if no QB is taken in the top 9... do you?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that that's how you've evaluated it, but I do my own evaluations. My highest graded QB this year is 6 points lower than the grade I had on Carr. I do not see a Derek Carr in this class. I also do not see any QBs with no flaws coming out next year, but my preliminary evals give me much higher hopes than this year's class.

If we pass on QB at ten I have no faith that we get a top QB next year. Trusting in a QB class assumes that other teams will just let you have your guy next year. I see us as deliberately putting ourselves in QB purgatory as we refuse to rebuild, we are trying to win just enough games to miss out on a top 5 pick.

If we pass on QB at ten I have no faith that we get a top QB next year. Trusting in a QB class assumes that other teams will just let you have your guy next year. I see us as deliberately putting ourselves in QB purgatory as we refuse to rebuild, we are trying to win just enough games to miss out on a top 5 pick.

And I don't see a QB worth a top 20 pick, let alone a top 10. It's okay, I promise. Our evaluations can differ.

And I don't see a QB worth a top 20 pick, let alone a top 10. It's okay, I promise. Our evaluations can differ.

I'm not worried about your evaluations. I'm worried that the same crew at One Bills Drive that have managed to screw up getting a QB will continue to do so.

You still hold a certain love for EJ and resentment towards Tyrod that is kind of weird. You went from constantly defending a guy that did nothing because he wasn't given a fair shake to constantly criticizing a guy that is pretty good.

In terms of the guys that you mentioned, I have posted on here the likelihood of finding a franchise QB after the top 3. I need to find it but it is like 1 out of 10 or less. (It looks like 1 out of 16 but I can't find the original): http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191863-to-qb-or-to-not-qb/?p=4234531

Just to refresh everyone's memories here are the guys that teams picked (outside of the top 3) in the 1st 2 rounds since 2006: Cutler, Kellen Clemens, Tavares Jackson, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Brohm, Henne, Sanchez, Freeman, Pat White, Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, RG3, Tannehill, Weeden, Osweiler, EJ, Geno, Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Jimmy G, Goff, Wentz, Lynch and Hackenberg.

We all need to stop talking about Dak, Wilson and Brady like it is the norm. Franchise QBs are found in the top 3, the numbers don't lie. You don't need to just take guys to take them.

Well since you and me have a wager on EJ, we won't get into all that now. But:

1) I have zero resent towards Tyrod. I think he seems like a great guy and does some things I really like. I just think he is an average at best NFL qb. But no hate at all.

2) Tyrod developed as well as any qb could be developed. He didn't have the pressure of playing right away or being called a bust. He got drafted by one of the best franchises in the NFL & sat behind a SB winning qb. Perfect.

EJ had the exact opposite of that.

3) I always favor bigger qbs. If Tyrod was EJ's size, I'd be more of a fan.

4) Tyrod was a 57% passer in college. I believe Clay is a very good receiving TE. Tyrod's inability to see and make certain throws goes back to college. Is he going to suddenly improve on this in year 7 in the NFL?

In short, TT is what he is I believe. I would love for him to be a great qb for us but I don't see it. On his best days, he is a flashier version of Alex Smith. I also hate double standards. Some posters make a ton of excuses for Tyrod's struggles in the passing game when they would just rip EJ and JP for the same thing.

But EJ is gone (and has a shot on a SB contender) so let's focus on TT. I just don't see the upside. Defenses gameplan to make him play like a qb. That's a problem. We also have a potential elite wr (who needs to stay healthy) would got very frustrated with Taylor last year. I'm sick of wasting playmakers.

So would I rather hope and pray the Bills make the playoffs with TT with a top 10 pick on a wr and a much improved defense or go with a guy like Watson and see what happens? I'm going Watson all day. He doesn't take the safe play. He tries to win.

Bottom line, we are most likely going 7-9 or 8-8 with Taylor. While then we just screwed ourselves for this supposedly great qb class next year. And the Bills cycle of nothing continues to spin. Good times.

B.

The pick should be Watson and if we do not take him it will be a major regret for years to come. The guy is a winner with a good head on his shoulders. Plain and simple.

But there will be a better guy next year and we'll get him! I promise!

I'm not worried about your evaluations. I'm worried that the same crew at One Bills Drive that have managed to screw up getting a QB will continue to do so.

So basically what you're getting at is that you believe your man-crush on Mahomes is a better evaluation than whatever the people paid to evaluate at One Bills Drive will come up with?

So basically what you're getting at is that you believe your man-crush on Mahomes is a better evaluation than whatever the people paid to evaluate at One Bills Drive will come up with?

