Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

33 pages for a rumor. Very impressive boys and girls.

I can not believe they would have made this decision already. It has nothing to do with the Jets game.

First they don't have to make a decision right now. Second they don't have a HC to get their input.

This is 100% speculation.

Rumor? Joe B vouches for his pal Schefty. He would never make anything up.

Joe Buscaglia Retweeted wanger

I don't think Adam Schefter, one of the best in the business, is just making this up for the sake of it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can not believe they would have made this decision already. It has nothing to do with the Jets game.

First they don't have to make a decision right now. Second they don't have a HC to get their input.

I can't believe this. How can the front office NOT have made their decision? They've seen everything there is to see. Nothing new is going to come to light before the decision needs to be made. It's done. There could be no greater indictment of the front office than if they didn't know what they were going to do. Part ways with Tyrod. Keep Tyrod. Either is far better than not knowing what they're going to do.

I can't believe this. How can the front office NOT have made their decision? They've seen everything there is to see. Nothing new is going to come to light before the decision needs to be made. It's done. There could be no greater indictment of the front office than if they didn't know what they were going to do. Part ways with Tyrod. Keep Tyrod. Either is far better than not knowing what they're going to do.

Because you have to take a look at the field with your coach and look at alternatives. If Tyrod is the best available QB, we need to put the best available on the field. The contract itself isn't even awful or overbearing.

So yes, they probably already saw what they need to see but that isn't the whole of the decision, unless they plan on tanking.

No way this is just a rumor IMO. There is just way too much smoke; way too much. Only confusing part is that there is this much smoke to begin with. You figure without a HC, there would be a little less noise regarding TT and whether or not he'll stay/go. The fact that it appears a given, tell me one of the of following:

1. The Bills have made up their minds that they're not bringing TT back, regardless of who they hire at HC, and therefore any/all interviews are based on what the HC will do with the team without TT. The candidate is made aware that TT is not part of the picture during the interview.

2. The Bills know they'll hire Lynn and Lynn has either made it known he's OK without TT or that he'll accept whatever the Bills decide to do with TT (which is let him go).

It has to be one of the two. If all these reports end up being false and the Bills keep TT, it'll be one of the biggest gaffs in recent memory by media/reporters.

No way this is just a rumor IMO. There is just way too much smoke; way too much. Only confusing part is that there is this much smoke to begin with. You figure without a HC, there would be a little less noise regarding TT and whether or not he'll stay/go. The fact that it appears a given, tell me one of the of following:

1. The Bills have made up their minds that they're not bringing TT back, regardless of who they hire at HC, and therefore any/all interviews are based on what the HC will do with the team without TT. The candidate is made aware that TT is not part of the picture during the interview.

2. The Bills know they'll hire Lynn and Lynn has either made it known he's OK without TT or that he'll accept whatever the Bills decide to do with TT (which is let him go).

It has to be one of the two. If all these reports end up being false and the Bills keep TT, it'll be one of the biggest gaffs in recent memory by media/reporters.

Regarding #2, if I had to choose which aspect, I'd say Lynn has made it known he's OK without TT, based upon his comments at his press conference before the Jets game.

Because you have to take a look at the field with your coach and look at alternatives. If Tyrod is the best available QB, we need to put the best available on the field. The contract itself isn't even awful or overbearing.

So yes, they probably already saw what they need to see but that isn't the whole of the decision, unless they plan on tanking.

No chance. Whaley will have made his decision about Tyrod and he will go with a coach that agrees with him. No way does he tie himself to a coach that he doesn't see eye to eye with.

And Tyrod's contract is substantial. The team will be tied to him for at least two seasons at a cost of $40.5M. You've got to genuinely believe in him to move forward with him because he's going to be your QB. If you're Whaley, then he's going to be the guy you tie your tenure in Buffalo to. If you're the new HC, then with Tyrod you have real, immediate expectations for improvement. He's got to be your guy. Or you can choose your own guy and get a little extra time.

I don't see the Bills keeping Tyrod. He's the best QB that's been in Buffalo in a long, long time, but he's limited. He's not going to get you to a Super Bowl. That is really the clincher for me.

I don't see the Bills keeping Tyrod. He's the best QB that's been in Buffalo in a long, long time, but he's limited. He's not going to get you to a Super Bowl. That is really the clincher for me.

I'm so sick of reading this bull ****. There isn't a quarterback alive who can get a team to a Super Bowl all by himself.

No chance. Whaley will have made his decision about Tyrod and he will go with a coach that agrees with him. No way does he tie himself to a coach that he doesn't see eye to eye with.

And Tyrod's contract is substantial. The team will be tied to him for at least two seasons at a cost of $40.5M. You've got to genuinely believe in him to move forward with him because he's going to be your QB. If you're Whaley, then he's going to be the guy you tie your tenure in Buffalo to. If you're the new HC, then with Tyrod you have real, immediate expectations for improvement. He's got to be your guy. Or you can choose your own guy and get a little extra time.

Where do you see $40.5 million? I see $15.9 million in 2017 and $16.7 million in 2018. That is a very reasonable salary for a starting QB, and like I said, if there is no alternative, then why wouldn't we? Unless we plan to tank.

Are you rolling 2019, 2020, and 2021 signing bonus into that assuming we cut him after 2018? Even then, I believe there is some cap relief in spreading it out to 2019.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Edited by What a Tuel

Seems like more speculation. The new coach should and will be allowed to weigh in on this decision.

You could be right, but, "and the Bills don't have any intention of paying it," doesn't sound like pure speculation to me.

