NFLPA to focus on marijuana for therapeutic reason

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFLPA files grievance over pain pill policies in NFL. Says they are violating policies and even federal law with blatant over prescription of pain pills -

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708636-nflpa-files-cba-violation-grievance-against-nfl-over-use-of-painkillers

(if anyone can tell me why bleacher report links never work, or how to get them to work, I'd be grateful. I only have this problem with BR links...)

'Offensive lineman Kyle Turley, who played nearly a decade in the NFL before retiring in 2007, spoke with Vice Sports about "playing numb" because of painkillers:

'Meanwhile, a group called the Gridiron Cannabis Coalition is working to advocate marijuana as a "safer and more effective treatment" than prescription drugs to handle the day-to-day pain that comes from playing professional football.'

Here is another related link on prescription painkiller abuse problems in the NFL. It's a good read for anyone interested -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.feaa1cd87d73

NFLPA files grievance over pain pill policies in NFL. Says they are violating policies and even federal law with blatant over prescription of pain pills -

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708636-nflpa-files-cba-violation-grievance-against-nfl-over-use-of-painkillers

(if anyone can tell me why bleacher report links never work, or how to get them to work, I'd be grateful. I only have this problem with BR links...)

'Offensive lineman Kyle Turley, who played nearly a decade in the NFL before retiring in 2007, spoke with Vice Sports about "playing numb" because of painkillers:

'Meanwhile, a group called the Gridiron Cannabis Coalition is working to advocate marijuana as a "safer and more effective treatment" than prescription drugs to handle the day-to-day pain that comes from playing professional football.'

Here is another related link on prescription painkiller abuse problems in the NFL. It's a good read for anyone interested -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.feaa1cd87d73

BR is not allowed to be linked from TBD.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

So does that mean I am not allowed to post any BR links at all? Or just that they won't function by clicking on them?

If they're not allowed and won't work, I'd just pass. I'm not sure the reason, but it just is.....

I know several commercial growers and have helped them with cultivation techniques both indoor and field grown, hydroponic, certified organic, soilless media culture versus bare earth, fiddled with various temperature/humidity gradients and optimal artificial daylight flowering inducement. I'm familiar with the owners of the largest medicinal grow-op in our state, it's five minutes down the road from my house. I've personally been growing and experimenting with the crop since before high school. I've grown 10 foot tall plants with 16-inch buds with trichomes drenched in cannabinoids.

I've also had an admittedly informal but extensive introduction to the medical benefits and drawbacks of using cannabis to treat a number of health issues. Like the difference between CBD1 and CBD2 and their respective health benefits with regards to mode of action. I know how to breed a particular strain to produce higher levels of these cannabinoids and less THC as to provide a higher concentration of medicinal benefit to the user. I also know that smoking the flower it is both less effective and more dangerous to the overall health of the individual than taking an extract, either a super/subcritical CO2 or ethanol extraction rather than butane or hexane, which can have damaging effects of their own.

I know several commercial growers and have helped them with cultivation techniques both indoor and field grown, hydroponic, certified organic, soilless media culture versus bare earth, fiddled with various temperature/humidity gradients and optimal artificial daylight flowering inducement. I'm familiar with the owners of the largest medicinal grow-op in our state, it's five minutes down the road from my house. I've personally been growing and experimenting with the crop since before high school. I've grown 10 foot tall plants with 16-inch buds with trichomes drenched in cannabinoids.

I've also had an admittedly informal but extensive introduction to the medical benefits and drawbacks of using cannabis to treat a number of health issues. Like the difference between CBD1 and CBD2 and their respective health benefits with regards to mode of action. I know how to breed a particular strain to produce higher levels of these cannabinoids and less THC as to provide a higher concentration of medicinal benefit to the user. I also know that smoking the flower it is both less effective and more dangerous to the overall health of the individual than taking an extract, either a super/subcritical CO2 or ethanol extraction rather than butane or hexane, which can have damaging effects of their own.

So, basically, you don't know anything about it. :)

not many know this and anyone who is astounded why people feel so strongly about it should of never questioned why. you would have to include hemp for the many reasons it could make the world a better place, but that's another discussion.

Right so you dont like mike argument and you choose to find two of the highest paid players at their position to pop for substance abuse. Thats a lazy comparison.

On e again i havent condone the use of other drugs or alcohol. You keep bringing that up as if it serves ANY purpose. It doesnt.

I never said you condone it but you keep thinking it for some reason.

You keep bringing up hypotheticals that a franchise QB could get severely hurt because the guy protecting him is high and that would be a concern if weed was allowed. It's not any different than other drugs. You went even as far as saying it doesn't matter if it's tree bark, it shouldn't be allowed if puts players on the field in danger. Well then you should be against alcohol and pills. It's a double standard.

Do you finally get it?

