Chad Kelly: drafted by Denver

HOUSE

This could be a blessing in disguise for him. Rather than get forced to go to a team that drafts him in Rd6-7, he and his agent can find the best fit for him that will give him time to recover and develop. I wish him luck. If the Bills don't take a QB early (I think they will), then I'd have no problem with Chad being signed as a UDFA and put on IR or practice squad for a year.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would without a doubt take him with our final pick of this years draft. I highly doubt he WANTS to come here with the huge shadow of Jim looming over him, but idc what this kid wants. He will have more freedom to choose where he goes as an udfa, so if we want him we've got to spend a pick. If he has to sit out, good! That'll mean he is able to slowly learn what it's like to be an NFL QB and maybe even be humbled through the experience. His maturity being in question makes this an ideal circumstance to avoid further digging of his own grave. He's a late bloomer into adulthood, I hope we are the ones who are able to provide the guidance to turn him into a Man. IF and that's a big IF, he is able to turn it around for another team.. they essentially just found a potential Franchise QB (rare these days) without spending a top pick. For once I'd like to be that lucky as a team.

This could be a blessing in disguise for him. Rather than get forced to go to a team that drafts him in Rd6-7, he and his agent can find the best fit for him that will give him time to recover and develop. I wish him luck. If the Bills don't take a QB early (I think they will), then I'd have no problem with Chad being signed as a UDFA and put on IR or practice squad for a year.

See Tony Romo. Yet with his character issues Chad might never make it to anything but a backup in the NFL.

Only in Buffalo would fans still want to draft a guy who:

1) wasn't anything special to begin with

2) can't control his inner rage

3) has had 2 football stopping injuries in the last year

4) flunked a basic passing test on his pro day

5) currently has an injured hand that required surgery (yeah his throwing hand)

Insane I say. Totally friggin insane.

Why do people still want to waste a draft pick on this guy? - Just because his last name is Kelly and he has an uncle who used to be good.

You can't make this stuff up.

Think about it. Dude can't even throw a football right now. Bills fans = draft him anyway. Gotta have him no matter what = Insane

Absolutely nothing about this chump is NFL caliber. Nothing. Just my opinion.

Don't like him at all but he has proven to be an idiot over and over again. That said, if he's there in the 7th or UDFA, I'd take him. It might finally be his reality check to grow up and he's not as good as he thinks he is.

We don't have a 7th rounder. Looks like this injury will mean that he won't be drafted. UDFA if he's willing to work his way up the depth chart.

Only in Buffalo would fans still want to draft a guy who:

1) wasn't anything special to begin with

2) can't control his inner rage

3) has had 2 football stopping injuries in the last year

4) flunked a basic passing test on his pro day

5) currently has an injured hand that required surgery (yeah his throwing hand)

Insane I say. Totally friggin insane.

Why do people still want to waste a draft pick on this guy? - Just because his last name is Kelly and he has an uncle who used to be good.

You can't make this stuff up.

Think about it. Dude can't even throw a football right now. Bills fans = draft him anyway. Gotta have him no matter what = Insane

Absolutely nothing about this chump is NFL caliber. Nothing. Just my opinion.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think that the majority of Bills fans on this board want to see us take a shot on Chad Kelly just because his last name is Kelly and his uncle is the best QB we've ever had and a HOF'er. They want us to draft Chad Kelly because the kid can play. Does he receive more attention because he is Jimbo's nephew? Without a doubt, but I think you are wrong if you say he isn't a talented QB. I completely agree that he has some major character issues, and his injuries are a serious concern both now and in the future. However, Bill Polian, one of the best GM's in NFL history, and who has no incentive to do so, called him the most talented QB in the draft. I highly doubt Chad has some nude photos of Bill and a Ukranian hooker stashed away in some safety deposit box, so I assume Polian had no obligation to say what he did. Polian didn't just say CK was good. He called him the most talented QB in the draft. In my opinion that is a ringing endorsement.

I acknowledge that Chad has an enormous amount of growing up to do, and that he's one bad decision away from never even making it to the NFL, but I do believe he has the talent and skill set to be a starting NFL quarterback, maybe even a franchise QB one day.

Mark my words, SOMEBODY is going to give this kid a shot, and I still see him getting drafted. The thought that scares me above all others about him, is seeing him go to a team other than the Bills and blossom into a franchise QB, something we haven't had since his uncle. As several other posters have stated, it's going to be hard to see the name Kelly on the back of another team's jersey and watch him come into New Era field and shred us.

While I respect your opinion, calling the kid a chump seems a bit harsh.

