Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

This guy is the real freaking deal. I love it!

Hearing about his almost maniacal work ethic and attention to detail is music to my ears

I'm very neutral on this hire as I've heard all this before (remember the depictions of Greggo's maniacal work ethic? And Marrone's hard nose attention to detail?)... :sick:

Hoping for the best, as always, but I admittedly am tuning out as much of the superfluous articles and reports about the guy's history, it just seems easier that way. The hype train is always in full force with any new hire, and as a Bills fan who has gone through this every three years for the better part of two decades, I have become immune to it.

"Bills fans are 90% scar tissue" after all. :beer:

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be this excited about the new coach a week ago.

I really think this guy could do a great job here. He's pretty much the opposite of Rex: disciplined, attention to detail, young and hungry, looking to make a name for himself, fitness freak, super serious.

Everything you hear from former players is about how this guy will outwork everyone in the building, and you better be ready to bring it.

I'm loving all of it. IMO if we had that THIS season we're going to NE* Saturday night in the divisional round.

I'm backing McDermott because he is now my team's coach. I was not inspired by the hire, nor was he my first or second choice of reasonable possibilities. It's hard not to like what you read about the guy, what other people think of him, his work ethic, etc.

But let me pose this question: How many Steve Tasker, over-achiever types, like he inarguably is, have eventually made great NFL coaches? Not saying there hasn't been any. But who comparably has become a great coach. The great coaches, to me, have almost always been the strong personality, bigger than you, Lombardi/Parcells/Bellichick/Pete Carroll leader of men types. Marv/Bill Walsh were the intellectual type. Just a question.

I'm backing McDermott because he is now my team's coach. I was not inspired by the hire, nor was he my first or second choice of reasonable possibilities. It's hard not to like what you read about the guy, what other people think of him, his work ethic, etc.

But let me pose this question: How many Steve Tasker, over-achiever types, like he inarguably is, have eventually made great NFL coaches? Not saying there hasn't been any. But who comparably has become a great coach. The great coaches, to me, have almost always been the strong personality, bigger than you, Lombardi/Parcells/Bellichick/Pete Carroll leader of men types. Marv/Bill Walsh were the intellectual type. Just a question.

All good observations.

All good questions.

I honestly have no idea how you would tell who will be a good HC. Guys who seem like slam dunks fail all the time.

I would look for work ethic, attention to every tiny detail, and a history of results as a coordinator.

I think he fits those criteria well.

In the end, how much if it comes down to having a QB? Belichick is an amazing coach but before Brady his record was "meh" worthy. Pete Carroll won his division at 7-9 one season in Seattle.

I think if you have the talent you're 3/4 of the way there, and a good coach takes you from 9 to 11 wins. Without talent, forget about it.

I'm very neutral on this hire as I've heard all this before (remember the depictions of Greggo's maniacal work ethic? And Marrone's hard nose attention to detail?)... :sick:

Hoping for the best, as always, but I admittedly am tuning out as much of the superfluous articles and reports about the guy's history, it just seems easier that way. The hype train is always in full force with any new hire, and as a Bills fan who has gone through this every three years for the better part of two decades, I have become immune to it.

"Bills fans are 90% scar tissue" after all. :beer:

This kind of mediocre acceptance is where I'm at as well. There wasn't any candidates out there that got me excited. I knew I didn't want Coughlin, and I mostly didn't want the Seattle DC, but everyone else was just kind of "meh".

Everything about the guy sounds great now that he's hired, but I just can't get excited right now. I'm not expecting much until the season starts this year. I really don't even expect all of the inevitable high praise from the players about how great things are under the new coach when camp starts to budge my enthusiasm level.

It's just time to see some results already! Unfortunately, there's nothing to do about that for about 8 months.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be this excited about the new coach a week ago.

I really think this guy could do a great job here. He's pretty much the opposite of Rex: disciplined, attention to detail, young and hungry, looking to make a name for himself, fitness freak, super serious.

Everything you hear from former players is about how this guy will outwork everyone in the building, and you better be ready to bring it.

I'm loving all of it. IMO if we had that THIS season we're going to NE* Saturday night in the divisional round.

Ive been excited about him since his name was mentioned for the same reasons. Hard to get excited about any coordinator yet to be a HC because you never know what you will get. But with all of the candidates being coordinators that were linked to us, he was my favorite. He brings what this team lacks, and I think his D style is a way better fit for our personnel.

Maybe grow up a bit? It's also a community and we don't really care for comments that demean women or Asians.

breh. i am a !@#$in child. im not supposed to grow up yet.

Im a minority and some of my best friends are filipino. So that point is mute. Maybe yall need to grow up and not let **** thats not PC affect you on a message board

Edited by Marty McFly

breh. i am a !@#$in child. im not supposed to grow up yet.

Im a minority and some of my best friends are filipino. So that point is mute. Maybe yall need to grow up and not let **** thats not PC affect you on a message board

Oh...so if you're a minority it's fine to demean other races. It was more then not PC.