Offered a new job...Looking for your advice/opinions

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so just got a call and he said he wants to present me with a job offer letter but it wouldn't be until after I pass a credit and criminal background check

CBF

Congratulations! For those outstanding felony warrants with your name on them just say that you are being mistaken for Jeffismagic, who is now in the brig. :bag:

If this is reimbursement policy then ask for a salary advance - it gives you the money up front and then you just need to be very careful about allowed expenses, caps, etc and make sure you keep all receipts.

Did some work in Canada and I took bus to work and after trip company refused to reimburse. Next trip one of cap drivers was surprised I took cab to work rather than bus since bus was faster due to express bus lanes. He then gave me a stack of receipt cards and told me save money for his cab when I had longer trips and just use taxi receipt cards in replacement for bus trips. Company did not even flinch even when most of receipts came from same cab company.

Ok so just got a call and he said he wants to present me with a job offer letter but it wouldn't be until after I pass a credit and criminal background check

CBF

Pleased with the progress.

What's the timetable on the criminal background check?

The problem I have with the approach you describe is: who is making the logistical arrangements? If the company is not making the hotel and flight arrangements then there can be a significant price differential between the prices for lodging and transportation that the employee is making vs if the company makes the arrangement. If the company is going to reimburse then instead of paying after the employee is billed why not put the billing on their own account and then pay it?

Companies have different policies. It just seems that it is simpler for them to handle the arrangements and then pay for it. As a cautionary tale my nephew went to work for a food distributing company where traveling to food conventions was part of the job. He was told to put his travel and hotel expenses on his credit card and that he would be reimbursed. I told him soon after he started the job that the arrangement didn't sound right. As it turned out it was a tug of war to get paid. He quickly quit the hustle.

If it's an employee, you give them the T&E policy which says what they can spend.

If it's an interview candidate, only an idiot would not be frugal with the travel costs.

You can make it easier on employees who travel frequently with corporate cards or company-billed accounts for big ticket items like air and hotel.

I'm sure it's still cost efficient for certain huge organizations, but the widespread practice of makings travel arrangements for dozens (or hundreds) of employees was left behind when the web came along.

Plenty of shady companies around, but nothing shady in this generation about leaving responsibility for travel in the hands of the traveler.

The problem I have with the approach you describe is: who is making the logistical arrangements? If the company is not making the hotel and flight arrangements then there can be a significant price differential between the prices for lodging and transportation that the employee is making vs if the company makes the arrangement. If the company is going to reimburse then instead of paying after the employee is billed why not put the billing on their own account and then pay it?

Companies have different policies. It just seems that it is simpler for them to handle the arrangements and then pay for it. As a cautionary tale my nephew went to work for a food distributing company where traveling to food conventions was part of the job. He was told to put his travel and hotel expenses on his credit card and that he would be reimbursed. I told him soon after he started the job that the arrangement didn't sound right. As it turned out it was a tug of war to get paid. He quickly quit the hustle.

Good to see the food industry hasn't stopped treating it's employees like ****.

If it's an employee, you give them the T&E policy which says what they can spend.

If it's an interview candidate, only an idiot would not be frugal with the travel costs.

You can make it easier on employees who travel frequently with corporate cards or company-billed accounts for big ticket items like air and hotel.

I'm sure it's still cost efficient for certain huge organizations, but the widespread practice of makings travel arrangements for dozens (or hundreds) of employees was left behind when the web came along.

Plenty of shady companies around, but nothing shady in this generation about leaving responsibility for travel in the hands of the traveler.

Nothing shady about the principle. But in practice, I've seen plenty of companies who use the "pay expenses out of your own pocket and we'll reimburse you later" idea as a dodge to pad the balance sheet.

My wife just went through that with an employer...$48k/year, and she's expected to buy breakfast for the weekly office meeting to the order of $200 - a fifth of her gross pay - "and we'll reimburse you later." I actually stepped in to that argument (since it's a significant impact to the household budget) and told them the only way that would happen is if we got her a dedicated credit card for it and they paid any interest charges.

Nothing shady about the principle. But in practice, I've seen plenty of companies who use the "pay expenses out of your own pocket and we'll reimburse you later" idea as a dodge to pad the balance sheet.

