Watkins wants to get paid more

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I don't understand your point then. You do understand that saying you should earn more is a different argument than saying you don't earn enough, right? It's a subtle difference, I know.

Wow. How many bong hits did it take to come up with that?

Said it once and I'll say it again. Antonio Brown is the top tier for a WR. He gets $17,000,000 per. Sammy is no Antonio Brown, nor is Beckham, nor is Mike Evans. They should all get Dez/Demaryius type money at best. To try to compare salaries across sports really isn't a plausible argument. NBA teams have way fewer players on their active roster than does an NFL team so there is more money to spread around. They also play a helluva lot more games. Same with MLB teams. Get as good as JJ Redick is at basketball then you can get JJ Redick $$$ from an NBA team. Or get as good as Bryce Harper at baseball and then you can get Bryce Harper $$$ in the MLB. Or realize the sport you play, the level you are on, and be realistic about your situation.

Translation. If you cant just blindly follow this team and support everything they do then theres no need for you here. Only people who think this team is going 19-0 belong. Take your hate and agenda elsewhere.

Sorry. Not going anywhere. Hate to pour salt in your koolaid.

He can quit. He shouldnt feel forced to stay in such an oppressive environment. Go back to school. Be a teacher or insurance salesman. This is the land of opportunity.

Koolaid? Im having a discussion about NFL players' worth and value relative to other athletes in american professional team sports and you're talking about single moms. Again, step away from the discussion if you cant even keep it on topic.

Exactly - I guarantee if Sammy Watkins and the NFL players are willing to play 84 regular season games (or 162 with baseball) and then 30 playoff games - his annual salary would dwarf Steph Currys, but they are balking at adding 17 or 18 - so I have no sympathy.

As if it would be anywhere near the realm of possibility to play that number of games in a football season. It's a ridiculous point to make given the relative physical nature of the sports that allows for many more games in basketball and baseball.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Koolaid? Im having a discussion about NFL players' worth and value relative to other athletes in american professional team sports and you're talking about single moms. Again, step away from the discussion if you cant even keep it on topic.

Your not having a discussion. You just dont want to deal with anyone who doesnt blindly follow this team and praise everything they do. Sorry koolaid. Not going anywhere.

Theres a faction at this site. About six or seven of you who just cant handle any critcism of this team in any way shape or form. Its hilarious. You get so pissed when anyone says anything negative about your heroes. Lmfao.

Edited by Billsmovinup

The point of the thread is that Watkins made the comment.

It's reasonable to feel from a fan perspective that Watkins should be the last one to talk about this considering the guy has had health issues. Fans don't want to hear a guy talk about getting more money when he's missing more then 50% of his games

Common sense. Watkins shouldn't be surprised if he gets flamed for his comments.

Not correct even with him only playing in 8 games last season and the larger point Watkins was making extends far beyond his own personal situation.

Wow. How many bong hits did it take to come up with that?

None. I'm at work. I did take an English class once, though. You're saying he should quit instead of staying in an oppressive environment, which is a statement he never made. He didn't say 'I don't make enough to do this'. You might have inferred that for some reason, but it's not what he said.

Now where Sammy went wrong here is he decided to compare across sports. It'd be like me searching for Engineer instead of being more specific on salary dot com. He shouldn't compare NFL to NBA or MLB just like I shouldn't compare Civil Engineering to Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.

The point of the thread is that Watkins made the comment.

It's reasonable to feel from a fan perspective that Watkins should be the last one to talk about this considering the guy has had health issues. Fans don't want to hear a guy talk about getting more money when he's missing more then 50% of his games

Common sense. Watkins shouldn't be surprised if he gets flamed for his comments.

Stop it. Your making to much sense. Youll confuse them.

None. I'm at work. I did take an English class once, though. You're saying he should quit instead of staying in an oppressive environment, which is a statement he never made. He didn't say 'I don't make enough to do this'. You might have inferred that for some reason, but it's not what he said.

Now where Sammy went wrong here is he decided to compare across sports. It'd be like me searching for Engineer instead of being more specific on salary dot com. He shouldn't compare NFL to NBA or MLB just like I shouldn't compare Civil Engineering to Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.

He didnt have to say it. Its implied. He says the players need to make more. Clearly hes dissatisfied with his situation. If he doesnt like it he should do something else. Pretty sure employment is terminable at will in the NFL.

He didnt have to say it. Its implied. He says the players need to make more. Clearly hes dissatisfied with his situation. If he doesnt like it he should do something else. Pretty sure employment is terminable at will in the NFL.

