GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"just to clarify..." over and over

He is not going to say anything. GMs do not tell the media stuff that is going on in the organization. He has talking points. What do they think is going to be divulged?

One of them even sounded like he never read Pegula's statement that was released on the Rex firing.

That point is well taken, but that doesn't mean you handle that PC in the manner Whaley just did.

The national media will have a field day with that performance.

He is not going to say anything. GMs do not tell the media stuff that is going on in the organization. He has talking points. What do they think is going to be divulged?

One of them even sounded like he never read Pegula's statement that was released on the Rex firing.

It's amazing how few people get this.

So when someone at you work gets fired, do you go up to the CEO and ask why he was fired?

No because I do not report directly to the CEO but Whaley does. If I cared about the move I would ask that persons direct manager.

Edited by Bob in STL

He said he had nothing to do with it. And why would he, according to the structure Rex reported directly to Pegula. Pegula would have to do the firing.

because it affects his job directly. and btw Doogie is one serious liar and terribul poker player

My thoughts:

1. Nothing new was going to be learned beforehand and nothing new was learned. Because Whaley was never going to say anything of worth.

2. He's just flat lying. Several times. I like Whaley as a GM but that was awful. I understood what he was saying, every single question, but he was parsing words like a Clinton, and it was embarrassing.

3. He didn't want Rex but wasn't against Rex. It was said when Rex was hired that he wouldn't report to Whaley so he wouldn't be responsible for him. Therefore he wouldn't fire him nor would he need to address it. We knew all that.

4. We didn't learn anything about Lynn, about Tyrod, about Rex, about the Pegulas, about any player. It was almost a complete waste of time as I expected.

YEP

Once again, our intrepid "reporters" show up to a scrum and are flabbergasted when a scoop doesn't fall into their fat bitter laps.

He reports directly to ownership. Of course he should know why Rex was fired. In his position he requires the retrospective and alignment with his bosses so as not to repeat the same failures. From what he said, he has no idea what happened and no interest in finding out. He's either being dishonest (as Sully tweeted) or this organization has a very serious leadership problem.

I said this earlier and I will say it again (if you believe Doug's narrative), he just threw ownership under the bus (live on radio/TV) like he did behind the scenes with Rex.

This is the beginning of the end of St. Doug II I predict.

Edited by Peter

Obvious DW wasn't interested in doing the press conference, but it was a evil necessity. Media is a bunch of hacks and DW knows that and just beat around the bush the whole time just trying to get to the finish line. Waste of time by everyone involved.

My thoughts:

1. Nothing new was going to be learned beforehand and nothing new was learned. Because Whaley was never going to say anything of worth.

2. He's just flat lying. Several times. I like Whaley as a GM but that was awful. I understood what he was saying, every single question, but he was parsing words like a Clinton, and it was embarrassing.

3. He didn't want Rex but wasn't against Rex. It was said when Rex was hired that he wouldn't report to Whaley so he wouldn't be responsible for him. Therefore he wouldn't fire him nor would he need to address it. We knew all that.

4. We didn't learn anything about Lynn, about Tyrod, about Rex, about the Pegulas, about any player. It was almost a complete waste of time as I expected.

That's 100% on the media questions that were asked.

Obvious DW wasn't interested in doing the press conference, but it was a evil necessity. Media is a bunch of hacks and DW knows that and just beat around the bush the whole time just trying to get to the finish line. Waste of time by everyone involved.

This was entirely predictable, which is why Whaley showing up last week was unnecessary because it would have been this schitshow a week earlier and before the season was over.

In other words it changed no minds.

Media's act for the past 10 days has been shameful.

This team's performance for the last 17 years has been shameful. How you can try and make the media the villains in all of this is !@#$ing mind boggling.

I am a cup half full kinda guy. I want to think things will get better. But after listening to that press conference, I have finally concluded the entire organization needs to be completely blown up.

My Lord, that was awful.

He knows why. He's just not going to publicly disparage Rex.

Why the secrecy? Just tell it like it is. Rex's defense was a poor fit for the personnel and it wasn't working. We appreciate Rex's effort and wish him all the best. The End.

My goodness this is so ridiculous.

That's 100% on the media questions that were asked.

Yep they pursued the same dead end about team structure, critiquing the ownership through questions to the GM as if he was going to speak for them and their decisions. Now they'll act apoplectic that he didn't, like it's their first !@#$ing days as adults.

This team's performance for the last 17 years has been shameful. How you can try and make the media the villains in all of this is !@#$ing mind boggling.

did u listen to the presser? The media was hunting, not asking the right questions. Nothing came out of it because nothing was asked. All they wanted was a chance to bury the fork.

Why the secrecy? Just tell it like it is. Rex's defense was a poor fit for the personnel and it wasn't working. We appreciate Rex's effort and wish him all the best. The End.

It's ridiculous you think that's how these things work.

I am a cup half full kinda guy. I want to think things will get better. But after listening to that press conference, I have finally concluded the entire organization needs to be completely blown up.

My Lord, that was awful.

Welcome. 17 years late to the party but hopefully more and more start to see the light. We are a 2nd rate organization. We have rich owners. Blow it up and do it right this time. I don't want to maybe make the playoffs. I want to win the super bowl and dominate

yeah. Whaley should have shut them down, his attemp at transpatency didn't go very well when he couldn't or wouldn't answer those questions with conviction.