My wife just went through that with an employer...$48k/year, and she's expected to buy breakfast for the weekly office meeting to the order of $200 - a fifth of her gross pay - "and we'll reimburse you later." I actually stepped in to that argument (since it's a significant impact to the household budget) and told them the only way that would happen is if we got her a dedicated credit card for it and they paid any interest charges.

Some places do not have credit cards, or do not want to run up expenses. As long as you are reimbursed in a very timely fashion it is fine, or aren't expected to rack up..... I'd say $10,000 is the limit unless agreed to.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

To answer the question...I guess I am chasing dollars but also how much I trust my new manager comes into play.

If they were so sneaky with my last manager, who knows what else they could be capable of.

My wife just returned back to work from Mat leave.

CBF

That's the real question. She seems flaky and back dooring... be careful with these.

Everything is supposed to come back today and I should know by the end of today if not sooner

CBF

Just catching up. Good luck, whatever happens.

I just have to say I'm shocked at all the comments like "working for a woman sucks" and those of that nature. Seriously?

EVOLVE!

Some of my best, and worst bosses have been women. Actually I find working for most anyone sucks, if they aren't particularly bright, or a good manager. Their genitals play a very minor part.

Just catching up. Good luck, whatever happens.

I just have to say I'm shocked at all the comments like "working for a woman sucks" and those of that nature. Seriously?

EVOLVE!

Some of my best, and worst bosses have been women. Actually I find working for most anyone sucks, if they aren't particularly bright, or a good manager. Their genitals play a very minor part.

Just to be sure you are clear in your position, maybe you should march into your bosses office tomorrow morning and announce "I am almost completely indifferent to your genitals!" That should work in your favor by removing any doubts. :)

My wife manages a good size team of people, many of whom are very high earners. I am often told how great she is, which always makes me wonder what they say behind her back. Some have actually doubled their income since her arrival a few years ago (it's a sales team), so I think she may have some real supporters. But I'm sure there are a few others......

Just to be sure you are clear in your position, maybe you should march into your bosses office tomorrow morning and announce "I am almost completely indifferent to your genitals!" That should work in your favor by removing any doubts. :)

My wife manages a good size team of people, many of whom are very high earners. I am often told how great she is, which always makes me wonder what they say behind her back. Some have actually doubled their income since her arrival a few years ago (it's a sales team), so I think she may have some real supporters. But I'm sure there are a few others......

Fortunately, if I marched into my bosses offices and announce what you suggest, my boss would laugh his ass off. Then again, my boss is now ME. There are many positives to being your own boss, as you can imagine. But I tell you, I'd never work this hard, for as little money as I make, for anyone else. The guy is a freaking slave driver!

Then again, I never have to lie to him, if I need a day off. And it's nice to not have to work for a complete idiot. ("Complete" being the operative word, here.)

Fortunately, if I marched into my bosses offices and announce what you suggest, my boss would laugh his ass off. Then again, my boss is now ME. There are many positives to being your own boss, as you can imagine. But I tell you, I'd never work this hard, for as little money as I make, for anyone else. The guy is a freaking slave driver!

Then again, I never have to lie to him, if I need a day off. And it's nice to not have to work for a complete idiot. ("Complete" being the operative word, here.)

You might want to quit, before he fires you!

Fortunately, if I marched into my bosses offices and announce what you suggest, my boss would laugh his ass off. Then again, my boss is now ME.

You're completely indifferent to your genitals?

Some places do not have credit cards, or do not want to run up expenses. As long as you are reimbursed in a very timely fashion it is fine, or aren't expected to rack up..... I'd say $10,000 is the limit unless agreed to.

Then they should manage expenses in such a way that they're not buying $200 breakfasts weekly. Requiring an employee to cover that with a fifth of their paycheck as a no-interest loan where the employee has no control over the terms of repayment is bull ****.

Sorry, but that is absurdly high in most walks of life. Even a few hundred can be high for a lot of people. If it happens routinely, the company should find a way to cover the expense. It's all relative to the position/compensation and the level of the expense. Small incidental expenses? Sure. Family budget line items? NEVER. That's just wrong.