What a silly inference to draw as if he's unhappy enough to contemplate a career change. :lol:

He should be happy with 80 mill. Find the poorest neighborhood in his town or here. Take a look around. See how good he has it. Be grateful. Is that so hard? Have some damn gratitude. Not the first time hes run his mouth. Remember the yall go back to your little jobs blast? This guy is an ungrateful ahole. This is America btw. If hes being so unfairly treated he should quit. Mcdonalds is always hiring

He should be grateful for his job? He didn't earn that opportunity? He works in a business that made $13.3B last year. The players are the reason that the business made that much. What piece of that $13.3B should go back to the players?

I'm in sales and have never been in a situation where someone told me I should be happy and grateful for my job. The amount of money that I generate correlates to the amount of money that I make. I too could go get a job at McDonald's but I took on debt in college and grad school to hopefully have more lucrative options. I don't feel thankful because I make more than what I would have at McDonalds. I worked hard and earned it.

Watkins worked at football to have more lucrative options. Now he is supposed to "just shut up and be happy" because other people have less? His business generates $13.3B a year!! That $13.3B is generated by 1,696 employees. While, I agree that Twitter probably isn't the best avenue to voice your displeasure, he's far from alone. NFL players talk about this subject all of the time.

Good morning Sammy, the Kings just offered Otto Porter JR. a max deal. Have a good day.

Ha ha, he will be guaranteed $20M more than the biggest guarantee in the NFL and $36M more than the 2nd highest guarantee in the NFL. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I understand that. But its a bad look coming from him with the injuries he's been dealing with to this point.

Fans don't want to hear this from him entering his final year in his contract and coming off an injury plagued season.

As someone already mentioned, just shut up and stay on the field.

Nonsense. He has just as much of a right to express himself as anyone else.

Translation. If you cant just blindly follow this team and support everything they do then theres no need for you here. Only people who think this team is going 19-0 belong. Take your hate and agenda elsewhere.

Sorry. Not going anywhere. Hate to pour salt in your koolaid.

He can quit. He shouldnt feel forced to stay in such an oppressive environment. Go back to school. Be a teacher or insurance salesman. This is the land of opportunity.

Or he can rally his fellow employees ( hence his tweet) / union brothers and create impetus to demand more at the bargain table for the next CBA. That's all this is. Nothing to see here .

Or he can rally his fellow employees ( hence his tweet) / union brothers and create impetus to demand more at the bargain table for the next CBA. That's all this is. Nothing to see here .

It's the heart of the matter as you so succinctly expressed. Not sure why some take such a personal affront to what he posted.

I get what you're saying but the 84m dollar salary cap floor in a sport that generates revenue like the NFL is laughable, thats a large part of the problem. And the owners are the ones laughing all the way to the bank. When the only two beneficiaries of revenue can be players or owners, i dont see how a discussion regarding $ can be had without addressing the root problem.

It's a rolling 4 year average of 89%

For a $167m cap that's $149m average spend. Single years might dip below though... but like I said, guaranteed contracts haven't been an nflpa issue because the group has openly focused on things like setting that floor and forcing the money to performing vets.

An 89% guaranteed spend is essentially like saying the union as a whole gets the guaranteed contract but individuals don't.

Edited by NoSaint

Just to be clear, I don't take any issue with those that think Sammy shouldn't hit send. He's a little tone deaf.

I also don't take issue with those people that think Sammy isn't worth "____ dollars." There is always someone that think a contract is great for the player and another guy that thinks it's great for the team.

I 100% take issue with "athletes make too much money." "You are lucky to have that." The NFL generated $13.3B last year. In every business those that generate the money make the money. If you don't want athletes to be paid that much stop funding the product!! Stop buying tickets, jerseys and hats. Stop clicking on the website. Stop playing fantasy football. Stop investing your time and money!! Until that happens the money coming in has to go somewhere. The players are the reason that it is coming in and should be entitled to a significant portion. In the NFL it's between 47-48% (I think) and in the NBA it's 51%. We have yet to see a reasonable argument that players deserve less. The money has to go somewhere.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just to be clear, I don't take any issue with those that thing Sammy shouldn't hit send. He's a little tone deaf.

I also don't take issue with those people that think Sammy isn't worth "____ dollars." There is always someone that think a contract is great for the player and another guy that thinks it's great for the team.

I 100% take issue with "athletes make too much money." "You are lucky to have that." The NFL generated $13.3B last year. In every business those that generate the money make the money. If you don't want athletes to be paid that much stop funding the product!! Stop buying tickets, jerseys and hats. Stop clicking on the website. Stop playing fantasy football. Stop investing your time and money!! Until that happens the money coming in has to go somewhere. The players are the reason that it is coming in and should be entitled to a significant portion. In the NFL it's between 47-48% (I think) and in the NBA it's 51%. We have yet to see a reasonable argument that players deserve less. The money has to go somewhere.

Agreed.