Watkins wants to get paid more

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. People who post stuff like that have no clue about what it takes (or how much risk is involved) in building a huge company/enterprise.

I don't think you got my point. The only risk is not finding enough gullible workers to slave away for you for crumbs.

If Sammy wanted to get paid like an NBA player, he should have worked harder at basketball and become an NBA player.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with athletes making the money they do. Good for them.

But it does come across as selfish when a guy making almost $5 million per year acts jealous of how much other people are making.

Watkins decided to join a sports league and play a position where the highest paid WR of all-time (Calvin Johnson) made roughly $18 million per year.

And Watkins is nowhere close to Calvin Johnson level. He barely cracks the Top 20 in the current NFL, in my opinion.

NFL rosters have over 50 players. NBA rosters have less than a dozen.

It's pretty simple to understand why NFL guys don't make as much.

Wow, this escalated quickly to 12 pages!

My official prediction:

He will have a very good season.

The Bills will franchise him.

If he follows up 2017 with a very good 2018, perhaps he gets his contract at that point.

He gets hurt, and bye-bye.

If Sammy wanted to get paid like an NBA player, he should have worked harder at basketball and become an NBA player.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with athletes making the money they do. Good for them.

But it does come across as selfish when a guy making almost $5 million per year acts jealous of how much other people are making.

Watkins decided to join a sports league and play a position where the highest paid WR of all-time (Calvin Johnson) made roughly $18 million per year.

And Watkins is nowhere close to Calvin Johnson level. He barely cracks the Top 20 in the current NFL, in my opinion.

NFL rosters have over 50 players. NBA rosters have less than a dozen.

It's pretty simple to understand why NFL guys don't make as much.

He's in the right profession as an NFL WR. His point is well taken with NFL players having relatively short careers and almost no guaranteed contracts much unlike the other three major professional sports leagues.

Also, to be correct, NBA rosters can have up to 17 players per the new CBA. As long as I have been following the NBA, the roster limit has been 12 or more.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think you are proving his point not your own.

He was given a 100 million contract for what he did in Tennessee when he came to the Redskins, but as soon as he did not live up to that level of play - they were able to get out of the contract and give that money to people that deserved it.

Hockey, Baseball, and Basketball- all have it wrong, but can survive because of the games and the players. How many albatross contracts do you hear about in those leagues . Guys that got paid for 1 years work as they hit FA and then fell back. Guys like Koby in LA that basically had a contract destroy the team when he could no longer play to that level. Baseball is the worse - they give out massive contracts to guys mid 30's and then try to figure out how to get rid of them when after 1 or 2 years they start to decline.

Football allows teams to get out of contracts and redistribute that money to guys that are more worthy right now. It stinks for the players that want the big payday without the work, but a guy like Brady, JJ Watt, or Von Miller seem to keep getting paid through injuries and age. I think the system works - you just have to keep putting in the effort.

You're the one arguing for guaranteed contracts....which would have paid him the full $100MM for essentially refusing to do the job he was hired for.

And your basis for this is that Haynesworth was "due a payday" (apparently from the Redskins for what he did with the Titans....because the Titans 'only' paid him $20MM and the Redskins another $30MM to so) is unfathomably moronic.

And yeah....the current system DID work out better for everyone because the Redskins used the money they saved when they dumped him to pay other players, including the one who took his place on the roster.

Let me be as succinct as possible so people don't think i'm arguing the wrong point:

1. Yes, I feel that contracts should be guaranteed in the NFL. Money has to go somewhere folks. And it's either going to go to the players, or stay with the owners. Players. Or owners. Again, players, or owners. Increase the salary cap per team, force the owners to spend more money. Or remove the hard salary cap and implement another formula that benefits the players a bit more.

2. Haynewworth is an absolute extreme example. He's highly regarded as the single worst FA signing in NFL history. But lets think about that for a second. The single worst FA signing in NFL history and the Redskins were only out what 35 million? The mets are still paying bobby bonilla millions.

3. And yes, Haynesworth deserved a payday. In any sport he would get a payday for being regarded as the best at his position when he hit FA. And what was his pay day in the end for being the best at his position? 35 million? If that is how an NFL player gets rewarded as compared to other professional sports, the system is broken. Again, I realize he was a bust, but Haynesworth is an extreme example of FA gone bad. At the end of the day, however, I'd rather the player benefit from FA going bad than the owners pocketing the revenue money as they sit in their nice suits in their luxury suites when it's -20 on a snowy day in Green Bay and player X dislocates his freaking knee cap.

He didn't say anything wrong. I think you just don't like the guy, period.

Yep. Anyone who critcizes the team or a player must be a hater. You forgot the agenda part though cause he clearly has an agenda against a franchise that hasnt made the $$$@#%!!$@ playoffs in seventeen years. 19-0 this year. I can feel it. Average margin of victory 55 pts. Pass the weed please.

The really amusing thing here is its likely this guy will be broke and/or bankrupt after he retires. I mean really, is there that big a difference between a 100 million dollars worth of hookers and drugs vs 300 million dollars worth of hookers and drugs. How much sex and blow does one really need?

