PFF: The Unstoppable Run Schemes of the Buffalo Bills

Big C

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-the-unstoppable-option-run-schemes-of-the-buffalo-bills/

Nice little read about our option runs under Roman & Lynn with a few gifs. One of the big questions going into next season will be if Dennison can replicate our successful ground game. Tyrod's value as a runner cannot be understated, no matter what you think of him as a passer.

Couple things in the gifs regarding past Bills: Hope any of our new WRs blocks like Woods. Love his hustle down the field on that first play. Always with the runner, looking for someone to hit. Gillislee's ability to make one cut into the hole and just get downfield is something we need to see from JWill (or whoever our RB2 is). I hope he doesn't gash us next year.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-the-unstoppable-option-run-schemes-of-the-buffalo-bills/

Nice little read about our option runs under Roman & Lynn with a few gifs. One of the big questions going into next season will be if Dennison can replicate our successful ground game. Tyrod's value as a runner cannot be understated, no matter what you think of him as a passer.

Couple things in the gifs regarding past Bills: Hope any of our new WRs blocks like Woods. Love his hustle down the field on that first play. Always with the runner, looking for someone to hit. Gillislee's ability to make one cut into the hole and just get downfield is something we need to see from JWill (or whoever our RB2 is). I hope he doesn't gash us next year.

I was about to start a new thread linking this very same article but big C beat me to it.

While most fans worry about the passing game, I don't. I think we pretty much know what it'll look like this year (and it won't look like Drew Brees throwing for 5,000 yards).

What I worry about instead is the run game. It was so effective last year - most yards, most yards per play before contact, most yards per play - that it's hard to imagine it being so productive again.

I hope Rico is studying what worked last year for us, besides bringing in his own stuff.

JW had those same holes and sucked.

Supposedly he was running with a hurt foot.

But I agree, JW did not look impressive in '16.

Good stuff. This is also the reason why Gillislee had the numbers he did. That's why I wasn't worried about Gillie going to Pats for big $$.

anyone miss Karlos Williams? Exactly.. here's hoping we say the same thing about Gilesee. Edited by Idandria

....so the unstoppable run game and 7-9 equate to happy happy?..........interesting......

Last year's record is not on the running game. Even with no WRs at times, if that team had a coach and any semblance of a defense they make the playoffs.

....so the unstoppable run game and 7-9 equate to happy happy?..........interesting......

My reply was going to be "so unstoppable we made the playof - - oh wait"

Last year's record is not on the running game. Even with no WRs at times, if that team had a coach and any semblance of a defense they make the playoffs.

I think issue was taken with the word "unstoppable"

An except:

Buffalo averaged 5.15 yards per carry on designed runs last year. The difference between the Bills and the second-place Cowboys is the same as the difference between the Cowboys and the ninth-place Steelers.

The run game was damn good. Doesn't mean the pass game or defense was any good.

...last year's record is a culmination of many failures IMO........COACHING or lack thereof.....advertise to the world you're a "run first" offense?...why?....telegraph your intent on billboards?...consider the blowhard source with only ONE stallion in the stable...Shady goes and then what?.......no substance like the old man....who takes a top 5 defense to the bowels of 19 other than Wrecks?.....throw in a Roman inherited offense by Lynn, knowing that Roman flipped out when Cassel was traded, saddled with TT as second fiddle, and wonder how much Roman's turpitude was into TT's development...throw in TT's ability to yet show he can process/read the entire field in <5 seconds...sounds like the makings of a "winner" IMO........

The article gives credit to the threat of Tyrod's running - some of us have been saying this for a while.

It's hard to quantify TT's contribution to the offense last year. He didn't throw for a lot of yards and he certainly demonstrated some deficiencies as a passer. But Tyrod added more to the ground game than just the yards he actually ran for. Just talking about the run game, there was a powerful alchemy in the combination of Shady athleticism, Tyrod's athleticism, Roman's play-design and ALynn's play-calling.

I'm really interested in seeing how Dennison uses Tyrod & Shady this season.

I dont care about having the #1 Run game, its not how you get to the superbowl. You MUST be able to throw the damn ball and do it well. I would rather drop to 8th or 10th in rushing and greatly increase our passing numbers.

