RD 1, Pick 27: Tre'Davious White (CB) - LSU

SDS

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the pick. It was a huge hole. I think McD has taken over a lot of power and is putting his stamp on things. White is a high character guy, 4 yr starter, and a leader. PFF had him as the 2nd corner and we got him at 27 + a 3rd + a 2018 1st. Thumbs up to the new order!

Edited by voodoo poonani

I was pointing out this was not a CB for CB exchange like people are whining about endlessly. People think we let Gilmore walk and had to waste a 1st to replace him. The truth is, the money we saved on Gilmore allowed us to add players like Hyde, among others, in FA. Then we also gained an extra first round pick and an extra third. So we subtracted one player (Gilmore) and our 10th pick, but in return we gained multiple players in FA, one of the top corners in the draft, an extra first round pick, and an extra 3rd round pick.

So what has more value? Gilmore and the 10th pick....or White, an extra first rounder, an extra 3rd, and multiple player signings with the saved cap space from not over paying Gilmore. I think we did pretty darn good.

I think Hyde can be a useful player, but he fell out of the Packers rotation and they didn't even bother to begin contract negotiations with him, people can stop pretending he's the next Polumalu anytime now. Other than Hyde (who we could have signed along with Gilmore given some cap gymnastics) we just got a bunch of depth guys with the extra cap space. Sure, they all "do it the right way" and maybe that will go along way towards changing the culture, but I'd rather have guys who can make game changing plays than guys who can't with good attitudes.

Letting Gilmore walk, using his cap space to sign a bunch of overpriced backups whose spots should have been filled by previous better drafting, then using a 1st round pick to replace the spot is a poor use of resources. Gilmore was the casualty of Rex and Whaley just needing to steal Clay and needing to expend late draft picks to move up and get certain players, some of which don't fit our scheme now. McD had to start his regime by correcting mistakes from the past, the 3rd we picked up replaces the 4th we lost, the future 1st is a nice start on building next year. This offseason hasn't been about raising our talent level, it's been about fixing past screw ups and last night was a microcosm.

Adams made him. Thats what

I'm an LSU season ticket holder. For the last four years, I've watched Tre White grow into the player he is today.

You're downright stupid and don't follow LSU football if you think Jamal Adams made Tre White. If you ask Jamal, he will tell you that Tre White helped make him the player he was, hint why Tre White was voted by his teammates to be the first Tiger to wear #18 for his team for both his junior and senior year.

You never had to worry about White's side of the field, and neither was Adams. Jamal Adams spent most of his time backing up younger corners like Donte Jackson and Kevin Toliver.

While showing signs at times, he struggled a bit during his freshman and sophomore seasons. But a lot of that had to do with changing defensive coordinators 3 times from John Chavis to Kevin Steele. Then for his senior year he had Dave Aranda as his defensive coordinator.

Edited by CajunBillsBacker

I'm an LSU season ticket holder. For the last four years, I've watched Tre White grow into the player he is today.

You're downright stupid and don't follow LSU football if you think Jamal Adams made Tre White. If you ask Jamal, he will tell you that Tre White helped make him the player he was, hint why Tre White was voted by his teammates to be the first Tiger to wear #18 for his team for both his junior and senior year.

You never had to worry about White's side of the field, and neither was Adams. Jamal Adams spent most of his time backing up younger corners like Donte Jackson and Kevin Toliver.

Wrong, guy, Bobby was responding to someone else. He likes the pick.

Wearing 18 twice is the most impressive thing to me. I'm not sure if people fully understand what 18 means. It is basically like getting the "C" in hockey but instead of 20 or so guys you have 100+. He wore it for half of his career. That says all that you need to know about Tre White. He can play and is a really clean prospect.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

To the Gilmore guys blowing up this thread, he didn't deserve top 5 corner money. Gilmore is good but not great. Also, he doesn't fit into McDermott's scheme. Sean needs corners who can play mostly zone with some man and press mixed in there, and he needs tough corners who can come up and play the run. Gilmore is all bump and run and he stinks in run support.

We just picked a durable corner who started all four years only missing a couple games. He is a smart leader and some experts say was the second highest rated CB in the draft. He can return punts, was a two year captain (wearing #18 for LSU is a big deal) and he can play inside/outside and man or zone. I love the pick. Oh, and we picked up another 3rd and 1st? That's what the pats and good teams have done for years.

Edited by gatorbait

Watch:Bills Trade Down, Draft Tre'Davious White (2:27)

The Bills traded down in the 1st round of the 2017 NFL Draft and addressed a need with the selection of Cornerback Tre'Davious White out of LSU.

@StillTalkinTV

Top 10 opinions on NFL draft coverage: https://t.co/KrtcdqdMvs

ESPN analyst Louis Riddick and NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, who are the experts most worth listening to, applauded the Buffalo Bills choice of LSU cornerback Tre' Davious White with the 27th pick of the draft.

