Watkins wants to get paid more

This is one of those contrived Bills' fan controversies that in the end doesn't mean jack ****. It's a total non-issue.

The comment standing on its own means nothing, I agree. However as I said before, Watkins has given fans multiple looks into how he views himself and everyone else.

Just like Gilmore was until Belichick and the Patriots paid him in a mega UFA deal. Let Watkins get to UFA and we'll see if the league doesn't know who he is. Commonsense? Sure.

Yah and I said the same things about Gilmore as I do Watkins. I was glad he went to NE, his saving grace is that Butler stayed and didn't run off to NO. Gilmore is a chump, lucky for him he is playing on the overwhelming SB favorite.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The comment standing on its own means nothing, I agree. However as I said before, Watkins has given fans multiple looks into how he views himself and everyone else.

I'd worry more about a guy who's getting into trouble off the field vs. a few immature Social media comments. I couldn't care any less about these mountain out of a molehill issues that you and others harp on. But carry on.

I'd worry more about a guy who's getting into trouble off the field vs. a few immature Social media comments. I couldn't care any less about these mountain out of a molehill issues that you and others harp on. But carry on.

We will have answers soon enough. Just like when I was jumped all over for saying the Jones fracture would be an ongoing thing and provided the medical history of high profile athletes with the same injury. At some point blindly defending everything Bills gets old. Watkins will be gone soon, hot take alert, he isn't a team guy like McD wants.

Want some good news? White is not only a good football player but he is everything Gilmore wasn't. I think this coach and GM understand how to win, there is hope.

We will have answers soon enough. Just like when I was jumped all over for saying the Jones fracture would be an ongoing thing and provided the medical history of high profile athletes with the same injury. At some point blindly defending everything Bills gets old. Watkins will be gone soon, hot take alert, he isn't a team guy like McD wants.

Want some good news? White is not only a good football player but he is everything Gilmore wasn't. I think this coach and GM understand how to win, there is hope.

Tell that to Julio Jones, Julian Edelman, and Dez Bryant who have all overcome the very same injury.

Neither his coach nor his GM have proven a thing. OTOH, the guy in NE has as much as we might not like it. I'll take his judgment over yours and frankly over that of OBD every day.

I hope the best for White, but let's see how he fares in a real game before making any comparisons to Gilmore. Man your takes are hot!

Tell that to Julio Jones, Julian Edelman, and Dez Bryant who have all overcome the very same injury.

Neither his coach nor his GM have proven a thing. OTOH, the guy in NE has as much as we might not like it. I'll take his judgment over yours and frankly over that of OBD every day.

I hope the best for White, but let's see how he fares in a real game before making any comparisons to Gilmore. Man your takes are hot!

All the guys you listed had multiple surgeries after the initial break, find the old thread, that's exactly the picture I painted for Watkins. I included Durant in the discussion if I remember correctly.

I'd hope you would trust BB over me but I'd bet real dollars against SG succeeding in a critical situation. It's a bad contract but it will be masked until Butler leaves. Look at the matchups, the best afc east QB is Tyrod? Yuck. How many good passing offenses will they face in the entire AFC? Pitt? One game!? SG can cover the 2nd wideout in his sleep when you have the likes of Josh McTank and Tannehill throwing the ball. Imagine that almost half of your season vs. Taylor and less talented passers. BB is such a genius or is he a beneficiary of circumstance?

Every time this idiot "opens his mouth," I cringe.

Just shut up and play football, you moron.

Nothing wrong with players comparing what guys get in other leagues/ sports. Just a union/ collective bargaining issue. No guaranteed contracts and much greater risk of injury. Clearly SW is talking to other NFL players here, not fans.

I'm shocked the NFLPA hasn't pushed harder for guaranteed contracts like the other 3 sports have...kind of crazy the only guarenteed contracts go to coaches and GMs

NFL players from the previous generation really screwed over future generations. It will take some sort of strike by players union to ultimately rectify the situation through an improved labor agreemenr deal. But NFL players generally arent too bright. I wont hold my breath.

Meanwhile, some think Bryce Harper will get paid half a BILLION. Now There's a players union that looked out for their own.

I continue to be flabbergasted by people who think the Redskins being forced to pay Albert Haynesworth $100MM for doing nothing would be a rectification of anything.

The NFL is the best league at paying the guys who deserve to be paid specifically because they enacted the rookie pay scale and never get screwed with the guaranteed contracts nonsense. In reference to Kirby's point, roughly 50% of the revenue going to the players seems about right. But when you allocate that money to the guys on the field instead of clowns like Haynesworths and Ryan Leaf, it makes for a far more equitable system across the whole population of players.