Football is simple: all you need to do is score more points than your opponent.

And we scored a lot of points last season - especially when TT was playing and ALynn was calling the plays.

But our opponents scored even more 9 out of 16 times. That's not the fault of our offensive passing game.

I don't care how we score our points as long as we score more than the other guys.

Edited by hondo in seattle

While most fans worry about the passing game, I don't. I think we pretty much know what it'll look like this year (and it won't look like Drew Brees throwing for 5,000 yards).

What I worry about instead is the run game. It was so effective last year - most yards, most yards per play before contact, most yards per play - that it's hard to imagine it being so productive again.

Our Defense sucked last year...That is the main worry for this team. Tyrod is a servicable QB and with that kind of Running game, if the defense kept its side of the bargain, we would have won more games.

...last year's record is a culmination of many failures IMO........COACHING or lack thereof.....advertise to the world you're a "run first" offense?...why?....telegraph your intent on billboards?...consider the blowhard source with only ONE stallion in the stable...Shady goes and then what?.......no substance like the old man....who takes a top 5 defense to the bowels of 19 other than Wrecks?.....throw in a Roman inherited offense by Lynn, knowing that Roman flipped out when Cassel was traded, saddled with TT as second fiddle, and wonder how much Roman's turpitude was into TT's development...throw in TT's ability to yet show he can process/read the entire field in <5 seconds...sounds like the makings of a "winner" IMO........

well said otag...

That should be no surprise to anyone. Greg Roman is the best coordinator of a running game in the National Football League. He is as creative in the run game as any of the more well known "offensive innovators" who focus on the passing game. Take this to the bank - The Ravens running game which was moribund last year will be top 10 this year. Greg Roman is just that darn good.

Now his passing game on the other hand.... might kindly be described as "basic" and where the Shanahan / Kubiak / Rico scheme is much better than Roman is using the run to set up the pass. Roman's offenses lack that philosophical cohesion.

I do fear we will become a bit more one dimensional in the run game though. Roman could beat your every way in the running game. When he was calling the plays they focused on trying to get Shady outside. Lynn's calling of the plays from the same playbook focused on getting Shady north and south more quickly.... both styles of run game topped the league in rushing offense. Rico said they have looked at elements and will try and incorporate some of what Roman did, but I think you can expect us to be 90% a zone stretch run game which takes away a little bit of the back's ability to "freelance" on plays because there will, simply by nature of the scheme, be unblocked defenders coming from the open side. Now we know Shady can still make a defender miss in the open field, but for him to have a big year he will need to stay nice and disciplined in the scheme and hit the holes that it creates.

Top 10 in offensive touchdowns.

I agree we need a better passing game, but not to the extent Bills fans think.

If the run game stays the same. If the run game drops from say 1st to say 10th or 12th (just for reference Denver were 17th (13th in ypa) and 27th (28th in ypa) in Rico's two years there as OC) then the improvement we need from Tyrod to pick up the slack as well as a better collective effort defensively will be greater than it would have been simply adding a small improvement from Tyrod and a big step from the D to Roman's run game.

Good stuff. This is also the reason why Gillislee had the numbers he did. That's why I wasn't worried about Gillie going to Pats for big $$.

Gillislee got more per play than McCoy. Yeah the play designs helped. But that wasn't why Gillislee was good.

Losing him hurts.

anyone miss Karlos Williams? Exactly.. here's hoping we say the same thing about Gilesee.

Gillislee was already on the team and looking excellent when we cut Karlos Williams. In 2015, Gillislee had averaged 5.7 YPG, and that's why there wasn't much of an uproar except maybe sadness about losing Karlos.

This year we haven't got someone ready to move in and take over who has already looked very good the way that Gillislee had in 2015.

Gillislee got more per play than McCoy. Yeah the play designs helped. But that wasn't why Gillislee was good.

Losing him hurts.

Gillislee was already on the team and looking excellent when we cut Karlos Williams. In 2015, Gillislee had averaged 5.7 YPG, and that's why there wasn't much of an uproar except maybe sadness about losing Karlos.

This year we haven't got someone ready to move in and take over who has already looked very good the way that Gillislee had in 2015.

