NFLPA to focus on marijuana for therapeutic reason

The league has a marijuana problem, and the league knows it.

At a deeper level, the NFL knows that a straight-faced excuse for persisting in the pot prohibition must be articulated in conceal the real reason for it: Collective bargaining.

Marijuana has 2 compounds, THC which is what get you high, and CBD, which is the actual painkilling compound.

THC can be psychologically addicting but is not physically addictive.

CBDs do not get you high, and have zero addictive properties.

The league should let players use CBD products for painkilling and not allow the THC products if they feel that strongly about it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/02/nflpa-continues-to-focus-on-marijuana-for-therapeutic-reasons/

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's coming because it isn't doing anyone good to be suspending players for 25% of the year for weed. Neither side wants that. The owners won't give it up for free though.

If they did random tests on all players, that % would jump to 50 if not more per my NFL source

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I understand the collective bargaining point but I think that management has lost sight of the goal of making this prohibited in the first place. Since it is not performance enhancing, the league was trying to protect the image of the game, imo.

So, today they suspend players that fail urine tests for cannabis. They then make a public announcement of the failure and suspend the player, damaging the player and the league's reputations.

Why not suspend only those players that have been arrested for cannabis crimes? At that point, those players have put themselves in the public eye and have indeed damaged the league's reputation. Players that use cannabis discreetly don't damage the reputation UNTIL the league publicizes the test failure.

Edited by Bob in Mich

If they did random tests on all players, that % would jump to 50 if not more per my NFL source

Yep and it is really a blurry line with it leagal in so many places. Maybe they simply follow the medical rules? If you are approved for medical marijuana you get a pass? They do that for other prescriptions I believe. They need to find a way to clean it up so that they aren't faced with this situation.

Addictive, impairing substance hence illegal. Medical use? Ok if prescribed by a doc, and only a certain level is in the system. This isn't rocket surgery.

are you ok with alcohol and tobacco/nicotine being legal? Marijuana is not addictive

Marijuana normalizes the expectation of getting high with every use.

You can use alcohol without getting drunk. Or maybe pot smokers drink with the expectation of getting blotto every time they drink?

Addictive, impairing substance hence illegal. Medical use? Ok if prescribed by a doc, and only a certain level is in the system. This isn't rocket surgery.

yes. Its still illegal. You cannot arbitrarily decide which federal laws you wish to use. A federal law is a federal law.

the pain pills they give these players are way more harmful than weed. some of them are basically heroin in pill form

no, no they're not if taken as prescribed.

Pain pills and alcohol have absolutely no reason to be a part of this debate except for those unable to actually sustain a debate. Its a red herring.

Pot is dangerous and illegal and the amount of disinformation out there is beyond absurd.

yes. Its still illegal. You cannot arbitrarily decide which federal laws you wish to use. A federal law is a federal law.

Do you ever drive over the legal speed limit on highways? That's illegal also

the biggest thing here is using medical pot can reduce the usage of opioid pain killers and are truly addictive pot and can have long lasting impact after football.

you're forgetting pot is addictive. And by your fallacy-ish statement all of those whom take pain pills are addictive and destroying their body

Do you ever drive over the legal speed limit on highways? That's illegal also

red herring. Not contextually applicable to this conversation. If you wish me to participate by responding please dignify it with a response on the subject. Thanks

you're forgetting pot is addictive. And by your fallacy-ish statement all of those whom take pain pills are addictive and destroying their body

It is not addictive....again, are you ok with alcohol and tobacco being legal? People die from these 2 addictive narcotics every year

Ridiculous. Its a god damn crime.

So was alcohol once.

Marijuana normalizes the expectation of getting high with every use. You can use alcohol without getting drunk. Or maybe pot smokers drink with the expectation of getting blotto every time they drink?

You can use marijuana just to get a light buzz too. You and Boyst are working off some bad info.

A cheap threat to the pharmaceutical monopoly/lobby, so there will be much pressure ($) to prevent this from happening in the most visible sport (marketing $) in the country.

So was alcohol once.

I'm for the legalization as you already should remember. I'm just not standing behind the moron potheads who want it for "healing" when they simply want to toke.

I'm for legalization of all drugs.

