Offered a new job...Looking for your advice/opinions

Hey everyone,

Sorry for starting a thread like this but I am really torn. I have been at my current job since March 1st, 2017 and am about to be offered a new job.

Here are the details….

2 and a half weeks after I started this job, the manager who interviewed me and hired me got fired. They say the reason was she wasn’t open to changes the company wanted to make. Fair enough.

Well, the girl I was hired to replace was promoted to the managers role even though she has little experience as a manager and was only here for 6 months before being promoted.

What troubled me is that the new manager told me they had this all planned since before I was even hired and that she had a hand in me being hired. She would meet secretly with the CEO and look over my answers from my interview. She told me that when she resigned, she stated the manager was her reason why so the CEO pretty much told her they will let her go and promote her if she stays.

She is very on and off with me. I know shes stressed about her new title but there are still things I don’t know and I feel like sometimes she alienates me and is buddy buddy with the other girl in my department.

Anyways, I applied for a job last week and just had my 2nd interview and here are the details…

I found out that I am being hired through a staffing agency and the position Im being hired for is in my field and was told I will be an excellent fit. The catch is, its an 8 month contract to permanent they call it. Meaning as long as I do well, they hire me after 8 months or even before. Its an open position so its not like Im covering for a maternity leave or anything.

The job pays an extra $15K a year more than I am making now but is 47 miles (yes I did the conversion for you all) away where the job Im at now is only 19.

For those who remember, I was laid off from my old office job back in September and it was an awful experience. I guess Im just scared about taking a job on a contract with the opportunity to be hired.

I have 2 small kids at home so that also goes into my decision. How much will I miss? Like my daughters soccer games this summer etc..

I know in the end Im the only one who can make this decision but I value what you all say and would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks everyone

CBF

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're worried about missing a lot of things, that kind of commute could hurt. I'm around 30 miles from my office and wind up away from the house for about 12 hours. That includes around an hour and a half at the gym and some bad traffic, so you could definitely trim down that number a bit. What kind of traffic would you expect?

If you're worried about missing a lot of things, that kind of commute could hurt. I'm around 30 miles from my office and wind up away from the house for about 12 hours. That includes around an hour and a half at the gym and some bad traffic, so you could definitely trim down that number a bit. What kind of traffic would you expect?

Heavy. It would be from everyone leaving Toronto going home

CBF

I think I'm going to be the outlier here, but I would stay. Starting March 1st you haven't given this job enough time to really settle in.

Do you know that this is / is not the job for you long term or are you just chasing dollars?

Lot of things to factor in that we don't know like if your wife works and how valuable the extra income will be.

You'll be making more money, but you'll also be spending a lot more on gas. There will also be more wear and tear on your car. If you work 5 days a week, that's an extra 280 miles a week.

Providing for your family is very important. Being there for them is just as important. Make whatever decision allows you to sleep easiest at night. Best wishes CBF!

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

To answer the question...I guess I am chasing dollars but also how much I trust my new manager comes into play.

If they were so sneaky with my last manager, who knows what else they could be capable of.

My wife just returned back to work from Mat leave.

CBF

You have to trust your gut. I know it is cliched but you have insight into this decision that we couldn't possibly begin to speak on.

That said here is my opinion based on the info provided:

I work in HR and came across an interesting slogan "the behavior you allow is the behavior you promote." It has resonated strongly with me. In this instance, your current job has some backhanded and sneaky things going on and I see why that would make you uneasy. Your manager clearly has the CEOs ear so any type of grievance you may have will likely fall on deaf ears. Further you applied for this new job for a reason. Did something happen last week that led to you applying for a new job? Or just a general uneasy feeling?

At the end of the day it's a very personal decision, but I wouldn't sweat the staffing agency angle. My significant other is a staffing manager so I've got to learn quite a bit about that business. It's in everyone's interest for you to work out so as long as you are a productive employee there won't be an issue.

Hey everyone,

Sorry for starting a thread like this but I am really torn. I have been at my current job since March 1st, 2017 and am about to be offered a new job.

Here are the details….

2 and a half weeks after I started this job, the manager who interviewed me and hired me got fired. They say the reason was she wasn’t open to changes the company wanted to make. Fair enough.

Well, the girl I was hired to replace was promoted to the managers role even though she has little experience as a manager and was only here for 6 months before being promoted.

What troubled me is that the new manager told me they had this all planned since before I was even hired and that she had a hand in me being hired. She would meet secretly with the CEO and look over my answers from my interview. She told me that when she resigned, she stated the manager was her reason why so the CEO pretty much told her they will let her go and promote her if she stays.

She is very on and off with me. I know shes stressed about her new title but there are still things I don’t know and I feel like sometimes she alienates me and is buddy buddy with the other girl in my department.

Anyways, I applied for a job last week and just had my 2nd interview and here are the details…

I found out that I am being hired through a staffing agency and the position Im being hired for is in my field and was told I will be an excellent fit. The catch is, its an 8 month contract to permanent they call it. Meaning as long as I do well, they hire me after 8 months or even before. Its an open position so its not like Im covering for a maternity leave or anything.