Far too much lament over the loss of a backup RB IMO.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Top 10 in offensive touchdowns.

I agree we need a better passing game, but not to the extent Bills fans think.

Yup. Top ten in offensive touchdowns.

And 37% of those TDs came on passes. 17 out of 46. So yeah, we need a better passing game. To a very large extent.

By the way, know how many other NFL teams scored less than 50% of their TDs on running plays? Zero. Our passing game was simply below par.

Having lost Roman and Gillislee (Roman being the key factor), we're unlikely to do as well this year running. Last year's 29 running TDs wasn't just best in the league it was far and away the best. The second-best team had 24 and the two teams tied for third had 20. We're not likely to get 29 running TDs again. The pass game is going to have to step it up bigtime for this team to be competitive. That's part of the reason why the consensus among the pundits of progressive prognostication is maybe five to six wins this year.

Edited by Thurman#1

He was a very good rotational back... And I hope you are right, but when McCoy goes down Tolbert and JW are our RBs. Cringe worthy.

I still think either Banyard or O'Neal end up making he team. Our best hope is one of them is an undiscovered gem like TD Mike was.

Excellent article. To me, Taylor is the most important piece to the Bills running game. As far as quarterbacks, Tyrod's running skills are the best in the NFL because of his combination of speed, instincts and agility. He has a skill set similar to what you would see from a slot wr or third down rb. Pair that with his ability to make NFL throws (especially deep balls) and TT is a headache for defensive coordinators. Defenses game plan to stop Taylor on the ground and when he is left uncovered it is often a mistake on the defenders part and not by design.

5.7 YPC, no he almost certainly won't.

But will he be a valued and successful rotational contributor who will deserve the salary he's getting? Yeah, probably.

Yes but what does it matter how you score Touchdowns if your scoring a lot of Touchdowns?

The end result is the same, correct?

Yeah.

And the end result was that the run game was very very good and the pass game was below average. Yup, it still totals the same way, but the run game simply looked terrific and the pass game just didn't.

You tried to use the total offensive stats to prove the pass game didn't need much improvement. What that actually proves is that the run game didn't need any and the offensive totals were solid too, basically because the run game (with a run-game genius coach who is now gone) was superb. Doesn't mean the pass game wasn't sub-standard, though. It was.

Edited by Thurman#1

The pass game didn't look awful by any means. It was OK, yes it needs to improve.

My point was people B word about the offense and Tyrod but overall they were a good unit that scored TDs.... The defense was the main culprit last season. They were atrocious.

Can't & won't deny the great back to back League rushing titles, BUT, with pedestrian or hobbled WR's for the majority of the season, there was too much emphasis on running which caused far too may 3 and outs overall. Some games we went a couple quarters w/o 1 one first down.. Yes, Wrecks' defense was porous, but they were forced onto the field too often last year, IMO.

Don't let Big Cats heat maps fool you.

They were actually good at staying on the field and reducing the 3 and outs after Roman was fired.

No it's 3 and outs in bunches you need to look at.... errr... no.... it's 3 and outs when the game is within 7 points...... errr... no.... it's 3 and outs on days when the wind is blowing south westerly......

The problem with the defense was the defense.

I dont care about having the #1 Run game, its not how you get to the superbowl. You MUST be able to throw the damn ball and do it well. I would rather drop to 8th or 10th in rushing and greatly increase our passing numbers.

Most of this statement is short-sighted and incorrect.

The marks of a good offense are POINTS SCORED, AVOIDING TURNOVERS and EFFICIENCY.

How a team manages to accomplish these things (running or passing) is completely and totally irrelevant.

Does this mean our passing game is good enough right now? Absolutely not. There are going to be times where the team is behind without much time on the clock, and Tyrod Taylor is forced to move the ball with his arm. These are moments when the run game will not help and the QB can't afford to play it safe. We need Tyrod to get better in these moments. No doubt.

But I hate when people suggest the Bills should just forget the run and become a passing team, because "that's what wins in the NFL." It's just not true.

Watkins and Clay have to stay healthy.

A third receiving option needs to emerge.

Taylor needs to be a better thrower. 2 years of starting may help that.

