Watkins wants to get paid more

Sammy isnt this your agents job?

yup, I agree.

Show me the money says Sammy?

Show me a full 16 games and those spectacular catches you used to make.

lol that's true too.

Just play sammy. And guide your kids to basketball. Of course their chances of making elite money in basketball are smaller since there are only 5 starters on pro basketball teams vs. 24 starters on football teams. Are you going to bet the future income of your children on that smallest of chances?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that example the owners would pay $53M a year for players and pocket $338M a year. Sports are a different model than most businesses because your assets are your liabilities. If you are to use a factory as the comparison the player is essentially the sales guy, the machine and the end product. I don't know if that makes a ton of sense but they are what the company sells.

It's just never going to change. The owners should be THRILLED that they are only paying something like 47-48.5% to the players.

while there's a bit of disparity in income split, NFL teams do generally run MUCH LARGER supporting structure to support the huge stadiums and 53 + IR + practice squad of 10 - so at least 63 full time professional players vs. 15 for NBA teams. Scouting, etc. are much larger teams. Expenses are not the same.

We don't need to get into it but it doesn't make any sense. The money has to go somewhere. The league could not sell 1 ticket and still make something over $8B. So in this example tickets are free and each team has $250M a year. So the consumers can attend for free, every player can make $1M and there is $200M per team, per year sitting there. These estimates I'm using are ULTRA conservative as well. The numbers that I'm throwing out are probably 15% low.

We are never going to live in a world where compensation isn't tied to revenue generation. If networks want to pay billions for the rights and sponsors want to pay millions for ads and consumers want to pay thousands for tickets, players will get paid. Owners will get paid. Coaches will get paid.

You are probably right, Kirb...I guess, as an artist, I have always been more of a dreamer of alternative methods of trying to make things more fair and balanced- outside of the current construct of things of course.

When I see guys making $30-40 million a year for entertaining the masses it is a little unsettling to me, especially considering that they are not really contributing anything useful to the society as a whole... and also considering there are people starving and without healthcare.

Edited by JaCrispy

while there's a bit of disparity in income split, NFL teams do generally run MUCH LARGER supporting structure to support the huge stadiums and 53 + IR + practice squad of 10 - so at least 63 full time professional players vs. 15 for NBA teams. Scouting, etc. are much larger teams. Expenses are not the same.

Players all count as a percentage though. I'm not saying that the NFL players should make as much money as an NBA player. I'm just saying that 2.5-3.5% (whatever it is) difference is $10-$15M a year. NFL coaching staffs and scouting staffs are typically larger than an NBA team but an NBA team typically has a much larger business staff and pays a lot more to part-time people (more games). I'd venture to say that the expenses aren't terribly different.

I'd have no problem if the NFL players were getting 51%. The league made $13.3B last year. That's an average of $415,625,000 per team. Is it crazy to think that $212M of that should go to the players? That's leaving $203M for everyone else. Instead the players are getting like $198M. That $14M is a lot of money (especially considering most of it will be spread amongst the best guys). A guy like Sammy, about to be a FA could realistically be looking at like another $3M a year if they were getting the same percentage as in the NBA.

The comment isn't surprising-- just the source. This from a guy who should be concerned about getting/staying healthy, and playing a 16 game season. The way his first three years have played out, he may not have a very long career--- while making a ridiculous amount of money (as is the norm in sports).

You are probably right, Kirb...I guess, as an artist, I have always been more of a dreamer of alternative methods of trying to make things more fair and balanced- outside of the current construct of things of course.

When I see guys making $30-40 million a year for entertaining the masses it is a little unsettling to me, especially considering that they are not really contributing anything useful to the society as a whole... and also considering that there are people starving or without healthcare.

That's a different argument and one that I wholeheartedly agree with (without getting all political). At least the NFL is paying taxes now.

Whatever. Sammy is entitled to speak his mind. Personally I'd rather have him completely focused on the upcoming season. It's not as if he needs to be worried about being able to pay the bills. When money isn't a problem one should be focused first and foremost on their job.

Does the tweet mean that he isn't? I would think it has nothing to do with his preparation for the 2017 season.

Does the tweet mean that he isn't? I would think it has nothing to do with his preparation for the 2017 season.

I just can't comprehend why this is a concern to him right now. IMO you don't seem to see posts like this from the greats. I have no problem with him asking for more money. We are all free to express what what we want. What I don't like is his inability to prove himself on the field before running his twitter mouth. It's a reoccurring theme with Sammy.

The comment isn't surprising-- just the source. This from a guy who should be concerned about getting/staying healthy, and playing a 16 game season. The way his first three years have played out, he may not have a very long career--- while making a ridiculous amount of money (as is the norm in sports).

Watkins is the perfect player to speak on it. NFL players shouldnt have to worry about losing money over an injury.

Watkins said WE, not I. He is talking about NFL players, it has been said many times before around this time when NBA players start signing deals.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I just can't comprehend why this is a concern to him right now. IMO you don't seem to see posts like this from the greats. I have no problem with him asking for more money. We are all free to express what what we want. What I don't like is his inability to prove himself on the field before running his twitter mouth. It's a reoccurring theme with Sammy.

Not sure what Sammy Watkins you've been watching if you think he's not a proven talent. His health has been a concern due to the foot injury, but the kid can play and produce.

Watkins is the perfect player to speak on it. NFL players shouldnt have to worry about losing money over an injury.

But they should make more money after an injury? If I'm injuried in an accident or the like I wouldn't receive my regular pay. Football players are compensated handsomely enough (especially first round picks such as Sammy) to cover the loss of money due to injury. It is their responsibility to manage their money wisely if the unforeseen occurs.

Not sure what Sammy Watkins you've been watching if you think he's not a proven talent. His health has been a concern due to the foot injury, but the kid can play and produce.

He can certainly play, but he needs to stay healthy. His health concerns are not his fault. That doesn't mean that he should be talking about more money when he hasn't been healthy though. Sammy is not an asset unless he stays healthy.

He can certainly play, but he needs to stay healthy. His health concerns are not his fault. That doesn't mean that he should be talking about more money when he hasn't been healthy though. Sammy is not an asset unless he stays healthy.

Whoosh! The larger point he was making wasn't about himself.