It is not addictive....again, are you ok with alcohol and tobacco being legal? People die from these 2 addictive narcotics every year

please, stick to the subject material.

I'm for the legalization as you already should remember. I'm just not standing behind the moron potheads who want it for "healing" when they simply want to toke.

I thought I was....didn't know you are in charge here

Pain pills and alcohol have absolutely no reason to be a part of this debate except for those unable to actually sustain a debate. Its a red herring.

this is 100% false. i've known plenty of normal everyday good people that became addicted to their pain pills by just taking the prescribed amount. you are completely misinformed if you think otherwise. i've seen it with my own eyes. their body craves it and they have physical withdrawals without it. throwing up, shaking, extreme pain. those types of symptoms then might lead to them abusing it but by then it's too late anyhow, they are already hooked

I thought I was....didn't know you are in charge here

catching too many fish over your tags is illegal. People do it. So pot should be legal.

That is the argument you're making. Its poor. I have no need to waste my argument that this is a stupid move by the league as a PR stunt and political statement and a ploy to get the NFLPA to back down on other issues and further screw over players.

this is 100% false. i've known plenty of normal everyday good people that became addicted to their pain pills by just taking the prescribed amount. you are completely misinformed if you think otherwise. i've seen it with my own eyes. their body craves it and they have physical withdrawals without it. throwing up, shaking, extreme pain. those types of symptoms then might lead to them abusing it but by then it's too late anyhow, they are already hooked

I stopped after your first two sentences because the rest seemed not worthwhile. Because, evidently this means you know of no one who took their pain pills as prescribed or perhaps more than prescribed and did not become addicted. But that doesn't change the fact that taking pain pills beyond their prescription or date or for uses other than prescribed is illegal and many times they're prescribed at too high of a rate to begin with which should be illegal - like pot already is. :bro fist: Edited by Boyst62

I stopped after your first two sentences because the rest seemed not worthwhile. Because, evidently this means you know of no one who took their pain pills as prescribed or perhaps more than prescribed and did not become addicted. But that doesn't change the fact that taking pain pills is illegal and many times they're prescribed at too high of a rate to begin with which should be illegal - like pot already is. :bro fist:

you stopped after i was saying how my father in law who was basically the nicest guy you would ever meet and never did anything wrong in his whole life became addicted to his pain pills by taking the prescribed amount? he had MS and had to take them. wasn't his fault, wasn't the doctor's fault. sorry if you didn't like my story but i watched it happen with my own eyes. i can name probably a dozen other people i've known personally that have gone through the same. my wife took pills for 2 days after her surgery and was absolutely terrified by how much her body physically demanded them so she stopped and won't take any ever again. these are just normal everyday people that are in pain and do what the doctor tells them.

now just imagine a 20 something year old that is in pain all day every day from his job and the doctor says here take these they will make you feel better. game over.

Bolded part is my issue as well.

Pot is dangerous and illegal and the amount of disinformation out there is beyond absurd.

wow please state your facts..... pain killers and alcohol are not as dangergous as weed? what world are you living in

you're forgetting pot is addictive. And by your fallacy-ish statement all of those whom take pain pills are addictive and destroying their bodyred herring

Boys, not saying everyone who takes it is addicted, but it is proven to be very addictive (way more so than pot) I had some after surgery and after two days, taking them as prescribed, I left a need for one and quit taking them. I can easily imagine an NFL player,with the grind and impact on their body taking them over the course of a season and struggling to quit

Marijuana normalizes the expectation of getting high with every use. You can use alcohol without getting drunk. Or maybe pot smokers drink with the expectation of getting blotto every time they drink?

come one row...this is dumb.

This should be moved to the PPP for proper discussion RE: the Federal Govt getting involved in these types of laws.

besides the addictive qualities of opioids, (which is directly linked to the drastic increase in the use of heroine) it's terrible on your liver/kidneys. if taken in small quantities it's more than fine, but for long term, chronic pain sufferers, it's a very risky way to go.

This should be moved to the PPP for proper discussion RE: the Federal Govt getting involved in these types of laws.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said Tuesday on ESPN’s Outside The Lines (via SportsBusiness Daily), “We intended to present a proposal to the league that has probably more of a therapeutic approach to those who test positive for marijuana. The idea is simply to make sure that we understand whether a player is suffering from something other than just a desire to smoke marijuana.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/02/nflpa-continues-to-focus-on-marijuana-for-therapeutic-reasons/

Roger Goodell: Marijuana is addictive and unhealthy

(Liability is the big issue......)

