Offered a new job...Looking for your advice/opinions

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably stay but wouldn't consider the choice obvious.

Also, don't act like the woman of the office in an office full of women. If they don't cheerlead you for a couple days don't get down and likewise don't get to high on silly praise on post it notes. Keep your boss happy and all but think long arc instead of daily evaluation of that.

Thank you. I really like the job Im doing now and its close to home. (30 mins door to door) Its just the issues I had with my manager. Maybe she can tell somethings up with me because all this week she has been normal.

I think if I took this new job I would miss a lot of my 4 year old daughters soccer games. May not seem that important to some but its her first year in sports and I want to be that father that never misses anything she has going on whether that be school plays, sports etc....

CBF

First I want to make clear that I'm not advising you one way or another. I'm just pointing out things you should consider. The issues you are having with a particular boss are simply part of the work world no matter where you work. Work associates come and go as do bosses. There is much more staffing movement now than there was years ago. It's an inescapable part of the work environment regardless where you work. Leaving one scene with its individual challenges doesn't mean that you are escaping to a more idyllic scene. As you well know work places are not static, they change and then change again.

With respect to the onerous commute that the new change has let me point out that it usually doesn't get better, it typically gets worse. The $15,000 increase in pay might be the amount of money that covers the wear and tear on your car.

You seem to be a wonderful and devoted family man. Whatever time you don't spend with your children is time you will never get back. The extra money you get from your new job means little to your daughter as opposed to watching her play soccer and then going for a victory pizza.

Again, I don't want you to think that I am recommending a position to you. Because I am not. If you look at this issue as something more than a job issue and look at it as how it impacts your family then you will better be able to make a decision. This job issue is much more than a salary issue. It has a lot to do with values and family.

When all is said and done you can simply reduce the issue to what will make you and your family more happy? Good luck!

First I want to make clear that I'm not advising you one way or another. I'm just pointing out things you should consider. The issues you are having with a particular boss are simply part of the work world no matter where you work. Work associates come and go as do bosses. There is much more staffing movement now than there was years ago. It's an inescapable part of the work environment regardless where you work. Leaving one scene with its individual challenges doesn't mean that you are escaping to a more idyllic scene. As you well know work places are not static, they change and then change again.

With respect to the onerous commute that the new change has let me point out that it usually doesn't get better, it typically gets worse. The $15,000 increase in pay might be the amount of money that covers the wear and tear on your car.

You seem to be a wonderful and devoted family man. Whatever time you don't spend with your children is time you will never get back. The extra money you get from your new job means little to your daughter as opposed to watching her play soccer and then going for a victory pizza.

Again, I don't want you to think that I am recommending a position to you. Because I am not. If you look at this issue as something more than a job issue and look at it as how it impacts your family then you will better be able to make a decision. This job issue is much more than a salary issue. It has a lot to do with values and family.

When all is said and done you can simply reduce the issue to what will make you and your family more happy? Good luck!

Thanks so much John.

I think in the end, I cant justify missing family time

CBF

Thank you. I really like the job Im doing now and its close to home. (30 mins door to door) Its just the issues I had with my manager. Maybe she can tell somethings up with me because all this week she has been normal.

I think if I took this new job I would miss a lot of my 4 year old daughters soccer games. May not seem that important to some but its her first year in sports and I want to be that father that never misses anything she has going on whether that be school plays, sports etc....

CBF

Glad to see you have your priorities straight. As long as you don't feel you are in imminent danger at the current place, I'd stay. You like the job, there is the potential for advancement, it's close to home, and you don't want to build a resume that looks like a job hopper. There's nothing that says you can't keep your eyes open for a more ideal option closer to home. I wouldn't want to take a job where I regretted a major aspect of my life beginning on day one. The $15k is a pre-tax number. The cost of the commute is an after tax number. Do the math and the gap narrows significantly. Sounds like the right thing for YOU is emerging in your mind. That's all that counts. Either way, it's nice to have options! Good luck, and enjoy your family!

What are the specifics of your current and proposed commute in the GTA???

I live "mid-town" and Lakeshore is basically empty once the safety valve of the Gardiner opens at 9am heading eastbound, 25 minutes to Bay Street most days.

Driving home is 20 to 70 minutes via Lakeshore or the Gardiner or any of the 6 or so main street arteries.

Edited by row_33

What are the specifics of your current and proposed commute in the GTA???

I live "mid-town" and Lakeshore is basically empty once the safety valve of the Gardiner opens at 9am heading eastbound, 25 minutes to Bay Street most days.

Driving home is 20 to 70 minutes via Lakeshore or the Gardiner or any of the 6 or so main street arteries.

I live about 20-30 mins south of Hamilton on your way to Port Dover.

I would be taking the 403 and QEW East and then Westbound coming home

CBF

I live about 20-30 mins south of Hamilton on your way to Port Dover.

I would be taking the 403 and QEW East and then Westbound coming home

CBF

For a few years in the 90s I drove every day from Brantford to 401/Burnhampthorpe....

Ha! I work in Brantford at the moment.

I live in Hagersville

CBF

You work in Brantford?

I was in high school when Masseys/Whites went under.

There were not many opportunities in that place at the time...

Stay put. Let them know others are trying to hire you and get a raise. Problem solved!

I would add you will NEVER regret giving up money to be able to spend time with your kids.

Edited by The Tomcat

Don't you mean "men?"

Don't forget ... you have the TBD record for man-crushes.

Seriously...I thought I was the only one who got the cute pink emoji from CBF ?!? Edited by CowgirlsFan

That must have been a long time ago.

For me, I knew a lot of people who worked at NCO the call centre there

CBF

I'd guess it hit around 1983 or 84, pensions and nice jobs for life disappeared overnight basically. Those in the numbers department got transfers to Toronto a year or so before it totally blew up on the home town...