NFLPA to focus on marijuana for therapeutic reason

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. You're mistaken. They can't show up drunk to the stadium before a game because they have to drive to the stadium and its illegal to drive drunk!

That's why tailgating was invented! :)

They can't be high during the game because they'd have to smoke in the stadium, a non-smoking facility.

That's why edibles were invented! :)

Where there's a will, there's a way. The question is, who is that stupid? Because you CAN get high does NOT mean you MUST get high. (Or drunk.)

I have already explained it clearly multiple times. Read the thread promo before you post, I dont condone any substance that a player uses that will alter his ability and put others in jeopardy. There is no double standard.

Players cant stop smoking marijuana with their careers on the line, lifetime bans, and millions of dollars of cash but they are gojng to refrain from being under the influence of it during game time???

Sounds like a teenagers promise...

They can easily be under the influence with other substances as well. That's the double standard. It doesn't matter if you personally condone it or not...that's not what we're talking about. Why aren't you as concerned if the player is under the influence of other drugs but specifically pointing out weed? Other posters are seeing the double standard but you for some reason can't....either on purpose or not.

How naive are you to think that weed isn't already readily available? You think allowing it opens flood gates? You already stated players are still doing it now and it's not allowed...

no. You're mistaken. They can't show up drunk to the stadium before a game because they have to drive to the stadium and its illegal to drive drunk!

And in some areas, you can't buy alcohol on Sunday's!

They can easily be under the influence with other substances as well. That's the double standard. It doesn't matter if you personally condone it or not...that's not what we're talking about. Why aren't you as concerned if the player is under the influence of other drugs but specifically pointing out weed? Other posters are seeing the double standard but you for some reason can't....either on purpose or not.

How naive are you to think that weed isn't already readily available? You think allowing it opens flood gates? You already stated players are still doing it now and it's not allowed...

do you remember jbinatl? i like him as a poster, but he had the weirdest reasons for not believing legalization of pot was a good idea. one was that he really felt, once illegal, everyone would start driving high, which would cause the police to pull more people over, also increasing the amount of dui's. it was something along those lines. there was just a really strange point there. very much like what we have going on here.

That's why edibles were invented! :)

Where there's a will, there's a way. The question is, who is that stupid? Because you CAN get high does NOT mean you MUST get high. (Or drunk.)

Haha! Truth.

Likewise, one could sneak a flask. It's not any different to my eyes.

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

do you remember jbinatl? i like him as a poster, but he had the weirdest reasons for not believing legalization of pot was a good idea. one was that he really felt, once illegal, everyone would start driving high, which would cause the police to pull more people over, also increasing the amount of dui's. it was something along those lines. there was just a really strange point there. very much like what we have going on here.

I had one person tell me he doesn't want weed to be legal because he doesn't want his doctor operating on him high.

the pain pills they give these players are way more harmful than weed. some of them are basically heroin in pill form

Speak the truth, big pharma wants it's big expensive drugs that don't work to be used so they can keep people sick and needing more drugs. Weed is proven to be the drug that helps people in so many ways. #Legalize

Dude read it. I have said repeatedly I dont agree with it. I have no double standard. You have no argument with me. You have an argument with the league and state federal laws. I havent typed nor will you see me type one is better than the other.

Any substance that alters ones ability on the field that either positive or negative puts other people at danger.

I have already explained it clearly multiple times. Read the thread promo before you post, I dont condone any substance that a player uses that will alter his ability and put others in jeopardy. There is no double standard.

Players cant stop smoking marijuana with their careers on the line, lifetime bans, and millions of dollars of cash but they are gojng to refrain from being under the influence of it during game time???

Sounds like a teenagers promise...

If that were truly the case, then what stops them from doing that already? Pot is readily available everywhere. Players are obviously smoking already. So, why isn't that happening now? Or are you saying that it is?

Why don't they show up to games drunk right now? It's legal.

If that were truly the case, then what stops them from doing that already? Pot is readily available everywhere. Players are obviously smoking already. So, why isn't that happening now? Or are you saying that it is?

