GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could have tagged him and also matched Gillislee. McDermott calls all the way. Whaley's gone and McDermott has been running the ship. He'll own both decisions.

If he does, he'll be lying.

He and Doug have been working as partners since he was hired

It seemed pretty obvious once Whaley was not allowed to speak to the media he and his staff were going to get canned after the draft as his team was needed for these last few months.

There was a story that McD had the head of player personnel from Carolina for this job, and then he would hire his scouts. The good news is the GM and Coach will be on the same page.

As far as the comments about McD's tenure, or Monos, this decision has nothing to do with their stability. If anything, I see McD as one other poster mentioned being here for at least 4-5 years. I'm confident McD will get us to the playoffs whether this year or the next, but we'll have a winning team with some hope. Monos needs to align himself with McD to be retained.

So the personnel person from Carolina will be our GM, not McD acting as Belicheck, but the two will most likely be aligned as to the direction of the team.

Whaley is a good personnel man. I hope we don't see a Gilmore situation where many people view him as mediocre but a certain team scoops him up.

i will be very disappointed if Monos goes too

Only hope is i believe Monos was in Philly with McDermott. So hopefully he'll be retained.

If he does, he'll be lying.

He and Doug have been working as partners since he was hired

You know thats not how things are done here. We can only have ONE person totally responsible, so we can over-react and over-judge those decisions. It makes it way easier to run them out of town in 2 years. Start the billboard fund now!

He's a one route wonder who had 36 catches his last year in Bufalo and 38 catches his first year in NE :lol:

maybe the pats make him look better :) ? he did have 680 yards last season and caught more of his targets than edeleman.

You know thats not how things are done here. We can only have ONE person totally responsible, so we can over-react and over-judge those decisions. It makes it way easier to run them out of town in 2 years. Start the billboard fund now!

Doug Whaley has been here since 2010. Your ire is misplaced. He stinks.

The Pegulas are officially the worst owners in professional sports. They have not gotten one single thing right so far. They can't hire a coach but now they have two GMs and a coach to hire at the same time. Thanks to them McDermott is the new target for everything that goes wrong and I don't see him lasting 3 years. Rex only lasted two and he actually had coaching experience and was not considered the defacto GM by the fans and the media. Buffalo sports ALWAYS needs a scapegoat and now McDermott is that guy thanks to the Pegulas. Wouldn't it have been nice to just give the guy a chance to be a successful coach without all the extra pressure? BTW who hires a coach and then hires a GM after? Hopefully, this was planned out in advance and whoever is the next GM had some say in the hire but I mean were talking about the Pegulas here so I doubt it. At this moment Eichel doesn't even want to resign here and why should he? This is all amateur hour right now and the only thing that can save it is a playoff run for the Bills and the Sabres. Anything less and the wheels fall completely off in a way they have not since the 80's.

They could have tagged him and also matched Gillislee. McDermott calls all the way. Whaley's gone and McDermott has been running the ship. He'll own both decisions.

OK, but still gilmore wanted out last season- you could see it in his play. he did not want to be a part of the bills organization any longer. that's on the gm.

The Pegulas are officially the worst owners in professional sports. They have not gotten one single thing right so far. They can't hire a coach but now they have two GMs and a coach to hire at the same time. Thanks to them McDermott is the new target for everything that goes wrong and I don't see him lasting 3 years. Rex only lasted two and he actually had coaching experience and was not considered the defacto GM by the fans and the media. Buffalo sports ALWAYS needs a scapegoat and now McDermott is that guy thanks to the Pegulas. Wouldn't it have been nice to just give the guy a chance to be a successful coach without all the extra pressure? BTW who hires a coach and then hires a GM after? Hopefully, this was planned out in advance and whoever is the next GM had some say in the hire but I mean were talking about the Pegulas here so I doubt it. At this moment Eichel doesn't even want to resign here and why should he? This is all amateur hour right now and the only thing that can save it is a playoff run for the Bills and the Sabres. Anything less and the wheels fall completely off in a way they have not since the 80's.

I still give that to Dan Snyder and his racist team name, handling of McCloughon, and potentially ostracizing his budding franchise QB.

But the Pegulas are def in the lower rankings right now.

OK, but still gilmore wanted out last season- you could see it in his play. he did not want to be a part of the bills organization any longer. that's on the gm.

Nope! Gilmore had a very good season for the Bills in '16. He wanted to be paid market value. Simple as that.