Yes, the classic don't share your opinion that differs from Bills fan groupthink unless you are paid by an NFL team.

An oldie but goodie.

Yes, the classic don't share your opinion that differs from Bills fan groupthink unless you are paid by an NFL team.

An oldie but goodie.

You've shared your opinion plenty, and it's clear you disagree with them on many things, which you've also shared plenty. How many times do you want to share how if they don't take Mahomes at 10 they are completely clueless before the draft even happens?

You've shared your opinion plenty, and it's clear you disagree with them on many things, which you've also shared plenty. How many times do you want to share how if they don't take Mahomes at 10 they are completely clueless before the draft even happens?

It's not just Mahomes. There is also Trubisky.

Defending the front office with the they are professionals line has been trotted out to defend Marv Levy as GM, Dick Jauron, Doug Whaley as GM, Chan Gailey, etc

Good to see continuity.

Edited by jeffismagic

It would seem, from what has been widely reported, that the chances of any of the QBs in this draft developing into a top ten talent are remote, and there is even little consensus on who the top prospect is. It would be pretty surprising if Whaley/McD took one in the first round without trading down. If they did, there would be an avalanche of criticism in the likely event that such a prospect does not pan out. (Not that it matters.)

Personally, I would be happy if they traded down for a QB, and not mad if they go for one at #10. But, there are plenty of other needs to be met, with far less risk.

Me personally I stick to my guns and draft Watson. But it really depends how you feel about each of these QBs.

If Doug Whaley needs a sign from above to get the right QB from this draft it's his own initials DW.

DW to draft DW, right on

If the QBs have no flaws you aren't getting them on a trade up. This QB class is probably a 2014. If we get to grab Derek Carr in a "poor" draft class that is better than a JP Losman in an amazing QB class.

It is also a good idea to grab a Tom Brady. The problem that you are ignoring is that MAYBE 1 of these guys will be the franchise guy. Maybe 1 gets to Tyrod's level and 2 flame out. If 3 out of 4 would be an upgrade, go for it!! No one knows which guy it will be. Carr was the 4th QB taken.

Well since you and me have a wager on EJ, we won't get into all that now. But:

1) I have zero resent towards Tyrod. I think he seems like a great guy and does some things I really like. I just think he is an average at best NFL qb. But no hate at all.

2) Tyrod developed as well as any qb could be developed. He didn't have the pressure of playing right away or being called a bust. He got drafted by one of the best franchises in the NFL & sat behind a SB winning qb. Perfect.

EJ had the exact opposite of that.

3) I always favor bigger qbs. If Tyrod was EJ's size, I'd be more of a fan.

4) Tyrod was a 57% passer in college. I believe Clay is a very good receiving TE. Tyrod's inability to see and make certain throws goes back to college. Is he going to suddenly improve on this in year 7 in the NFL?

In short, TT is what he is I believe. I would love for him to be a great qb for us but I don't see it. On his best days, he is a flashier version of Alex Smith. I also hate double standards. Some posters make a ton of excuses for Tyrod's struggles in the passing game when they would just rip EJ and JP for the same thing.

But EJ is gone (and has a shot on a SB contender) so let's focus on TT. I just don't see the upside. Defenses gameplan to make him play like a qb. That's a problem. We also have a potential elite wr (who needs to stay healthy) would got very frustrated with Taylor last year. I'm sick of wasting playmakers.

So would I rather hope and pray the Bills make the playoffs with TT with a top 10 pick on a wr and a much improved defense or go with a guy like Watson and see what happens? I'm going Watson all day. He doesn't take the safe play. He tries to win.

Bottom line, we are most likely going 7-9 or 8-8 with Taylor. While then we just screwed ourselves for this supposedly great qb class next year. And the Bills cycle of nothing continues to spin. Good times.

A few things, the best games of Tyrod's career were in November and late December. I don't understand how we can say there isn't improvement when his most recent game is his best?

It isn't a double standard either. EJ and JP got ripped because they didn't do anything well. Tyrod has a winning record. He isn't perfect but he does enough well that he gets a little more slack than those stiffs (you can throw Trenative in there too). We gave Fitz some slack for the same reason. Pretty good guys and terrible QBs shouldn't be treated the same way.

I've posted it on here 1,000 times but over the last 2 years he has been similar to Dalton, better than Tannehill, Smith and Flacco. Again, that isn't great QB play but there was never a time (since at least Bledsoe) where we were getting middle of the road production from a QB.