Why don't they show up to games drunk right now? It's legal.

He just doesn't get it.

When I was doing the restaurant thing, showing up baked was pretty much a given. That was my 20's.

20 years later, I work in healthcare, attention to detail is key. That's the last place I'd want to be high.

It's a personality/maturity/responsibility issue. Grass was just as illegal when I was bartending. I just didn't care that much about potentially messing up a Jack and Coke.

I live in a dry county. No liquor after 8 or Sundays at ABC stores for the state.

DeMaurice Smith is one of the worst things to happen to American Football. His disastrous leadership has not provided a good counterpoint to the league and is going to bite everyone in the ass. Not to mention his idiotic strategy to focus CBA negotiations primarily on money at the expense of anything else and to then sue the league later. The players need to dump him so some balance can be brought back to the negotiations between the NFL and NFLPA

I live in a dry county. No liquor after 8 or Sundays at ABC stores for the state.

I lived in a dry county outside of Dallas. Nothing prevents you from going down the road a bit to the next county to get it done. (Allen to Denton or Allen to Richardson)

The screwed up part of that, up until the summer of 2002 you could still drive with an open container in your car and an open container and guns in your truck.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I was in a dry county in Alabama when I was in college.

The next county was 15 minutes away so we jus drove there.

The county I live in Georgia didn't allow alcohol purchases on Sundays. So people either went to the bars or bought from a store Saturday night.

I never understood the thought process behind not being able purchase alcohol on Sundays. I can't drink from home but can go into my car, drink at a bar and then drive back home. It was like promoting drinking and driving.

NFLPA files grievance over pain pill policies in NFL. Says they are violating policies and even federal law with blatant over prescription of pain pills -

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708636-nflpa-files-cba-violation-grievance-against-nfl-over-use-of-painkillers

(if anyone can tell me why bleacher report links never work, or how to get them to work, I'd be grateful. I only have this problem with BR links...)

'Offensive lineman Kyle Turley, who played nearly a decade in the NFL before retiring in 2007, spoke with Vice Sports about "playing numb" because of painkillers:

'Meanwhile, a group called the Gridiron Cannabis Coalition is working to advocate marijuana as a "safer and more effective treatment" than prescription drugs to handle the day-to-day pain that comes from playing professional football.'

Here is another related link on prescription painkiller abuse problems in the NFL. It's a good read for anyone interested -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.feaa1cd87d73

Proves my point. Turley is high on pain killers during the game. These guys are dopamine/adreline/thrill seeking junkies. You can piss and moan all day about the money and danger to teammates but this is Football and the human factor is never going away.

I was in a dry county in Alabama when I was in college.

The next county was 15 minutes away so we jus drove there.

The county I live in Georgia didn't allow alcohol purchases on Sundays. So people either went to the bars or bought from a store Saturday night.

I never understood the thought process behind not being able purchase alcohol on Sundays. I can't drink from home but can go into my car, drink at a bar and then drive back home. It was like promoting drinking and driving.

That's the south for you. You can't fix stupid.

In Rochester years back (possibly still the same) you had to wait until noon to buy beer. I'd be standing in line cashing out at 11:55 AM at Wegmans and wait for the 5 minutes to pass. Needless to say the people behind me weren't too happy to wait.

That's the south for you. You can't fix stupid.

In Rochester years back (possibly still the same) you had to wait until noon to buy beer. I'd be standing in line cashing out at 11:55 AM at Wegmans and wait for the 5 minutes to pass. Needless to say the people behind me weren't too happy to wait.

It's still 12:30 in my county. But I can drink at a bar before 12:30.

I can only imagine how strong some of the stuff is you can get in Colorado or California these days. It has to be among the best of the best unless the state governments regulate how good the weed can be.

One thing about Americans - when we decide to do something for ourselves - we generally end up getting really damn good at it. I have little doubt that, if they already aren't doing it, growers in California and other parts of the US will soon be producing the best of the best ganja in the world.

And we are miles ahead of most of the rest of the world in terms of agricultural production knowledge.

