Official: Leslie Frazier Hired to be McDermott's DC

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL considers an assistant to assistant a " lateral move" not a promotion

The league calls it a lateral move, but the coaches know its not. It's definitely frowned upon to not let someone go though for something that's a promotion like position coach to coordinator.

Especially in this case where Steve Wilks is going to replace McDermott as DC

Either way it is easy. Hire Holcumb as DC and assistant HC there promotion cant be blocked

And i knew it cant be blocked and Postion Coach to Coordinator is a promotion

If the Bears wanted to hire away a team's contracted quarterbacks coach to run their offense, there would be nothing that could stop them, because going from a QB Coach to an Offensive Coordinator would be a step up.

For example; If Chicago had their eye on Pittsburgh Steelers QB Coach Ken Anderson, they could hire him to be their new Offensive Coordinator, but not as a QB Coach (no lateral moves). Another example; If the Bears were interested in Kyle Shanahan, current offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans, they wouldn't be able to hire him as their new OC unless they added the Assistant Head Coach title in addition to his coordinator duties. Now if either of these two have their contracts expire after the 2009 season they'd essentially be free to sign with any team for any position.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.windycitygridiron.com/platform/amp/2009/11/25/1173920/rules-on-hiring-nfl-coaches?client=safari

Edited by MAJBobby

Either way it is easy. Hire Holcumb as DC and assistant HC there promotion cant be blocked

And i knew it cant be blocked and Postion Coach to Coordinator is a promotion

If the Bears wanted to hire away a team's contracted quarterbacks coach to run their offense, there would be nothing that could stop them, because going from a QB Coach to an Offensive Coordinator would be a step up.

For example; If Chicago had their eye on Pittsburgh Steelers QB Coach Ken Anderson, they could hire him to be their new Offensive Coordinator, but not as a QB Coach (no lateral moves). Another example; If the Bears were interested in Kyle Shanahan, current offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans, they wouldn't be able to hire him as their new OC unless they added the Assistant Head Coach title in addition to his coordinator duties. Now if either of these two have their contracts expire after the 2009 season they'd essentially be free to sign with any team for any position.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.windycitygridiron.com/platform/amp/2009/11/25/1173920/rules-on-hiring-nfl-coaches?client=safari

Incorrect. The league has only 2 categories for coaches: assistant and head. There is no third category for coordinators

But again nothing in there says it can be blocked or permission given. Just a 15 day exclusive negotiation windo for expiring contracts.

I guess they could be a dick and say nope not good enough to run our defense Wilkes is but stick around here because we are blocking an advancement oppertunity

But i am wrong i admit it. Kind of a ****ty rule and should be changed maybe you would see some more diversity in the coaching ranks

Edited by MAJBobby

Frazier would be a great get. This is McDermotts defense. To have someone as knowledgeable to know how to instill game plans and tweak different nuances from past experience and not confuse the players would be awesome.

This is what I think. McDermott is going to install his defense and I imagine will call defensive signals. The OC is 10x the more important hire. The DC here needs to be one of two things, a very solid, experienced guy who used to be a HC and can help McD out - a guy just like Frazier - or an up and coming whiz kid who is on his way to being a great DC in a few years. Both the other guys rumored, John Butler and Al Holcomb, fit that bill.

The league calls it a lateral move, but the coaches know its not. It's definitely frowned upon to not let someone go though for something that's a promotion like position coach to coordinator.

Especially in this case where Steve Wilks is going to replace McDermott as DC

Yep. Bills tried to pull this will assistants when Pettine left. It didn't work out. If an assistant wants to leave, they obviously should be made to continue in their current position.

Isn't that what McDermott does? Rush 4, play a lot of zone and throw in the occasional blitz?

Some truth to this. They mix up their coverages more than what you might term a traditional Jim Johnson defense but what McDermott does do is attack the A gap early and often. Watching the Panthers you often see the first blitz they call in a game is a double A gap blitz.

Some truth to this. They mix up their coverages more than what you might term a traditional Jim Johnson defense but what McDermott does do is attack the A gap early and often. Watching the Panthers you often see the first blitz they call in a game is a double A gap blitz.

I'm all for a double smacking of Brady up the A gap, early and often!