To be clear, I am okay moving on if I saw someone better. I think, at best, one of these guys ends up a better QB than TT. If I knew which one it would be I would pull the trigger. In hindsight, I would have grabbed Dak at 19 and never looked back.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's not just Mahomes. There is also Trubisky.

Defending the front office with the they are professionals line has been trotted out to defend Marv Levy as GM, Dick Jauron, Doug Whaley as GM, Chan Gailey, etc

Good to see continuity.

I'm not defending the organization. I have no idea what their board looks like, and neither do you. You are just complaining about what you think it looks like, how it differs from your amateur assessment, and how you think it will ruin the team long term. And you repeat this process about the draft ad nauseam.

It is also a good idea to grab a Tom Brady. The problem that you are ignoring is that MAYBE 1 of these guys will be the franchise guy. Maybe 1 gets to Tyrod's level and 2 flame out. If 3 out of 4 would be an upgrade, go for it!! No one knows which guy it will be. Carr was the 4th QB taken.

A few things, the best games of Tyrod's career were in November and late December. I don't understand how we can say there isn't improvement when his most recent game is his best?

It isn't a double standard either. EJ and JP got ripped because they didn't do anything wel. Tyrod has a winning record. He isn't perfect but he does enough well that he gets a little more slack than those stiffs (you can throw Trenative in there too). We gave Fitz some slack for the same reason. Pretty good guys and terrible QBs shouldn't be treated the same way.

I've posted it on here 1,000 times but over the last 2 years he has been similar to Dalton, better than Tannehill, Smith and Flacco. Again, that isn't rite QB play but there was never a time (since at least Bledsoe) where we were getting middle of the road production from a QB.

To be clear, I am okay moving on if I saw someone better. I think, at best, one of these guys ends up a better QB than TT. If I knew which one it would be I would pull the trigger. In hindsight, I would have grabbed Dak at 19 and never looked back.

There are QBs with far higher upside than Taylor in this draft. You might not be sure they will get there but you can't tell me no one can be better than Tyrod.

The 2014 QB class had people complaining about it and one QB was franchise and another, Bridgewater, seemed on his way to decent starter. Bortles is a bottom 5 starter and one disaster in Manziel. This QB class also has 4 guys people can discuss like that one.

There are QBs with far higher upside than Taylor in this draft. You might not be sure they will get there but you can't tell me no one can be better than Tyrod.

The 2014 QB class had people complaining about it and one QB was franchise and another, Bridgewater, seemed on his way to decent starter. Bortles is a bottom 5 starter and one disaster in Manziel. This QB class also has 4 guys people can discuss like that one.

They say that Trubisky's upside is Dalton. Over the last 2 years he has 3 more TDs and 3 more INTs than Tyrod. He has done that with AJ Green (and one year with Jones and Sanu too). If that is his ceiling why is it a good idea?

The numbers support this. Again, you can dig through all threads but I went all of the way back to 2002 and looked at every QB drafted. Outside of the top 3 picks it's under a 10% hit ratio.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

If there is a chance to trade back with Cleveland to #12, I'd do that and be happy taking the 2nd QB off the board (If they take Watson, I take Trubisky and vice versa).

But I'm not totally against sitting at #10 and taking the 1st QB. It would at least show this current administration is serious about changing this team's history and getting serious about addressing QB.

Please say April Fool's!

:death:

We agree!!

They say that Trubisky's upside is Dalton. Over the last 2 years he has 3 more TDs and 3 more INTs than Tyrod. He has done that with AJ Green (and one year with Jones and Sanu too). If that is his ceiling why is it a good idea?

The numbers support this. Again, you can dig through all threads but I went all of the way back to 2002 and looked at every QB drafted. Outside of the top 3 picks it's under a 10% hit ratio.

The person I call in my network told me Trubisky's upside is Matt Ryan. Not a top 5 QB but can slice people up bad with weapons and the right system.

I pull the trigger on Mitch Trubisky and hope for the best. If he busts he busts.

i'm thinking with all the additions they have been making at other positions, maybe they are setting themselves up for the possible scenario of trubisky there at 10.

if the jets go qb, i bet it's watson. i suppose obd could be filling other positions now so they can take a receiver at 10 and /or be faced with trubisky being there and not having good enough offers. maybe they are setting themselves up to be able to live with either choice.

Like anything in scouting, there are different perceptions. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl-draft-depth-talent-prospects-notebook

I’ll be shocked if Trubisky’s not the first one off the board,” said our AFC exec. A scout for another AFC team added, “You’re gonna see the ascension of the Carolina quarterback. He’s the guy, a top-two or -three pick. He’s the guy. A lot of teams like him up there.”

