Watkins wants to get paid more

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does Watkins saying NFL players should be paid more have to do with a 17 year playoff drought? The dots that people will connect are crazy!! I'm just waiting for Shady to tweet "come on out to my charity softball game to support ALS" and a Bills fan to respond "why should we go to a charity softball game when the football team has missed the playoffs for 17 years?" Everything that happens isn't related to a team that JP Losman quarterbacked a dozen years ago.

Now back on topic, there are a few different arguments in this thread that are being used interchangeably. They are not interchangeable.

- Should Watkins have tweeted that?

- Does Watkins deserve more money?

- Should NFL players be paid more?

All of those are different and have different answers.

I think many are reading the title of the thread and not the context of the tweet in the OP.

Sammy is free to say what he wishes, but whenever an athlete specially one who hasn't lived up to his expectations makes a comment that could easily be perceived as someone who believes that they are undervalued, it does leave them open for criticism. Some people know how to endear themselves to their fan base, others not so much. Sammy falls in the latter.

Hope hes in the twenty %. Really do. Just tired of multi millionaire athletes complaining about their finances

Put aside your personal biasis and answer the following questions as objectively as possible:

1. Which of the 3 major team sports is the most physically demanding?

2. Which of the 3 major team sports generates the most revenue?

3. Which of the 3 major team sports pays its players the least in guaranteed money?

NFL players have a right to be upset. But 100% of their anger should be directed at their predecessors for continuously dropping the ball in labor talks.

Sammy is free to say what he wishes, but whenever an athlete specially one who hasn't lived up to his expectations makes a comment that could easily be perceived as someone who believes that they are undervalued, it does leave them open for criticism. Some people know how to endear themselves to their fan base, others not so much. Sammy falls in the latter.

Exactly.

Exactly - I guarantee if Sammy Watkins and the NFL players are willing to play 84 regular season games (or 162 with baseball) and then 30 playoff games - his annual salary would dwarf Steph Currys, but they are balking at adding 17 or 18 - so I have no sympathy.

Lmao. Imagine the body count if these guys played 84 games. Youd need a roster of 500 guys.

Let me be as succinct as possible so people don't think i'm arguing the wrong point:

1. Yes, I feel that contracts should be guaranteed in the NFL. Money has to go somewhere folks. And it's either going to go to the players, or stay with the owners. Players. Or owners. Again, players, or owners. Increase the salary cap per team, force the owners to spend more money. Or remove the hard salary cap and implement another formula that benefits the players a bit more.

2. Haynewworth is an absolute extreme example. He's highly regarded as the single worst FA signing in NFL history. But lets think about that for a second. The single worst FA signing in NFL history and the Redskins were only out what 35 million? The mets are still paying bobby bonilla millions.

3. And yes, Haynesworth deserved a payday. In any sport he would get a payday for being regarded as the best at his position when he hit FA. And what was his pay day in the end for being the best at his position? 35 million? If that is how an NFL player gets rewarded as compared to other professional sports, the system is broken. Again, I realize he was a bust, but Haynesworth is an extreme example of FA gone bad. At the end of the day, however, I'd rather the player benefit from FA going bad than the owners pocketing the revenue money as they sit in their nice suits in their luxury suites when it's -20 on a snowy day in Green Bay and player X dislocates his freaking knee cap.

It's not players vs owners in this particular discussion. By instituting the salary floor the owners can't take that 65m and go buy a yacht, they have to give it to other players

The nflpa has prioritized getting money out of low performing players hands and into high performing veterans hands with this approach, the rookie salary structure etc...

Hope hes in the twenty %. Really do. Just tired of multi millionaire athletes complaining about their finances

Of the 80% how many of them made less than $100M? That's why he will be fine regardless.

There may not be a guy in sports worse with money and less educated than Floyd Mayweather. It doesn't matter at all. He is obviously an extreme example but walking around with $1M cash in a backpack isn't a great idea. His ridiculous spending habits don't matter. He keeps $100M in a checking account. It doesn't matter. The money is too much to go away.