"I want to make sure that the negative consequences aren’t something that is something that we’ll be held accountable for some years down the road.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/28/roger-goodell-marijuana-is-addictive-and-unhealthy/

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said Tuesday on ESPN’s Outside The Lines (via SportsBusiness Daily), “We intended to present a proposal to the league that has probably more of a therapeutic approach to those who test positive for marijuana. The idea is simply to make sure that we understand whether a player is suffering from something other than just a desire to smoke marijuana.”

Roger Goodell: Marijuana is addictive and unhealthy

(Liability is the big issue......)

"I want to make sure that the negative consequences aren’t something that is something that we’ll be held accountable for some years down the road.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/28/roger-goodell-marijuana-is-addictive-and-unhealthy/

But the over prescribed painkillers to keep injured players on the field are just fine. :thumbsup:

The league has a marijuana problem, and the league knows it.

At a deeper level, the NFL knows that a straight-faced excuse for persisting in the pot prohibition must be articulated in conceal the real reason for it: Collective bargaining.

Marijuana has 2 compounds, THC which is what get you high, and CBD, which is the actual painkilling compound.

THC can be psychologically addicting but is not physically addictive.

CBDs do not get you high, and have zero addictive properties.

The league should let players use CBD products for painkilling and not allow the THC products if they feel that strongly about it.

I agree, this is the main reason. Gotta give me something so i will give you something. However, I think there is a secondary reason too. Big Pharma and their advertising dollars. Big Pharma hates Mary Jane and they will use whatever influence and resources they can to keep it down.

are you ok with alcohol and tobacco/nicotine being legal? Marijuana is not addictive

That is false. Studies show that about 10% of regular users become mentally addicted. Physical addiction is basically non-existent though.

wow please state your facts..... pain killers and alcohol are not as dangergous as weed? what world are you living in

reading is fundemental. Try it

no. Its fine here. There is no debate and should be no debate on the legality of it. Almost all of us work in locations and professions that should we fail a drug test we are fired. Why should the NFL be different? Because they're knuckle dragging idiots who play football really well? It is illegal and is part of their contract. I have no forgiveness to idiots.

seems like a few in this thread have a personal agenda for their hate of potsmokers

no. Reading is fundamental. I'm all for legalization of all drugs. But as long as its illegal than it is illegal. And as long as its in their contract its against their contract. Read, brah

But the over prescribed painkillers to keep injured players on the field are just fine. :thumbsup:

when prescribed and taken correctly. Your weak argument is akin to wanting to ban alcohol or guns because idiots use them the wrong way. Insert high five emogi for your thumbs up.

you stopped after i was saying how my father in law who was basically the nicest guy you would ever meet and never did anything wrong in his whole life became addicted to his pain pills by taking the prescribed amount? he had MS and had to take them. wasn't his fault, wasn't the doctor's fault. sorry if you didn't like my story but i watched it happen with my own eyes. i can name probably a dozen other people i've known personally that have gone through the same. my wife took pills for 2 days after her surgery and was absolutely terrified by how much her body physically demanded them so she stopped and won't take any ever again. these are just normal everyday people that are in pain and do what the doctor tells them.

now just imagine a 20 something year old that is in pain all day every day from his job and the doctor says here take these they will make you feel better. game over.

that was too much to read but I made it to the 4th sentence. And then something about the children.

Marijuana is just one item in the world that can reduce symptoms. I'm a firm believer in holistic medicine. And if pot heads simply looked to other options they could do well to relieve their glaucoma, anxiety, and other bull crap "ailments.". Especially those with back aches. They're psychosomatic and instead of them exercising and losing weight. They us a drug. That's pretty stupid.

And as far as it making people feel better. Try whiskey, Valerian root, hops, ginger root and some natural aspirin from the bark

Here we go again. Jerry Jones is starting to push the narrative in favor of marijuana. It is only a matter of time until we see a relaxation of the policy and something more like Hockey. Until then and beyond carry on, because there are any opinions on this board that matter to the Owners or the Players.