Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

Of course they're independent events but you are the one comparing them. You brought up Sammy but are comparing him to signing a team. Which to me are not necessarily fair to compare.

The comparison is not Sammy versus Maclin. It's Maclin versus Barnidge. If Sammy never missed a game in his career, Maclin would have less value to the Bills. This is indisputable.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they're independent events but you are the one comparing them. You brought up Sammy but are comparing him to signing a team. Which to me are not necessarily fair to compare.

Can you really be sure? We played KC a bunch of times and maybe some of Sammy's injury prone-ness rubbed off on Maclin.

They are considering it because the offense has a chance to be elite. They were 7th in points through 16 weeks and could be trading Mills, Woods & Goodwin for Dawkins, Maclin and Zay Jones. That is a great exchange!! The new scheme will certainly play a role but if the Bills are a top 5 scoring offense, with the Ryan brothers away from the defense and a new kicker, we shouldn't expect regression.

im starting to buy into that line of thinking, even though I Told myself not to fall for the offseason optimism for once...

How about the Bills getting a QB before spending money on a WR who will be past his prime in a couple years?

Let's face it - the likelihood of Tyrod Taylor being a Bill after this season is very slim.

The likelihood of this team being competitive in 2017 or 2018 is very slim.

So why should/would they invest money in a WR? Not only invest ... but overpay?

If this team was a WR away from being contenders, I'd get it. This team is A LOT more than just a WR away.

I think this is a stupid idea.

Sounds a lot like a partial tank philosophy to me. Let us not try to be a competitive team again for the 2017 and 2018 seasons, let us just pretend we are trying to be competitive for 20 straight years. I at least want to be able to pretend we are trying to be competitive, even if we are not. Adding Maclin makes it easier for me to pretend and not feel so much like a fool while I'm do it.

Maclin would be an unexpected off season gift for sure.

Would turn a possible weakness into a strength quickly and allow the young WRs to get experience learn and make a bigger impact as the season moves on IMO

F5 F5 F5 f5

im starting to buy into that line of thinking, even though I Told myself not to fall for the offseason optimism for once...

I'm the same way. Earlier in the offseason I thought the Bills were a 5-6 win team. Since the draft, if they add Maclin or Barnidge, they will have potentially added 5 starters & a 2018 1st (White, Jones, Dawkins, Maclin, and Hodges). It's pretty rare to add THAT much at that point of the offseason. That makes your depth better as well. All of a sudden your LB depth is good, your WR depth is good and your OL depth is there. It's not crazy to think that they can be a 10 win team (at all).

Not sure what spending money on a WR has to do with the Bills getting a QB?

They aren't going to get one via FA so money/salary cap is a non issue.

Plus, if someone is convinced Taylor will fail, having a decked out WR stable only serves to place the blame on him should the passing attack not take the next step forward.

Then we go into next year with Watkins (hopefully), Maclin, and Jones, as well as two first round picks to use to get the QB, who will then come into a situation with several reliable targets.

Not sure what spending money on a WR has to do with the Bills getting a QB?

They aren't going to get one via FA so money/salary cap is a non issue.

Sounds to me like they are saying this: we won't be true contenders until we get a great qb. Maclin will be underutilized because we have TT, but he will make our team marginally better, but not good enough to contend for anything. So in essence, all Maclin does is allow us to draft 4-10 picks later and possibly miss out on drafting that QB next year, even though we have 2 1st rd picks. If landing the top qb in next years draft is our priority, then adding Maclin is senseless.

Makes sense if all you care about is landing that qb next year. Not my ideal philosophy but I understand why some people feel that way

Plus, if someone is convinced Taylor will fail, having a decked out WR stable only serves to place the blame on him should the passing attack not take the next step forward.

Then we go into next year with Watkins (hopefully), Maclin, and Jones, as well as two first round picks to use to get the QB, who will then come into a situation with several reliable targets.

He's had great receivers for the two years he's been starting. He's also had one of the best running backs in football.

If Maclin were younger, I'd be all for this - with the belief that we'll have a new QB next year via the draft. Even if it's via FA, I'm confident that McBeano will upgrade at QB next year. I just think we're a couple seasons from being a legitimately good football team. And Maclin will be at the end of his career by then.

I think Taylors going to have a big year in this system. Now I'm not really big on Maclin but I do think he can contribute as long as he's healthy.

If a Ryan coached team can be 7th in scoring then we as fans should expect better from a real coaching staff, adding letting the defense play to their strength (4-3) and playing with more discipline this team is a lot better than 8-8.

For threads like these, I wish there were a way to skip ahead to the posts that contain actual links/updates. I hate having to wade through the Tyrod debate in order to find actual news.

I'm not sure what's more relevant to the topic at hand. He's our starting QB and we're talking about possibly signing a WR.

Maybe you can open a tab with nfl.com and F5 every 15 minutes.

I am all for bringing in talent.

We have the cap room easily.

We need proven NFL WRs and especially those with starting experience and a successful resume. The young heads will listen.

We have a very talented offense - all feelings for TT aside.

I am hoping like hell we can make this happen. 2 year deal, even a 1 year prove it deal is fine, just roster this guy!

I'm not sure what's more relevant to the topic at hand. He's our starting QB and we're talking about possibly signing a WR.

Maybe you can open a tab with nfl.com and F5 every 15 minutes.

I'm talking about a feature that would let you jump to posts with links in them. Maybe you an assume that we all know your tired position on Tyrod and none of us ever want to hear it again.

I'm talking about a feature that would let you jump to posts with links in them. Maybe you an assume that we all know your tired position on Tyrod and none of us ever want to hear it again.

I would never assume that. Are you nuts? They have a feature for that, by the way.

He's had great receivers for the two years he's been starting. He's also had one of the best running backs in football.

Health of the WRs has been a big issue the last two years, which is still a concern that Maclin doesn't resolve. But adding depth doesn't hurt.

Edited by Carey Bender