Kids smoking that stuff everyday as teenagers are going to be bozos by the time they are 30. Is this why kids live with their parents so long these days? :lol::lol::lol:

When you smoke a lot of weed, especially good weed, the normal priorities of supporting yourself and getting ahead in life start to take a back seat.

I assume you drink cans of beer. Do you also drink 12 oz of whiskey at a time? No? Well it's the same with weed. When I was 16 you smoked most of a joint to feel it. Now one puff gets the job done..

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Close enough. The ministers wanted the men to go to church (sober)

It's the only place you can get some wine!!!

I assume you drink cans of beer. Do you also drink 12 oz of whiskey at a time? No? Well it's the same with weed. When I was 16 you smoked most of a joint to feel it. Now one puff gets the job done..

We have a friend (a very successful business owner) who has a place in Colorado. He reports that he's not surprised some people wind up in emergency rooms. That's crazy to even imagine!

...do you get an AARP discount??............

• 3 weeks later...

It's coming because it isn't doing anyone good to be suspending players for 25% of the year for weed. Neither side wants that. The owners won't give it up for free though.

Exactly, there will be a price, but it will go away as a problem within a few years.

It's the only place you can get some wine!!!

We have a friend (a very successful business owner) who has a place in Colorado. He reports that he's not surprised some people wind up in emergency rooms. That's crazy to even imagine!

There are idiots who don't know what they are doing.

Take Maureen Dowd of the the NY Times who thought she'd try some edibles when Colorado first legalized pot.

See eats a piece of a laced chocolate bar. Then when she didn't feel anything after 15 minutes, she ate the rest of the bar. Needless to say she spent the next 12 hours in the fetal position.

Noob.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

yes. Its still illegal. You cannot arbitrarily decide which federal laws you wish to use. A federal law is a federal law.

no, no they're not if taken as prescribed.

Pain pills and alcohol have absolutely no reason to be a part of this debate except for those unable to actually sustain a debate. Its a red herring.

Pot is dangerous and illegal and the amount of disinformation out there is beyond absurd.

Wow that last line is so completely wrong that it makes my head hurt.

Dangerous? Wrong.

Illegal? Not really.

Maybe I'm a bit too high now but...

Is this guy trolling or serious?

bone spurs? Isn't that the bass player in that bluesband from the 60's?

Don't assume you know my situation. And I don't care to know yours. The bottom line isn't that it is a pain killer, its not. Its symptom relief. Like a lot of things.

I have a craving for arbys. Maybe I'm high. You know what else is high? Gas. In my day is fine up for $5. Of course, as a soon to retire 50something year old I just can't be in touch with what these hippies want.

Fast food was found to be addictive 😎

Also what they are testing for isn't against federal law. Law prohibits possession and distribution. You can fail a drug test without violating a federal law.

Comedian John Oliver had a cannabis segment a month or so ago on HBO. He touches on many of the problems encountered by medical cannabis users, researchers, and businesses using a bit of humor

https://www.leafly.com/news/pop-culture/watch-john-oliver-break-down-federal-vs-state-cannabis-laws

from the article

For this week’s “Watch This,” catch up on John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight segment from April 2017, which focuses on cannabis (or, as he refers to it, “basically catnip for people”). In a condensed under-17 minute segment, he navigates through marijuana’s original ban that arose from racial stereotypes, Nixon’s disdain for the substance (and, bizarrely, for Jewish people), how federal law clashes with state laws, and the restrictions behind researching its benefits or effects, all while freaking the eff out of any stoned viewers named Greg.

Note: The actual video has some bad language, so may not be safe for work viewing

Edited by Bob in Mich

You are misinformed by a great level on this topic.

que

Fast food was found to be addictive 😎

Also what they are testing for isn't against federal law. Law prohibits possession and distribution. You can fail a drug test without violating a federal law.

explain how please.

I would think both the NFLPLA and owners would be on same side of the marijuana issue. Do you really think owners are happy when their star players get suspended for weed? However, I am cognizant of the fact that owners will try to leverage a concession out of the NFLPA anyways, even though it really goes against the interest of both sides.