That 20% is comprised of people like my friend Eric who played 7 seasons and averaged about $700K a year (or less). That $4.9M is significant but is dwarfed by $100M. There are always some exceptions like Antoine Walker but in general the guys that lose their money are the guys that had less money to begin with.

It's not players vs owners in this particular discussion. By instituting the salary floor the owners can't take that 65m and go buy a yacht, they have to give it to other players

The nflpa has prioritized getting money out of low performing players hands and into high performing veterans hands with this approach, the rookie salary structure etc...

I get what you're saying but the 84m dollar salary cap floor in a sport that generates revenue like the NFL is laughable, thats a large part of the problem. And the owners are the ones laughing all the way to the bank. When the only two beneficiaries of revenue can be players or owners, i dont see how a discussion regarding $ can be had without addressing the root problem.

If you had a choice of $80M or $200M , which would you take?

Not the point.

Put aside your personal biasis and answer the following questions as objectively as possible:

1. Which of the 3 major team sports is the most physically demanding?

2. Which of the 3 major team sports generates the most revenue?

3. Which of the 3 major team sports pays its players the least in guaranteed money?

NFL players have a right to be upset. But 100% of their anger should be directed at their predecessors for continuously dropping the ball in labor talks.

No the single mom who works three jobs to support her kids cause her ex doesnt pay child support has the right to be upset. Pro athletes should be dancing in the streets over what they get paid. And I just love how you koolaiders twist things. Im critical of watkins so I have a personal bias? Edited by Billsmovinup

Not the point.

How is that not the point? Obviously that's an extreme example but Watkins point remains. They are getting a smaller piece of the pie than the NBA players are getting. If NFL players got 51% like the NBA that would be about $212M per team for the players. That's a lot higher than the $167M that the cap is at.

How is that not the point? Obviously that's an extreme example but Watkins point remains. They are getting a smaller piece of the pie than the NBA players are getting. If NFL players got 51% like the NBA that would be about $212M per team for the players. That's a lot higher than the $167M that the cap is at.

He should be happy with 80 mill. Find the poorest neighborhood in his town or here. Take a look around. See how good he has it. Be grateful. Is that so hard? Have some damn gratitude. Not the first time hes run his mouth. Remember the yall go back to your little jobs blast? This guy is an ungrateful ahole. This is America btw. If hes being so unfairly treated he should quit. Mcdonalds is always hiring

Edited by Billsmovinup

Not the point.

No the single mom who works three jobs to support her kids cause her ex doesnt pay child support has the right to be upset. Pro athletes should be dancing in the streets over what they get paid. And I just love how you koolaiders twist things. Im critical of watkins so I have a personal bias?

The single mom? If you cant have a conversation that's fundamentally rooted in reality, then remove yourself from the conversation.

Not the point.

No the single mom who works three jobs to support her kids cause her ex doesnt pay child support has the right to be upset. Pro athletes should be dancing in the streets over what they get paid. And I just love how you koolaiders twist things. Im critical of watkins so I have a personal bias?

The sad reality is that the single mom who works 3 jobs doesn't generate nearly the same revenue for her employers that Sammy generates for the Pegulas and the NFL.

The single mom? If you cant have a conversation that's fundamentally rooted in reality, then remove yourself from the conversation.

Translation. If you cant just blindly follow this team and support everything they do then theres no need for you here. Only people who think this team is going 19-0 belong. Take your hate and agenda elsewhere.

Sorry. Not going anywhere. Hate to pour salt in your koolaid.

The sad reality is that the single mom who works 3 jobs doesn't generate nearly the same revenue for her employers that Sammy generates for the Pegulas and the NFL.

He can quit. He shouldnt feel forced to stay in such an oppressive environment. Go back to school. Be a teacher or insurance salesman. This is the land of opportunity.

Edited by Billsmovinup

Translation. If you cant just blindly follow this team and support everything they do then theres no need for you here. Only people who think this team is going 19-0 belong. Take your hate and agenda elsewhere.

Sorry. Not going anywhere. Hate to pour salt in your koolaid.

He can quit. He shouldnt feel forced to stay in such an oppressive environment. Go back to school. Be a teacher or insurance salesman. This is the land of opportunity.

So can the single mom, if she feels she isn't being compensated appropriately.