Watkins wants to get paid more

One cursory comparison between the NFL and NBA:

According to Forbes, the NFL's most valuable team, the Cowboys, have player expenses of $190m while the NBA's most valuable team, the Knicks, have player expenses of $86m. This disparity is seen all the way down the list of teams in both leagues. Revenues and operating income are approximately 2:1 NFL:NBA as well. Thought that was interesting.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was talking about football players because he's such a philanthropist that he's worried about everyone else? Ultimately he means that he wants more money.

Philanthropy has nothing to do with what NFL players make. With the short careers of NFL players combined with the non-guaranteed money, it's not an unreasonable point for him to address. Go ahead and be upset about it if you'd like.

I'll be happy when the 27th gets here.

Philanthropy has nothing to do with what NFL players make. With the short careers of NFL players combined with the non-guaranteed money, it's not an unreasonable point for him to address. Go ahead and be upset about it if you'd like.

I'll be happy when the 27th gets here.

Sammy is set for life if he isn't an idiot. Give me a break with this short career business. My point is that Sammy wants more money. That he is why he made that post. It's not because he's worried about other NFL players. NBA teams have far less expenses than NFL teams. Lets not treat Sammy like he's an economic scholar.

Sammy is set for life if he isn't an idiot. Give me a break with this short career business. My point is that Sammy wants more money. That he is why he made that post. It's not because he's worried about other NFL players. NBA teams have far less expenses than NFL teams. Lets not treat Sammy like he's an economic scholar.

Let's not act as if you can read into his motivations with any certainty. Too much hatorade when it comes to Sammy on TSW. Revel on though.

No he didn't. You mad too? :lol:

Not mad, more turned off. Multi-millionaires bitching about not making enough money in public is very low class. It's really a slap in the face to the other 99% of the world. Do it in private or have your agent work on it.

But hey, class has long since left the realm of public discussion so I guess it's all good.

Edited by vincec

Let's not act as if you can read into his motivations with any certainty. Too much hatorade when it comes to Sammy on TSW. Revel on though.

I think that Sammy just comes across as an out of touch prima donna imo. The "we gotta get paid more" and "little jobs" comment don't go over well with the average blue collar person.

I hope Sammy stays healthy and makes enough money for many generations. Period. Is it enough? Is it too much? I know it's plenty. Please stay healthy and show what you've got!!!

Not mad, more turned off. Multi-millionaires bitching about not making enough money in public is very low class. It's really a slap in the face to the other 99% of the world. Do it in private or have your agent work on it.

But hey, class has long since left the realm of public discussion so I guess it's all good.

Oh please! Comparing what NFL players make vs. NBA players has nothing to do with anyone else. Whine on!

I think that Sammy just comes across as an out of touch prima donna imo. The "we gotta get paid more" and "little jobs" comment don't go over well with the average blue collar person.

No I see the motivation. The clowns who were harassing him on Social Media were the targets of that.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Oh please! Comparing what NFL players make vs. NBA players has nothing to do with anyone else. Whine on!

Now I see the motivation. The clowns who were harassing him on Social Media were the targets of that.

Yes, but insulting an entire group of people to slander a select few is always inappropriate. He didn't just insult his attackers, he insulted an entire group of people. His recent "we gotta get paid more" tweet wasn't in response to anything. It just came across as a quote from an out of touch man. The Bills are a losing franchise. We are accustomed to teams of loveable losers. Prima Donna behavior doesn't mix well without the results.

Watkins is the perfect player to speak on it. NFL players shouldnt have to worry about losing money over an injury.

Watkins said WE, not I. He is talking about NFL players, it has been said many times before around this time when NBA players start signing deals.

Watkins has been compensated handsomely for the limited production he has had on the field (injuries playing a large role). His future ability to earn at his present level, or above, will be determined, rightfully so, on his ability to stay on the field and produce as an elite receiver.

Yes, but insulting an entire group of people to slander a select few is always inappropriate. He didn't just insult his attackers, he insulted an entire group of people. His recent "we gotta get paid more" tweet wasn't in response to anything. It just came across as a quote from an out of touch man. The Bills are a losing franchise. We are accustomed to teams of loveable losers. Prima Donna behavior doesn't mix well without the results.

You make quite a few inaccurate leaps based on falsehoods. His Social Media response was directed specifically at people who came at him and his tweet was based on the new contract Steph Curry just signed with GSW.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

But they should make more money after an injury? If I'm injuried in an accident or the like I wouldn't receive my regular pay. Football players are compensated handsomely enough (especially first round picks such as Sammy) to cover the loss of money due to injury. It is their responsibility to manage their money wisely if the unforeseen occurs.

Every job is different and unique.

You make quite a few inaccurate leaps based on falsehoods. His Social Media response was directed specifically at people who came at him and his tweet was based on the new contract Steph Curry just signed with GSW.

If someone "came at you" do you hurl a racial/ethnic slur at them? The answer is no for most people. You don't insult an entire group of people based on a few bad ones. This is essentially what Sammy did on social media. He insulted people as having "little jobs" because he didn't like them picking on him. That very insult could demonstrate an overall mindset and attitude that Sammy has. It extends beyond the people he was firing back at.

As far as commenting on Curry. It wouldn't have been bad if he said something like "wish we'd get the kind of cash that the NBA guys do". Instead Sammy said "we gotta get paid" as if he isn't handsomely compensated now. It just doesn't resonate well in the ears of some. I respect that you view this situation differently. It's certainly not a life or death matter, and I'll agree to disagree.

I am just concerned about Sammy having the proper mental makeup to achieve his full potential on the field. Sammy comes across as being mentally fragile and sometimes demonstrates poor judgement. I'm not convinced that he can be a team leader. Leadership is a quality you need from a player as talented as Sammy. I get a much better vibe from a guy like Zay Jones regarding composure and mental makeup.

Just curious, if Kyle Williams had said this, would people still be mad?

Moot point. Kyle Williams wouldn't have. That is why he's a fan favorite.

You are probably right, Kirb...I guess, as an artist, I have always been more of a dreamer of alternative methods of trying to make things more fair and balanced- outside of the current construct of things of course.

When I see guys making $30-40 million a year for entertaining the masses it is a little unsettling to me, especially considering that they are not really contributing anything useful to the society as a whole... and also considering there are people starving and without healthcare.

This is where i was headed. Not enough revenues put back into community development and education etc.

And cheaper Hot Dogs at the Stadium !

This may be the topic that I feel strongest about that we discuss and for the life of me can't understand the other side. The people generating the revue in every company are the highest paid. It is no different here it's just the numbers are so large we can't wrap our heads around them. Honest question though, do people really believe that the players should be paid less than 48.5% of the money that the NFL makes?!? If you removed all of the players how much money would the league make?

Now we can all squabble about which players deserve which percentage but the argument that players make too much money is beyond asinine. It's totally uninformed. The league wouldn't make $12.5B (or whatever it is) a year without players!!

You're missing the core issue with the tweet. The people funding everyone involved in the NFL getting rich just don't want it communicated to them in such a flippant way.

I would be upset if Pegula tweeted - We gotta get paid more - NBA reducing their share with players should mean us too. #2018goingbehuge