The job pays an extra $15K a year more than I am making now but is 47 miles (yes I did the conversion for you all) away where the job Im at now is only 19.

For those who remember, I was laid off from my old office job back in September and it was an awful experience. I guess Im just scared about taking a job on a contract with the opportunity to be hired.

I have 2 small kids at home so that also goes into my decision. How much will I miss? Like my daughters soccer games this summer etc..

I know in the end Im the only one who can make this decision but I value what you all say and would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks everyone

CBF

Only you can answer this.

But my advice is to flip a coin: heads, job 1. Tails, job 2. And if you're disappointed with the results of the coin flip, then you know which job you really want. (And no, I'm not being sarcastic. That's what I do to help figure out what I want with tough "six of one, half-dozen of the other" decisions.)

And 47 miles? Cry me a river. That's an average commute 'round these parts.

Only you can answer this.

But my advice is to flip a coin: heads, job 1. Tails, job 2. And if you're disappointed with the results of the coin flip, then you know which job you really want. (And no, I'm not being sarcastic. That's what I do to help figure out what I want with tough "six of one, half-dozen of the other" decisions.)

And 47 miles? Cry me a river. That's an average commute 'round these parts.

That is fantastic advice and a great way to find out how you truly feel.

Your not and idiot?

You have to trust your gut. I know it is cliched but you have insight into this decision that we couldn't possibly begin to speak on.

That said here is my opinion based on the info provided:

I work in HR and came across an interesting slogan "the behavior you allow is the behavior you promote." It has resonated strongly with me. In this instance, your current job has some backhanded and sneaky things going on and I see why that would make you uneasy. Your manager clearly has the CEOs ear so any type of grievance you may have will likely fall on deaf ears. Further you applied for this new job for a reason. Did something happen last week that led to you applying for a new job? Or just a general uneasy feeling?

Its odd. It was like she was my biggest fan when I was hired and then when she was promoted she said shes grooming me to take over for her when she retires in a few years.

Then, I had 3 days off about a month after I started that was approved by the old manager. It was so I could spend the last few days of my wifes MAT leave with her and the kids and I explained this to her as soon as she was promoted.

She said it was ok just bad timing.

Well, when I came back the next week it was a complete 180. She was very cold and short and made it seem like I was bugging her whenever I had questions. She also, always whispers to the girl who works with me in my department in front of me.

However, this week things have seemed to go back to normal. Maybe she feels like somethings up with me.

She left me a smiley face post it on my desk yesterday morning and asked me if I was ok today because I had a worried look on my face. so I don't know

CBF

That is fantastic advice and a great way to find out how you truly feel.

Your not and idiot?

No...but you're an idiot. The correct response would have been "That's fantastic advice. But I had to flip a coin to decide if it was."

Its odd. It was like she was my biggest fan when I was hired and then when she was promoted she said shes grooming me to take over for her when she retires in a few years.

Then, I had 3 days off about a month after I started that was approved by the old manager. It was so I could spend the last few days of my wifes MAT leave with her and the kids and I explained this to her as soon as she was promoted.

Well, when I came back the next week it was a complete 180. She was very cold and short and made it seem like I was bugging her whenever I had questions. She also, always whispers to the girl who works with me in my department in front of me.

However, this week things have seemed to go back to normal. Maybe she feels like somethings up with me.

She left me a smiley face post it on my desk yesterday morning and asked me if I was ok today because I had a worried look on my face. so I don't know

CBF

Smiley face post it? She wants to bang

Personally, that right there would convince me to take the other job. "Are you okay?" "No...somebody left a !@#$ing smiley-face post-it on my goddamn desk!"

God, I hate that !@#$ing Mickey Mouse Club horseshit in the office. I want to work in a Romper-Room-free zone, so go !@#$ing paint some !@#$ing happy happy !@#$ing trees with Bob !@#$ing Ross and leave me the !@#$ alone!

Personally, that right there would convince me to take the other job. "Are you okay?" "No...somebody left a !@#$ing smiley-face post-it on my goddamn desk!"

God, I hate that !@#$ing Mickey Mouse Club horseshit in the office. I want to work in a Romper-Room-free zone, so go !@#$ing paint some !@#$ing happy happy !@#$ing trees with Bob !@#$ing Ross and leave me the !@#$ alone!

LOL

(I literally laughed out loud)

Smiley face post it? She wants to bang

I should also clear up that in addition to the smiley face there was a note that said "Smile today is a new day"

CBF

CBF

I know a joke was already made but yeah she wants you lol

big fan, grooming,then mad when you take time off to be with your family, then a smiley face, then checking to make sure you weren't mad at her :devil:

I keed... kind of :P

On the serious side.. I would talk with your wife and if you still can't reach a conclusion then I would take Tom's advice and flip the coin. Right before you flip it you will know which way you want it to land and that is your answer.

No...but you're an idiot. The correct response would have been "That's fantastic advice. But I had to flip a coin to decide if it was."

Aww dammit! :bag:

Edited by section122