if no QB is taken in the top 9... do you?

A) Trade back with a team that wants a QB and knows that the Saints/Browns are likely to go that route. My guess is Arizona would probably want to move up 3 spots to get the guy they want, but other teams are also in play here. Moving down you will gain more picks however you could potentially lose "the guy" you have at the top of your board. No matter how you slice it, itʻs a gamble.

B) Take the top QB in the draft. There is value at #10 to get first crack at "guessing" the right QB in this draft. The last time a QB did not go in the top ten believe it or not was EJ Manuel and we ended up taking him at #16 (which did not pan out). However since 2008 here are who and where the top 2 QBʻs went in each draft...

2008 - Matt Ryan (3) Flacco (18)

2009 - Matt Stafford (1) Sanchez (5)

2010 - Sam Bradford (1) Tim Tebow (25)

2011 - Cam Newton (1) Jake Locker (8)

2012 - Andrew Luck (1) RG3 (2)

2013 - EJ Manuel (16) Geno Smith (39)

2014 - Blake Bortles (3) Johny Manziel (22)

2015 - Jameis Winston (1) Marcus Mariota (2)

2016 - Jared Goff (1) Carson Wentz (2)

C) Fill other needs and let the QBʻs continue to tumble down the draft. Get the guy we want, and move on.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trade back because I'm not a big fan of any of these guys, but if the FO takes one, I'm all in with hope that we found our franchise qb. I like Maholmes and Watson the most. I think Watson has the highest floor and maholmes has the highest ceiling.

Edited by NewEra

A) Trade back with a team that wants a QB and knows that the Saints/Browns are likely to go that route. My guess is Arizona would probably want to move up 3 spots to get the guy they want, but other teams are also in play here. Moving down you will gain more picks however you could potentially lose "the guy" you have at the top of your board. No matter how you slice it, itʻs a gamble.

B) Take the top QB in the draft. There is value at #10 to get first crack at "guessing" the right QB in this draft. The last time a QB did not go in the top ten believe it or not was EJ Manuel and we ended up taking him at #16 (which did not pan out). However since 2008 here are who and where the top 2 QBʻs went in each draft...

2008 - Matt Ryan (3) Flacco (18)

2009 - Matt Stafford (1) Sanchez (5)

2010 - Sam Bradford (1) Tim Tebow (25)

2011 - Cam Newton (1) Jake Locker (8)

2012 - Andrew Luck (1) RG3 (2)

2013 - EJ Manuel (16) Geno Smith (39)

2014 - Blake Bortles (3) Johny Manziel (22)

2015 - Jameis Winston (1) Marcus Mariota (2)

2016 - Jared Goff (1) Carson Wentz (2)

C) Fill other needs and let the QBʻs continue to tumble down the draft. Get the guy we want, and move on.

If all QB's are on board and we select another player/ trade down, Whaley and our scouts better hope no QB turns into a franchise player, it will only cement what most of us already know about Whaley.

constantly putting off drafting the QB of the future is what has us in this mess.

bite the bullet....keep addressing the QB position until you get it right.......and not with late round picks.

cardale jones is NOT that guy.

do you allocate top resources in a guy who will touch the ball 60 times a game (QB) or someone who will have 5 touches (WR)

Problem is EVERYBODY wants to trade back. Finding a team to do that is not going to be easy.

Isn't that what the OP suggested...He found at least 2 QB needy teams that might be trading partners...What is the problem with that.

If Cleveland trades 12 for Garrapolo then nobody will want a QB that badly to trade up. If Bears or Jets like any of these guys then they will be off the board. If not then that is very telling about how teams feel about this QB group

What amazes me is seeing how few First Round QBs have actually panned out since 2008. Talk about a roll of the dice! If you discount the last two years where the guys are too young to know yet, you're lucky to get even ONE guy per season. So it's a 50:50 shot at the very best.

Depends who exactly is left on the board, but most likely try to trade back.

All of the QBs I would consider successful, save 1 (Flacco), that you listed went 3rd overall or higher, and for a reason. We aren't picking top 3.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Well yeah, who doesn't want to trade back and get a similar level prospect plus get more picks? I want one of Hooker / Adams / Thomas and maybe Foster but that likely isn't happening, absent that, I'd really like to move down, acquire capital, take the last one of Williams / Davis / Ross on the board, be able to move back into round 1 with our 2nd + some of the capital we get from the move down, take Mahomes, then go all defense the rest of the draft.

I don't know if the team has given any of them a 1st round grade. If so, sure, take that guy. But I think that's questionable at this point based on what I've seen in the media.

I certainly wouldn't reach for any of them.

Edited by YoloinOhio