Just a Hunch - Clearing Cap for Dont'A Hightower

BBills14

Yes! Minus the concussions.

Kuechly - 242 lbs, 4.58 forty, 6.92 three cone, 4.12 short shuttle, 38 inch vertical

Hightower - 265 lbs, 4.68 forty, 7.55 three cone, 4.64 short shuttle, 32 inch vertical

They're nothing alike.

Kuechly - 242 lbs, 4.58 forty, 6.92 three cone, 4.12 short shuttle, 38 inch vertical

Hightower - 265 lbs, 4.68 forty, 7.55 three cone, 4.64 short shuttle, 32 inch vertical

They're nothing alike.

Yeah but......well......I got nothin'.

They're nothing alike.

ragland - 6'1'' 247 4.72 forty, 7.55 three cone, 4.28 short shuttle , 31.5 vert

just adding this here for completeness

He is an inside LB in a 3-4 Scheme. jrober38 is way too smart for me.

Kuechly is a rangey, speedy MLB. Hightower is a slower thumper like Brown, Spikes, Ragland.

Collins would've been the guy to pursue, IMO. Much more versatile.

i think that is great thought.. why not.. i am not that football savvy on schemes and "fits".. etc.. guy seems like a beast

As others have pointed out in this thread, he is not at all a fit for the 4-3. He would be a liability in the 4-3, so you would be spending a ton of coin on a guy who can't help you.

The Bills need to get faster and more athletic at LB.

Hightower is the same type of guy as Ragland and Brown. Big, plodding run stoppers who struggle in space.

The Bills need a true WLB. Right now, I would expect Ragland to play MLB and Preston Brown to play SLB.

Right now, we need to someone who excels in coverage.

If not him, then what FA linebacker out there would fit thr new D?

We need to draft someone.

None of the guys in free agency fit what we need.

Hightower is the same type of guy as Ragland and Brown. Big, plodding run stoppers who struggle in space.

The Bills need a true WLB. Right now, I would expect Ragland to play MLB and Preston Brown to play SLB.

the only thing i find interesting is although Ragland has a slower 40 time, he has a pretty fast 20 yard split; close to Keuchly actually . 20 yard split is probably more applicable to football than the 40; of course, his 3 cone isn't as fast, which is also correlatable

Hightower is definitely not a coverage guy. As a rookie he was pretty bad in coverage, and he has improved since then, but he is definitely only average in that regard. He is a monster coming downhill, both against the run and as a blitzer. Not a sideline to sideline pursuit guy (like a Ray Lewis or an Urlacher), so if that is what you want out of your LBs, you'd probably be overspending.

the only thing i find interesting is although Ragland has a slower 40 time, he has a pretty fast 20 yard split; close to Keuchly actually . 20 yard split is probably more applicable to football than the 40; of course, his 3 cone isn't as fast, which is also correlatable

I think the 3-cone drill is arguably the most important movement drill for linebackers.

In the NFL linebackers need to be agile, and you have to be able to change direction quickly. Sub 7 second three cone drills are indicative for guys who can be 3-down players in the NFL. Guys posting mid 7 second 3-cone drill times are changing direction as well as some defensive tackles.

If you're running a 3-cone in the mid 7 second range, you're probably coming off the field in passing situations.

Edited by jrober38

Others have made the comparisons to Ragland and they fit. I would like it in the sense he can take Ragland under his wing and help him develop, but the scheme fit isn't great, especially for the price.

I think you could do some interesting things formationally in a dime with Lawson - Dareus - Hughes and Hightower / Ragland filling the ILB gaps between the 3 down linemen, perfect for some zone blitz schemes, but that's not the type of defense we are setting up to run.

Then who, in this draft, would fit what we need?