Salaries are already a percentage of league revenues. That's how the cap is determined. They receive between 47-48% and the NBA players receive 51%.

I continue to be flabbergasted by people who think the Redskins being forced to pay Albert Haynesworth $100MM for doing nothing would be a rectification of anything.

The NFL is the best league at paying the guys who deserve to be paid specifically because they enacted the rookie pay scale and never get screwed with the guaranteed contracts nonsense. In reference to Kirby's point, roughly 50% of the revenue going to the players seems about right. But when you allocate that money to the guys on the field instead of clowns like Haynesworths and Ryan Leaf, it makes for a far more equitable system across the whole population of players.

But the redskins didnt pay Haynesworth $100m. Not even close. And how were they forced into anything? He was a FA.

This is one of those contrived Bills' fan controversies that in the end doesn't mean jack ****. It's a total non-issue.

To be fair, even the criticism is pretty tame. The reaction to that seems just as manufactured.

But the redskins didnt pay Haynesworth $100m. Not even close. And how were they forced into anything? He was a FA.

That was his entire point. They weren't and that's better for everyone. Good players get more money and teams get away from bad players

To be fair, even the criticism is pretty tame. The reaction to that seems just as manufactured.

That was his entire point. They weren't and that's better for everyone. Good players get more money and teams get away from bad players

He was the defensive player of the year in 2008 before he signed that contract. He was one of the best defensive players in the league for a couple of years. That merits a payday. And my point is that his payday wasnt $100m (as it would be in nba or mlb), but more like $40m guaranteed. So no it wasnt better for everyone. The player performed at the top of his game in his sport and got compensated $40m basically which is peanuts in baseball for example. I think the redskins actually ended up paying him something like $35m and were able to get rid of him.

He ended up being a bust so for the team not having to pay a guaranteed contract was certainly a win but not for the player.

Im not saying that we need to go to the other extreme (which to me is baseball), but we need to be honest in this discussion: NFL players are getting the raw end of the deal when it comes to paydays in professional sports. Its undeniable.

to have him thinking he needs to get paid more than his ludacris sum he is making adn will continue to make it laughable.

the guy is in the top 1%.

futher a man motivated by money is not much of a man in my books and no one i'd want working for me.

yep

and doubly right because dumb watkins expressed his so dumb gugny expressed his, but gugny's the bad dude because he disagrees.

works both ways, copypaste

Got news for you. Every single man who works for you now is motivated by money. If you don't think so, that's your mistake, unless you've got somebody on the payroll wearing a Gandhi loincloth and giving away all the money he makes beyond enough for a cardboard box to live in and three bowls of rice a day to subsist on. Oh, and turning down the raises you offer him because the sheer joy of working for you is enough. That's the way it works in capitalist systems.

100% motivated by money, not necessarily. But then, no reason to thinks Sammy is either.

That's not a hot take, it's a senseless take. Sammy absolutely is a team guy and there really hasn't been anyone saying he's not.

And yeah, those other guys have had "multiple surgeries" after the original break. Two, I believe, which is what Sammy has had at this point. Yeah, it was always somewhere around a 25% chance he'd need a second surgery, as that's roughly the number of injured people who do need seconds. The number who need thirds drops off wildly.

There's no reason to think his Lisfranc will continue to be a problem. Anything's possible, but the odds are very high against it.

Yeah, something else could happen. Sammy's been injured a lot and injuries can happen to anyone. That's why they didn't sign him for the extra year. We don't know what will happen.

As for White being everything Gilmore isn't, I hope not. Gilmore is an excellent player.

He was the defensive player of the year in 2008 before he signed that contract. He was one of the best defensive players in the league for a couple of years. That merits a payday. And my point is that his payday wasnt $100m (as it would be in nba or mlb), but more like $40m guaranteed. So no it wasnt better for everyone. The player performed at the top of his game in his sport and got compensated $40m basically which is peanuts in baseball for example. I think the redskins actually ended up paying him something like $35m and were able to get rid of him.

He ended up being a bust so for the team not having to pay a guaranteed contract was certainly a win but not for the player.

Im not saying that we need to go to the other extreme (which to me is baseball), but we need to be honest in this discussion: NFL players are getting the raw end of the deal when it comes to paydays in professional sports. Its undeniable.

You're the one arguing for guaranteed contracts....which would have paid him the full $100MM for essentially refusing to do the job he was hired for.

And your basis for this is that Haynesworth was "due a payday" (apparently from the Redskins for what he did with the Titans....because the Titans 'only' paid him $20MM and the Redskins another $30MM to so) is unfathomably moronic.