I doubt that but let yourself believe it if it makes you feel like you have some kind of superiority to my knowledge of the plant.

i doubt you know as much as many on here, you'd be surprised who is who and what is what here.

so when it comes to one upping a one upper, i just wouldn't bother.

hell i know more about plants than the average person but i don't know much about weed, but yet i'd still probably know more about the basic principles of the plant than anything and could probably grow it better than anyone here.

still, being a pothead doesn't earn you anything special. weed grows so easily its called weed.

If they're not allowed and won't work, I'd just pass. I'm not sure the reason, but it just is.....

back when bleacher report first came out sds had a major problem with them, as did many others. it was a click bait site. everything was a slideshow that generated higher traffic, for one, to make their analytics crazy insane popular. its why so many clickbaits are slideshows.

either way, it was nothing more than a 7th grader making a slideshow with their easy to use software. it was poorly run and no quality control. it served no purpose.

only in the last year or so did they actually increase content but still, it is largely a TMZ style site

i doubt you know as much as many on here, you'd be surprised who is who and what is what here.

so when it comes to one upping a one upper, i just wouldn't bother.

hell i know more about plants than the average person but i don't know much about weed, but yet i'd still probably know more about the basic principles of the plant than anything and could probably grow it better than anyone here.

still, being a pothead doesn't earn you anything special. weed grows so easily its called weed.

Here's the divide....some people know all about growing it, some people know about using it. Some people know both sides. Some know a little of both...

Here's the divide....some people know all about growing it, some people know about using it. Some people know both sides. Some know a little of both...

bingo.

and if i had to choose, i'd rather grow it. i'd rather enjoy the art of that than using it. sadly i did try cigarettes only to pass the time and never cared much for them. never did weed or any drugs, just don't see the point.

everyone has their own thngs in life, everyone should be able to choose the things that they desire so long as they do not harm others - weed isn't at a point where we can ensure others won't be harmed. reliable testing isn't available.

back when bleacher report first came out sds had a major problem with them, as did many others. it was a click bait site. everything was a slideshow that generated higher traffic, for one, to make their analytics crazy insane popular. its why so many clickbaits are slideshows.

either way, it was nothing more than a 7th grader making a slideshow with their easy to use software. it was poorly run and no quality control. it served no purpose.

only in the last year or so did they actually increase content but still, it is largely a TMZ style site

I can't argue with that.....

I never said you condone it but you keep thinking it for some reason.

You keep bringing up hypotheticals that a franchise QB could get severely hurt because the guy protecting him is high and that would be a concern if weed was allowed. It's not any different than other drugs. You went even as far as saying it doesn't matter if it's tree bark, it shouldn't be allowed if puts players on the field in danger. Well then you should be against alcohol and pills. It's a double standard.

Do you finally get it?

Dude you keep bringin up alcohol and pills. You are the one that first brought it up. I repeatedly tell you I dont condone those. If thats your argument uou should stop, because Im not arguing that pills or alcohol are better.

There is no double standard. I stated I am against anything that pits the players in needless jeopardy. If thats a player self medicating on anything or abusing any substance I am against it.

Please, please, pretty please read it slowly if needed. Go back and start from the beginning if need be, heck read your last post where you said that I stated if its treebark it shouldnt be allowed.

There is no double standard. ANYTHING THAT PUTS ANOTHER TEAMMATE NEEDLESSLY IN A POSITION TO GET INJURED BY ANOTHER TEAMATE WHETHER SMOKED, EATEN, DRANK, IV ADMINISTERED, OR RECTAL INSERTED shouldnt be allowed in thise players system while they are playing.

I cant be anymore clearer than that.

And some people have served in the capacity if substance abuse counselor and seen firsthand the toll marijuana or any substance can have on a career, family, and finances....

bingo.

and if i had to choose, i'd rather grow it. i'd rather enjoy the art of that than using it. sadly i did try cigarettes only to pass the time and never cared much for them. never did weed or any drugs, just don't see the point.

everyone has their own thngs in life, everyone should be able to choose the things that they desire so long as they do not harm others - weed isn't at a point where we can ensure others won't be harmed. reliable testing isn't available.

We can NEVER ensure that people will not be harmed. People driving home from Applebees after a couple appetizers and a couple beers may....hell, make it ice tea! You cannot avoid danger - it's part of life. I've been whacked out on caffeine, or just tired. Not everyone is as "pure" as you. That doesn't make them better or worse. I don't think there's any question that alcohol is more dangerous than pot.

bingo.

If I substitute GE crops for cannabis in this sentence, will you still feel the same? :nana:

We can NEVER ensure that people will not be harmed. People driving home from Applebees after a couple appetizers and a couple beers may....hell, make it ice tea! You cannot avoid danger - it's part of life. I've been whacked out on caffeine, or just tired. Not everyone is as "pure" as you. That doesn't make them better or worse. I don't think there's any question that alcohol is more dangerous than pot.