Edited by smuvtalker

Not sure what the hate is for, I watched 4 of his games and he was the most likely QB at a decent school that was able to drop back in the pocket and throw deep and accurately, as well as having a (shudder) ability to take off and run when required.

No room on the Bills roster for a man who can QB from the pocket and look downfield and lead receivers into passes.....

QBs at the top schools ran a tinker-toy option game which will most likely not translate into a long and successful NFL career, actually almost of them have for the 4 decades I've watched.

Edited by row_33

Will not be able to throw for 3 months,per espn. Starting out nicely for the kid. Yeah it`s his throwing hand.

Sounds perfect for the Bills. We're used to seeing quarterbacks being unable to throw for three months or more.

Not a chance. Even without considering his serious medical concerns - or his even more serious character concerns - he's got a lot of issues.

His positives are excellent anticipation and a strong arm. His negatives (aside from medical and character) are that he:

- had problems learning a college offense that were bad enough that it had to be simplified for him

- has poor pocket awareness

- has terrible footwork

- has poor weight distribution on his throws

- is shorter than preferred

He'd definitely be draftable if not for the medical and character issues, though. He probably would have been a mid round pick. I pray the Bills don't even take him on as an UDFA though. No way would I want that distraction or ensuing controversy. Can you imagine how some fans and media would clamor for him to see him start/play if he was on the team?

You said this in the other thread and I'll tell you the same thing again. You have no idea what your talking about. Ole Miss runs a very complex offense, Kelly was the leading passer in the SEC in 2015 and was leading again in 2016 until the acl injury. I'll point out again his 740 yards and 6td's and 0 int's in 2 games against Alabama. He is a knucklehead but to pretend that he doesn't have talent is just wrong.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think that the majority of Bills fans on this board want to see us take a shot on Chad Kelly just because his last name is Kelly and his uncle is the best QB we've ever had and a HOF'er. They want us to draft Chad Kelly because the kid can play. Does he receive more attention because he is Jimbo's nephew? Without a doubt, but I think you are wrong if you say he isn't a talented QB. I completely agree that he has some major character issues, and his injuries are a serious concern both now and in the future. However, Bill Polian, one of the best GM's in NFL history, and who has no incentive to do so, called him the most talented QB in the draft. I highly doubt Chad has some nude photos of Bill and a Ukranian hooker stashed away in some safety deposit box, so I assume Polian had no obligation to say what he did. Polian didn't just say CK was good. He called him the most talented QB in the draft. In my opinion that is a ringing endorsement.

I acknowledge that Chad has an enormous amount of growing up to do, and that he's one bad decision away from never even making it to the NFL, but I do believe he has the talent and skill set to be a starting NFL quarterback, maybe even a franchise QB one day.

Mark my words, SOMEBODY is going to give this kid a shot, and I still see him getting drafted. The thought that scares me above all others about him, is seeing him go to a team other than the Bills and blossom into a franchise QB, something we haven't had since his uncle. As several other posters have stated, it's going to be hard to see the name Kelly on the back of another team's jersey and watch him come into New Era field and shred us.

While I respect your opinion, calling the kid a chump seems a bit harsh.

If I had to put numbers on it, I would say that out of all the Bills fans who want the Bills to draft Chad Kelly (probably 10% of them - my guess) honestly might have wanted him even if his last name wasn't Kelly. The other 90% of those people (or thereabouts) are biased because of his last name.

Dude had a season ending injury that could have permanently affected his physical abilities. Then he failed his pro day basic passing test. Now he has surgery on his throwing hand. So nobody knows how that is going to affect his ability to pass (which wasn't stellar to begin with). Yet there are at least a couple handfuls of people who still want the Bills to waste one of their very limited and precious draft picks on the guy. The odds of this guy overcoming everything and becoming a franchise QB in the NFL are next to zero - like really really really close to zero. Between the physical stuff and the mental stuff - no friggin way.

I don't care if Chad Kelly gets a shot in the NFL or not. I think that (if he does) he will make Ryan Fitzpatrick look like an accurate passer. So I hope if Kelly gets a shot, he gets his shot on a team the Bills can play 2x every year. Seeing him running for his life and getting his ass handed to him by the Bills would be pure enjoyment.

It would make for even better entertainment when the story breaks after the game that Chad tried to fight the ball boy on the sideline because he thought the boy made a face at him.

I think this cements him as a UDFA imo. No one is going to spend a draft pick on him. I'd bring him in if we're going that route.

On the field concerns. Off the field concerns. Medical concerns...

You're right. Why draft him?

But I don't know how much I'd want him as a UDFA. Do you really want Jim calling McD to ask why Chad's not getting enough reps?