Coach search has come (again) who is the best fit?

mead107

To be fair to Shaw, the one year he had luck they passed it a ton (Luck had 3517 yards in a 13-game season). After that, he ran it a lot more, but look at who had as QB.

I wasn't talking about just the passes vs. runs. When Rex said "every coach in America would have punted there" David Shaw fits that. I want someone that attacks and plays an aggressive brand of football. That's more of what I was referring to.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't talking about just the passes vs. runs. When Rex said "every coach in America would have punted there" David Shaw fits that. I want someone that attacks and plays an aggressive brand of football. That's more of what I was referring to.

Fair enough. I agree about that. At the decisive moment in the Rose Bowl, he pounded it up the middle on 4th and 1 against MSU and got stuffed. That's the predictable conservative play there.

Call me a homer, but I'd like to see Frank Reich as HC. Former QB in the league that's familiar with game time situations. Been around winning organizations. Should be able to attract top coordinators. Knows the area and the pulse of the Buffalo fan. And should be able to make Chad Kelly, who the Bills should draft as their QB, a better person with his spiritual leadership.

Homer. (Doh)

Pj fleck

minnesota is hiring him. (University of)

Edit: never mind now they might hire Les Miles. Good luck with that one gophers

Edit: back to Fleck. tentative agreement with Gophers to be the next head coach. 6-yr, $21M range.

Man I really want to see Les there instead

Edited by YoloinOhio

Silver is going on a bit more:

Nick Todaro @onsidesnick

your not paying close attention are you? Whaley wants a puppet

Michael Silver @MikeSilver 1m1 minute ago

I am talking to the people in charge, fool #your

ROTFL! Kudos to Michael Silver for not following the media-herd narrative.

This is beyond wrong. Nate Hacketts offensive design is well, offensive. It's remedial and unimaginative. McDaniels route concepts are exceptionally designed and it works with smaller, quick WRs instead of huge physical specimens . Easier to find in the draft. The Offense works even with NE backup QBs. It helps Brady as much as he helps the O. The Offense is built around match ups on the field, not Tom Brady. If the QB can scan the field, stay in the pocket and find the open guy McDaniels offense works.

I get it: McDaniels was a young, inexperienced HC in Denver given too much authority.

I get it: the offense he's running in NE works brilliantly. How much is McDaniels, and how much is the system and discipline that were in place after he left the first time and before he rejoined? How much is Brady?

I would have described young Sam Bradford as a QB who can stay in the pocket and scan the field to find the open guy. Yet when McDaniels was the OC in St Louis, Bradford in his 2nd year as QB had a terrible, horrible, no good year. Now it's not uncommon for rookies to have a bit of a "sophomore slump", but this was beyond slump. 10 games, 6 TD, 6 INTs. 53.5% completion. McDaniels left, Schottenheimer came in, and Bradford magically regained his form, which was not as "The Man" the Rams hoped for, but a capable NFL QB.

So this is why I am skeptical of McDaniels. If he were to interview here and be chosen, I'm OK with it. If he goes to San Diego or whatever where he'll have a QB who can stay in the pocket and scan the field, I'd like to see what he can do.

I had heard that it's very unusual for coaches to stay within the same division when they switch teams. I could see him not wanting to face Belichick and Brady 2x a year, irrespective of any Bills drama.

Call me a homer, but I'd like to see Frank Reich as HC. Former QB in the league that's familiar with game time situations. Been around winning organizations. Should be able to attract top coordinators. Knows the area and the pulse of the Buffalo fan. And should be able to make Chad Kelly, who the Bills should draft as their QB, a better person with his spiritual leadership.

I think if this happens, it would lend some weight to the speculation that Russ Brandon is still putting his thumb on the football decision scales. Hiring Reich and drafting Chad Kelly would be a huge nostalgic PR move for the Bills. So yes, I would call you a "homer"

Note: I am only referring to the Reich/Kelly combination. Frank Reich by himself might be a good choice, though he's only a bit over Lynn-level OC experience, and I'm concerned about his level of involvement in various business ventures.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Let's think strategically. What qualities matter most to you? To me, number one is to draft and DEVELOP a real NFL QB. Until that happens the Bills are going nowhere. We will continue to be laughed at and made fun of until we get someone that can make NFL throws and beat down teams. QB is more important than ever and the NFL rules favor offense. Look at the Patriots. They used to focus on defense first but now it's all offense and the defense is the after thought.