Totally depends on the scenario.

You absolutely can be too stoned to operate a motor vehicle. (Like way, way, way too life is a giant slide show happening one second at a time stoned) Anyone who doesn't think so hasn't experienced truly premium grade junk. And you don't need to smoke much to get that high. Couple deep hits off a bong will do.

The person who has only dabbled in smoking grass a couple dozen times in their life has probably never experienced it.

Dude you keep bringin up alcohol and pills. You are the one that first brought it up. I repeatedly tell you I dont condone those. If thats your argument uou should stop, because Im not arguing that pills or alcohol are better.

There is no double standard. I stated I am against anything that pits the players in needless jeopardy. If thats a player self medicating on anything or abusing any substance I am against it.

Please, please, pretty please read it slowly if needed. Go back and start from the beginning if need be, heck read your last post where you said that I stated if its treebark it shouldnt be allowed.

There is no double standard. ANYTHING THAT PUTS ANOTHER TEAMMATE NEEDLESSLY IN A POSITION TO GET INJURED BY ANOTHER TEAMATE WHETHER SMOKED, EATEN, DRANK, IV ADMINISTERED, OR RECTAL INSERTED shouldnt be allowed in thise players system while they are playing.

I cant be anymore clearer than that.

And some people have served in the capacity if substance abuse counselor and seen firsthand the toll marijuana or any substance can have on a career, family, and finances....

If pot can reduce the use of opioids, I'm all in! My son is actually an admissions counselor for a large network of treatment facilities. He's excellent at his job, partly because he's been on both sides of the fence. He gets letters from people who say "You saved my life". I couldn't grow weed, but we have way more experience in this field than we want. Again, if weed can reduce the use of opioids, it's a no brainier.

I will acknowledge that pot can be addictive, but not physically. (Unlike alcohol and pain killers, but still psychologically addictive) So many people with so little knowledge have such strong opinions.

Totally depends on the scenario.

You absolutely can be too stoned to operate a motor vehicle. (Like way, way, way too life is a giant slide show happening one second at a time stoned) Anyone who doesn't think so hasn't experienced truly premium grade junk. And you don't need to smoke much to get that high. Couple deep hits off a bong will do.

The person who has only dabbled in smoking grass a couple dozen times in their life has probably never experienced it.

Moderation is the key to anything. My son knew a kid who was in treatment for video game and Red Bull. He actually had a RB sponsorship! And I'm NOT trying to take a stance on anything other than I am 100% for reducing opioids. Edited by Augie

Moderation is the key to anything. My son knew a kid who was in treatment for video game and Red Bull. He actually had a RB sponsorship! And I'm NOT trying to take a stance on anything other than I am 100% for reducing opioids.

Yes. No doubt. You also have to know what you are smoking.

With booze, even if you are drinking moonshine straight off the still, you can only get so much alcohol in it - thereby limiting how hammered you can get if you limit your intake.

Different types of weed, depending on what type it is and where it came from can get you retarded stoned on very little. And some weed takes longer to feel the buzz from. So you might think it is weak after you smoked a bowl - only to find out it creeps up on you after you smoked a second bowl and whammo - you sir are now a 6 year old giggling uncontrollably on silly farts. Your mouth is wide open as if you are laughing your ass off - yet nobody can hear a sound come out of your mouth. All you do is sit and point at people with your mouth wide open like some kind of mentally handicapped tweeker. Someone tells you how silly you look and it just takes the intensity of your wasted-ness up another notch - Bam!

A guy drinking Everclear will still know about how much he can consume before getting tipsy and/or shitfaced - unless he has never had it before.

Yes. No doubt. You also have to know what you are smoking.

With booze, even if you are drinking moonshine straight off the still, you can only get so much alcohol in it - thereby limiting how hammered you can get if you limit your intake.

Different types of weed, depending on what type it is and where it came from can get you retarded stoned on very little. And some weed takes longer to feel the buzz from. So you might think it is weak after you smoked a bowl - only to find out it creeps up on you after you smoked a second bowl and whammo - you sir are now a 6 year old giggling uncontrollably on silly farts. Your mouth is wide open as if you are laughing your ass off - yet nobody can hear a sound come out of your mouth. All you do is sit and point at people with your mouth wide open like some kind of mentally handicapped tweeker. Someone tells you how silly you look and it just takes the intensity of your wasted-ness up another notch - Bam!

A guy drinking Everclear will still know about how much he can consume before getting tipsy and/or shitfaced - unless he has never had it before.

Well, that just says it all! :) We were in Colorado last month and saw the retail places. I guess they have "pot bars" too? I would not want to giggle at silly farts out in public....THAT I know!

Well, that just says it all! :) We were in Colorado last month and saw the retail places. I guess they have "pot bars" too? I would not want to giggle at silly farts out in public....THAT I know!