And yeah....the current system DID work out better for everyone because the Redskins used the money they saved when they dumped him to pay other players, including the one who took his place on the roster.

This happens every year around the time of NBA free agency. There are always some NFL players talking about it. They aren't wrong either. The league has massive revenues and they play for less money without the guarantees. It's kind of a non-story. He's going to want to get paid like everyone else. If he stays healthy, he will.They are paid a percentage of the revenues. I'd rather see the athletes get a portion than the owners. They are the assets that have made these leagues so rich.

What has made the NFL so much money is the amount of people who gamble on it. The NFL is the only league where this applies.

The average MLB career is a little over 5 yrs. all contracts are guaranteed. To eat sunflower seeds half the time. Half a billion dollar contract for a single player within the next few years.

The NFL players association better give it a good run.

5.6 which is a significant difference by itself IMO. Toss in time getting paid to play in the minors both before and after a MLB stint and the difference is heightened even more. Putting the "fairness" of guaranteed contracts aside, if the NFLPA is able to wrangle them out of the owners during the next negotiation I think that the number of players on IR will swell significantly. Enough so that I would think the entire IR process will have to be reworked as well.

Per game, a player making 11 mil a season makes 200k per game more than Steph curry so? You want to make more money, let's add in more games.

Steph doesnt deserve that money. Neither does Kyle Lowry but the fact of the matter. Per game NFL is beating NBA in salary. Factor in more time spent practicing traveling. This is what happens

Exactly - I guarantee if Sammy Watkins and the NFL players are willing to play 84 regular season games (or 162 with baseball) and then 30 playoff games - his annual salary would dwarf Steph Currys, but they are balking at adding 17 or 18 - so I have no sympathy.

What has made the NFL so much money is the amount of people who gamble on it. The NFL is the only league where this applies.

That's absolutely true domestically. Fantasy football and gambling have pushed the NFL interest through the roof. It's so odd to me that the NFL is still not embracing it.

Internationally, especially in Asia, NBA gambling is huge. The international interest, much of which has to do with gambling, has allowed their revenues to grow so much recently. These leagues have ALMOST maxed out in the US. They know that their growth has to come elsewhere. It's starting to happen.

That's not a hot take, it's a senseless take. Sammy absolutely is a team guy and there really hasn't been anyone saying he's not.

And yeah, those other guys have had "multiple surgeries" after the original break. Two, I believe, which is what Sammy has had at this point. Yeah, it was always somewhere around a 25% chance he'd need a second surgery, as that's roughly the number of injured people who do need seconds. The number who need thirds drops off wildly.

There's no reason to think his Lisfranc will continue to be a problem. Anything's possible, but the odds are very high against it.

Yeah, something else could happen. Sammy's been injured a lot and injuries can happen to anyone. That's why they didn't sign him for the extra year. We don't know what will happen.

As for White being everything Gilmore isn't, I hope not. Gilmore is an excellent player.

What tells/shows you that Sam Watkins is "a team guy?"

From everything I've seen with my own eyes/heard with my own ears, he's nothing but another high potential WR who wants the ball more; but waits until he's on crutches to make that demand.

I think, with a better QB, Sam Watkins would already be in the elite tier of WRs. I have no doubt in my mind that he's that good. And, frankly, he really hasn't missed that much time. I think any mention of him being a bust is downright silly.

But a team player? No. He's a selfish, whiny baby who can't take criticism and who has no problem letting it known - on and off the field - when he needs his pacifier.

I hope he has great seasons as long as he's in a Bills uniform, because I think he CAN be a game changer.

If he ever left the Bills, I would not celebrate, but I would not mourn.

I think you are proving his point not your own.

He was given a 100 million contract for what he did in Tennessee when he came to the Redskins, but as soon as he did not live up to that level of play - they were able to get out of the contract and give that money to people that deserved it.

Hockey, Baseball, and Basketball- all have it wrong, but can survive because of the games and the players. How many albatross contracts do you hear about in those leagues . Guys that got paid for 1 years work as they hit FA and then fell back. Guys like Koby in LA that basically had a contract destroy the team when he could no longer play to that level. Baseball is the worse - they give out massive contracts to guys mid 30's and then try to figure out how to get rid of them when after 1 or 2 years they start to decline.

Football allows teams to get out of contracts and redistribute that money to guys that are more worthy right now. It stinks for the players that want the big payday without the work, but a guy like Brady, JJ Watt, or Von Miller seem to keep getting paid through injuries and age. I think the system works - you just have to keep putting in the effort.

Edited by Rochesterfan