So here’s the question: Are you comfortable taking an Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater in the top five? The truth is, Trubisky’s promise is in offering a team stability—but not necessarily superstardom—at the most important position.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl-draft-depth-talent-prospects-notebook

Peter King is a great writer but the answer to his question is NO, you do not draft a QB top 5 who tops out at Dalton or Bridgewater. Now I have seen the Bridgewater comparison but do you honestly believe an NFL team would spend a top 5 pick to draft a guy who THEY thought at best could be Dalton? Someone is off here and I suspect it's King and his assessment.

Ill be shocked if Trubiskys not the first one off the board, said our AFC exec. A scout for another AFC team added, Youre gonna see the ascension of the Carolina quarterback. Hes the guy, a top-two or -three pick. Hes the guy. A lot of teams like him up there.

So heres the question: Are you comfortable taking an Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater in the top five? The truth is, Trubiskys promise is in offering a team stabilitybut not necessarily superstardomat the most important position.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl-draft-depth-talent-prospects-notebook

Peter King is a great writer but the answer to his question is NO, you do not draft a QB top 5 who tops out at Dalton or Bridgewater. Now I have seen the Bridgewater comparison but do you honestly believe an NFL team would spend a top 5 pick to draft a guy who THEY thought at best could be Dalton? Someone is off here and I suspect it's King and his assessment.

I absolutely think a team would draft that. It's hard t find good QB play. Dalton would be, without question, the best QB that the Browns have had since they came back in the league. He'd be better than any Jags QB since Brunell. What a QB like that does is gives you a chance. There are QBs that you can win with but don't win because of (we have one). Tyrod, Tannehill, Smith, Dalton, Bridgewater (at this point) and maybe 1 or 2 others. You take chances to upgrade from there but you don't go laterally. If you look though at how many QBs have come and gone in the last decade that were lesser QBs than Dalton you'd sign up for that. I listed the QBs drafted in the 1st 2 rounds (after pick 3) since 2006. Dalton is probably only behind Carr and maybe Flacco.

another thought: for those on the "wait til next year" for a QB train. The only way you guarantee the top choice at a QB is to draft at #1. Any spot after that you are at the mercy of the teams in front of you.

not saying the strategy shouldn't be done, just something you need to account for since in this example at 10 you have first crack at a QB.

another thought: for those on the "wait til next year" for a QB train. The only way you guarantee the top choice at a QB is to draft at #1. Any spot after that you are at the mercy of the teams in front of you.

not saying the strategy shouldn't be done, just something you need to account for since in this example at 10 you have first crack at a QB.

If you want a QB that you absolutely want and you know that he will not be there when you pick, then you trade up to get that pick.

If you have to mortgage future picks.....so be it.

That's what the Rams & Eagles did last year.

If you want a QB that you absolutely want and you know that he will not be there when you pick, then you trade up to get that pick.

The only reason why teams could trade up is because those QB's were not can't miss.

You want can't miss? Then those teams will not let you have those picks.

It isn't a double standard either. EJ and JP got ripped because they didn't do anything well. Tyrod has a winning record. He isn't perfect but he does enough well that he gets a little more slack than those stiffs (you can throw Trenative in there too). We gave Fitz some slack for the same reason. Pretty good guys and terrible QBs shouldn't be treated the same way.

I've posted it on here 1,000 times but over the last 2 years he has been similar to Dalton, better than Tannehill, Smith and Flacco. Again, that isn't great QB play but there was never a time (since at least Bledsoe) where we were getting middle of the road production from a QB.

People need to stop with the Dalton stuff. He has missed the playoffs once in his career. He lost his 2nd OC to a head coaching job (not fired), his 2nd and 3rd WRs, and had his all pro TE out for most the season (because you can throw the TE). In one of the worst years of his career, it was basically Tyrod's ceiling.

He also missed 4 games in 2015 where he was playing like an MVP candidate for a team that had a real shot at the SB. Do you think TT would ever come close to that?

one of the best things Tyrod does is not throw INTs. But when you are among the starters who threw the least amount of passes (TT's career high is lower than any season by Dalton minus the year he got hurt) and don't throw over the middle, what you really doing? I've said all along that Tyrod could have been better this year with much worse stats.

Kirby, I agree with you on a lot but you obviously believe in Taylor much more than I do. It's nothing personal. But this is a treading water type move. If Watson is there, I draft him and have an open competition.