Or this running game will amount nothing.

Also, a better tackling defense is the team's biggest weakness that needs to shore up or playoff talk is dead.

If I were Beane and McD, I would get out ahead of the NFL curve, Right now the focus is passing game, and as such defenses are going to more DB's, LB's that are smaller and can cover, and so on. So I'd get as many big uglies as I could get up front, have Dimarco at FB, and Shady, go out and get a battering ram type RB to complement McCoy, and I'd run a three tackle, one TE, and Sammy out wide. And I'd just cram the ball down the other team's throat. And when they put 9 guys in the box, either my big uglies beat their guys, or play action and hit Sammy for an easy throw.

Four yards and a cloud of ground up tires. Beat them into submission, control the ball for 45 minutes of every game.

I still think either Banyard or O'Neal end up making he team. Our best hope is one of them is an undiscovered gem like TD Mike was.

ONeal will get the nod because youth

And Tolbert is NOT cringe worthy at all. pull your self together ScotLaw

I suspect Williams will fill in just fine. They want a one cut hit the hole guy and he's that. Just needs to make sure he holds onto the ball.

I dont think that is what they want. Is this a zone line scheme coming? power to the outside and find the cutback gaps.Best option wins.

Maybe they will run between Tackles since they have Toblerone and Dimarco and O'Leary.

What makes you think they want the one cut guy?

Consider me humble here.

I might think it will be a RBs choice to find the best lane and work the levels. Not so much as last years, beat the LB and run like hell

If I were Beane and McD, I would get out ahead of the NFL curve, Right now the focus is passing game, and as such defenses are going to more DB's, LB's that are smaller and can cover, and so on. So I'd get as many big uglies as I could get up front, have Dimarco at FB, and Shady, go out and get a battering ram type RB to complement McCoy, and I'd run a three tackle, one TE, and Sammy out wide. And I'd just cram the ball down the other team's throat. And when they put 9 guys in the box, either my big uglies beat their guys, or play action and hit Sammy for an easy throw.

Four yards and a cloud of ground up tires. Beat them into submission, control the ball for 45 minutes of every game.

This as Romans, and likely Lynn's vision roughly. Roman wanted to win with the run. And he nearly could.

I did think it was to buck the trend of LBrs and Safeties becoming so nickle and dime. (ha).

And i still think it is the Bills mantra. Hence two 2 FBs ? Or the Bowling Bowl theory in Mike Tolbert. I hope so.

With having a reasonable WR core now whom have had, and will have time to get reps with TT, The Pass game will expand after all.

I mean HEY Sammy caught a screen pass in Practice this week !!

Hope lives

ONeal will get the nod because youth

And Tolbert is NOT cringe worthy at all. pull your self together ScotLaw

I dont think that is what they want. Is this a zone line scheme coming? power to the outside and find the cutback gaps.Best option wins.

Maybe they will run between Tackles since they have Toblerone and Dimarco and O'Leary.

What makes you think they want the one cut guy?

Consider me humble here.

I might think it will be a RBs choice to find the best lane and work the levels. Not so much as last years, beat the LB and run like hell

Forget where I read it but Williams talked about the one cut thing. Shady isn't that but Shady is a different beast entirely.

Yup. Top ten in offensive touchdowns.

And 37% of those TDs came on passes. 17 out of 46. So yeah, we need a better passing game. To a very large extent.

By the way, know how many other NFL teams scored less than 50% of their TDs on running plays? Zero. Our passing game was simply below par.

Having lost Roman and Gillislee (Roman being the key factor), we're unlikely to do as well this year running. Last year's 29 running TDs wasn't just best in the league it was far and away the best. The second-best team had 24 and the two teams tied for third had 20. We're not likely to get 29 running TDs again. The pass game is going to have to step it up bigtime for this team to be competitive. That's part of the reason why the consensus among the pundits of progressive prognostication is maybe five to six wins this year.

Thurman, I respect you as one of the more intelligent posters on this board but I have to disagree to an extent.

Let's say the Bills score 100 offensive TDs this year. But only 37 of the 100 TDs came through the air. Would you still be disappointed in the passing game?

The percent of TDs that come through the air is meaningless.

