Offered a new job...Looking for your advice/opinions

I'd guess it hit around 1983 or 84, pensions and nice jobs for life disappeared overnight basically. Those in the numbers department got transfers to Toronto a year or so before it totally blew up on the home town...

Wow that's awful.

I didn't get to Brantford until 1997

CBF

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, I wouldn't chase a temporary position even if it has some positives. It's risky.

There is no guarantee that you will be offered a full time position at the end of the contract. You can do an incredible job and still not get the offer due to the health of the economy, the health of the sector you work in, budgetary constraints, new management, etc.

Further, whether anyone likes it or not, we're due for a recession. Signs abound that the economy is unsettled.

I'd keep the job you have and if unhappy, keep looking for a permanent position.

Working for a woman sucks, man.

Other than that I got nothin'. Good luck to you.

I got to second this one. Not to sound sexist but early in my career I worked for a woman & it totally sucked. From what I have seen in 20 years of banking, women in general when they get into a position of power, especially over men they tend to abuse it & really make it a miserable place to work. In my career I worked for 2 women & I have had 3 men as bosses & I got to honestly say the 2 women bosses I had sucked. I have turned down a few promotions in my time solely because I would be working for a woman. My boss now I have worked for him for over 10 years & he is one of my best friends. Just today I went into his office & told him I am taking off Wednesday & going golfing. He told me no problem. If it was a lady I was working under I would probably had to make some lie up like I am getting a kidney transplant or something to just to get the afternoon off.

My take on your scenario.

Your current situation sounds sketchy. I wouldn't tolerate that kind of nonsense and leave anyways.. The longer commute does suck, you have to decide if it's worth it. The temporary status doesn't mean anything. Unless it's a union job, your job security is on the line every day no matter what. You have to bring it every day to show your worth to the company. Anything less than that level of effort makes you a slacker and you should be fired.

If the commute is too much you could just wait it out and keep looking for a better job closer without the commute.

Thank you. I really like the job Im doing now and its close to home. (30 mins door to door) Its just the issues I had with my manager. Maybe she can tell somethings up with me because all this week she has been normal.

I think if I took this new job I would miss a lot of my 4 year old daughters soccer games. May not seem that important to some but its her first year in sports and I want to be that father that never misses anything she has going on whether that be school plays, sports etc....

CBF

Your children are only young once.

And from experience, when you go from a 19 minute drive to a 45+ minute drive, it is going to seem a lot more than that.

My take on your scenario.

Your current situation sounds sketchy. I wouldn't tolerate that kind of nonsense and leave anyways.. The longer commute does suck, you have to decide if it's worth it. The temporary status doesn't mean anything. Unless it's a union job, your job security is on the line every day no matter what. You have to bring it every day to show your worth to the company. Anything less than that level of effort makes you a slacker and you should be fired.

If the commute is too much you could just wait it out and keep looking for a better job closer without the commute.

And from experience, when you go from a 19 minute drive to a 45+ minute drive, it is going to seem a lot more than that.

So your choice is between being a slacker or a bad parent. Choose.

"Sketchy" vs the inconvenient unknown. Better to look for future options close to family would be where I would lean. The money is almost a wash after taxes and commute. But I am NOT saying what SHOULD happen. That's personal and should be made by the person with all the facts and the all-important "gut check".

Don't job hop.

Don't assume the next job will have no issues.

All jokes aside, nothing you've described (other than the generic truth that working for a woman sucks), sounds all that bad.

Sorry if I can't let that pass (even if it was meant in jest): My wife manages a couple dozen people in a sales/support group. The low end support people make very good money and are being prepped to be the next generation. The very top people make 7 figures, but made half of that before she arrived. I hope you were kidding about the "generic truth" part of that.

that's truth...

Well, the girl I was hired to replace was promoted to the managers role even though she has little experience as a manager and was only here for 6 months before being promoted.

What troubled me is that the new manager told me they had this all planned since before I was even hired and that she had a hand in me being hired. She would meet secretly with the CEO and look over my answers from my interview. She told me that when she resigned, she stated the manager was her reason why so the CEO pretty much told her they will let her go and promote her if she stays.

Late to this discussion, but in the event that no one addresses this, the above comment tells all.

You were hired by them in a deceitful manner. Regardless of your other options, working for a company that would treat a new employee like this speaks volumes about what kind of leadership and integrity there is at this company.

Are you okay with it? Stay. You'll be in good company and can accept all future surprises.

Are you not okay with it? Plan your exit. Frankly, you're only objection to the new job seems to be traffic and that it ends in eight months. Beyond traffic, the only difference between the two jobs is at least you know when one of them ends, and it sounds like a part of your getting extended is based on your ability to perform. Do you doubt your ability?

Put another way: companies who are purposefully deceitful to their employees rely on employees too afraid to do anything but obey. They have employees by the short-n-curlies. Is that you?

You are correct LABF, but in Canada our legit choices for jobs, cities of decent size to relocate, and mobility for the ambitious are a small fraction of what you have in the US.

Stay put. Let them know others are trying to hire you and get a raise. Problem solved!

I would add you will NEVER regret giving up money to be able to spend time with your kids.

That's a terrible idea.