Offered a new job...Looking for your advice/opinions

How big of a company? If your manager is buddies with CEO I would guess small and no way to transfer.

Before I'd take the other job I'd look at conditions job changes from temp (assuming this comes with benefits) to perm. Companies can layoff "permanent" works. Had offer in Toronto once but I never looked more deeply into it but labor rules may make a difference there. Are you eligible for government aid if temp-to-perm job lays you off? How does changing medical benefits affect you especially with wife just coming off maternity leave. [i was laid off once and took a new job but new job did not cover my wife's pregnancy since it was a pre-existing condition, a condition I did not know about before I took new job]

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would consider this, if you dont go permanent at the next job youll be looking at your third job in a matter of 10 or 11 months. Probably not a great look to have three job changes in less than a year.

Does your current job give out a bonus every year? Do you get one at your new place? 15k a year more is a great chunk, but you will also be spending a little over a thousand dollars a year on gas with that drive.

Leaving for a new job isnt going to erase awful people, they will just have a different face at the new job. Offices are shady places.

I ran a regional center for our company. This January i moved to an executive suite solo and pretty much report to no one and have no one reporting to me. I liked that situation until I read your post. Now I love it!! There is nothing like being on your own. I hate company politics. And the smilie post it?? Did you have a case of the Mondays?? WTF??

I should also clear up that in addition to the smiley face there was a note that said "Smile today is a new day"

"And it's gone to hell in a handbasket right quick because I'm reading a mother!@#$ing smiley-face post-it!!!!"

Sleep with the new manager, and her friend if you can. Then put in your notice and when they ask why tell them "you suck in bed"

lol

What kind of work is it a that you do?

Insurance?

HR?

Accounting?

CBF... you want to be able to see your kids soccer game 47 miles isn't that far. But what is a problem is being a temp and asking for that flexibility as that will be a issue if they are dicks about it. Not to add more to thought but you have to consider benefits (I know health ins isn't a issue in Canada) but other time off, retirement etc. Good luck!

PS--- if its accounting as MEAD asked send me your resume, you can move from near Elmira Ontario to Elmira NY. Your wife will never know the diff. 0:)

I think I'm going to be the outlier here, but I would stay. Starting March 1st you haven't given this job enough time to really settle in.

Do you know that this is / is not the job for you long term or are you just chasing dollars?

This, especially since a contract to perm role could evaporate for a whole bunch of reasons and then you're looking for your 4th job in less than two years.

Its odd. It was like she was my biggest fan when I was hired and then when she was promoted she said shes grooming me to take over for her when she retires in a few years.

Then, I had 3 days off about a month after I started that was approved by the old manager. It was so I could spend the last few days of my wifes MAT leave with her and the kids and I explained this to her as soon as she was promoted.

She said it was ok just bad timing.

Well, when I came back the next week it was a complete 180. She was very cold and short and made it seem like I was bugging her whenever I had questions. She also, always whispers to the girl who works with me in my department in front of me.

However, this week things have seemed to go back to normal. Maybe she feels like somethings up with me.

She left me a smiley face post it on my desk yesterday morning and asked me if I was ok today because I had a worried look on my face. so I don't know

CBF

That not odd, that's just her being a chick.

LOL

I should also clear up that in addition to the smiley face there was a note that said "Smile today is a new day"

She wants to bang without a condom.

I started my job as a contractor 17 years ago and got hired after 6 months. One of the greatest blessings of my life. I hope to retire there as a 35 year employee.

After a few years and after my divorce, I bought a house 1/2 mile away from work to make it easier as a single dad of two youngsters. Living within walking distance to work was a tremendous advantage. Unfortunately, my company moved from the local, smaller airport to the big airport....23 miles away, and the drive sucks! The move took approximately an hour to an hour and a half out of my day, every day, in commuting time, and quadrupled my monthly gasoline usage.

To drive 47 miles one way every day,to and from a city the size of Toronto sounds like hell. It would not be worth the 15k per year increase to me.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

CBF - I was laid off a few years back, too. I ended up taking a job that is about 55 miles from home. Average commute is an hour each way. Worst I've had has been 2.5 hours one way.

I can tell you that it my son was younger (he's going on 15 now), I probably would have regretted it. I do have flexibility, so I don't miss any of his events. However, it's not easy.

From everything you've written, if it was me, I'd stay put. If you still want out, at least they can pay you while you search for something with a shorter commute.

The first thing Tom said is the truest - it's a decision that only you can make.

Hey everyone,

Sorry for starting a thread like this but I am really torn. I have been at my current job since March 1st, 2017 and am about to be offered a new job.

Here are the details….

2 and a half weeks after I started this job, the manager who interviewed me and hired me got fired. They say the reason was she wasn’t open to changes the company wanted to make. Fair enough.

Well, the girl I was hired to replace was promoted to the managers role even though she has little experience as a manager and was only here for 6 months before being promoted.

What troubled me is that the new manager told me they had this all planned since before I was even hired and that she had a hand in me being hired. She would meet secretly with the CEO and look over my answers from my interview. She told me that when she resigned, she stated the manager was her reason why so the CEO pretty much told her they will let her go and promote her if she stays.

She is very on and off with me. I know shes stressed about her new title but there are still things I don’t know and I feel like sometimes she alienates me and is buddy buddy with the other girl in my department.

