Watkins wants to get paid more

If someone "came at you" do you hurl a racial/ethnic slur at them? The answer is no for most people. You don't insult an entire group of people based on a few bad ones. This is essentially what Sammy did on social media. He insulted people as having "little jobs" because he didn't like them picking on him. That very insult could demonstrate an overall mindset and attitude that Sammy has. It extends beyond the people he was firing back at.

As far as commenting on Curry. It wouldn't have been bad if he said something like "wish we'd get the kind of cash that the NBA guys do". Instead Sammy said "we gotta get paid" as if he isn't handsomely compensated now. It just doesn't resonate well in the ears of some. I respect that you view this situation differently. It's certainly not a life or death matter, and I'll agree to disagree.

I am just concerned about Sammy having the proper mental makeup to achieve his full potential on the field. Sammy comes across as being mentally fragile and sometimes demonstrates poor judgement. I'm not convinced that he can be a team leader. Leadership is a quality you need from a player as talented as Sammy. I get a much better vibe from a guy like Zay Jones regarding composure and mental makeup.

Moot point. Kyle Williams wouldn't have. That is why he's a fan favorite.

But what if he HAD said it. That was the question I asked.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what if he HAD said it. That was the question I asked.

I see what you're getting at, but personally I would have been just as critical of him. Sammy says a lot of stupid things. Williams doesn't. It's quite simple really. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Watkins has been compensated handsomely for the limited production he has had on the field (injuries playing a large role). His future ability to earn at his present level, or above, will be determined, rightfully so, on his ability to stay on the field and produce as an elite receiver.

Watkins is an NFL player and the CBA expires in 3 years. It has nothing to do with Watkins ability. It's about the players piece of the pie.

Sammy Watkins is right. They should get more. NBA players receive 51% of revenue while NFL players receive 47%.

Watkins is an NFL player and the CBA expires in 3 years. It has nothing to do with Watkins ability. It's about the players piece of the pie.

Sammy Watkins is right. They should get more. NBA players receive 51% of revenue while NFL players receive 47%.

Getting "a piece of the pie" isn't what capitalism is all about though. Complaining that "We want more because Curry earns more" comes across as naivety from people who haven't experienced the real world. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

My main point is, it is ridiculous money all around. Watson should be concerned about his ability to produce and stay on the field-- not the players' piece of that enormous pie.

My main point is, it is ridiculous money all around. Watson should be concerned about his ability to produce and stay on the field-- not the players' piece of that enormous pie.

Who? In all seriousness, why can't a guy make that kind of commentary w/o it having an impact on his preparation for the season? One has no bearing upon the other.

Why wouldn't he be concerned with both? Drew Brees is probably the most vocal and he has made nearly $200 million.

True, but ultimately the NFLPA only has so much leverage. What alternative career options do these guys have where they'll make more money?

Even if they get 1% more it's 1% of $13 billion. A lot of money. I wouldn't be shocked if the NFLPA and agents encourage players to speak out. Edited by TheTruthHurts

Oh please! Comparing what NFL players make vs. NBA players has nothing to do with anyone else. Whine on!

If it has nothing to do with anyone else then why is he broadcasting it on twitter for everyone else to see? Your defense of him is asinine.

He want's everyone to see the grave injustice of what he makes compared to other athletes... as if what he makes now isn't an outrage to everyday people already. He will get very little sympathy as you can see from the reaction on this thread. And these are Bills fans. Imagine what the reaction of the general public would be who don't give a crap about Sammy Watkins at all.

Edited by vincec

If it has nothing to do with anyone else then why is he broadcasting it on twitter for everyone else to see? You're defense of him is asinine.

Exactly. Why didn't he say that school teachers should be paid more if he wasn't thinking of himself. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

If it has nothing to do with anyone else then why is he broadcasting it on twitter for everyone else to see? Your defense of him is asinine.

He want's everyone to see the grave injustice of what he makes compared to other athletes... as if what he makes now isn't an outrage to everyday people already. He will get very little sympathy as you can see from the reaction on this thread. And these are Bills fans. Imagine what the reaction of the general public would be who don't give a crap about Sammy Watkins at all.

Comparing athletes and their compensation to everyday people and getting outraged about. Now that's asinine. If you're that pissed don't watch football or movies for that matter. Stop listening to ultra-rich music artists too. :lol:

You're missing the core issue with the tweet. The people funding everyone involved in the NFL getting rich just don't want it communicated to them in such a flippant way.

I would be upset if Pegula tweeted - We gotta get paid more - NBA reducing their share with players should mean us too. #2018goingbehuge

I wasn't missing that. Regardless of whether or not people want to hear it, his point remains. I think it's valid. They receive a smaller percentage than their NBA brethren (without getting into the guarantees). So he might be a little tone deaf in bringing it up but that doesn't make the point wrong.

Comparing athletes and their compensation to everyday people and getting outraged about. Now that's asinine. If you're that pissed don't watch football or movies for that matter. Stop listening to ultra-rich music artists too. :lol:

I don't think most reasonable people are going to hate on athletes,musicians, and actors for making money. It's simply the way it works. The problem occurs when these people make out of touch statements. Some actors,musicians,and athletes are wise enough to admit that they are blessed. Others make statements such as Sammy's "we gotta get paid more". NFL players likely will get paid more anyway.