffalo's sports writers smug negativity and lack of talent. I think the OP is WAY overreacting to this piece. Sal took some creative license with the Hoffa analogy, but it was widely believed (not by all, but still widely believed) that was Taylor's last game, under the circumstances.

What I read after that was a fairly accurate assessment of Taylor and his situation, quotes from Beane and McDermott saying they love the person and are hoping the player steps up, and commonly espoused criticisms of his game. He ends with a paragraph about Taylor's self confidence and willingness to prove himself followed by an encouraging quote from him instead of Sal taking a trite cheap shot that is meant to show us all how clever he is, which is TBN's favorite format.

The article has been written a million times, so it's not particularly creative or insightful, but it's not unfair by any stretch.

Edited by transient

I saw nothing inflammatory in the article--- just a recitation of facts we have been dealing with here for over 20 years (uncertainty at QB, with Taylor the latest).

My claim for inflammatory language was based on the following quote, directly from Sal:

"New Years’ Day, MetLife Stadium in the swamps of New Jersey, and Tyrod Taylor’s career with the Buffalo Bills seemed as deceased as Jimmy Hoffa."

Wikipedia's definition of hyperbole (note: Hyperbole is NOT a bush-league bowl game for 6-win collegiate programs):

Hyperbole
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hyperbole/hˈpɜːrbəli/; Ancient Greek: ὑπερβολή, huperbolḗ, from ὑπέρ (hupér, “above”) and βάλλω (bállō, "I throw")) is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. In rhetoric, it is also sometimes known as auxesis (lit. "growth"). In poetry and oratory, it emphasizes, evokes strong feelings, and creates strong impressions.

Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

I rest my case.

An article published in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle yesterday had me fed up with one aspect of the Bills-bashing culture in our regional media outlets. Give this a quick read:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/07/23/buffalo-bills-tyrod-taylor-franchise-quarterback/490092001/

What I have an issue with is HOW nearly all of the media outlets have chosen to paint Tyrod's benching in the final game against the Jets as, and I quote Sal here, "the team essentially tipped its hand regarding Taylor’s future with the team." He also led with the absolutely inflammatory line: "New Years’ Day, MetLife Stadium in the swamps of New Jersey, and Tyrod Taylor’s career with the Buffalo Bills seemed as deceased as Jimmy Hoffa," concerning Taylor's benching.

We all know how things turned out: we kept Taylor; however, at that time--and we continue to hear the regional media barking about this, non-stop, nearly half a year later--nobody seemed to actually know what the benching meant. Here are Tyrod's words on the subject (Sal actually included the quote in his article, but ONLY looked at it from a negative standpoint):

"The next day, after cleaning out his locker, Taylor acknowledged that his time in Buffalo was probably over after two flashy but ultimately uninspiring seasons. “I mean that’s fair to say,” Taylor said. “That’s what it showed. That’s what I think it showed. But at the same time, the conversation wasn’t detailed enough to know if that was the case or not.”

What I have issue with is that our regional media--in general here--tends to ALWAYS pick the negative side of the issue. Tyrod himself wasn't sure whether the benching meant his time was up in Buffalo, or that it meant something else. I'll be the first to conceed that it was handled poorly by the Bills brass (it's probably Whaley's fault... Whaley's gone rogue! Fire him! Oh... wait... nvm...). BUT why can't our writers EVER even entertain a potentially positive spin?

I look at Taylor's benching as one last opportunity for the team to see if E.J. Manuel was worth re-signing as our backup QB, and a chance to look at Cardale Jones (albiet, an abbreviated one; I believe they should have given him the entire second half, but that's another matter). My point is that our regional media consistently chooses to paint most Buffalo Bills' moves in a negative light (in Sal's case here, he even turns the dagger with the Hoffa quote). Why don't we ever see a hint of positivity, when there clearly could be more than one side to the story? Does anyone else agree with me?

Much of what the team has done since the late 1990's has been dysfunctional and produced negative results. That's where the negativity comes from

....Sal and Leo are Roch-Cha-Cha's Sullivan ala Buffalo to a slightly lesser extent....and of course we have Bobby "The American" Matthews here with his yapping....do any of them REALLY matter?...nope.....

can you imagine being a sports beat reporter in Blo/Roch? you have the Bills and the Sabres and distant minor league everything else.... they can be fully expected to be pretty much suicidal manic depressants by this point. Reporters covering the least achieving franchises in their respective leagues for a decade + . give em a break ... these teams need to give them something truly positive to lean on after 10-15 of non stop sucking. It will come. Winning cures everything. These two franchises just need to do that and all will be well.

2009 is on my ignore list for that reason. he's imagines things then he won't let go of his Alternate Truth,

It's been such a pleasure not having to read his lies.

to show OTHER teams

some people imagine what they wish to read.

hack? Me or the writer? That was taken off the front page of TwoBillsDrive linking a story from the D&C.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

You can kindly disagree what with me, but as I sometimes the truth hurts.

We need a passing QB that can scramble and avoids sacks much more than we need a scrambling QB that avoids sacks and hardly passes.

Not you. Sal M.

can you imagine being a sports beat reporter in Blo/Roch? you have the Bills and the Sabres and distant minor league everything else.... they can be fully expected to be pretty much suicidal manic depressants by this point. Reporters covering the least achieving franchises in their respective leagues for a decade + . give em a break ... these teams need to give them something truly positive to lean on after 10-15 of non stop sucking. It will come. Winning cures everything. These two franchises just need to do that and all will be well.

Just the opposite. Reporters are supposed to be impartial, checking any fandom at the locker room door. If anything they love the drought because bad news is way more interesting than good. The stories write themselves.

....Sal and Leo are Roch-Cha-Cha's Sullivan ala Buffalo to a slightly lesser extent....and of course we have Bobby "The American" Matthews here with his yapping....do any of them REALLY matter?...nope.....

Bob Matthews is living proof you CAN go through life fat, drunk and stupid. Edited by PromoTheRobot

My claim for inflammatory language was based on the following quote, directly from Sal:

"New Years’ Day, MetLife Stadium in the swamps of New Jersey, and Tyrod Taylor’s career with the Buffalo Bills seemed as deceased as Jimmy Hoffa."

Wikipedia's definition of hyperbole (note: Hyperbole is NOT a bush-league bowl game for 6-win collegiate programs):

Hyperbole
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hyperbole/hˈpɜːrbəli/; Ancient Greek: ὑπερβολή, huperbolḗ, from ὑπέρ (hupér, “above”) and βάλλω (bállō, "I throw")) is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. In rhetoric, it is also sometimes known as auxesis (lit. "growth"). In poetry and oratory, it emphasizes, evokes strong feelings, and creates strong impressions.

Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

I rest my case.

The Hoffa analogy may have been hyperbolic (although most thought Taylor was done in Buffalo), but I was referring to the article as a whole and the points that were made.

The flaw in Sallie Boy's article is his insistence on overlooking the obvious, and quite likely, true reason for "benching" Tyrod: that it was a meaningless game in which, had he been injured, the Bills would have had a "yo, mama" contract payment. Whether they intended to keep him or cut him, or to "showcase" EJ and Cardale, means nothing compared to writing that check.

The flaw in Sallie Boy's article is his insistence on overlooking the obvious, and quite likely, true reason for "benching" Tyrod: that it was a meaningless game in which, had he been injured, the Bills would have had a "yo, mama" contract payment. Whether they intended to keep him or cut him, or to "showcase" EJ and Cardale, means nothing compared to writing that check.

Not to mention flushing the #10 pick. But naw, can't be why.