RD 1, Pick 27: Tre'Davious White (CB) - LSU

SDS

I had to come back and find this. This makes me cry every time.

We are stuck in the mud because we turned our 10th overall into a starting corner and a 1st round pick the following year?

Having 2 first rounders next year does NOT sound like being "stuck in the mud" it sounds like forward thinking which is refreshing doncha think? We also had 5 other picks in this draft.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are stuck in the mud because we turned our 10th overall into a starting corner and a 1st round pick the following year?

Having 2 first rounders next year does NOT sound like being "stuck in the mud" it sounds like forward thinking which is refreshing doncha think? We also had 5 other picks in this draft.

no. We are stuck in the mud because we let a 1st round draft pick go to replace him with an unknown

The poster didn't present his side very well but his stance on this issue has some merit.

Should a team draft first round defensive backs? Certainly, just as soon as said team has a very good quarterback, a deep, solid OL, and top pass rushing defensive ends, and only then if they feel that a particular db is the bpa.

Are you telling me that you cannot see that draft picks such as Whitner, Gilmore and McKelvin have seriously injured this franchise? Is that what you think? It started before this too. When Thurman, Kelly, Bruce, and Reed were getting old, Levy and co. were busy drafting first round defensive backs. This was the beginning of the mess we are in and it has not changed no matter who is in charge.

Tell me, what makes drafting the 5th or 6th rated corner this year any different? The 2018 first round pick? Sure, that makes this pick more palatable, but odds are this pick will be used on another defensive back or a running back because this is what the Bills do. That and lose football games.

There is good news. We got rid of Whaley and Rex. If these guys were in charge for 10 years we would lose for 10 years. Lets hope that the new crew will learn from the idiotic, inexcusable mistakes of the past and know how to properly build an NFL football team.

I don't believe the bolded is correct. Great cornerbacks are every bit as essential as offensive and defensive linemen. That is borne out by the salaries the best ones are paid and the fact that 20 CBs have been drafted in the first round in the past four drafts. I don't believe good teams can afford to operate the way you suggest--they are always looking for the best available player, although need certainly is part of the equation.

It's true that the Bills have had some lousy DB picks in the first round--Whitner is the one that stands out, and McKelvin wasn't a great pick either, especially when Ryan Clady was available with the next pick. (Go back and look at that 2008 first round--littered with busts, at pretty much every position.) But that was a decade, and at least two front offices, ago. I totally agree with you regarding using first round picks on RBs, but the CJ Spiller pick was eight years ago and the Bills haven't used a high pick on RB since then. So that's not "what the Bills do".

Were you in favor of franchising Gilmore, or extending him for more than the Pats offered him? If not, how can you really argue with the 3D White pick? How badly do you think the Bills' defense would be shredded this season with Seymore and Darby as their top two CBs? White was extremely productive at the highest level of CFB, a four-year starter and team captain at LSU, with a clean medical history. His bust factor is very low and it's likely he will step right in and play at a pretty high level. And he's a very good punt returner, which is also a need. I have to be honest, I probably would have preferred Njoku or Taco Charlton at that spot, but I've got no problem with what the Bills did, especially while acquiring the extra first next year.

Edited by mannc

no. We are stuck in the mud because we let a 1st round draft pick go to replace him with an unknown

We didn't let Gilmore go, Gilmore priced his way out of Buffalo. Corners are getting paid an absurd price, and while I think Gilmore was better than most gave him credit for, but if you think breaking the bank on a CB would have made sense.

The Patriots could make that move because they have franchise stability. They have a winning culture with a QB in place.

We have to roster build, and to me, I'm taking the technician out of college at a far reduced rate that comes along with a first to help us get our own franchise QB.

We didn't let Gilmore go, Gilmore priced his way out of Buffalo. Corners are getting paid an absurd price, and while I think Gilmore was better than most gave him credit for, but if you think breaking the bank on a CB would have made sense.

The Patriots could make that move because they have franchise stability. They have a winning culture with a QB in place.

We have to roster build, and to me, I'm taking the technician out of college at a far reduced rate that comes along with a first to help us get our own franchise QB.

what roster do we really need to build?

Hindsight is 20/20 but that's all we had. We were not targettinf any FA's. We had the money to spend upfront. Gilmore would not have cost us any players we brought in or retained.

Gilmore would have simply been signed at a higher price upfront and could have done so much earlier than this off season. IT is stratgetic planning, what we lack.

Right now we have to look at Watkins. By the actions of the team we seem to appear certain on keeping him because we will pay for it. By not 5th yr'in him we can negotiate a longer term deal that is much more cap friendly and to our advantage long term.

The same situation is going to come up on Preston brown, in which we need to recognize that he is worth signing as a depth player and a 3 yr deal makes more sense earlier than later.

Your decision that the patriots are a winning franchise and we can't do what they do keeps us where we are.

We did it right with Glenn and incognito. With Dareus and Aaron Williams. But we proved pretenders in the gillislee, hogan, Searcy, levitre, and so on with decision making

Its the draft....they are ALL unknowns

At one time Gilmore was also a unknown.

I fail to see your point

what roster do we really need to build?

Hindsight is 20/20 but that's all we had. We were not targettinf any FA's. We had the money to spend upfront. Gilmore would not have cost us any players we brought in or retained.

Gilmore would have simply been signed at a higher price upfront and could have done so much earlier than this off season. IT is stratgetic planning, what we lack.

Right now we have to look at Watkins. By the actions of the team we seem to appear certain on keeping him because we will pay for it. By not 5th yr'in him we can negotiate a longer term deal that is much more cap friendly and to our advantage long term.

The same situation is going to come up on Preston brown, in which we need to recognize that he is worth signing as a depth player and a 3 yr deal makes more sense earlier than later.

Your decision that the patriots are a winning franchise and we can't do what they do keeps us where we are.

We did it right with Glenn and incognito. With Dareus and Aaron Williams. But we proved pretenders in the gillislee, hogan, Searcy, levitre, and so on with decision making

I fail to see your point

You stated that we replaced Gilmore with an unknown.....I am simply pointing out that there was a time when Gilmore was a 1st rounder (and a much higher one) and he was also a unknown when he was drafted.

But I fail to see how that is "spinning our wheels" when we also got a 1st round pick out of the deal.

You stated that we replaced Gilmore with an unknown.....I am simply pointing out that there was a time when Gilmore was a 1st rounder (and a much higher one) and he was also a unknown when he was drafted.

But I fail to see how that is "spinning our wheels" when we also got a 1st round pick out of the deal.

Gilmore wasn't an unknown player in 2017. Gilmore and a different player at #27 and an extra 1st is probably better than White and an extra first.

Edited by jmc12290

Replacing players lost to free agency is part of the food chain in the NFL. You are simply never ever going to keep every player who hits free agency. You have to judge who is replaceable and who isn't. Was Gilmore irreplaceable?

@spotrac

By trading down from #10 to #27 to select CB Tre'Davious White ($1.82M) the #Bills saved $1.15M in 2017 cap. http://bit.ly/1KyP0Q4

I have a hard time keeping up

WIll people cry because we replaced Gilmore's huge salary demands with an unknown

or

Will people be happy with the bills cap management where we we suck but we actually saved money in the trade down

I have a hard time keeping up

WIll people cry because we replaced Gilmore's huge salary demands with an unknown

or

Will people be happy with the bills cap management where we we suck but we actually saved money in the trade down

Both!