P.S. I would argue that EJ's Game against the #2 defense in Carolina his rookie year was much more clutch than anything Tyrod has done. But that's a conversation for a different day. Enjoy your weekend. :)

Yup. And personally, I think Watson is better than both of those guys.

The only reason why teams could trade up is because those QB's were not can't miss.

THIS...

let's stay in the timeline I mentioned in the original post:

2008 - Matt Ryan (3) - NO CHANCE Atlanta trades that pick away (Dolphins and Rams at 1 and 2 wouldn't swap either cause they wanted Jake Long/Chris Long)

2009 - Matt Stafford (1) NO CHANCE Detroit gives up that pick when they needed a QB

2010 - Sam Bradford (1) same as above

2011 - Cam Newton (1) same as above

2012 - Andrew Luck (1) same as above

2013 - EJ Manuel (16) we traded up to get him, but was he really a "can't miss guy"?

2014 - Blake Bortles (3) we were at 4 that year

2015 - Jameis Winston (1) Marcus Mariota (2) - both teams were locked in at QB

2016 - Jared Goff (1) Carson Wentz (2) - same as above

...any of you draft experts see it as feasible to find a partner to trade down to the 20's, grab maybe a 2017 2nd as well as a 2018 1st?.....

I took a look about a week ago in another thread. I think the TENN option would be bad, but otherwise here's some trade value stuff including 2018 1st's:

Based entirely on the trade chart values:

1) TENN gives 1:18 (900) & 2018 1st (420) for 1320

BUF gives 1:10 (1300) & 5:27 (22.6) for 1322.6

Bills Picks: 1:18, 2:12, 3:11, 5:12, 6:11, TENN 2018 1st Round Pick

2) ATL gives 1:31 (600), 2:31 (276), & 2018 1st (420) for 1296

BUF gives 1:10 for 1300

Bills Picks: 1:31, 2:12, 2:31, 3:11, 5:12, 5:27, 6:11, ATL 2018 1st Round Pick

3) HOU gives 1:25 (720), 2018 1st (420), 3:25 (145), 4:23 (42) for 1327

BUF gives 1:10 (1300) & 5:12 (28.6) for 1328.6

Bills Picks: 1:25, 2:12, 3:11, 3:25, 4:23, 5:27, 6:11, HOU 2018 1st Round Pick

4) NYG gives 1:23 (760), 2018 1st (420), 3:23 (155) for 1335

BUF gives 1:10 (1300), 5:27 (22.6), & 6:11 (13) for 1335.6

Bills Picks: 1:23, 2:12, 3:11, 3:23, 5:12, NYG 2018 1st Round Pick

People need to stop with the Dalton stuff. He has missed the playoffs once in his career. He lost his 2nd OC to a head coaching job (not fired), his 2nd and 3rd WRs, and had his all pro TE out for most the season (because you can throw the TE). In one of the worst years of his career, it was basically Tyrod's ceiling.

He also missed 4 games in 2015 where he was playing like an MVP candidate for a team that had a real shot at the SB. Do you think TT would ever come close to that?

one of the best things Tyrod does is not throw INTs. But when you are among the starters who threw the least amount of passes (TT's career high is lower than any season by Dalton minus the year he got hurt) and don't throw over the middle, what you really doing? I've said all along that Tyrod could have been better this year with much worse stats.

Kirby, I agree with you on a lot but you obviously believe in Taylor much more than I do. It's nothing personal. But this is a treading water type move. If Watson is there, I draft him and have an open competition.

P.S. I would argue that EJ's Game against the #2 defense in Carolina his rookie year was much more clutch than anything Tyrod has done. But that's a conversation for a different day. Enjoy your weekend. :)

Nothing personal, you know I like you. We just don't see eye-to-eye on this and we never will. There is a lot of that on here. I hope regardless of what happens we win!! Have a great weekend too!!

I took a look about a week ago in another thread. I think the TENN option would be bad, but otherwise here's some trade value stuff including 2018 1st's:

...GREAT research and analysis job bud with my thanks....so we could move sown to a point and possibly grab another 1st in 2018.....like it.... :thumbsup:

I'm a huge proponent of drafting a QB every year, till you find ..the.. guy. But, with that said, there's almost zero chance that a rookie is going to outplay Tyrod. Opening up a competition for the starting QB spot, would just set this team back further. Draft a guy and let him develop.

Then you go to "Plan B", then "Plan C".

Yes, there is that one player that you really want, but you have to have a back-up plan as well.

You have to assess every player at every position that you need.