I have always thought that nobody should be paid more than $1 million for any profession- especially athletes...it's just insane imho!

it's insane to think that in an industry making that much money there should be a limit to how much money the people who create the product should make. Sooo.... who gets the rest? Owners..... the Comish? It's fans who pay the dollars into th sport, and then we fault them for wanting more of it?

Sounds like a lot of hypocrisy.

You should be paid with a market dictates your product is worth. Not what some a****** thinks.

Yep. Anyone who critcizes the team or a player must be a hater. You forgot the agenda part though cause he clearly has an agenda against a franchise that hasnt made the $$$@#%!!$@ playoffs in seventeen years. 19-0 this year. I can feel it. Average margin of victory 55 pts. Pass the weed please.

What does Watkins saying NFL players should be paid more have to do with a 17 year playoff drought? The dots that people will connect are crazy!! I'm just waiting for Shady to tweet "come on out to my charity softball game to support ALS" and a Bills fan to respond "why should we go to a charity softball game when the football team has missed the playoffs for 17 years?" Everything that happens isn't related to a team that JP Losman quarterbacked a dozen years ago.

Now back on topic, there are a few different arguments in this thread that are being used interchangeably. They are not interchangeable.

- Should Watkins have tweeted that?

- Does Watkins deserve more money?

- Should NFL players be paid more?

All of those are different and have different answers.

The really amusing thing here is its likely this guy will be broke and/or bankrupt after he retires. I mean really, is there that big a difference between a 100 million dollars worth of hookers and drugs vs 300 million dollars worth of hookers and drugs. How much sex and blow does one really need?

What do you know about his spending and investment patterns to make such a statement?

Here's your evidence of an agenda. :rolleyes:

@TheBillsWire

Uhhh... the #Bills are going to the Super Bowl? Sammy Watkins seems to think so

https://t.co/J1tc1XUI19

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He's in the right profession as an NFL WR. His point is well taken with NFL players having relatively short careers and almost no guaranteed contracts much unlike the other three major professional sports leagues.

Also, to be correct, NBA rosters can have up to 17 players per the new CBA. As long as I have been following the NBA, the roster limit has been 12 or more.

Still, he CHOSE to pursue an NFL career. So he should accept the salary limitations and health risks of an NFL career.

One of the problems in today's American society is that most people spend too much time jealous and envious of people with more.

What do you know about his spending and investment patterns to make such a statement?

About 80 percent of pro athletes go broke within 5 years of retirement. Makes it likely hell do the same. Not a real big leap. Maybe its not hookers and drugs. Maybe its 100 hotel rooms on game day for his friends and family. Maybe its 50 million dollars for a bad business investment that a five year old would be smart enough to steer clear of. Maybe its 400k a month in child support for those seven kids. Just sick and tired of listening to these clowns gripe when theyre so reckless with money you and I could live on for 300 years. Edited by Billsmovinup

About 80 percent of pro athletes go broke within 5 years of retirement. Makes it likely hell do the same. Not a real big leap. Maybe its not hookers and drugs. Maybe its 100 hotel rooms on game day for his friends and family. Maybe its a 50 million dollars for a bad business investment that a five year old would be smart enough to steer clear of. Maybe its 400k a month in child support for those seven kids. Just sick and tiref of listening to these clowns gripe when there so reckless with money you and I could live on for 300 years.

Sounds like you're envious and bitter.

About 80 percent of pro athletes go broke within 5 years of retirement. Makes it likely hell do the same. Not a real big leap. Maybe its not hookers and drugs. Maybe its 100 hotel rooms on game day for his friends and family. Maybe its a 50 million dollars for a bad business investment that a five year old would be smart enough to steer clear of. Maybe its 400k a month in child support for those seven kids. Just sick and tiref of listening to these clowns gripe when there so reckless with money you and I could live on for 300 years.

Of that 80% how many of them made $100M? That's probably a fairly conservative estimate as to what Watkins will make in his career. He has 1 kid and believe it or not, he even knows the mother!!

it's insane to think that in an industry making that much money there should be a limit to how much money the people who create the product should make. Sooo.... who gets the rest? Owners..... the Comish? It's fans who pay the dollars into th sport, and then we fault them for wanting more of it?

Sounds like a lot of hypocrisy.

You should be paid with a market dictates your product is worth. Not what some a****** thinks.

Amen brother. We the fans create the problem and then we the fans complain about it.

The entire point of this thread was that NFL players are grossly underpaid when compared to their peers in the (team) sports entertainment industry, especially taking into account revenue generated by the league they play in. The point of this thread is not to compare players to what a package handler at UPS makes and thus call them greedy because they want more money.

In the end, revenue generated in the NFL has one of two routes: players or owners. There isnt a fund set up to pay malnourished Ethiopian children from the money saved on "bad" contracts. And that money from "bad" contracts isnt always reinvested in the team.

Half the league has tens of millions of dollars freed up in salary cap space. And thats based on a salary cap thats a joke relative to the revenue generated by the league.

Of that 80% how many of them made $100M? That's probably a fairly conservative estimate as to what Watkins will make in his career. He has 1 kid and believe it or not, he even knows the mother!!

Hope hes in the twenty %. Really do. Just tired of multi millionaire athletes complaining about their finances