Watkins wants to get paid more

I don't think most reasonable people are going to hate on athletes,musicians, and actors for making money. It's simply the way it works. The problem occurs when these people make out of touch statements. Some actors,musicians,and athletes are wise enough to admit that they are blessed. Others make statements such as Sammy's "we gotta get paid more". NFL players likely will get paid more anyway.

Most well adjusted "everyday people" won't give two craps about what he stated regarding the relative pay of NFL and NBA Players. Overreaction on TSW by some.....expected.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the more sammy is gone.

beanne and McD do not invest big $$ at the WR position....

and now it sure looks like sammy will do everything he can to get to free agency.

what a shame....Sammy is a stud if/when healthy

all the more sammy is gone.

beanne and McD do not invest big $$ at the WR position....

and now it sure looks like sammy will do everything he can to get to free agency.

what a shame....Sammy is a stud if/when healthy

What are you basing this on since we have a 1st time HC and GM?

Sammy had a great point when you consider what NFL players get paid as a % of revenues and the fact that most of what they make in not guaranteed. While NBA contracts are primarily guaranteed and much higher as a % of league revenues.

An NBA roster is what, 14 guys? And they play what, 82 games?

An NFL roster is 53 guys and plays 16 games.

I don't feel like working it out, but I'm thinking on a per-man, per-game basis the picture might be different.

An NBA roster is what, 14 guys? And they play what, 82 games?

An NFL roster is 53 guys and plays 16 games.

I don't feel like working it out, but I'm thinking on a per-man, per-game basis the picture might be different.

As if every player in the NBA and NFL has the same value.

I wasn't missing that. Regardless of whether or not people want to hear it, his point remains. I think it's valid. They receive a smaller percentage than their NBA brethren (without getting into the guarantees). So he might be a little tone deaf in bringing it up but that doesn't make the point wrong.

I see where you are coming from but it is tough to argue in favor of percent revenues. A lot of effort goes into generating revenues for an NFL team. Granted the players are the key but that is true of any other business. As an example, a worker on the assembly line of iPhones can argue that there are no phones if you take away the workers.

Watkins will have his time during negotiations and will get paid as he deserves. But I do disagree with the broader point of advocating for salaries to be a percent of league revenues. It is a very complex discussion which doesnt lend itself to full analysis on a message board. The entire structure of the league, revenue, costs, CBA is intricate and it is simplistic to point to one aspect without considering the overall business of running an NFL franchise and the league in general.

I wasn't missing that. Regardless of whether or not people want to hear it, his point remains. I think it's valid. They receive a smaller percentage than their NBA brethren (without getting into the guarantees). So he might be a little tone deaf in bringing it up but that doesn't make the point wrong.

I don't disagree with his point but it wasn't particularly productive to do this

I've probably posted this after a bunch of his tweets

This happens every year around the time of NBA free agency. There are always some NFL players talking about it. They aren't wrong either. The league has massive revenues and they play for less money without the guarantees. It's kind of a non-story. He's going to want to get paid like everyone else. If he stays healthy, he will.

They are paid a percentage of the revenues. I'd rather see the athletes get a portion than the owners. They are the assets that have made these leagues so rich.

I'm shocked the NFLPA hasn't pushed harder for guaranteed contracts like the other 3 sports have...kind of crazy the only guarenteed contracts go to coaches and GMs

I see where you are coming from but it is tough to argue in favor of percent revenues. A lot of effort goes into generating revenues for an NFL team. Granted the players are the key but that is true of any other business. As an example, a worker on the assembly line of iPhones can argue that there are no phones if you take away the workers.

Watkins will have his time during negotiations and will get paid as he deserves. But I do disagree with the broader point of advocating for salaries to be a percent of league revenues. It is a very complex discussion which doesnt lend itself to full analysis on a message board. The entire structure of the league, revenue, costs, CBA is intricate and it is simplistic to point to one aspect without considering the overall business of running an NFL franchise and the league in general.

Salaries are already a percentage of league revenues. That's how the cap is determined. They receive between 47-48% and the NBA players receive 51%.

Most well adjusted "everyday people" won't give two craps about what he stated about the relative pay of NFL and NBA Players. Overreaction on TSW by some.....expected.

I think you're in the minority on that one. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. It's just one of those things to discuss on the board for the sake of conversations. I find it to be a poor choice of words. In reality it's not a big deal. We agree on that.

I don't disagree with his point but it wasn't particularly productive to do this

I've probably posted this after a bunch of his tweets

Different discussion and I don't disagree. Sammy puts his foot in his mouth a lot but he's still not wrong. He's tone deaf for sure.

I'm shocked the NFLPA hasn't pushed harder for guaranteed contracts like the other 3 sports have...kind of crazy the only guarenteed contracts go to coaches and GMs

NFLPA is pretty weak.

That's why the only thing that matters in their deals is the guaranteed portion. The rest is PR.

Every time this idiot "opens his mouth," I cringe.

Just shut up and play football, you moron.

I was thinking about the same thing.

So far, Watkins' mouth runs faster than his broken down legs. Give me a break Sammy! How about re-structuring your contract so that you get paid for your on field production. Welcome to the $100,000 per year club.

WTF has he accomplished? Nothing - what a fool!!!

Literally any player could do this individually but none want to give up the top tier earning for the guarantee

No reason to expect the union to think differently

No way, Curry plays 82 plus games not 16. A lot of players are going to be disappointed.

This is what it comes down to. Just mathematics.

Nba essentially has a 6-7 man "active" roster it's about 3-4 times smaller than the NFL's, that's why they get paid 3-4 times more.

Yes it does. NFL League revenues $14B. NBA League revenues $6B.

Opening day NBA roster: 449

Opening day Nfl: 1696

Nearly 4 times the players

NBA revenue 6b

Nfl 14b

Splitting just over double the revenue

Sure we can talk about swaying it a few percentage points but generally speaking there's a fundamental structural difference in the league that makes it unlikely to see things ever get close to even for players

Comparing athletes and their compensation to everyday people and getting outraged about. Now that's asinine. If you're that pissed don't watch football or movies for that matter. Stop listening to ultra-rich music artists too. :lol:

Most well adjusted "everyday people" won't give two craps about what he stated regarding the relative pay of NFL and NBA Players. Overreaction on TSW by some.....expected.

sorry 26CopyPaste, but you lack logic again in your argument.

We already know of Sammy's view of us. We are little piece, in little jobs.

CSWWX7tUwAA4E7Z.jpg-large.jpg

His lack of education shows to be half as much as his understanding of what a pretentious asshat he is and it's disgusting. This kid makes more than most of us will earn in our lifetime. He tells us to go play football, to go live our little lives... we will, and it'll be not giving two ***** about this imbecile soon enough.

Let him play football, but shove it down his throat if he says another god damn thing. He is an embarrassment to this team, the educational system of clemson and to humanity in general with such a pompous attitude.