Does sound like it could be possible posturing on re-negotiation, though.

Where do you see $40.5 million? I see $15.9 million in 2017 and $16.7 million in 2018. That is a very reasonable salary for a starting QB, and like I said, if there is no alternative, then why wouldn't we? Unless we plan to tank.

Are you rolling 2019, 2020, and 2021 signing bonus into that assuming we cut him after 2018? Even then, I believe there is some cap relief in spreading it out to 2019.

$40 mill is what is guaranteed if he stays for two years. It's guaranteed if he's still on the roster in March 2018.

Guaranteed means the player absolutely will receive the money. If the player receives the money in any form it goes, without exception, on the salary cap.

In this case, it would go on the cap for the third year. He would be on the

When you're calculating the impact of a contract, you don't ignore some of the impact because it falls on a year you'd rather not talk about. You calculate the entire impact. If he stays for two years, the entire impact would be $40.5 mill. In exchange we'd get two years of the performance of Tyrod Taylor.

I'm so sick of reading this bull ****. There isn't a quarterback alive who can get a team to a Super Bowl all by himself.

It's not bull ****. You're reading it like bull ****, but what he wrote was fine.

Where in that post did he say anyone would or could "get a team to a Super Bowl all by himself." Never. The "all by himself" part is all you, Wayne.

The fact that some QBs are more likely to get you to the Super Bowl - not alone, of course, but with eleven players on the field at all times - is wildly obvious.

It could depend on how re-negotiation goes, for one scenario.

On what a new head coach thinks, for another.

I'd agree with you that they must be leaning one way or the other by now, though.

Edited by Thurman#1

He's not going to get you to a Super Bowl. That is really the clincher for me.

BarleyNY is wrong on two fronts.

First.......yes, Tyrod could get you to a SB. If we are, ya' know, BEING LITERAL this fact is not actually debatable.

The list of QB's that's taken teams to SB's includes the likes of Stan Humphries, Jake Delhome, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson.......and of course the worst of all.....2015 SB champion Peyton Manning.

Second........the whole use of the "he's not good enough to get you to a SB" is an argument used against LONG TERM commitment.

So he isn't going to take a Bills team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 17 seasons to a SB in the next TWO YEARS? That's the argument? Really? :lol::doh:

Here is a concept to consider......what about maybe trying to string together a couple winning seasons and build identities on both sides of the ball?

Maybe eliminate the culture of losing?

I'm not going to be satisfied with a playoff trip now and then either but for chrissake perhaps BABY STEPS would be a start at least. :lol:

This. Bet if our defense was as good as it was supposed to be we couldve made it into the playoffs and won a game or two.

Pushing the anti-CoT agenda.

Agreed.

It's an interesting and most likely wrong decision that will blow up in Whaleys face, but not surprise.

Yep. He drops Tyrod, he wont find anyone better this off-season. He's gone and Pegs drains the swamp which might be a good thing in the long term but were gonna have to suffer through a season of two of tanking and losing our best players to old age, or trades for picks.

Yeah - Just don't know how we improve with all of these Free agents...

QBs - TT and EJ gone

RBs - Bush, Felton

WRs - Woods, Hunter, Goodwin, Harvin, Tate... so all of them except watkins

TEs - Gragg - just a guy

Oline - Mills is gone

D-line - Bryant and Douzable, possibly kyle

LBs - z brown, lorax, Mccray, humber

Secondary - White, Gilmore, and all the safeties assuming we cut graham and awilliams retires.

By my count we need at least 1 QB, 4 wr's, probably a TE, a RT, probably 2 or 3 d-linemen, 2 lb's, at least 1 starting corner, and 4 safeties.

How do you draft and sign people to fill all that.. and improve.

The Bills went 7-9 with that.

Who cares if they don't resign all them. Pick some you like and sign them.

Money paid or guaranteed to a player must be accounted for on the cap. Some of Taylor's cap hit would be deferred, but those dollars still must be accounted for. Deferring a cap hit can help in the near term, but eventually the team has to take the hit.

BS. The Bills beat one .500+ team this season - the Patriots who started an injured 3rd string QB. Taylor is a big part of the reason why, I'm not putting it all on him (or any QB) to carry the team to a SB, but he should be able to help them get there and not hold the team back.

This. Bet if our defense was as good as it was supposed to be we couldve made it into the playoffs and won a game or two.

I've seen a lot of this crap, too. The defense was very average - 15th in yards/game and 16th in points per game. They weren't what they were two seasons ago and they weren't what Rex told us we'd get, but they weren't nearly the biggest issue on the team. It wasn't the 1st ranked run offense either. My guess at what held the Bills back most in 2016 was their 31st ranked passing offense. Specials didn't help either.

I've seen a lot of this crap, too. The defense was very average - 15th in yards/game and 16th in points per game. They weren't what they were two seasons ago and they weren't what Rex told us we'd get, but they weren't nearly the biggest issue on the team. It wasn't the 1st ranked run offense either. My guess at what held the Bills back most in 2016 was their 31st ranked passing offense. Specials didn't help either.

defense wins titles. look at what the chiefs did to carr...held him to 10 and 13 points. you need your defense to win a game for you a few times a year. they couldn't do that at all.

Could they have made the decision before the Jets game? That would have cut off any conversation about injury, no? Sure there would have been blowback from the media, but if the decision was made back then, why wait?

The NHL is not the NFL. The Pegulas would look ridiculous firing coaches in consecutive seasons. If the plan is a rebuild, then Whaley should be gone now with a new GM hiring a new HC. Not buying what you're selling.

Two words. Sam Darnold.