Riddick, who is the brother of former Bill Robb Riddick and my favorite ESPN analyst, had the highest praise: He said White would have been the first corner he would have taken in the draft. That was saying something since Ohio State's Marshon Lattimore was the No. 11 pick by New Orleans, Alabama corner Marlon Humphrey was the 16th pick by Baltimore, USC's Adoree' Jackson was No. 18 by Tennessee and Ohio State's Gareon Conley was picked No. 24 by Oakland.

Mayock said of White: "He is not flashy, he's not sexy but he is one of the most solid corners in this draft."

Now that I have had time to let this sink in I have come to the following conclusion...

I like this pick. The problem with me is I have never thought of drafting a CB to be a sexy pick like it would be if we took a WR or TE this year.

He is a solid player that fills a huge need for the Bills.

I am happy with this pick

CBF

I really don't get the whole 'I'm pissed they took a CB after letting Gilmore go'. WTF did you think they would do, ignore the position because it was now a glaring hole (and instead draft a TE at #10 when we already have an $8M/yr guy at that position)?

They got a CB for much cheaper than Lattimore and they got the two extra picks.

Yeah, this is about right even though it feels all too familiar for us. You do need corners, and that's not debatable. I have no opinion on the player because I know absolutely nothing about him.

Let your top CB walk because it's not important in this scheme. So then you use your 1st round pick on one? Wow stupid

Where do people come up with this stuff? We didn't let Gilmore go because CB isn't important to McDermott's scheme - Josh Norman anyone? - we let him go because he's being paid like a top 5 CB and he's not even a top 10 CB. Letting an overpriced free agent go and drafting his replacement while still picking up extra picks, this is a move anyone should love. Pending White's play obviously, but for now nothing to dislike about this trade.

Where do people come up with this stuff? We didn't let Gilmore go because CB isn't important to McDermott's scheme - Josh Norman anyone? - we let him go because he's being paid like a top 5 CB and he's not even a top 10 CB. Letting an overpriced free agent go and drafting his replacement while still picking up extra picks, this is a move anyone should love. Pending White's play obviously, but for now nothing to dislike about this trade.

Well said

CBF

Bottom line with selecting a CB with yet another 1st round pick...A team normally carries 5 CB's. If they didn't SUCK at drafting, there would have been someone behind Gilmore ready to move up the depth chart...especially in the new HC scheme that allegedly doesn't require great CB play.

There is something behind Gilmore: Seymour and Darby.

I think I figured put why I'm disgruntled. I don't mind having White. He looks like a good fit for the system. It fills a hole, and he should be able to compete immediately and likely win the starting job.

The problem is, that's what you say about the second and third round pick. We made a conscious choice to move out of the range of high impact players for a good player.

I'm not saying it's the wrong choice, it's just that White looks like a second round pick that we took at the back of the first.

He had some 1st round grades, but regardless, that was part of the reason for the trade. And as others have said, it's what the pats usually do.

Better to have a few very good players instead of one great player.

Sully - lol, just the guys general demeanor...

It's the Sully Sulk. He shows it when he has nothing to complain about.

Another wasted draft pick for the Bills. That was the most uneventful pick of the entire night.

NFLN was speechless other than Mayock who was trying to be polite and talk a little bit calling him solid which isn't much of a complement for a 1st round draft pick while the rest of them just sat their silent with nothing to say about him.

Can't wait for the usual Bills spin saying he was a top 10 pick on their board or the top rated CB on their board, etc. The usual made up bs they try to sell us fans.

The only thing that could even partially make me feel better at this point would be the Pegulas cleaning house completely in the next few days.

If you mean Whaley I wouldn't bet the kid's college fund on that.

As for the pick and the trade, every draft pundit gave the Bills high praise, including Mayock.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So, I'm not generally negative, and I love the pick of CB, and I usually trust us to draft good talent (the coaching is often a different story). However, something that's been on my mind for a while now, and has worried me for the past few years, is this: Our defense doesn't seem to be able to tackle well. Three years ago, we had the 4th best defense in the league, and we were one game against Brady and a few games of solid tackling away from 1st. What I feel with this pick, which I can't seem to shake, is that teams can continue to run towards Gilmore's side and still plow through the CB.

...Of course, White seems to be a great cover CB, who is polished and has great instincts for locating the ball. We essentially have two Darbys now, and you can't get much better in man-to-man coverage than that. With Micah Hyde over top, we are going to be turnover machines. In that respect, I'm super-excited. I feel like, with one solid, nearly can't-miss pick, we have made our starting defensive backfield a strength again. We need depth and maybe a linebacker on defense, but other than that, we have some really nice talent on that side of the ball again, and with McDermott's simplified, aggressive scheme, we should be back to where we were.

Edited by BringBackFlutie