RD 1, Pick 27: Tre'Davious White (CB) - LSU

SDS

The stupid part is not taking a stud like Foster at 27. It's not stupid to take a much less expensive replacement for the next 4-5 years vs overpaying Gilmore. I have zero issue with that. I don't see white as a difference maker and could have had a good DB in the 2nd round. Hated seeing a rookie GM like Lynch promptly move up for Foster. That about says it all.

Foster doesn't fit what McD''s is looking for, as far as his personality /leadership, plus injuries, especially in the first round!

McD has stressed how important that is , and White was the main Captain on LSU.. Started 4 years, played superb in 3 of them.

As far as him not being a difference maker? Again I couldn't disagree more. I think he fits the scheme like a glove. If it's strictly in the slot, then so be it, we are in nickel over 60% of the time.

NE makes a living off attacking the slot. Just think about how many big plays came from attacking our slot.

I think Micha Hyde being on the team as well, shows that McD values leaders and versatility, and those two, on the same side could be a helluva nightmare for opposite qbs.

And a 3rd is extra valuable in such a deep draft. Plus the 1st! We win, clearly.

This scouting report video is interesting. The guy likes him for covering the slot, but feels he lacks the "explosiveness" to cover wideouts. The video shows how his lack of explosiveness can be exploited (at around 4:30)....

Basically talks about him like he's one of, if not the best cb in the draft. Besides the playing outside part, which really bothers him.

That Amari Cooper story is dope too. I think we got a helluva player.

can play outside on an island and inside as a nickle...love to see him lined up against Edlemann.

I feel he was a wonderful chess piece to add to out defense versus the Pats.

He even got described as moving like Edelman

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure he's a good player, although the lack of explosiveness bothers me (he doesn't seem to have much of a second gear) and he definitely needs to get stronger from the looks of things.

But from a team-building standpoint I question the pick. I'm fine with trading down but they continue to lack a solid strategy for collecting assets with limited resources. In a corner-heavy draft, and with this defense, there was no reason to use a high pick on a player who plays so far away from the ball.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

So in the last 16 years we've drafted 9 players in the early rounds who represent roughly 30-45% of the defense that's on the field at any given time.

OK, that's cool. Is that really an issue? I imagine most teams have drafted that many defensive backs. All teams need to draft a ton of defensive backs.

You are right. Why stop doing something that has worked so well? Let's keep drafting first round defensive backs and NEVER make the playoffs, right?

Next year we can draft another one AND a running back!

One of the best cover corners in the draft.

The problem is Doug Whaley set up the draft board and a rookie defensive head coach made his picks off it.

Last night I had flashbacks of Dick Jauron grabbing players for a few years to fit his Tampa 2 defense.

Please post your reaction here...

replacement for Gilmore. ho hum. they done this many times before. Winfield, Whitner, on and on. White for Gilmore. Downgrade for 2017. But hey, they're in full restart mode, so go get the picks and reload. 3 more years of suck.

Managing a team is more than just "Is this player good"...you have to look at what you would be paying to keep a player and then what you can replace him with. Is Gilmore really worth $12 million/year more than this kid? Highly doubtful.

Bills add 2 more picks plus a good player on top of it. Can't say it is splashy, but these are the types of moves that are going to finally help us turn the corner. Just keep drafting good players...and trading back when you get the chance to darft more good players.

This^

The more I read about White, the happier I am. He is borderline with height but has long arms. One of the negatives is supposedly his tackling but I see he only missed 5 tackles last year. 4 year starter at LSU...valedictorian...high character guy.

I like what I see so far and solid moves by OBD.

Edited by Billsfansinceday1

hmmm....this sounds very Pats like....they must suck too.

My thought exactly.

Gilmore was "good" but also disappointing. Personally, I was surprised the Pats gave him the huge contract. White may not be flashy, but I think he could be more consistent that SG, cost significantly less and Bills get a 1st and 3rd.

Maybe they actually are using analytics now.

11:17 p.m. ET, April 27

Buffalo Bills

Round 1, pick No. 27: TreDavious White, CB, LSU

Bills steal PFFs No. 2 CB late in Round 1 after trade down

The Bills took a calculated risk earlier in the evening by moving down 17 spots with the Chiefs, and by our standards, that gamble paid off handsomely. White earned the highest overall and coverage grades in the draft class, as he gave up a completion percentage of just 42.6 into his primary coverage and defended a total of 14 passes. With the Bills losing Stephon Gilmore to the Patriots in free agency, cornerback was a huge need, and they locked up our second-highest rated prospect at the position. Josh Liskiewitz, @PFF_Josh

That made me feel good plus a extra 3rd and a 1st next year is great, well done Doug :thumbsup:

He's basically McKelvin, but with a brain and the ability to make plays on balls in the air. Sold.

Remember, we re-signed McKelvin too. A 1st round CB we didn't let walk because the market wasn't ridiculous for him. I could see the same happening with White which would make this pick even more valuable.

Thanks for laying that out differently. I agree with the premise.

A quick revision though... we could have released Tyrod, kept Gilmore, made the signings you mentioned and drafted Mahomes or Watson at 10. I'm not saying that it's definitely a better option. You certainly have more players and perceived value... but if either become franchise QB's that's the better play 100%.

Sure we could do that. That way we'd be in the running for 1st pick overall and risk ruining that QB by playing them too soon.