Watkins wants to get paid more

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way, Curry plays 82 plus games not 16. A lot of players are going to be disappointed.

Save hockey, most other sports don't sacrafice their body the way football players do.

I also think all athletes in all sports are paid way way way too much as it is.

Edited by old school

This happens every year around the time of NBA free agency. There are always some NFL players talking about it. They aren't wrong either. The league has massive revenues and they play for less money without the guarantees. It's kind of a non-story. He's going to want to get paid like everyone else. If he stays healthy, he will.

Save hockey, most other sports don't sacrafice their body the way football players do.

I also think all athletes in all sports are paid way way way too much as it is.

They are paid a percentage of the revenues. I'd rather see the athletes get a portion than the owners. They are the assets that have made these leagues so rich.

to have him thinking he needs to get paid more than his ludacris sum he is making adn will continue to make it laughable.

the guy is in the top 1%.

futher a man motivated by money is not much of a man in my books and no one i'd want working for me.

Every time this idiot "opens his mouth," I cringe.

Just shut up and play football, you moron.

yep

Right. Because football players have no right to freedom of expression. :thumbsup:

and doubly right because dumb watkins expressed his so dumb gugny expressed his, but gugny's the bad dude because he disagrees.

works both ways, copypaste

He didn't say anything wrong. I think you just don't like the guy, period.

Sammy had a great point when you consider what NFL players get paid as a % of revenues and the fact that most of what they make in not guaranteed. While NBA contracts are primarily guaranteed and much higher as a % of league revenues.

Right. Because football players have no right to freedom of expression. :thumbsup:

when you've done NOTHING in the NFL and have stole your contract up to this point you should probably keep your big yap shut and just playball. rather then run your mouth. Watkins is the last player on this team that should be complaining about making more money.

when you've done NOTHING in the NFL and have stole your contract up to this point you should probably keep your big yap shut and just playball. rather then run your mouth. Watkins is the last player on this team that should be complaining about making more money.

Nothing? There's nothing more to say to you if that's your honest assessment.

This may be the topic that I feel strongest about that we discuss and for the life of me can't understand the other side. The people generating the revue in every company are the highest paid. It is no different here it's just the numbers are so large we can't wrap our heads around them. Honest question though, do people really believe that the players should be paid less than 48.5% of the money that the NFL makes?!? If you removed all of the players how much money would the league make?

Now we can all squabble about which players deserve which percentage but the argument that players make too much money is beyond asinine. It's totally uninformed. The league wouldn't make $12.5B (or whatever it is) a year without players!!

Since Sammy has been in Buffalo, what number is higher...Watkins games played (regular season) or Steph games played (playoffs)?

NBA players run that league. NFL players are the guys who couldn't play in the league. 6'11 Durant moving like a point guard.

But hey KING ME why not!

Edited by Commonsense

So this means that we are not going to retain Watkins.....right? All kidding aside, A pretty good/oft injured but not elite WR is NOT going to get the same pay as Curry in any circiumstance. I want Watkins to be a success, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but a statement like this makes me automatically assume that he is a lost cause to the Bills. I now say to trade him for whatever you can get and let him be someone elses problem. Above average for half a year does not entitle you to an elite contract.

Somehow I see a 2025 espn article of a homeless Watkins complaining about how financial advisers were dishonest focusing on his bad breaks from people screwing him over and signing autographs for 25 dollars a day.

Watkins has potential and I hope this is not the case but it sounds like he is being guided by the wrong people.

Edited by dgrochester55

Whatever. Sammy is entitled to speak his mind. Personally I'd rather have him completely focused on the upcoming season. It's not as if he needs to be worried about being able to pay the bills. When money isn't a problem one should be focused first and foremost on their job.

Every time this idiot "opens his mouth," I cringe.

Just shut up and play football, you moron.

so true Gugs...he is the last guy to be seeking more money, even if he is speaking generally about the NFL...he is already making way more than he deserves imo.

Edited by JaCrispy

I have always thought that nobody should be paid more than $1 million for any profession- especially athletes...it's just insane imho!

So in this case if all 53 guys made a million that's $53M to the players. So in your case the players would EACH make $1M a year and the owners would EACH make $338M a year. That's what feels right to you?!?

He didn't say anything wrong. I think you just don't like the guy, period.

I do like Sam Watkins, the football player. I think he is an amazing talent.

However, he's got a history of "saying" stupid things, whether it's into a microphone or, God forbid, on social media.

Football players can express themselves to their heart's content; I don't care and I often enjoy when they do.

My problem is that, in this particular case, we've got a guy who's not been part of a winning culture pointing out how players from a completely different league/business make more money.

Why? That's going to make a difference in NFL players' paychecks as much as bitching about getting the ball more has made a difference in the Bills' passing game woes.

That's why I say, "shut up and play football," because he signed the contract for the amount he's getting and his priority should be to make himself and his team better.

So in this case if all 53 guys made a million that's $53M to the players. So in your case the players would EACH make $1M a year and the owners would EACH make $338M a year. That's what feels right to you?!?

in my theory NOBODY should make more than $1 million- even the owners...

He should repoint his athletic career and switch to basketball.

Look at the incredible Tebow success story.

I would think the Nets in particular would have intense interest in paying a max contract.

Where would the money go? The league generates revenue, like any business. They make about $12.5B a year. Where should that money go?

perhaps significantly lower ticket prices among other things...but I can't really get into specifics without this dialogue delving into other areas that the mods will not likely appreciate...but i have no problem speaking privately on the subject.

Where would the money go? The league generates revenue, like any business. They make about $12.5B a year. Where should that money go?

All future excess revenue should be allocated to alien research so we can have a definitive answer for that thread.

perhaps significantly lower ticket prices among other things...but I can't really get into specifics without this dialogue delving into other areas that the mods will not likely appreciate...but i have no problem speaking privately on the subject.

We don't need to get into it but it doesn't make any sense. The money has to go somewhere. The league could not sell 1 ticket and still make something over $8B. So in this example tickets are free and each team has $250M a year. So the consumers can attend for free, every player can make $1M and there is $200M per team, per year sitting there. These estimates I'm using are ULTRA conservative as well. The numbers that I'm throwing out are probably 15% low.

We are never going to live in a world where compensation isn't tied to revenue generation. If networks want to pay billions for the rights and sponsors want to pay millions for ads and consumers want to pay thousands for tickets, players will get paid. Owners will get paid. Coaches will get paid.

I suppose in the owners pockets like it does with every other business.

In that example the owners would pay $53M a year for players and pocket $338M a year. Sports are a different model than most businesses because your assets are your liabilities. If you are to use a factory as the comparison the player is essentially the sales guy, the machine and the end product. I don't know if that makes a ton of sense but they are what the company sells.

It's just never going to change. The owners should be THRILLED that they are only paying something like 47-48.5% to the players.