The only Mahomes thread you need

Estro

My scouting report on Mahomes is available on the forum: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191919-evaluation-of-5-quarterbacks-in-the-2017-draft/

Edit: As I say... I wouldn't hate the Bills taking a shot, especially with a trade back first. But I honestly believe if the kid starts early in the NFL it will be messy.

So, I like what you say and I agree with many things you wrote. But here's the counter--you say his footwork is sloppy but the ball gets to where it needs to be with a zip that no other QB in this draft has.

My take on evaluating QBs is this...screw mechanics, I do not care. What I care about is:

is the guy a playmaker?

Does he throw receivers open?

Can he extend plays?

Does he panic when the pocket collapses?

When he scrambles do his eyes stay downfield?

Personally, id like to see the Bills spend the 10th on Mahomes and bring in Josh McCown. Look, next year ain't the year the drought ends. We're outgunned by superior QBs seasonlong. Let's get our guy (Mahomes) and play him when he's ready. If he's not ready week 1, plug in McCown.

I respect your insight. Good thoughts. Either way, I think we both agree this QB hell that we've been in for 20 years HAS to end.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of us have the actual boards for NFL teams but indications are that Mahomes can be had cheaper than that.

That's what we thought about Russell Wilson. He'll be there in round 4. Trade up and get Graham first. Buddy was right. If there's a QB you want, you better take him earlier rather than later.

In both situations the people in charge didn't get the right player in here. Whaley and his team have had plenty of time to address the QB position long term and have yet to be successful in doing so. If they like any of these guys I would hope they would stay put at 10 and make the selection. If they don't take a QB then they better get players in here that make an impact because the absence of a quality QB for another length of time is going to seal Whaley's fate.

They didn't get the player in 2004 because the teams ahead of them wouldn't trade back. They didn't pass on Ben. They tried hard to get up in get him. You can't hold that against them.

The Wilson situation is the opposite almost. They had a need and passed on him multiple times. They even traded up in the 3rd and still didn't take him.

Well, it's still early. If word gets out that teams value him much higher than you have to take him at 10 if you believe in him and know he will be gone.

Just the people in the know that talk to NFL teams initially seems like a late 1st/early 2nd.

In the draft, teams are going to come out of it with 6 or 7 picks. Ordinarilly, I think that trading back & receiving an extra pick or two is a good idea. Except, if you are looking for a QB. If you like a certain QB, then just do it & don't mess around being cute.

I respect your insight. Good thoughts. Either way, I think we both agree this QB hell that we've been in for 20 years HAS to end.

We do agree on that. I am on record as saying I'd take Watson at #10 but if they take a QB in the 1st either at 10 or with a trade back I am not going to kill them for it even if it is one I am not that high on - Bandit is higher than me on Mahomes and I respect the heck out of Bandit's evaluations. But we are both amateurs. One would hope Whaley and co are better at this.

They didn't get the player in 2004 because the teams ahead of them wouldn't trade back. They didn't pass on Ben. They tried hard to get up in get him. You can't hold that against them.

The Wilson situation is the opposite almost. They had a need and passed on him multiple times. They even traded up in the 3rd and still didn't take him.

My point is once you find the guy, do what it takes to get him. I don't care if you trade away all of the 18' draft to land the right guy. Find him and draft him. If he isn't in this draft then bolster then roster and cross your fingers that another Dak Prescott doesn't emerge because once again OBD will have missed. If they take Mahomes at 10 or any of the other guys I will be onboard until it fails. Watson/Kizer would have me doubting the decision making but I'd like the fact that they took their guy. Don't screw around and try accumulating a 2nd round pick and miss out on a QB.

We do agree on that. I am on record as saying I'd take Watson at #10 but if they take a QB in the 1st either at 10 or with a trade back I am not going to kill them for it even if it is one I am not that high on - Bandit is higher than me on Mahomes and I respect the heck out of Bandit's evaluations. But we are both amateurs. One would hope Whaley and co are better at this.

The thing with GMs is they're so scared of drafting a QB in the first because they're basically betting their livelihood on it. Sadly, I don't think Whaley has the balls to use the tenth pick on a QB. The Bills always find excuses to not address the position which explains our drought. If the Bills take a QB I'll assume it came from the Pegula's.

My point is once you find the guy, do what it takes to get him. I don't care if you trade away all of the 18' draft to land the right guy. Find him and draft him. If he isn't in this draft then bolster then roster and cross your fingers that another Dak Prescott doesn't emerge because once again OBD will have missed. If they take Mahomes at 10 or any of the other guys I will be onboard until it fails. Watson/Kizer would have me doubting the decision making but I'd like the fact that they took their guy. Don't screw around and try accumulating a 2nd round pick and miss out on a QB.

that seems so simple

it isnt

giving away your whole draft for a qb?

who does that?

and what gm in their right mind would do it.....

OBD likes to perpetuate the myth that they tried to get Big Ben, so they were convinced he was the guy but couldn't part with more picks to get the job done? That's simply unacceptable. If your willing to swing picks around for ILB's and WR's you damn sure better overpay when you know your future QB is not going to make it to your pick. The strategy I listed above does one thing...it eliminates excuses because no excuse exists for a QB starved team to get trigger shy when they know their guy is there.

Enough with the this job is hard baloney, Whaley makes big bucks. Find the quaterback and get him to the podium, stop with the purgatory talk and we woulda coulda shoulda. If you want to work in the NFL find a guy that actually has "it" or GTFO.

giving away your whole draft for a qb?

who does that?

and what gm in their right mind would do it.....

Gotta be another Ditka out there somewhere, right? Imagine if Ricky Williams was a QB. The Saints would still be paying.

OBD likes to perpetuate the myth that they tried to get Big Ben, so they were convinced he was the guy but couldn't part with more picks to get the job done? That's simply unacceptable. If your willing to swing picks around for ILB's and WR's you damn sure better overpay when you know your future QB is not going to make it to your pick. The strategy I listed above does one thing...it eliminates excuses because no excuse exists for a QB starved team to get trigger shy when they know their guy is there.

Enough with the this job is hard baloney, Whaley makes big bucks. Find the quaterback and get him to the podium, stop with the purgatory talk and we woulda coulda shoulda. If you want to work in the NFL find a guy that actually has "it" or GTFO.

this is a little different then what u initially said

Here's what I would do:

cut TT, restructure Dareus, sign Cousins with the money you just saved (yes he will cost you 18M), and draft Mahomes to back him up, even if you have to burn a 10 pick on him.

draft the best wr in the 2nd round then Dbacks all the way (throw in a kicker)

gotta keep swinging for the fences with qb's, there is no other way to win a superbowl.

Here's what I would do:

cut TT, restructure Dareus, sign Cousins with the money you just saved (yes he will cost you 18M), and draft Mahomes to back him up, even if you have to burn a 10 pick on him.

draft the best wr in the 2nd round then Dbacks all the way (throw in a kicker)

gotta keep swinging for the fences with qb's, there is no other way to win a superbowl.

Cousins wants much more than $18 per year.