Offered a new job...Looking for your advice/opinions

OK its booked.

Interview Tuesday at 1PM

CBF

You need to prepare how to respond to the question of the circumstances of your departure from your last job. This is a delicate and complex issue. You need to be truthful but also provide a good explanation that doesn't put you in a bad light. On the other hand if you come off too critical of the other parties and too harshly blame your former supervisors you might come off as not willing to accept some responsibility for what happened.

In a very diplomatic manner you might want to stress the point that it wasn't a right fit for you and a good mix with the personnel. Again, you don't want to come off as being too caustic and critical.

People who interview prospective employees and do the hiring recognize the variety of reasons why people leave their current jobs. You need to be very professional and point out that not only that you left the other job but stress how you can make a contribution to the job you are seeking. The more positive you are and the more you show how your talents can be exploited for the benefit of the new company the better chance you will have in getting the job. The focus should not be on the past rather than the future for you and the employer.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew that.

Oops, sorry...wrong thread.

hahaha

You need to prepare how to respond to the question of the circumstances of your departure from your last job. This is a delicate and complex issue. You need to be truthful but also provide a good explanation that doesn't put you in a bad light. On the other hand if you come off too critical of the other parties and too harshly blame your former supervisors you might come off as not willing to accept some responsibility for what happened.

In a very diplomatic manner you might want to stress the point that it wasn't a right fit for you and a good mix with the personnel. Again, you don't want to come off as being too caustic and critical.

People who interview prospective employees and do the hiring recognize the variety of reasons why people leave their current jobs. You need to be very professional and point out that not only that you left the other job but stress how you can make a contribution to the job you are seeking. The more positive you are and the more you show how your talents can be exploited for the benefit of the new company the better chance you will have in getting the job. The focus should not be on the past rather than the future for you and the employer.

I already answered that question when I had the phone interview with the manager last week.

Meeting him for a face to face now

CBF

Best wishes for tomorrow!

Thank you so much.

Interview went well and the manager said he loves the both of us (the other person he is interviewing) and said he hates to lose one of us.

The catch is, if I get the job I have to be in Calgary on Tuesday for training.

He said I would have to pay out of pocket then be reimbursed but I don't think I have enough to cover air fair and the week of hotels so we will see what happens.

He told me that if I couldn't make it work they would try and come up with an alternative solution

CBF

Thank you so much.

Interview went well and the manager said he loves the both of us (the other person he is interviewing) and said he hates to lose one of us.

The catch is, if I get the job I have to be in Calgary on Tuesday for training.

He said I would have to pay out of pocket then be reimbursed but I don't think I have enough to cover air fair and the week of hotels so we will see what happens.

He told me that if I couldn't make it work they would try and come up with an alternative solution

CBF

The arrangement of reimbursement instead of paying for the cost of training and travel is troubling. It is a second-rate way of doing business. Is this an established company or a small niche outfit that mostly contracts out its services?

The arrangement of reimbursement instead of paying for the cost of training and travel is troubling. It is a second-rate way of doing business. Is this an established company or a small niche outfit that mostly contracts out its services?

They are a good sized company but he explained to me that they don't have a corporate account

CBF

They are a good sized company but he explained to me that they don't have a corporate account

CBF

What does they don't have a corporate account mean? If they are a good sized company training new staff and in-house programs are part of running a business. Companies handle their business in different ways. It seems to me that reimbursing after the fact instead of paying for costs puts an undue burden on the new employee who may not be in the best position to pay out of pocket. In a job setting circumstances are not always optimal. You just have to do what you have to do to get by this hurdle.

What does they don't have a corporate account mean? If they are a good sized company training new staff and in-house programs are part of running a business. Companies handle their business in different ways. It seems to me that reimbursing after the fact instead of paying for costs puts an undue burden on the new employee who may not be in the best position to pay out of pocket. In a job setting circumstances are not always optimal. You just have to do what you have to do to get by this hurdle.

I agree.

He did say that if I couldn't afford it, they would figure something out.

Besides, I'm getting ahead of myself. I haven't even found out if I got the job yet

CBF

I agree.

He did say that if I couldn't afford it, they would figure something out.

Besides, I'm getting ahead of myself. I haven't even found out if I got the job yet

CBF

Good luck!

Definitely seems a little odd. The company I work for isn't huge or anything but when we hire on new people we certainly pay for everything like that. It's not particularly difficult to get someone set up with a flight and hotel room. Even if you can afford it, I'd find a way to make them pay for it. Maybe that's just the way they do things but I'd protect myself just in case.

Definitely seems a little odd. The company I work for isn't huge or anything but when we hire on new people we certainly pay for everything like that. It's not particularly difficult to get someone set up with a flight and hotel room. Even if you can afford it, I'd find a way to make them pay for it. Maybe that's just the way they do things but I'd protect myself just in case.

Easier to track as a reimbursement to the employee. Don't need to find someone to play travel agent.

It's not ideal for the individual, but hardly unusual.

In a pinch they'll probably give you a travel advance or the manager will charge it on his own card but obviously no one wants to make those standard policy.

Edited by KD in CA

Easier to track as a reimbursement to the employee. Don't need to find someone to play travel agent.

It's not ideal for the individual, but hardly unusual.

In a pinch they'll probably give you a travel advance or the manager will charge it on his own card but obviously no one wants to make those standard policy.

The problem I have with the approach you describe is: who is making the logistical arrangements? If the company is not making the hotel and flight arrangements then there can be a significant price differential between the prices for lodging and transportation that the employee is making vs if the company makes the arrangement. If the company is going to reimburse then instead of paying after the employee is billed why not put the billing on their own account and then pay it?

Companies have different policies. It just seems that it is simpler for them to handle the arrangements and then pay for it. As a cautionary tale my nephew went to work for a food distributing company where traveling to food conventions was part of the job. He was told to put his travel and hotel expenses on his credit card and that he would be reimbursed. I told him soon after he started the job that the arrangement didn't sound right. As it turned out it was a tug of war to get paid. He quickly quit the hustle.

It's not unusual to ask people to take on the expense and reimburse, at least from my years in the corporate life in Canada...

I know, I know....

When it's happened reimbursement was immediate, not 90 days after filing...

It's not unusual to ask people to take on the expense and reimburse, at least from my years in the corporate life in Canada...

I know, I know....

When it's happened reimbursement was immediate, not 90 days after filing...

If it is an immediate reimbursement then this company's approach is not unreasonable. Canadian Bill can put the expenses on a credit card and then quickly pay the bill. I'm sure this company can work out a satisfactory arrangement with him, assuming he gets the job. If the company doesn't hire him they will be losing out on a good employee.

Ok so just got a call and he said he wants to present me with a job offer letter but it wouldn't be until after I pass a credit and criminal background check

CBF

:thumbsup: Congrats ...now for the matter of those felonies....how do explain them???

If it is an immediate reimbursement then this company's approach is not unreasonable. Canadian Bill can put the expenses on a credit card and then quickly pay the bill. I'm sure this company can work out a satisfactory arrangement with him, assuming he gets the job. If the company doesn't hire him they will be losing out on a good employee.

For one assignment in the US, an accounting partner sluffed me off with "bill it and submit with expense report" while another saw this could take weeks, so he arranged for $3,000 US put immediately on my credit card every 2 weeks for expenses, it was sorted out fine when I returned after a few months.