Bills 1964 and 1965 Championship Game films

Man was Cookie Gilchrist a stud or what!!!!

I was much more impressed with Sestak. He was double OR triple teamed on every single play in both games. Even when SD kept him off the stat sheet, with that much attention to #70, it's no wonder the League's best offense 6 years running scored a total of 7 points in 2 consecutive championship games.

Classics thanks for posting these. What a venue the rockpile POS

I was much more impressed with Sestak. He was double OR triple teamed on every single play in both games. Even when SD kept him off the stat sheet, with that much attention to #70, it's no wonder the League's best offense 6 years running scored a total of 7 points in 2 consecutive championship games.

Donald jones with Murphy should watch these. He thinks Darius might have better potential than bruce. Darius isn't in the same league with sestak

Chargers: #1 rushing offense, #1 passing offense, #1 total offense. #1 rushing defense, #1 passing defense, #1 total defense.

Shut out 23-0, at home.

How about that for a championship game performance? Too bad the 1990s teams couldn't muster a game like that at least once.

Chargers: #1 rushing offense, #1 passing offense, #1 total offense. #1 rushing defense, #1 passing defense, #1 total defense.

Shut out 23-0, at home.

How about that for a championship game performance? Too bad the 1990s teams couldn't muster a game like that at least once.

Mike Stratton was a HITTING Machine!

Where's the first down line? The constant score, yds, down? The fantasy football stats? Geez, how did people even watch this?

You forgot the scroll and the barrage of whats coming up on TV tonight. "The Miller post game show bought to you by Miller is coming up after hte game'

Ahhh. Those days were fun.

What a defense.

wow. good find. would those teams have contended against NFL champs for superbowl? remind me when superbowls started?

In the 1966 season, the Chiefs beat the Bills in Buffalo to win the AFL championship and go to the first Super Bowl.

He was a great ball carrier. Didn't play enough in the NFL to establish himself as an all-time great, but only he and Jim Brown combined speed and power in that era.

If only we could see that in our lifetimes....Thanks for posting that was great!

I DID see that in my lifetime.

wow. good find. would those teams have contended against NFL champs for superbowl? remind me when superbowls started?

I've been involved in this debate a number of times. The Browns were the NFL Champs in '64. The Bills of '64 would have given them everything they could handle as ours was the 1st truly dominant defense in the AFL. I jus can't see a way Jim Brown would carve us up. We'd lost talent and coaches and had critical injuries in 65', but the defense still throttles SD in the title game. I don't think we'd have beaten GB, had the Super Bowl begun just one year earlier. 2 years earlier? Yes.

Mike Stratton was a HITTING Machine!

I was at that '64 game with my father. I swear you could hear Keith Lincoln's ribs break in the stands after that hit. Changed the game.

Edited by MDFan

I was at that '64 game with my father. I swear you could hear Keith Lincoln's ribs break in the stands after that hit. Changed the game.

The 'Hit Heard 'round the Pro Football World!' is how it's described.

Yes, SD raced down the field and put up a TD on the opening drive. Fairly certain Stratton's hit came either on their next offensive series or the following -and they were never able to overcome the huge momentum shift that hit created.

That is why Mike Stratton was my favorite player when I was a kid.

The 'Hit Heard 'round the Pro Football World!' is how it's described.

Yes, SD raced down the field and put up a TD on the opening drive. Fairly certain Stratton's hit came either on their next offensive series or the following -and they were never able to overcome the huge momentum shift that hit created.

That hit got the crowd fired up and the Bills as well. Even though I was only 8 years old I still remember that feeling. Perfectly clean and legal hit too, even by today's standards.

The original "beast mode". He definitely played with an attitude and would put a hurt on you.

Where's the first down line? The constant score, yds, down? The fantasy football stats? Geez, how did people even watch this?

We were blessed to even be able to watch in Living COLOR!

We drove to a Holiday Inn, off the Thruway at Rochester, to watch the 64 game.. The hotel went crazy when the game was over. 20-7, Good times!!

I have a cassette of the whole 65 AFL championship game

So do I! -courtesy of Buftex

I learned at least two things watching those videos:

1 -- I didn't know Kemp was called "Jackie"

2 -- I didn't know Wray Carlton was a Dookie

Yep, Jackie. As in "We just stole Jackie Kemp from San Diego!" -my Dad being excited with the neighbor guys mid '63.

The thing I like better about today's game than the 1964-65 vintage is...

...............................................................................................................

................................................................................................................

hmmm..................................................................................................

...........................................................................................................

............still thinking.............................................................................

................................................................................................................

..........................if you can think of anything, let me know!

Figured you guys would also enjoy episode two of the five part series "Full Color Football" that covers the Bills' AFL championship seasons:

You figured right. Great link, thank you so much. Earlier I said the original post was the greatest post ever, for me, this is the greatest thread ever.

After the mid 60's, we had to live through the late 60, most of the 70's and 80;s. I always wished they would just do a game by game weekly series of replays of those mid-60 years. I still think it would draw a lot of viewers in Buffalo.