I can only imagine how strong some of the stuff is you can get in Colorado or California these days. It has to be among the best of the best unless the state governments regulate how good the weed can be.

One thing about Americans - when we decide to do something for ourselves - we generally end up getting really damn good at it. I have little doubt that, if they already aren't doing it, growers in California and other parts of the US will soon be producing the best of the best ganja in the world.

And we are miles ahead of most of the rest of the world in terms of agricultural production knowledge.

Kids smoking that stuff everyday as teenagers are going to be bozos by the time they are 30. Is this why kids live with their parents so long these days? :lol::lol::lol:

When you smoke a lot of weed, especially good weed, the normal priorities of supporting yourself and getting ahead in life start to take a back seat.

I certainly worry about all of that, as a father, a grandfather and for our country. Opioids concern me far more. I hope we get that under control soon, because it's an epidemic out there.

I can only imagine how strong some of the stuff is you can get in Colorado or California these days. It has to be among the best of the best unless the state governments regulate how good the weed can be.

One thing about Americans - when we decide to do something for ourselves - we generally end up getting really damn good at it. I have little doubt that, if they already aren't doing it, growers in California and other parts of the US will soon be producing the best of the best ganja in the world.

And we are miles ahead of most of the rest of the world in terms of agricultural production knowledge.

Kids smoking that stuff everyday as teenagers are going to be bozos by the time they are 30. Is this why kids live with their parents so long these days? :lol::lol::lol:

When you smoke a lot of weed, especially good weed, the normal priorities of supporting yourself and getting ahead in life start to take a back seat.

Nah. I believe it's situational. Cannabis doesn't prevent you from getting ahead in life, being a loser does.

Edited by GoBills808

I certainly worry about all of that, as a father, a grandfather and for our country. Opioids concern me far more. I hope we get that under control soon, because it's an epidemic out there.

I agree. And I honestly don't know how you fix it. It happens in families even with good parents. Scary stuff. Sad stuff.

Nah. I believe it's situational. Cannabis doesn't prevent you from getting ahead in life, being a loser does.

Funny how high cannabis consumption and "being a loser" so often go hand in hand though. Causation? Perhaps not? Correlation. Definitely common.

I agree. And I honestly don't know how you fix it. It happens in families even with good parents. Scary stuff. Sad stuff.

Funny how high cannabis consumption and "being a loser" so often go hand in hand though. Causation? Perhaps not? Correlation. Definitely common.

No real reason to single out cannabis among the myriad substances that accompany loserdom, other than personal preference. There are literally millions of successful people in our country who use cannabis regularly for a number of reasons, although recreational usage is definitely the highest.

Soooo...you holdin?

kids in high school did all the time. a few wrestling matches some kids took a bunch of acid before they wrestled. the results were heeeelarious, including one guy stopping in the middle of his pen because someone was waving his coat and he started laughing at the colors.

i get that there's always going to be someone who does it, but i don't think lifting the ban on use in the nfl will make more guys do it. people make very conscious decisions on how they're going to use. if they're responsible enough not to go into a game/match high while it's banned, i'd assume having it unbanned would make their decision making process on the matter no different.

Soooo...you holdin?

no kidding!

Oh its going to be tremendously ugly when one of the players show high as a kite and as such arent able to perform their duties for example at one of the tackle spots snd their franchise 100million very hard to find qbs career completely over because the need to get high over takes everyone rlses wellbeing on the team...

Wow, did you strain something coming up with that scenario?

Question: What prevents players from showing up roaring drunk?

So these losers you know don't drink, snort meth or abuse any substance other than marijuana? Are their parents losers too? That might be part of it?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Wow, did you strain something coming up with that scenario?

Question: What prevents players from showing up roaring drunk?

So these losers you know don't drink, snort meth or abuse any substance other than marijuana? Are their parents losers too? That might be part of it?

This is something he just isn't understanding for some reason. He doesn't see his incredible double standard.

This is something he just isn't understanding for some reason. He doesn't see his incredible double standard.

People with poor arguments resort to exaggeration and fear mongering.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I have already explained it clearly multiple times. Read the thread promo before you post, I dont condone any substance that a player uses that will alter his ability and put others in jeopardy. There is no double standard.

Players cant stop smoking marijuana with their careers on the line, lifetime bans, and millions of dollars of cash but they are gojng to refrain from being under the influence of it during game time???

Sounds like a teenagers promise...

i don't get why he's assuming people are suddenly going to start changing how they live their life. there's no basis for that. in now way would i ever how up to work high. if they suddenly made pot legal in ny, that wouldn't change. pot is so easily available, that if i was going to do it, i would have done it already. legality won't change that.

no. You're mistaken. They can't show up drunk to the stadium before a game because they have to drive to the stadium and its illegal to drive drunk!