So which candidate has a great offensive mind for the current and future NFL, can be here 10+ years and can function as the de facto Quarterback Czar (because let's face it, Whaley does not inspire here)?

Jim Bob Cooter. He is a master at working and developing and even correcting QB play. He has shown he can set up a modern NFL offense. He has connections around the league and Peyton wanted him as offensive coordinator. Under him Stafford went from a better version of Cutler into a QB that limits mistakes while being deadly in the 4th quarter.

Bring him in, let him pick his quarterback, maybe Mahomes, and let's go.

All these other choices will have us in the 6-9 win bucket 2 years from now.

What if Denver hires him? He's going to get a bunch of HC interviews. It's not even a little crazy.

McDaniels is my top choice but I'd love to see them try to get Dabo.

I'll ask you, since you know I'm not just being snarky....what do you like about McDaniels? It seems like he's been fired an awful lot when he's not working for Belichick. I know that's generally the life of a coach, but I honestly don't know what makes him so appealing? I respect your opinion, so I'm just asking. Also, Dabo won't come, but it's a very intriguing thought.

PS - I skipped to the end and apologize if you've explained this to no end already.....

We don't know that to be true at all. In his game as the HC he didn't dress a guy because he didn't practice hard. If anything, the small sample size says that he wouldn't take ****.

Does that mean he is the right guy, no. He isn't my first choice but to act like interviewing him is crazy is asinine. He is interviewing for 4 of the 6 jobs at least. You originally made it sound like "if we are interviewing this guy we can't identify candidates." Denver, LA, and SF also view him as a candidate.

And how many penalties did we have in that game again? That alone was refreshing.....

Edited by Augie

Let's think strategically. What qualities matter most to you? To me, number one is to draft and DEVELOP a real NFL QB. Until that happens the Bills are going nowhere. We will continue to be laughed at and made fun of until we get someone that can make NFL throws and beat down teams. QB is more important than ever and the NFL rules favor offense. Look at the Patriots. They used to focus on defense first but now it's all offense and the defense is the after thought.

So which candidate has a great offensive mind for the current and future NFL, can be here 10+ years and can function as the de facto Quarterback Czar (because let's face it, Whaley does not inspire here)?

Jim Bob Cooter. He is a master at working and developing and even correcting QB play. He has shown he can set up a modern NFL offense. He has connections around the league and Peyton wanted him as offensive coordinator. Under him Stafford went from a better version of Cutler into a QB that limits mistakes while being deadly in the 4th quarter.

Bring him in, let him pick his quarterback, maybe Mahomes, and let's go.

All these other choices will have us in the 6-9 win bucket 2 years from now.

Agree that developing QB is most important. Jim Bob Cooter, a crazy trade for Peyton, or McDaniels all check this box (even though McDaniels 1 example is Tebow lol).

Edited by dayman

Whoever we hire, they need to go to the cemetery and retrieve a finger from Lombardi, a strand of hair from Tom Landry, and a femur from chuck noll and make the most awesome witch's brew and hope it works. Otherwise, the new coach needs to sign Doug flutie and give him a chance to complete a whole season. Only way to break the curse

What if Denver hires him? He's going to get a bunch of HC interviews. It's not even a little crazy.

McDaniels is my top choice but I'd love to see them try to get Dabo.

Unlikely Denver hires him. I'm thinking Kyle Shanahan will get that job. If the don't hire Kyle, I'd love to see him come here as coach, keep (and assist) Lynn as OC, and bring aboard Gus Bradley as DC

@billsupdates

Why would anyone want to coach Buffalo Bills? Here are 7 reasons: http://trib.al/QdwCutD

Apologies if this has already been posted here. A bit chancy on the facts (I don't see how one can describe the Bills as "spending the last few weeks of the season feuding with their QB") but they put is in the middle of the pack for desireability, which is I think fair taking into account location, ability to attract FA etc.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/2/14144912/2017-nfl-head-coaching-vacancies-ranked

Sounds like Vance Joseph is the guy in Denver

Really? Why?

Edit: I guess it's being called by the same people who have Lynn and Gus Bradley here, so I'll keep the salt shaker handy

Offer Saban whatever it takes.Bill Simmons called Nick a coward for leaving the Dolphins and afraid to take on Billicheck who he calls the greatest coach EVER. This is a great opportunity for Saban to prove to the Dullfins and the Cheats.....He's the real deal.