Offered a new job...Looking for your advice/opinions

"Closed-door meetings? No...the only written feedback I got was a post-it note smiley..."

Count your blessings. I can't even get interviews. Because I "failed" an IQ test.

OK, IQ tests piss me off! Where we lived in Florida they had a public school for gifted kids. (Someone figured out the law said kids with special needs had to be met by public schools, and it wasn't just the slow kids....HA!) You had to be a very good student and test in with at least a 130 IQ. I took my kid for testing, and the guy comes out with a very grave look on his face. "I'm afraid your son has a learning disability". I rsspond, "but he's never even had a B on a report card". His response? "That's how he copes with his disability". WTF?

We're took him to a second place. She said oh yeah, some kids (especially bright ones) freak out if they know you are watching and timing them. They are perfectionists and cannot do it fast enough or good enough in their minds. She just sat at her desk and looked over his shoulder at the clock on the far wall. He easily blew through the 130 without a stop watch in his face. I don't know if he's as high as the second test, but now that his Masters is complete, I know there is NOT a learning disability. Idiots!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, IQ tests piss me off! Where we lived in Florida they had a public school for gifted kids. (Someone figured out the law said kids with special needs had to be met by public schools, and it wasn't just the slow kids....HA!) You had to be a very good student and test in with at least a 130 IQ. I took my kid for testing, and the guy comes out with a very grave look on his face. "I'm afraid your son has a learning disability". I rsspond, "but he's never even had a B on a report card". His response? "That's how he copes with his disability". WTF?

Oh, but he had a learning disability. It was called "Growing up in Florida."

Oh, but he had a learning disability. It was called "Growing up in Florida."

I would move back to Sarasota tomorrow if I could. (Naples would do just fine too.) He changed schools for HS as he wanted a full menu of sports, but Pine View killed it for kids who stayed through HS. Nationally ranked school. A friend stayed and started FSU (because they paid her $6,500/yr to attend) as a junior after AP credits. She was allowed 4 years of school, so arranged to get 4 different degrees at the same time (when you get the first one, all freebies are off). She's finished a couple years in Europe and now finishing an international business degree at Georgetown. I almost got a trip to Wimbledon this summer, but that fell through.... :(

We knew someone who sued the national bank she worked for. After a half decade +/- of court time and legal fees, it appears shes back to work. At another bank, of course. No big win there.

Dude....file a sexual harassment claim against her. Use the smiley face post it notes as evidence she tried to sleep with you and you refused and got fired.

And don't forget all those "closed-door meetings."

Go on one of the company review sites like glassdoors and state type of management they have.

Most companies hate it when you spell check and grammar correct their tests,

I had a professor once on a CS 400/500 class take my feedback seriously and I took the final first and "corrected it" before final was given.

Considering I had an A in class no matter what result I got on the final it was an easy decision to be made.

He once gave me a credit in one of his text books.

Already done my good man!

CBF, that sounds awful and unjust. Sounds like you handled it in a classy professional way. In the end, I think things will work out for a good guy like yourself. Don't stress it!

Thanks buddy!

Christmas movies this year?

Also,

Thank you all so much for the kind words everyone. The support is amazing.

The 2nd interview went well I think. He said he didn't want to keep me long and I said don't worry and to ask as many questions as he wanted. We ended up talking for 40 minutes

CBF

And don't forget all those "closed-door meetings."

That dog sure don't hunt in the States...cant believe a CEO would use undocumented meetings as a basis for termination, especially without documented performance improvement goals that were not met. Lawsuit waiting to happen in the states, even in so called "right to work " states.

In terms of tests, I am looking at a new position and had to take a verbal assessment the other day...I had never heard of a subjective verbal assessment. They started with some basic demographic information, and then asked my birthday...and I was floored. I mean here they are asking subjective questions.

I am not exactly a spring chicken anymore, and told the recruiter holy moly are they opening themselves up to an age discrimination suit if my assessment came back negative. I can see in a written, objective test, bias does not matter. But subjective answers and age involved????

That dog sure don't hunt in the States...cant believe a CEO would use undocumented meetings as a basis for termination, especially without documented performance improvement goals that were not met. Lawsuit waiting to happen in the states, even in so called "right to work " states.

In terms of tests, I am looking at a new position and had to take a verbal assessment the other day...I had never heard of a subjective verbal assessment. They started with some basic demographic information, and then asked my birthday...and I was floored. I mean here they are asking subjective questions.