Think about this: teams today generally pass more than they run. So today's defenses (schemes, rosters, lineups) are more designed to stop the pass than the run. In fact, defenses are in nickel and dime packages about 60% of the time.

The ancient Chinese strategist, Sun Tzu, said it's best to 'attack where there is no defense.' So if defenses are trying to stop the pass, maybe the smart thing to do right now is run. It's certainly the smart thing to do when your RB is better than your QB.

In the end, why do we care how we get our points as long as we score more than our opponent?

Last year, we were in the top 10 in scoring but our D was weak. We need to get better at D. But you're right - we're unlikely to be as effective on the ground this year as we were last year. So - to stay in the top 10 in scoring - we're going to have to develop a better passing game. And I think we will - screw the pundits.

Most of this statement is short-sighted and incorrect.

The marks of a good offense are POINTS SCORED, AVOIDING TURNOVERS and EFFICIENCY.

How a team manages to accomplish these things (running or passing) is completely and totally irrelevant.

Does this mean our passing game is good enough right now? Absolutely not. There are going to be times where the team is behind without much time on the clock, and Tyrod Taylor is forced to move the ball with his arm. These are moments when the run game will not help and the QB can't afford to play it safe. We need Tyrod to get better in these moments. No doubt.

But I hate when people suggest the Bills should just forget the run and become a passing team, because "that's what wins in the NFL." It's just not true.

"... How a team manages to accomplish these things (running or passing) is completely and totally irrelevant." ...

while i might agree with the gist of this, it is not totally irrelevant. if you have a team, much like the Bills last year, that is based upon the ground game and their passing game is not really up to snuf, then when they get behind and have to play catch up, it becomes very relevant. when teams are behind, they rely moreso on their passing game to quickly catch up. same applies if you are losing and there are only 2 minutes remaining in the game. at that point, it becomes imperative that your passing game can flourish.

Edited by Foxx

Forget where I read it but Williams talked about the one cut thing. Shady isn't that but Shady is a different beast entirely.

I believe JW said that.

Lets see how these guys use him I suppose. Watching his highlight videos last year post draft, the Kid has potential for sure. Shame his foot was holding him back last year. And yes, Shady is a beast, entirely

Thurman, I respect you as one of the more intelligent posters on this board but I have to disagree to an extent.

Let's say the Bills score 100 offensive TDs this year. But only 37 of the 100 TDs came through the air. Would you still be disappointed in the passing game?

The percent of TDs that come through the air is meaningless.

Think about this: teams today generally pass more than they run. So today's defenses (schemes, rosters, lineups) are more designed to stop the pass than the run. In fact, defenses are in nickel and dime packages about 60% of the time.

The ancient Chinese strategist, Sun Tzu, said it's best to 'attack where there is no defense.' So if defenses are trying to stop the pass, maybe the smart thing to do right now is run. It's certainly the smart thing to do when your RB is better than your QB.

In the end, why do we care how we get our points as long as we score more than our opponent?

Last year, we were in the top 10 in scoring but our D was weak. We need to get better at D. But you're right - we're unlikely to be as effective on the ground this year as we were last year. So - to stay in the top 10 in scoring - we're going to have to develop a better passing game. And I think we will - screw the pundits.

you cannot just snatch out of your hip pocket "Art of War" and expect to go unnoticed did you?

The end game is what matters. How you win matters not.

BTW I love the run game. very biased. But i miss real dirt too

"... How a team manages to accomplish these things (running or passing) is completely and totally irrelevant." ...

while i might agree with the gist of this, it is not totally irrelevant. if you have a team, much like the Bills last year, that is based upon the ground game and their passing game is not really up to snuf, then when they get behind and have to play catch up, it becomes very relevant. when teams are behind, they rely moreso on their passing game to quickly catch up. same applies if you are losing and there are only 2 minutes remaining in the game. at that point, it becomes imperative that your passing game can flourish.

Foxx, i feel to win football games over the season long, you must be able to do both. different teams bring different defenses to the stadium.

Whatever combination works On Any Sunday, is swell with me

How they do that is irrelevant

No one could have gotten more from an offense with Taylor at QB than Roman & Lynn did, IMO. There's only one way to go now.