Anyways, I applied for a job last week and just had my 2nd interview and here are the details…

I found out that I am being hired through a staffing agency and the position Im being hired for is in my field and was told I will be an excellent fit. The catch is, its an 8 month contract to permanent they call it. Meaning as long as I do well, they hire me after 8 months or even before. Its an open position so its not like Im covering for a maternity leave or anything.

The job pays an extra $15K a year more than I am making now but is 47 miles (yes I did the conversion for you all) away where the job Im at now is only 19.

For those who remember, I was laid off from my old office job back in September and it was an awful experience. I guess Im just scared about taking a job on a contract with the opportunity to be hired.

I have 2 small kids at home so that also goes into my decision. How much will I miss? Like my daughters soccer games this summer etc..

I know in the end Im the only one who can make this decision but I value what you all say and would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks everyone

CBF

oh wait your in Canada. so do I need to ask , do you still get health benefits on a contract job? Do you get paid Holidays and personal time? A big decider in the states; does the contract $ offset health insurance and loss of PTO.

9 miles = 20 minutes. 47 = an hour plus commute. 200 minutes (3.3 hours) vs 470 minutes (8 hours).

Is that extra 5 hours a week (260 hours / yr 2 wk holiday) worth it?

most important

Can you post to TBD at the new job? :lol:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Take the second job. You can spend the extra commuting time convincing yourself that your current crazy, inexperienced manager was going to be a disaster.

Keep applying for an alternative closer to home. If you get interviews, call Job #2 a "bridge job" to get you to a permanent position (sort of like the Bills' QB situation). If you love Job #2 then there's no need to keep looking.

lol

What kind of work is it a that you do?

Insurance?

HR?

Accounting?

Finance/ Accounts Receivables

That Toronto traffic is horrendous. To me, a top-2 consideration is commute time. 47 miles in heavy traffic has got to have 1.5 hour each way potential? If so, forget that.

Hey buddy, you are bang on.

With traffic it would be about a 90 minute commute home with rush hour

CBF - I was laid off a few years back, too. I ended up taking a job that is about 55 miles from home. Average commute is an hour each way. Worst I've had has been 2.5 hours one way.

I can tell you that it my son was younger (he's going on 15 now), I probably would have regretted it. I do have flexibility, so I don't miss any of his events. However, it's not easy.

From everything you've written, if it was me, I'd stay put. If you still want out, at least they can pay you while you search for something with a shorter commute.

The first thing Tom said is the truest - it's a decision that only you can make.

Thanks Gug. I really value your opinion.

I think I am leaning towards staying put

oh wait your in Canada. so do I need to ask , do you still get health benefits on a contract job? Do you get paid Holidays and personal time? A big decider in the states; does the contract $ offset health insurance and loss of PTO.

9 miles = 20 minutes. 47 = an hour plus commute. 200 minutes (3.3 hours) vs 470 minutes (8 hours).

Is that extra 5 hours a week (260 hours / yr 2 wk holiday) worth it?

most important

Can you post to TBD at the new job? :lol:

Don't think I haven't thought about that!!!

What job has more room for growth?

I would assume the one Im currently at as the Credit Manager here said I will be taking over for her when she retires in less than 5 years

CBF

Its odd. It was like she was my biggest fan when I was hired and then when she was promoted she said shes grooming me to take over for her when she retires in a few years.

Then, I had 3 days off about a month after I started that was approved by the old manager. It was so I could spend the last few days of my wifes MAT leave with her and the kids and I explained this to her as soon as she was promoted.

She said it was ok just bad timing.

Well, when I came back the next week it was a complete 180. She was very cold and short and made it seem like I was bugging her whenever I had questions. She also, always whispers to the girl who works with me in my department in front of me.

However, this week things have seemed to go back to normal. Maybe she feels like somethings up with me.

She left me a smiley face post it on my desk yesterday morning and asked me if I was ok today because I had a worried look on my face. so I don't know

CBF

I don't have a feel whether you like working at your current place of employment? Whenever you are a new employee there is a period of adjustment to the environment, people and predictable staffing changes. At your prospective new place of employment you will also face the same type of issues related to people and their challenging personalities.

You noted that the commuting distance has increased. The distance isn't so much of a problem as the traffic and time it takes to commute. How much will it cut into your family and personal time? Will it over time wear you down?

Ultimately you are making the decision. Your job and everything associated with it have to be balanced out with what you want to do with your off time and your values. Ask yourself in five years where do I want to be? Here or there? Good luck.

I don't have a feel whether you like working at your current place of employment? Whenever you are a new employee there is a period of adjustment to the environment, people and predictable staffing changes. At your prospective new place of employment you will also face the same type of issues related to people and their challenging personalities.

You noted that the commuting distance has increased. The distance isn't so much of a problem as the traffic and time it takes to commute. How much will it cut into your family and personal time? Will it over time wear you down?

Ultimately you are making the decision. Your job and everything associated with it have to be balanced out with what you want to do with your off time and your values. Ask yourself in five years where do I want to be? Here or there? Good luck.

Thank you. I really like the job Im doing now and its close to home. (30 mins door to door) Its just the issues I had with my manager. Maybe she can tell somethings up with me because all this week she has been normal.

I think if I took this new job I would miss a lot of my 4 year old daughters soccer games. May not seem that important to some but its her first year in sports and I want to be that father that never misses anything she has going on whether that be school plays, sports etc....

CBF