I am not exactly a spring chicken anymore, and told the recruiter holy moly are they opening themselves up to an age discrimination suit if my assessment came back negative. I can see in a written, objective test, bias does not matter. But subjective answers and age involved????

I had an interesting situation when I was about to sign on for my current job. They were going to fly me down from Boston in order to see the place and meet people. They booked the airfare for me, so they had to have my DOB to do that. My now boss was very uncomfortable even asking for it because she knew the potential for trouble. I didn't care about it one bit, but then again, I did have a formal offer already.

I never cared what bad situations had to say about me. I'm not using them for a reference, and a decent answer during the interview should get you over that hurdle.

Everyone knows that about 2/3 of managers are total jerks in the first place.

Except all my bosses of course... if they are reading this...

Geez you Americans are rubbing your hands together (like Mr. Burns) plotting your big lawsuit before you have your morning coffee?

The thing is that most people, like CBF don't make waves when they're screwed over, so private employers can get away with this crap easily.

I do believe that asking about your age/race/gender/ethnicity/marital status on job applications is not illegal for private employers, but it is in some states and local jurisdictions, and definitely an invitation to anti-discrimination lawsuits if there's a pattern. It's much harder in public service positions where many states have civil service and anti-discrimination laws for public employees that are stricter than the federal standards.

One thing that employees in toxic situations should do is document all meetings. Use an appointment calendar to mark down your meetings, the attendees, the topics, either electronic (do NOT keep it on company hardware) or hard copied. Be especially detailed about private meetings, especially those with supervisors. Forward emails about your performance, private meetings, goals, expectations, etc. to your private home email.

If you feel you are being harassed because of your gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, handicaps, etc, keep diaries recording the dates and times of all incidents and what happened. If there are witnesses, record their full names in case they leave the employer and need to be tracked down years later. You should record the names of any individuals who you know have suffered the same harassment.

Hard evidence is priceless.

Litigious bunch on here, even the homeless are plotting their big day in court apparently...

As already stated, your options in Canada for decent re-employment are way lower than the US.... read my comments on the diffs we have up here.

If you lose a $100,000 to 250,000 job in Canada, good freaking luck in finding a suitable replacement quickly unless your Dad or cronies are gonna hand it to you.

And everyone is a BIG TOUGH GUY about rights and telling people to punch the bully in the nose. My experience is these are the biggest cowards and toadies when their skin is getting flayed by unfair employees.

Edited by row_33

I never cared what bad situations had to say about me. I'm not using them for a reference, and a decent answer during the interview should get you over that hurdle.

Everyone knows that about 2/3 of managers are total jerks in the first place.

Except all my bosses of course... if they are reading this...

Geez you Americans are rubbing your hands together (like Mr. Burns) plotting your big lawsuit before you have your morning coffee?

LOL

I literally laughed out loud.

Seriously

Also, for those saying to document meetings and keep record, I cant see how that would work in most cases that turn out like mine.

In the end it all boils down to he said/she said and in the end, who is usually going to get the benefit of the doubt? The manager or the employee?

The CEO pretty much summed it all up perfectly when he said.. "Well regardless, the decision has been made"

I ended the meeting saying "Well it doesn't matter what I say because it wont make a difference."

Then I got up and left

CBF

I always ask a potential hiree if they've been fired from a job, or dismissed after being treated unfairly, and I expect everyone has who isn't Daddy's Little Princess to have a few good stories for me.

Very interesting answers come out, I want something honest and cracking the icy shell one is trying to hold forward, which I'm going to shatter within 30 seconds anyways...

I can't believe a CEO came to a termination meeting. That's unusual, even in a small company. To me that says he doesn't trust the manager.

As for justification, in the states that only applies if you are a woman or black. White males can be dumped any time for any reason.

I can't believe a CEO came to a termination meeting. That's unusual, even in a small company. To me that says he doesn't trust the manager.

As for justification, in the states that only applies if you are a woman or black. White males can be dumped any time for any reason.

Sounds like the CEO would be a suitable reference, ask first though and get his/her honest comments.

Funny thing, this world...

Also, go to work for a small firm where the owners are hands-on and will be hiring you and supervising you.

If you HAVE TO you can go work for a large corporate entity where a (shivers) personnel department will do 10,000 pointless thing to cover their behinds that have nothing to do with the actual job you are hired for.