Rumor- Bills will entertain trade offers for Watkins?

I agree that some of those can't be answered.

All I can say is that he was able to handle No. 1 WR targets for the final 9 games of 2015, so I would guess that yes, he can do so when he's healthy.

I don't care at all about his social media blow-up; he's a kid. I would hope, however, that he's not messing around with activities that the team docs are against.

In his 9 games of getting targeted like a 1 he shined but he also wore his foot down and led to the stress fracture if we are to believe the timeline that we were given for the injury.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Watkins is a tremendous talent, but there is no denying that he has had trouble staying healthy. And it is not just one type of injury as he has suffered from a bunch of different ailments. Some he has been able to play thru while others he has not. But when fully healthy, he is elite.

Beane/MC must (A) Determine whether Watkins can stay healthy. This is difficult but they will need to rely on medical opinions and talk to a variety of persons before they make an educated guess on what the future will hold and (B) Even if you believe Watkins can stay healthy, what percentage of the cap is a #1 elite wr worth. Watkins has 1 year left on his deal before he will want to be paid like a #1. If he has a very good year then the Bills may be looking at paying Watkins 16-18 million per year for a long term deal (Similar to what Beckham wants). Even the franchise tag will cost the Bills about 16m for a year. That is big $ for any wr. What the Bills decision makers will have to determine is do they want to allot that kind of $ for a wr. Or do they believe the $ should be spent elsewhere on the defensive and offensive lines. Their philosophy will determine what they decide to do.

This is not an easy decision to make. I really like Watkins as a player but trading him now may not be a bad move depending on what the return would be. Because if the Bills will be unwilling to pay him 16-18m per year they may be better off getting assets for him now rather than letting him walk and hoping for a comp. pick.

• 2 months later...

Let's keep this discussion going, knowing what we now know.

Well if I'm honest, I think they should have picked up his option or traded him before the decision expired.

Have to think Watkins with 2 years on his deal is worth more than Watkins with 1. You get elite talent on the cheap for 2 years.

Well if I'm honest, I think they should have picked up his option or traded him before the decision expired.

Have to think Watkins with 2 years on his deal is worth more than Watkins with 1. You get elite talent on the cheap for 2 years.

That seems like quite a mistake. They must not have thought they were going to trade him at the time, but you have to have that foresight right?

There is a difference between them - There were zero questions about Lynch & Peters dedication. Both got screwed by Bills in contract or playing roles. Sammy's issue has been immaturity (confirmed by Tyrod), but also his dedication to the team in the offseason. Playing pick up hoops on a twice surgically repaired foot, before you're medically cleared by the team, is a sure sign that he can't be 100% reliable

That's a pretty flippant way to use the term "immature" what exactly is OBJ then?

BarelyNY called this in early May "Now that the Bills decision to decline his option has had some time to sink in I hope people understand that this isn't some motivating tactic, it's the first step in parting ways after the season. It's a shame, but it is what it is." I also think this is what was motivating us to sign Maclin at a mid range #2 contract and let him be our number 1.

That's a pretty flippant way to use the term "immature" what exactly is OBJ then?

Ask Tyrod then, since he's the one who brought up Sammy's new found dedication and maturity.

Edited by GG