Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

Well that's certainly a superficial way to evaluate the situation

No, I get it. He definitely had some runs in the last few years.

I'm trying to stay positive, it's just that I don't know a lot about the guy, and reading through a lot of his history I see as many causes for concern as I do highlights. I don't hate the move, and it's probably the least opinionated I've felt about a HC in the last 5 or 6 (HA!).

Was he a hot candidate last year? It sort of feels like we're hiring him with the whole, "this past season never happened, but..." mentality - something I'm not a huge fan of, to be honest.

May have missed this posted earlier, but like the guys passion on the field.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch-Sean-McDermott-Wired-for-Sound/e50801f3-8146-44b0-bc09-6df0c406cb9a

He had me at "Great angles create great tackles" and "Make sure we understand what's going on here!"

Duke Williams adhered to the opposite of that motto.

@RiverboatRonHC

#CoachMcDermott proud of your contributions to @Panthers. The @buffalobills are getting 1 heckava Coach. Best of luck to u & Jamie.

@CoachTomlin

Congrats to my college teammate, Sean McD on the Buffalo job. #TribePride

But why would they publicly congratulate him? We all know they are secretly whispering about the train wreck of the bills and how it's a mistake to take this job, and blah blah blah.

No, I get it. He definitely had some runs in the last few years.

I'm trying to stay positive, it's just that I don't know a lot about the guy, and reading through a lot of his history I see as many causes for concern as I do highlights. I don't hate the move, and it's probably the least opinionated I've felt about a HC in the last 5 or 6 (HA!).

Was he a hot candidate last year? It sort of feels like we're hiring him with the whole, "this past season never happened, but..." mentality - something I'm not a huge fan of, to be honest.

For as bad as Rex was if he had hired Schwartz he'd be preparing for a divisional playoff game this weekend.

McDermott needs to hire very good coordinators and find a way to get production out of his QB position.

So basically......he needs status quo on O and to not suck on defense and ST.

I love the hire. If we can get McCoy it seems as though something special could be happening at OBD...first time since the 80's.

The switch back to a true 4-3 along with McDermott's belief in a more simple D should propel us way up in the rankings. Rex was pathetic and a choice that I was disgusted with it from the day he was hired. I like this hire: a former PA state champion wrestler so this man knows how to work. I also suspect he will hold these guys accountable which, I believe, was one of Rex's undoing (coupled with retaining a D that no longer works: he didn't change with the game).

For the first time in many off seasons, I am now looking forward to next year. All of the others I was only excited about simply being at a game for the camaraderie. I believe this is the day Whaley saved his job and the Bills will become relevant again. The last question (and it's a doozie):who will our QB be? I hope they retain and restructure TT (hurts to say that) unless they've got another card up their sleeve.

Let's go Buffalo!!!

From the Sirius interview w Panthers S Kurt Coleman:

- McDermott is not going to be outworked. Always at the facility, would seem him working out at 5am (Yes - our new coach works out). I would think "I can't let the coach out work me!"

- Gil: "He's a teacher, not a hollerer. I was impressed with him" KC: "He kept telling me YOU can play this game, be smart, work hard, make plays. It always stuck with me."

- Marvez: "Did you see him grow as a coach?" KC: Tremendously. Very receptive to listening to the players, he wants to try and understand your point of view. And if he agrees, he'll make changes - a lot of coaches won't do that,"

- McDermott is not going to be outworked. Always at the facility, would seem him working out at 5am (Yes - our new coach works out). I would think "I can't let the coach out work me!"

- Gil: "He's a teacher, not a hollerer. I was impressed with him" KC: "He kept telling me YOU can play this game, be smart, work hard, make plays. It always stuck with me."

- Marvez: "Did you see him grow as a coach?" KC: Tremendously. Very receptive to listening to the players, he wants to try and understand your point of view. And if he agrees, he'll make changes - a lot of coaches won't do that,"

Koolaid I can drink there

i have to say something about Kurt Coleman (a fine Buckeye). He was a good, not great, DB at OSU. Drafted in the 7th rd to Philly (I thought he went a little late compared to college production and he had pretty good size and speed.) he did absolutely nothing in Philly and was eventually cut. Signed with Carolina and all of a sudden was a very effective starter in Mcdermotts system. Had a bunch of picks last year and signed a nice extension. I think he gets the best out of his players and doesn't need "elite" players to do so. Keep in mind josh Norman was late round pick.

Nice quotes and compliments.

i have to say something about Kurt Coleman (a fine Buckeye). He was a good, not great, DB at OSU. Drafted in the 7th rd to Philly (I thought he went a little late compared to college production and he had pretty good size and speed.) he did absolutely nothing in Philly and was eventually cut. Signed with Carolina and all of a sudden was a very effective starter in Mcdermotts system. Had a bunch of picks last year and signed a nice extension. I think he gets the best out of his players and doesn't need "elite" players to do so. Keep in mind josh Norman was late round pick.

Probably also why we originally targeted their DB coach as our potential DC!