Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

It's pretty simple IMO. You have 2 options:

1) Keep TT and the offense and try to fix the defense. A functioning defense and the Bills are certainly playing this weekend.

2) Hit the reset button and tear it down. Reset the table, let the old guys walk, clear your bad contracts, play the young guys and try to get Darnold.

Either move forward and fight for a playoff spot or bottom out. Downgrading the QB position this year and expecting improvement isn't an option. That's flat stupid. If you like one of the top guys in this draft go ahead at 10 but I'd prefer to wait for the better guys in 2018.

I agree. The two best options. Hot or cold, not lukewarm.

You can not keep TT with the deal that is on the table. You rip that one up you let him test FA and if there is still interest you offer him a similar deal that is instead tied to incentives instead of guarantees

TT is a good stop gap but there are better options

What do you mean by 'you can not keep TT with the deal that is on the table'? The only thing guaranteed in it is his option bonus, and next year's salary for injury only. It is an appropriate contract for a middle of the pack QB.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you won't, as I stated earlier TT had the Bills at 25.9 ppg with the #1 running game this year and in 2013 EJ had the Bills at 22.3 ppg without the #1 running game. Yes that is a 3 ppg drop off but there are a lot of QBs out there better than EJ and TT for that matter that, IMO will be closer to 25 ppg than not.

Steelers scored the same amount of points this year as the Bills with Roethlisberger, Brown and Bell. Bills had a good offense and Taylor ran it the way Rex wanted him too. Taylor should be brought back. IMO

This QB draft, as it stacks up now, is a weak class. Reminds me the year EJ was drafted, 2013 Reach again in the First round and set the team back 3 to 4 years. This team is going no where without a decent QB. Taylor was a top 20 QB. FA market is lean too.

We're going to stealth tank next year. They are going to build him up and then throw Cardale to the wolves, win 3-4 games and then draft a QB next year.

Remember when Whaley said we were in QB purgatory?! Looks like they don't plan on finishing 7 and 9 next year. Look out Cleveland, we're coming for you.

idk why anybody believes anything that comes out in our media now - especially our sports media

im expecting tyrod to be back. its been said many times but ppl seem to ignore it, that his existing contract would pay him as the 20th highest paid starter in the league. and thats not even counting the rookie deals that a bunch of the bright young new qb stars are getting paid. those figures are only going to keep going up and since his salary would remain static for five years he would become more and more of a value

tyrod is flawed but hes certainly good enough to be paid 20th in the league. their best bet is to retain him and start drafting qbs every season. unfortunately they would have to carry three qbs until they figure out what they have in cardale, but unless they really are going to intentionally tank (unlikely) then they have little choice

Steelers scored the same amount of points this year as the Bills with Roethlisberger, Brown and Bell. Bills had a good offense and Taylor ran it the way Rex wanted him too. Taylor should be brought back. IMO

Rex is gone and the next guy probably won't have an offense like bedrock Rex.

Remember when Whaley said we were in QB purgatory?! Looks like they don't plan on finishing 7 and 9 next year. Look out Cleveland, we're coming for you.

Right, cause we all know that Tyrod is the GOAT and nobody out there can't possibly be as good or better.

Right, cause we all know that Tyrod is the GOAT and nobody out there can't possibly be as good or better.

That's what the Buffalo Bills think. The point was Whaley was saying in order to get a top quarterback in the draft the Bills were winning too many games. Now you follow what's next...

Let's assume for argument sake that Whaley has a very dim view of TT. If that is the case then his willingness to dispatch TT makes a lot of sense. The biggest issue Whaley probably has with the fleet footed qb is that he doesn't see the whole field. When Whaley watches the tape he sees receivers get open but the qb doesn't properly respond. Whaley repeatedly sees plays develop and the qb's timing to react to the play is just too late to make the connection. This is what the GM sees time and time again. If that is the GM's assessment then in his mind wouldn't it be better to bring in a qb such as McCarron or Glennon who can run a pro offense at a cheaper price?

You often cite statistics to strengthen your case. That is a tribute to you. But statistics don't often apply to plays that are not made that could be made. Whaley invested a lot of resources in both Watkins and Clay. You don't think that the GM gets highly aggravated when he sees these receivers get open and the ball isn't thrown to the spot where it should be thrown?

I have strong suspicions that Whaley doesn't see the cost $$$$ benefit with TT. He has probably made a judgment that unless this running qb adjusts his contract downward then he is not worth the cost. You may think his approach is injudicious and a tad reckless but I don't.

I think this is almost entirely correct and what indeed has been going through the minds of the front office. We will find out soon enough. Whaley is usually extremely positive even when trying to spin bull ****. He is rarely overly positive when speaking about Taylor, I would lean towards Taylor being shown the door.

We're going to stealth tank next year. They are going to build him up and then throw Cardale to the wolves, win 3-4 games and then draft a QB next year.

It's a very real possibility. Obviously the Bills can't and won't come out and admit this. They do want to sell tickets after all.

"Mouse" Davis had Kelly using his "run and shoot" offense in the USFL and Ted Marchibroda is the one I credit in fully developing Kelly as he is the one who taught him to call his own plays on the field.

I also credit Miami HC Howard Schnellenberger for running a pro style offense and he brought in Earl Morrell as QB coach. The one thing Kelly was great at from the start was running that 2 min drill and so when Ole Ted had Kelly run the no huddle it was like the 2 min drill all game long.

Man, I miss those days when the Bills had an elite starting QB!

I give Teddy a ton of credit as well but it's important to know that Kelly hit the NFL floor running as a result of his USFL experience. He credited Davis with teaching him how to read defenses and preparing him for what he saw in the NFL. And it's worth noting Kelly was in the league three full seasons when Marchibroda arrived on the scene and took him to the next level. It was that loss to the Browns that gave birth to the K-Gun and convinced Teddy to give Kelly the keys. We talk about simplified offenses and that's exactly what Kelly enjoyed under Marchibroda. Usually not more than a dozen plays and variations off those depending on what Kelly saw at the LOS and a talented group that all sang from the same sheet of music.

A lot of things came together at the same time to facilitate Kelly's success; an Oline with 4 pro bowlers and/or All Pros and a fifth in John Davis who deserved those honors as well. An HOF RB, two HOF receivers, and a defense that could get after QBs when leading by often big margins.

Seems like another lifetime ago.